Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

Like others...if I hadn't picked up the ASUS Transformer a few months back, I'd probably jump on this...

It's just missing an HDMI port, SD card port, and some of the open functionality that the other Android tablets offer (such as non-Amazon video files, etc.)...but who knows, I might end up picking one up for kicks!

[quote name='daminion']Take a look at your ruler and see what 1/2 an inch looks like.[/QUOTE]

Or just take a look at my dick. Wait, no, that didn't come out right.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']"Gorilla Glass"

That sounds badass.[/QUOTE]

Until you realize it's not actually made from gorillas :(

[quote name='ssjmichael']Nice edit there. The Kindle Touch $99 is indeed ad supported

From what I've seen at the thread at SD they provide a lot of great offers now and then so I think it's definitely worth getting that model over the any other Kindle right now.[/QUOTE]

Several months ago the offers definitely worth it. My Kindle paid for itself by selling extra codes I dont need (laptop, camera, etc.) They gotten worst over the last month but maybe they will get better with a new version.

I pre-ordered, but there's no word on which version of android(at least 2.2 obviously), RAM, or android market accessibility. Good thing I still have 2 months to decide. :D

I've waited long enough to purchase a Tablet, never owned one. Amazon always came through for deals on the last few years, so just ordered one Kindle Fire. Thanks Cheapy.

Pre-ordered a Kindle Fire. This seems exactly what I'm looking for in a tablet, and I already enjoy using the Amazon Cloud MP3 player at work.

[quote name='daminion']I'm amazed there aren't comments about the thickness of this thing. It's .45 inches thick! That's nearly half an inch. This thing is a brick.

I pad 2 is only .34.[/QUOTE]

...it may be .11" thicker, but it costs $400+ less.

[quote name='aznhero913']I can see this having a BF sale price a couple weeks after it's release...

If I hadn't bought a Dell Streak a couple months ago, I'd probably jump all over this too.[/QUOTE]

I can see this being sold out a couple weeks after release...

[quote name='dohdough']I pre-ordered, but there's no word on which version of android(at least 2.2 obviously), RAM, or android market accessibility. Good thing I still have 2 months to decide. :D[/QUOTE]

Actually I hear It might be running Android 2.1 underneath, it'll have 512mb of RAM and I believe it has some sort of market access.

I don't mind that it's completely skinned but that comes with the price of not having access to the standard Android OS and thus it's going to lack in functionality compared to other Android tablets out there. Another downside I just discovered is the lack of any physical volume controls which I find very convenient when listening to music on my Archos tablet.

For $199 it's a hell of a deal, but just don't expect the whole Android experience until people get around to rooting it

[quote name='mrbomb']I'll be getting the $79 dollar Kindle for sure.[/QUOTE]
Those thinking of getting the $79 over the $99 one keep this in mind.
5 way touch vs. Multi-touch
1 month battery vs 2 month battery
2 GB vs. 4 GB
though the $79 one is slightly smaller and slightly lighter

As expected, it's a nice price point as the gateway drug for Amazon's services. :D

Processor in it has been used in a number of cellphones and tablets, so it's a proven chip and chipset. Size looks nice and since it's a Amazon streaming device, that's an easy sell for Prime at $79/year for streaming services.

Amazon App store works well enough for what it offers, though as it doesn't have all the apps the Android store has, as well as having slower updates than the Android store. I'm sure they've also removed the Android store option from it, though hopefully they haven't neutered the ability to go to the Android store website.

Price is lower than expected, though I'm sure the TouchPad firesale had something do with it. Expect the usual "7 inch tablets don't work" comment from Apple, though as it's Kindle-sized in form factor, it's obviously a proven size with millions of Kindle users.

Also a nice shot across the bow at Barnes And Noble with the Nook Color, as this is a better device than the Nook Color and you don't have to root it to make it a mostly-full Android tablet.

The OS version is the big question, though will it ever get upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich?

[quote name='guardian_owl']Those thinking of getting the $79 over the $99 one keep this in mind.
5 way touch vs. Multi-touch
1 month battery vs 2 month battery
2 GB vs. 4 GB
though the $79 one is slightly smaller and slightly lighter[/QUOTE]

Using the term touch for the $79 model might confuse people. It's just a 5-way controller button, the capacity and even the battery life aren't that big of a deal to me, but no doubt I'd still opt for the touchscreen model personally. I played around with a 1st gen Nook which I really liked, but it's hard to get used to a lack of touchscreen on that size device after using my tablet and phone for so long now.

[quote name='CheapyD']Ordered the Fire and the new non-touch Kindle which ships now. I would have gotten the special offers one, but those won't ship to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Just pre-ordered mine too Dave. I guess my biggest question is...will you play Words with Friends with me?

Cheers,
Tony

I knew this was going to be a budget tablet but I still feel a little disappointed by it. The Non-Touch Kindle on the other hand is really tempting and I already have a Kindle Keyboard, which is a terrible name. Why didn't they just call it the Kindle Classic or something that didn't sound like it was from the web 1.0 era. I think the special offers is the way to go since there are some great deals on there.

Gorilla Glass: The only thing keeping you alive at the zoo while having a giant monkey pick his bellybutton lint and showing it to you proudly from less than a foot away.

GorillaGlass.jpg

Hurray for competition! I personally don't care for apple so this brings a smile to my face and competition is good for everyone. I will pick one up for my mom, since I got one of the HP touchpads. If these sell well Amazon will be releasing a larger size tablet in the future.

[quote name='shrike4242']Also a nice shot across the bow at Barnes And Noble with the Nook Color, as this is a better device than the Nook Color and you don't have to root it to make it a mostly-full Android tablet.?[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? From what I've seen it just looks like a highly customized GUI running on top of Android 2.1, but without access to the whole OS. I think you still might have to root this to get the complete OS.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Are you sure? From what I've seen it just looks like a highly customized GUI running on top of Android 2.1, but without access to the whole OS. I think you still might have to root this to get the complete OS.[/QUOTE]I'm sure we'll get a complete dissection when the Android mod folks get their hands on one around 11/15/11, like they're currently doing with the TouchPad. Rooting the Nook Color seems to be somewhat easy enough, and I believe it's running on 2.2 now from 2.1.

Depending on how long this thing has been cooking in development, it could be Android 2.1 or 2.2. I doubt it's 2.3 or 3.x, though I'd be surprised if it wasn't running 2.2 that's heavily skinned.

[quote name='daminion']It's .45 inches thick! That's nearly half an inch.

I pad 2 is only .34.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you had the courtesy to round the number for us. Anyway, the Fire costs a great deal less than the iPad 2 yet functions very similarly. And .11 inches isn't a big deal; You must be another Apple drone.

I love this tablet since I use so much of Amazon's services.
But I have an iPad and won't deal with two tablets.

Definitely getting the Kindle Touch though. Looks so nice.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']My only concern about this is the WiFi. If I'm not on WiFi, is the tablet "obsolete"[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a WiFi signal, then you have no access to the internet. So the browser, email, etc. will not be functional. Apps would still work, provided they don't need internet access to be functional (i.e. ESPN's scoreboard won't update without internet).

I don't see what the big concern over a lack of 3G is anyway. You'd still have to pay for that connection through a wireless provider (no Android tablet will have free 3G access like the Kindle, too much data is downloaded), and those wireless data plans are insanely priced. Plus, there are alternatives. For example, get Sprint's unlimited data plan on your Android smartphone, root the phone, then you can turn it into a WiFi hotspot for free. Bam, instant 4G access at no extra cost over what you're paying for a phone plan. Sure, it takes some work and know-how, but it is worth it to save the many hundreds of dollars per year you'd spend on a wireless data plan for your tablet.

[quote name='BingoBrown']If you don't have a WiFi signal, then you have no access to the internet. So the browser, email, etc. will not be functional. Apps would still work, provided they don't need internet access to be functional (i.e. ESPN's scoreboard won't update without internet).

I don't see what the big concern over a lack of 3G is anyway. You'd still have to pay for that connection through a wireless provider (no Android tablet will have free 3G access like the Kindle, too much data is downloaded), and those wireless data plans are insanely priced. Plus, there are alternatives. For example, get Sprint's unlimited data plan on your Android smartphone, root the phone, then you can turn it into a WiFi hotspot for free. Bam, instant 4G access at no extra cost over what you're paying for a phone plan. Sure, it takes some work and know-how, but it is worth it to save the many hundreds of dollars per year you'd spend on a wireless data plan for your tablet.[/QUOTE]Sprint's going to change their tethering data allowances from unlimited to 5GB/month starting on 10/02/11, so it's not unlimited as you make it out to be and that requires their $30/mo tethering plan. Regardless of it being rooted to tether, you'll get caught one way or the other if you're not paying to tether.

In for one as well. Hard to pass up such a feature-rich, yet reasonably priced color tablet!

I'm not concerned about the lack of 3G for now. Pretty sure that will come later when the Fire is well-established anyways and as others have mentioned, any 3G with a device that supports streaming video and apps is not going to be free. I can see why Amazon would not want to roll out a 3G capable device that would inherently require monthly fees at the moment.

[quote name='shrike4242']Sprint's going to change their tethering data allowances from unlimited to 5GB/month starting on 10/02/11, so it's not unlimited as you make it out to be and that requires their $30/mo tethering plan. Regardless of it being rooted to tether, you'll get caught one way or the other if you're not paying to tether.[/QUOTE]

Can you point me to evidence of people getting caught tethering without paying for tethering? I know I've seen some info about other providers cracking down, like AT&T and Verizon, but I've never seen anything about Sprint catching people.

[quote name='giantqtipz']I already have the 3rd gen kindle. I'm really digging the kindle fire. I can use it to read books too right??[/QUOTE]

nope, no books on the Kindle fire

:roll:

Put in a preorder. I really like the way this tablet looks and I love amazon.
Then I can maybe give my HP Touchpad to my Mom because she really liked it when I brought it over.
I've been trying to get another one for a while with no luck or maybe I'll just keep both and buy my Mom a Kindle Fire.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Yeah, look at that brick!

KO-slate-04-lg._V166984295_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

He's wearing a long-sleeve shirt to hide the wrist brace.

$200 is a great price, and very tempting even though I just got my Touchpad, but if that craps out/gets stolen or something, I'd be over this in a heartbeat if it gets really positive reviews.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Can you point me to evidence of people getting caught tethering without paying for tethering? I know I've seen some info about other providers cracking down, like AT&T and Verizon, but I've never seen anything about Sprint catching people.[/QUOTE]Sprint's going to start cracking down once the tethering limits go into place, especially with the iPhone on the way as has been rumored. Sprint hasn't been doing any real cracking down on people using a rooted phone or cable tethering at the moment, though that's going to change after the 2nd.

[quote name='dohdough']I pre-ordered, but there's no word on which version of android(at least 2.2 obviously), RAM, or android market accessibility. Good thing I still have 2 months to decide. :D[/QUOTE]

engadget says 512 MB Ram

[quote name='shrike4242']Sprint's going to start cracking down once the tethering limits go into place, especially with the iPhone on the way as has been rumored. Sprint hasn't been doing any real cracking down on people using a rooted phone or cable tethering at the moment, though that's going to change after the 2nd.[/QUOTE]

Until I actually see it, that's all speculation. Regardless, paying $30 or more a month for a tablet data plan (i.e. Verizon's $30 2GB iPad plan) is insane unless you've got money to burn. With taxes and other charges, you're looking at a minimum of $400 a year.

The pictures Engadget put up make the Fire look a little on the thicker side. I think the lack of a deal with some 3G provider to get it for $10-$15 is a little disappointing given that one of the main draws of this device is Amazon's Video Service.

Amazon just stepped up the game and just kicked ass here. $200 for a tablet is insane, especially since the Nook Color is $249 at the moment and while the nook color is good, it's not as good as this bad boy.

I might just need to get one of those $80 kindles. If it does PDF reading well enough.

Kindle Fire. Wow great color ereader with some nice extras. An all-in-one amazon "player"..... amazon books, movies, music and apps. With prime it is pretty nice. But without a 3g connection what is the point? So I can watch movies on a 7 inch screen on my couch instead of my 55 inch hdtv?

I do see this being better than the nook and yes better than the old kindles unless of course you like e-ink. It offers quite a bit in a nice price range.

I do think this is the "FIRST" of at least two new kindle color amazon media consoles that will be offered. The second being larger and having 3-4g.

Those who are comparing this to ipads or the like have to realize that it is not meant to be in direct competition with those. Look at the price and look at the capabilities. That and I do not see it advertised or listed on amazon as "tablet" though I may be missing it. But either way this is not that.

Nice COLOR AMAZON MEDIA PLAYER.... look for another coming soon with a few more capabilities.

[quote name='eliter1']I think the lack of a deal with some 3G provider to get it for $10-$15 is a little disappointing given that one of the main draws of this device is Amazon's Video Service.[/QUOTE]

Verizon charges $30 for the iPad 2GB plan. How on God's Green Earth could Amazon have got 3G for $10-$15 a month, especially when the Video Service will be an extreme data hog?

Remember, this isn't the standard Kindle, which uses practically no data when downloading books and its simple games. This is the Kindle fire, which will do internet, music downloads, movie downloads, apps, etc.

[quote name='CheapyD']Ordered the Fire and the new non-touch Kindle which ships now. I would have gotten the special offers one, but those won't ship to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Wow, it's good to be rich, eh Cheapy?

[quote name='giantqtipz']I already have the 3rd gen kindle. I'm really digging the kindle fire. I can use it to read books too right??[/QUOTE]

Of course you can. However, my big concern with buying the Fire for book reading is this: will it be visible under all forms of lighting? My wife has an iPad, and it's pretty much useless in direct sunlight.

[quote name='AwRy108']Of course you can. However, my big concern with buying the Fire for book reading is this: will it be visible under all forms of lighting? My wife has an iPad, and it's pretty much useless in direct sunlight.[/QUOTE]

Which device (game related or not) provides great viewing under direct sunlight? I have yet to see such a thing (psp, DS, nook, etc...all useless under direct sunlight.)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Amazon just stepped up the game and just kicked ass here. $200 for a tablet is insane, especially since the Nook Color is $249 at the moment and while the nook color is good, it's not as good as this bad boy.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. It's a really solid retail price point for what it offers.

That being said, the Acer Iconia A500 is a full size 10" tablet that was being sold for $400 with free $100 gift cards at multiple retailers in August. Amazon itself even offered a promo on the Iconia which ended up dropping the price down to $300 with a free $100 gift card, essentially $200 if you view Amazon credit as cash. I jumped on that deal, which offered more product for the same price as this new Kindle Fire.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Verizon charges $30 for the iPad 2GB plan. How on God's Green Earth could Amazon have got 3G for $10-$15 a month, especially when the Video Service will be an extreme data hog?

Remember, this isn't the standard Kindle, which uses practically no data when downloading books and its simple games. This is the Kindle fire, which will do internet, music downloads, movie downloads, apps, etc.[/QUOTE]

I know it wouldn't be the ideal thing but I think Amazon could have gotten some type of deal. Just because we are all getting charged the typical $30 for data doesn't mean no one else can do it for cheaper they just choose not to. The Kindle Fire 3G is going to come out eventually, I just wonder why it didn't come out at launch.

[quote name='Ed_']Dude don't let it hold you back! The ads are just screen savers, plus you get special offers. I've used all but three special offers sent my way. They've ranged from 25% off snacks (didn't use) to $25 off school books. I bought it when it was $114 for $99 it's a bargain.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention 20% off ANY HDTV. I bought a Kindle just for this reason. Got $300 off my bigscreen - $99 for Kindle = $200 profit and a kindle. Every other coupon has just been a bonus.

What do you guys think of the possibility that next spring Amazon might release a 10 inch Kindle Fire? According to Endgadget one might be coming. I have a 7" tablet already but I am really considering getting the 7" Kindle Fire for all that it can do in one place (Amazon Appstore, movies, etc) and the price is killer. The 10" tablet might be too bulky to carry around and may become a home only device for me which is not what I want since I want portability.

bread's done
Back