Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

I love Amazon and extremely tempting but I'm still going to wait until reviews... However, I already have an ipad 2 (and itching for the iphone 5) so it'd be quite redundant. Maybe pick up the Fire 2 when it's available. :)

picked up the 79 dollar reader. In the past, the special offers have been very good and could potentially pay for the device themselves. The Fire looks like a great device for the price. I already have an ipad so wont be getting one, but I think Amazon has a hit on there hands with that one. Amazon just took a HUGE step forward in the consumer electronics market today.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Until I actually see it, that's all speculation. Regardless, paying $30 or more a month for a tablet data plan (i.e. Verizon's $30 2GB iPad plan) is insane unless you've got money to burn. With taxes and other charges, you're looking at a minimum of $400 a year.[/QUOTE]

You ever heard of This Week in Tech podcast, the host Leo Laporte has made mention that he and a number of his guests on the show have all got caught one time or another.

Damn the Fire is sexy. I already have an iPad 1 but this thing is tempting. I already pay for Amazon Prime every year (and love it) so it would make sense for me in some ways. But I think I will wait until it's out and reviews hit before I jump on it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Amazon just stepped up the game and just kicked ass here. $200 for a tablet is insane, especially since the Nook Color is $249 at the moment and while the nook color is good, it's not as good as this bad boy.

I might just need to get one of those $80 kindles. If it does PDF reading well enough.[/QUOTE]

The Nook Color is also nearly a year old. Pretty impressive that even then it was priced so well. Expect B&N to put out a Nook Color 2 soon that will likely trump the Fire's capabilities and pricing (I'm thinking $179)

I feel like the 3G / Non-3G argument completely brings into question what type of cell phone plan you have. If you've got a smartphone, I just don't see how paying extra for a tablet data plan is necessary (unless you've just got money to burn, as others have said). But I could see the merit of having a tablet data plan in combination with just having a regular old "just for talking" cell phone.

The problem then would be needing to carry two devices around. We've had this problem once before in society, and that's why phones have cameras now. Until we get to the point where tablets are also cell phones, it just feels a little redundant having two devices that you can download Angry Birds from your car on.

[quote name='BigPoppa99']no epub support[/QUOTE]

Assuming you can access apps found in the Google Marketplace you can get another reader app like Aldiko which does support epub

[quote name='Shimrra']You ever heard of This Week in Tech podcast, the host Leo Laporte has made mention that he and a number of his guests on the show have all got caught one time or another.[/QUOTE]

As I stated before, I've heard of people getting busted for rooting and tethering on AT&T and Verizon plans, but never on Sprint. If you've got evidence to the contrary, I'd be interested in seeing it.

If I had not gotten my HP touchpad during the firesale I would be all over this. I can still stream movie through prime using the web browser and it has a kindle reader so I really have no current use for it. It looks awesome and the smaller form factor would be nice in comparison to my heavier Touchpad. I am sure a year from now I will be getting one.

Biggest downside that's keeping me from buying it or as gifts to family, no front facing camera. With a 9 month old and family strewn about, that's a big sale for tablets but a shame this doesn't have one.

[quote name='ssjmichael']If anyone's looking for a true Android Tablet, the Archos 80 G9 is one such option. It's $299 which is $100 more than the Fire, but it also has a ton more features, and is running Honeycomb:

http://store.archos.com/archos-p-5016.html

Archos has been making some solid affordable tablets lately and this one looks like the best yet[/QUOTE]

Here's my two cents. I owned a Archos 250Gb media player a few years ago because I thought my Creative Zen Vision: M bit the dust. The Archos hard drive stop working after two weeks. It wouldn't turn on, and I had to return it to Amazon. Maybe Archos stepped their game up since then. They refunded me, but I really wanted to keep it. Anyways I was able to bring my Creative Zen back from the dead. I already own a HTC Evo 4G that's $77 a month, and I use it quite often. I recently picked up an HP Touchpad, and I use that every day. This is a nice product indeed. I would never pay for a data plan on a Tablet because it's not worth it. My old coworker pays $14.99 for 250Mb for his iPad. He uses that data in about a week. Now that I own the HP Touchpad, I probably won't invest into another phone for a while.

I really want to pull the gun on a new tablet since I missed out on the HP deal, but this kindle fire is wayyy too small IMO. I love amazon but I think I'll wait for the next hottest tablet, hopefully the next ipad comes with USB/SD support. That's the only reason why I don't get one now....

[quote name='PikaPichu']I wish they could have includd some sort of calendar app. :([/QUOTE]

I'm positive you can get a free one from the Amazon App store. I know I downloaded Business Calendar when it was free, and it's by far my favorite calendar app to date. It's reminiscent of my BlackBerry days.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Here's my two cents. I owned a Archos 250Gb media player a few years ago because I thought my Creative Zen Vision: M bit the dust. The Archos hard drive stop working after two weeks. It wouldn't turn on, and I had to return it to Amazon. Maybe Archos stepped their game up since then. They refunded me, but I really wanted to keep it. Anyways I was able to bring my Creative Zen back from the dead. I already own a HTC Evo 4G that's $77 a month, and I use it quite often. I recently picked up an HP Touchpad, and I use that every day. This is a nice product indeed. I would never pay for a data plan on a Tablet because it's not worth it. My old coworker pays $14.99 for 250Mb for his iPad. He uses that data in about a week. Now that I own the HP Touchpad, I probably won't invest into another phone for a while.[/QUOTE]

They've stepped up their game tremendously starting a year or so ago. Their older tablets were quite poor but you can see for yourself based on the reviews at Amazon for tablets like the Archos 70 (which I own and love) that they've made a big improvement

+1 for being a ZVM owner. I actually run a Creative fansite, though the company has seen better days

[quote name='ssjmichael']They've stepped up their game tremendously starting a year or so ago. Their older tablets were quite poor but you can see for yourself based on the reviews at Amazon for tablets like the Archos 70 (which I own and love) that they've made a big improvement

+1 for being a ZVM owner. I actually run a Creative fansite, though the company has seen better days[/QUOTE]

I haven't checked the reviews on their tablets. I didn't know they existed until this thread. It's awesome that you run a fansite though. They're not the same company they used to be. I believe I bought my Creative Zen in 2004 for $250, and it's still operating to this day!? That's possibly one of the best things that I ever invested in.

This is probably amazon's response to the fact Apple and others have hanged up on amazon to keep ebook prices higher. This may be an iPad threatener for being only 200. Practically most in its class are twice the price

Tempting...very tempting. My only problem with the Kindle Touch is that you can't just read a book with one hand now. I'm glad that they haven't completely abandoned the old Kindle design. Kindle Fire looks like it would be right up my alley for the price. It would certainly replace my 8GB iPod Touch.

Pre-ordered a fire ..why not especially since I'm a prime member. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. I will also buy the $79 kindle. The covers (for the $79 Kindle) are expensive though. Are they worth the 40 bucks? Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='raystorm']Pre-ordered a fire ..why not especially since I'm a prime member. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of it. I will also buy the $79 kindle. The covers are expensive though. Are they worth the 40 bucks? Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

I am sure eventually there will be third party case

This is going to have everything I need, and I think that the things that were stripped won't be killer for the general audience. I don't need 3G - I have a mobile phone for web surfing. I don't need GPS or cameras - I have a phone for that. What I do want is a nice tablet that I can use for mobile website testing at work, streaming Netflix at home, and occasionally watching videos and other stuff on planes.

It seems like the Fire fits the bill here 100% for me, and at a very affordable price point. Plus I can sideload the Nook reader onto it and have all of my eBooks since I wasn't a Kindle user.

I just pre-ordered one. This looks GREAT! Now I can sell my HP TouchPad and accessories to a family member who really wanted one for face value.

Plus a $20 promotional credit from FIFA 12 and I'm a Prime member - can't beat it.

Also, the old kindle withnspecial offer jstbhad a deal for 40 percent of on cases...so there's a chance your new kindle mightboffer a deal on a case.

[quote name='62t']I am sure eventually there will be third party case[/QUOTE]

I mean for the original $79 Kindle. Those cases are pricey!

[quote name='raystorm']I mean for the original $79 Kindle. Those cases are pricey![/QUOTE]

That just came out today. Give it a little time

[quote name='62t']That just came out today. Give it a little time[/QUOTE]

oh..sorry. I thought that was just the regular Kindle 3 but at a lower price. My mistake.

I put one on pre order while I make up my mind, but I worry about the size of the thing...it just looks like the screen is tiny, anyone know of a comparable sized tablet that a brick and morter would have so I can hold it?

the 79 dollar model only has a month battery and 2 gb memory, compared to the higher models 4 gb memory and 2 month battery. It might be worth the extra 20 bucks to pick up the touch if those things are important to you. I am not a huge casual reader, so I am still sticking with the dirt cheap model.

Things I need to know:

1. How do you upload your own content on to it? Photos, videos, music, ect. Is it drag and drop, will there be proprietary software like iTunes?

2. How well does the photo & video playback work? Can I double tap a video to make it full-screen like on the iPad?

3. Can I save images from the web-browser?

4. Will that menu & address bar go away while using the web-browser? I know on Apple products the address bar disappears until you tap the top to bring it back - giving you more screen space to browse.

Anyone wondering about the size, just o to best buy and play with the blackberry playbook. The fire is built on a similarly sized chassis. I personally love the size.

[quote name='maddoc1979']Anyone wondering about the size, just o to best buy and play with the blackberry playbook. The fire is built on a similarly sized chassis. I personally love the size.[/QUOTE]

ty maddoc, looks like I gotta make a bestbuy trip this weekend.

[quote name='Kyoz']I really want to pull the gun on a new tablet since I missed out on the HP deal, but this kindle fire is wayyy too small IMO. I love amazon but I think I'll wait for the next hottest tablet, hopefully the next ipad comes with USB/SD support. That's the only reason why I don't get one now....[/QUOTE]

Ahahahahahahahahahaaha. Right, the next iPad with USB/SD support. *wipes away a tear* Oh man, that's a good joke.

...You ARE joking right? You realize you're going to be waiting FOREVER for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could pre-load some of those Amazon Prime videos onto the tablet for 24 hours for when you are going to be outside WiFi range that would be so convenient.

Amazon exceeded my expectations with this new line. I am sticking with my current keyboard Kindle, because I feel like that device was perfected and it was a birthday gift from my mom. But the Kindle touch and the new entry level one are so impressive and are of excellent value.

Amazon continues to win me over, and I hope the Fire sees a lot of success

I got the Touch pre-ordered. I don't have the cash now but will by then so I have to wait anyways. I'm all about E-ink and for just $99 has finally broken my hesitation on this. There have been more and more books I wish I could read on the go and this being my first e-reader, I'm glad I waited.

One thing about using cloud storage for games and apps and movies to extend the 8gb capacity is that you'll need to be connected via wifi to access those in the cloud, right? So I either have to smartly manage what's on my device during trips or times offline or not access some of my content.

I really wish this had SD card support. Since there are not competing models to choose from it seems like something that a later model could have. Unless, of course, they decide to offer 8/16/32GB models themselves.

[quote name='INCyr']Ahahahahahahahahahaaha. Right, the next iPad with USB/SD support. *wipes away a tear* Oh man, that's a good joke.

...You ARE joking right? You realize you're going to be waiting FOREVER for that?[/QUOTE]

"next hottest" tablet. I'm not exactly just waiting for an ipad. I did say I wanted a HP touch but I missed out on that deal.

I would rather have a tablet with a screen bigger than 7". I was at bestbuy the other day and while messing with all the tablets, I enjoyed the ipad the most. The only reason I don't get one is their lack of USB/SD...

I already pay for prime and loved it before all this content. Now a device to access an ecosystem I already am invested in at a reasonable price. Man It's gonna be hard for me to say no to this. Below is a comparison chart between the Nook/Ipad/Fire. I personally think Amazon made a brilliant move not going directly at the Ipad and targeting a more mainstream market!

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/28/amazon-kindle-fire-vs-ipad-2-vs-nook-color-numbers/

[quote name='dallow']I love this tablet since I use so much of Amazon's services.
But I have an iPad and won't deal with two tablets.

Definitely getting the Kindle Touch though. Looks so nice.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious why some people aren't willing to get "two tablets" but are perfectly fine getting an ereader to supplement their tablet.

At least, at these price points, it doesn't seem completely unreasonable to get a Fire to complement your Ipad/Ipad 2...

The only thing that concerns me about the new Amazon tablet is battery life. I mean I have a Nook Color and doing nothing but standby with it can last a few days, but once you start using anything that battery basically goes to fuck. Reading isn't bad on it but the more intensive things will eat away at it.

If you don't mind charging it often, then sure it's a pretty good deal.

[quote name='ijustw1n']One thing about using cloud storage for games and apps and movies to extend the 8gb capacity is that you'll need to be connected via wifi to access those in the cloud, right? So I either have to smartly manage what's on my device during trips or times offline or not access some of my content.[/QUOTE]

Every McDs now has free wifi access. Along with every other fast food restaurant having it. It's not THAT big of a deal. If I know I am going on a trip where I won't have a lot of wifi access (flight etc) I preload a movie or 2 and manage apps accordingly.

bread's done
Back