Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

My mothers birthday is coming up and she has never used a computer before.

Would the Kindle be a good tool to introduce her to web browsing? Like Youtube and Facebook/Email? Music, checking the weather, and browsing her pictures?

I don't want to purchase something that is top dollar, like a Laptop so I'd figured the Kindle would be a great low cost tool to teach her the basics of web browsing and sending messages to family members.

$199 sounds much better than spending upwards of $350 for a laptop. Definitely, I'd get her something more premium down the road.

I know the Kindle is not a full blown computer, which I'd thought it would be great for someone with no background in comp, like an introduction. Doesnt matter if it is not fast since non-tech savvy people dont pay much attention to that. I just want it for the basics so she can use it as such.

How is the PDF format? I'm assuming she will enjoy reading on it.
So should I purchase one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a kindle on super bowl sunday during walmarts free 50$ giftcard with purchase(I gave my aunt the giftcard for her birthday) So far I am enjoy it for web browsing and listening to music on it (cloud). Sorry if this an old thread but CAGs do any of you recommend any good apps for it and how is the experience with the unlimited cloud storage? I am interested in the 20$ a year plan but is there a catch? Thanks for the information and this is my first tablet pc to celebrate my 5 months in working at my job

[quote name='200STM']I just got a kindle on super bowl sunday during walmarts free 50$ giftcard with purchase(I gave my aunt the giftcard for her birthday) So far I am enjoy it for web browsing and listening to music on it (cloud). Sorry if this an old thread but CAGs do any of you recommend any good apps for it and how is the experience with the unlimited cloud storage? I am interested in the 20$ a year plan but is there a catch? Thanks for the information and this is my first tablet pc to celebrate my 5 months in working at my job[/QUOTE]

Don't know if they still have the promo but it used to be if you bought any album on the amazon mp3 album 7.99 or above you'd get the 20GB plan/year

[quote name='200STM']I just got a kindle on super bowl sunday during walmarts free 50$ giftcard with purchase(I gave my aunt the giftcard for her birthday) So far I am enjoy it for web browsing and listening to music on it (cloud). Sorry if this an old thread but CAGs do any of you recommend any good apps for it and how is the experience with the unlimited cloud storage? I am interested in the 20$ a year plan but is there a catch? Thanks for the information and this is my first tablet pc to celebrate my 5 months in working at my job[/QUOTE]
While we are on the subject, anyone tried for a PM at BB?

Yeah forgot to mention picked up a second fire for the house thanks to Wal-Mart's $50 gift card offer. They sold through real fast.

[quote name='DJP519']I think the Walmart deal is theoretically good thru Valentine's Day, if you can find one in stock anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Anyway to find stock ? The online site doesnt list it but sometimes theres ways around that :whistle2:k

[quote name='Slayerfaith1982']I like mine I've had it since it came out. Everyone who has played with it said they think it feels really solid and great build quality and screen

I prefer the form factor to a 10" since I have smaller hands. A few complaints would be the stock browser and no android market support, but I rooted and put a 3rd party browser on it and access to the regular android market, then unrooted. Let me keep all the things I put on like android market, but still have access to Amazon video and everything[/QUOTE]

I prefer the 7" screen anyway. 10" is a little too big to carry around for me, especially living in NYC. I had a question though. Is it possible for the Fire to unroot itself? When I first rooted it to get Market access, I couldn't access Amazon Video. I actually tried the other day and it was working again. I might just re-download a root checker app, but I found that pretty odd.

Either way, if you're new to the Tablet world the Kindle Fire is the perfect tablet to get started. It's cheap, well made, pretty fast, and can do what most other tablets can to a certain extent. I love mine ^_^

[quote name='T9X69']I prefer the 7" screen anyway. 10" is a little too big to carry around for me, especially living in NYC. I had a question though. Is it possible for the Fire to unroot itself? When I first rooted it to get Market access, I couldn't access Amazon Video. I actually tried the other day and it was working again. I might just re-download a root checker app, but I found that pretty odd.

Either way, if you're new to the Tablet world the Kindle Fire is the perfect tablet to get started. It's cheap, well made, pretty fast, and can do what most other tablets can to a certain extent. I love mine ^_^[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the last update Amazon sent OTA about a month ago unrooted all devices. If you have the market APK, just reload it and the market should work it it does not already.

[quote name='ral1121']My mothers birthday is coming up and she has never used a computer before.

Would the Kindle be a good tool to introduce her to web browsing? Like Youtube and Facebook/Email? Music, checking the weather, and browsing her pictures?

I don't want to purchase something that is top dollar, like a Laptop so I'd figured the Kindle would be a great low cost tool to teach her the basics of web browsing and sending messages to family members.

$199 sounds much better than spending upwards of $350 for a laptop. Definitely, I'd get her something more premium down the road.

I know the Kindle is not a full blown computer, which I'd thought it would be great for someone with no background in comp, like an introduction. Doesnt matter if it is not fast since non-tech savvy people dont pay much attention to that. I just want it for the basics so she can use it as such.

How is the PDF format? I'm assuming she will enjoy reading on it.
So should I purchase one?[/QUOTE]

My mother was not computer savvy at all, she has really really basic computer knowledge, just that you click things, and they seem to open. She hasn't stopped playing with her Kindle since Christmas.

As for PDF, I couldn't quite answer that, since I don't ever use it, but my mom has got quite the feel for it now, so yes I think you should get one for your mommy.

Thought that I'd share a pic of the Fire running Android 4.0.4 now that the hardware acceleration issues are sorted:

Screenshot_2012-04-26-13-19-21.png

I'm still tweaking things and the ROMs/kernels aren't fully ready for average user daily use but it's proceeding nicely nonetheless.

Either way the Kindle Fire is now an awesomely priced Android 4.x tablet.:applause:

That is amazing. I've had my Fire for probably a month now, but I've yet to attempt any sort of modding. I've been pretty happy with it so far and have been mainly using it to read comics.

[quote name='Tsel']That is amazing. I've had my Fire for probably a month now, but I've yet to attempt any sort of modding. I've been pretty happy with it so far and have been mainly using it to read comics.[/QUOTE]

I bought one when they launched and I have no desire to mod it.

I got a fire for my birthday and I absolutely hate it. It was a solid waste of $200. I was going to give it to the wife as a mother's day gift(the kid is too little to get her anything), but she hates it too.

Apple products are a lot more expensive, but they work a lot better than a GD fire.

[quote name='VA']I got a fire for my birthday and I absolutely hate it. It was a solid waste of $200. I was going to give it to the wife as a mother's day gift(the kid is too little to get her anything), but she hates it too.

Apple products are a lot more expensive, but they work a lot better than a GD fire.[/QUOTE]

I've had mine for a month and love it. Internet runs faster then my phone and netflix/hulu both run silky smooth. I couldn't live with out it now.

[quote name='VA']I got a fire for my birthday and I absolutely hate it. It was a solid waste of $200. I was going to give it to the wife as a mother's day gift(the kid is too little to get her anything), but she hates it too.

Apple products are a lot more expensive, but they work a lot better than a GD fire.[/QUOTE]

Apple sucks balls. Get lost.

I like the reaction your avatar had to this comment.

I'd say something about how the Kindle Fire is an amazingly Cheap Ass way for Gamers to get their hands on an Android 4.x capable tablet but that shit would just get deleted.

Sorry for participating in Discussions & Bragging Rights.

Just saying.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I'd say something about how the Kindle Fire is an amazingly Cheap Ass way for Gamers to get their hands on an Android 4.x capable tablet but that shit would just get deleted.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Did someone really delete your comment about installing ICS on your Kindle?

Android is open source, there is nothing wrong with installing a different OS on your own device.

The main reason I bought a Kindle Fire was to install 4.0 on it and it works fantastic as a tablet and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. As someone who constantly roots and flashes new ROMs on my phone, this was just as simple as that.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I'd say something about how the Kindle Fire is an amazingly Cheap Ass way for Gamers to get their hands on an Android 4.x capable tablet but that shit would just get deleted.

Just saying.[/QUOTE]Enough with the smart-ass commentary already.

The initial deal on the tablet is long-since passed and is obviously turned into a deal discussion with the cases, ROMs and the like.

The posts were deleted because they weren't part of the initial deal, though perfectly fine now that it's in deal discussions.

Smart-ass comments aside, of course.

[quote name='shrike4242']
The initial deal on the tablet is long-since passed[/QUOTE]

But the Kindle Fire is still $199 just as the original post/title says.

[quote name='zewone']Apple sucks balls. Get lost.[/QUOTE]

I've owned a few Android tablets including the Prime, a Fire, and an iPad. Just got the new one, and I can say it's hands down then best on the market by far. Yeah, it's $500, but it blows the competition away. Personally I use the thing more than my laptop, at work anyway.

[quote name='plus1zero']I've owned a few Android tablets including the Prime, a Fire, and an iPad. Just got the new one, and I can say it's hands down then best on the market by far. Yeah, it's $500, but it blows the competition away. Personally I use the thing more than my laptop, at work anyway.[/QUOTE]
I'm just not s fan of how limited the OS. It's constricted and boring. I'm also not a fan of the 10" 4:3 screen. And I too have hardly used my laptop since my purchase of a Fire.

Kindle Cover With Light

Kindle users would definitely start the search for the right leather cover to go with their electronic reading gadget after purchasing one, even if only for the sole reason of completing its look.

A good cover is one that is more than just protecting your Kindle against wear & tear. What about one that allows you to read without distracting your partner late into the evening? And that is just one of the many reasons why you should consider the all new Kindle Cover with light.

bread's done
Back