Kinect $120 at gohastings.com

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm assuming it's on SD or something, which means all orders will probably be canceled anyway.[/QUOTE]
It is on SD, they actually had it posted there before it was on here

[quote name='Jodou']I would hope the site is being slammed by resellers and not actual gamers. . .[/QUOTE]

contrary to what some people think there are gamers who are excited about this tech. It will sell a boatload this week and hopefully it works as advertised.

[quote name='kevgret']contrary to what some people think there are gamers who are excited about this tech. It will sell a boatload this week and hopefully it works as advertised.[/QUOTE]
Well, if all I have to look forward to in the future of gaming is gimmick motion controls and 3D, then fuck it.

I am laying on the fence with Kinect, it hurts pretty bad too, if I decide to pass on this and want Kinect later I will probably regret passing but BF is around the corner, i'll wait and see. I am one of the gamers who wants Kinect for gaming, not reselling.

[quote name='Jodou']Well, if all I have to look forward to in the future of gaming is gimmick motion controls and 3D, then fuck it.[/QUOTE]

don't be so dramatic..:) I don't understand people that think kinect/move will end gaming as we know it--- just crazy, well, mabye?. I would guess Gaming will be just as good as always, AND will have this new tech. Our favorite genres are NOT going anywhere, and I am sure there will be great kinect/MOVE games and then crap-JUST like we have w/out the tech! Talk about crap-check out the move title "the fight: lights out.. Wowzers. Also why not get more people into gaming--will that hurt our hobby.. I don't think so.

I regress, so 120, thats a deal. thanks OP

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']Well, if all I have to look forward to in the future of gaming is gimmick motion controls and 3D, then fuck it.[/QUOTE]

Rockband/Guitar Hero didn't make us play Halo on plastic instruments and Microsoft's Dance Camera won't make us Dance to play Halo. All will be well.

[quote name='lyric706']Order won't go through for me. Looks like it's dead ...[/QUOTE]

Nah I just ordered a 2nd one for my cousin.. It isnt dead.

[quote name='kevgret']It will sell a boatload this week and hopefully it works as advertised.[/QUOTE]

But the bigger question is how will it sell in a couple of months?

I just can't get all that excited at the prospect of less responsive controls. Without physical interaction there's just too much room for the camera to misinterpret your commands. To me Kinect seems like a big budget version of the 32X.

According to SHCgamer (the creator of the K-mart thread), he likes the Kinect more than the Move and he said it will sell, so I'm guessing it's not all that bad as people speculated it will be...

I'm going to hold off. Unlike some I think Kinect looks like very cool tech, but I'm worried about how well it will work in practice. I'm going to wait for reviews/impressions. The review embargo isn't terribly encouraging.

It comes out to $131 for me. $11 sales tax for Nevada..

Still a good deal but I'm not sure if I wanna bite the bullet and drop money on this just yet.

I tried it at the Mall of America, the dance game was kind of fun. The one where you ride a cart on rails was meh. The last one I tried was the ball whacking one and I didn't think the camera was very responsive. Until there's a game that impresses, it will be another gimmick that people will lay out cash for on street release date and ignore by January.

In for one. This will certainly encourage even more non-gamers to get in the game AND give us hardcore types some more variety. A lot of adults interested in games give up because of the controller learning curve, and Kinect overcomes this immediately.

All that matters is that my wife will play more than Pinball, and will hopefully stop pining for a Wii.

Move is a loser so far. The Kinect launch is sports/exercise heavy, which is okay by me if at least one of them does its job for return-play.

[quote name='Kylearan']In for one. This will certainly encourage even more non-gamers to get in the game AND give us hardcore types some more variety. A lot of adults interested in games give up because of the controller learning curve, and Kinect overcomes this immediately.

All that matters is that my wife will play more than Pinball, and will hopefully stop pining for a Wii.

Move is a loser so far. The Kinect launch is sports/exercise heavy, which is okay by me if at least one of them does its job for return-play.[/QUOTE]
Why?

[quote name='Thrinn']That's interesting that Kinect has pop-ups that tell you to stop playing for a while.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it's wear protection from overheating. AMIRITE?

Damn Sonic Free Riders looks really fun and i didn't know it had online play. That would be quite interesting. I'll wait for Kinect though just to be safe and would prefer to see what other games it has to offer before plunking down $150 on it.

That review and their overall article on Kinect games is pretty damned annoying. What's curious is that their review of Freeriders is pretty positive, but their listing of games for Kinect is overly negative. Yin and Yang?

I've played a bit of the first two Sonic Riders games, and they don't exactly have me clamoring for this new one, regardless of control method. The track designs and gameplay are pretty subpar. I'd hold off for a trial on that one.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, but we already played SSX nine years ago. You know what I'd REALLY like to see is how differently this would be scored if it were just a controller game vs Kinect. That would be truly revealing.[/QUOTE]

"Revealing" (truly) of what? The game was designed to be controlled through Kinect. Why would you want it to be scored as a "controller game?" Did that 7.5 score ruin your day? Full-body motion control is the point of the whole thing. Do you just not like the concept and have trouble expressing yourself?

You're being a bit melodramatic and paranoid about the thing (and you're not alone unfortunately). I don't think anything is being hidden. Kinect is just an alternative control scheme. Bashing it will not make you more of a gamer or more of a man.

This thread is clearly intended for people looking for a deal on Kinect. Why are you here? Are you one of those console crusaders who wants to reveal the "truth" to save your precious hobby?

TRUST ME (not that you guys have any reason to trust some random internet dude), 90% of the negative stuff you hear about it is complete and utter BS. The only real hit against it is that the games ARE more casuals and it DOES require quite of bit of space to play properly.

A lot of the previews I've seen for this show the reviewers CLEARLY not even trying to enjoy it. And as far as potential reviews go, just remember Wii Spots. Didn't fair so well in reviews but was adored by most gamers.

Another problem I'm sure we'll encounter with the reviews are people not reviewing the stuff for what it is...instead reviewing it as stuff for "hardcore" gamers.

These are the scores for Sonic Free Riders from IGN:

Presentation 6.0
Graphics 8.0
Sound 7.0
Gameplay 7.0
Lasting Appeal 7.6

IGN gave it a random score of 7.5. The actual average of those scores is a 7.1

That changes it from a "Good" rating to a "Decent" rating. You have to wonder what influenced the increase in the score.

[quote name='ssjmichael']These are the scores for Sonic Free Riders from IGN:

Presentation 6.0
Graphics 8.0
Sound 7.0
Gameplay 7.0
Lasting Appeal 7.6

[/QUOTE]

Meh big deal, people think way too much about the score of a game. I still think it looks pretty damn fun especially if you have friends over.

I think it could be fun, but some of the movements look overly complicated, and some downright silly. To each their own though. I was merely pointing out the actual score to the person on the other page that was impressed with a 7.5

[quote name='ssjmichael']These are the scores for Sonic Free Riders from IGN:

Presentation 6.0
Graphics 8.0
Sound 7.0
Gameplay 7.0
Lasting Appeal 7.6

That changes it from a "Good" rating to a "Decent" rating. You have to wonder what influenced the increase in the score.[/QUOTE]
IGN rates on half-point intervals. I guess they just round scores up.

[quote name='Thrinn']IGN rates on half-point intervals. I guess they just round scores up.[/QUOTE]

No, they've given scores like "6.2", "7.8" etc.. before so they're not rounding. The Final score is simply decided randomly and independently of the individual scores' breakdown.
This is their official stance on it:

It's important to note that the overall rating is not an average of the five individual categories. We believe that no game will ever fit into a simplistic numeric formula. Many titles are more than a sum of their parts, so the overall score is left to the judgment of the reviewer. This gives you a better sense of the reviewer's overall experience with the game rather than forcing our editors to use an average to determine the final rating for games of multiple types.

[quote name='ssjmichael']No, they've given scores like "6.2", "7.8" etc.. before so they're not rounding. The Final score is simply decided randomly and independently of the individual scores' breakdown.
This is their official stance on it:[/QUOTE]
Well according to the article the change in their policy is this as of about 3 months ago:
[quote name='IGN article']From today forward, we will score games on a 20-point scale (meaning games score will be 7.0 or 7.5 or 8.0, etc.).
[/quote]Are those scores you listed since that date?

[quote name='Thrinn']Well according to the article the change in their policy is this as of about 3 months ago:
Are those scores you listed since that date?[/QUOTE]

I believe both policies are still in effect. The bottom line is not an average score, but rather an overall score based on a 20 point scale.

[quote name='Thrinn']Well according to the article the change in their policy is this as of about 3 months ago:
Are those scores you listed since that date?[/QUOTE]

They possibly were, I just remember seeing scores like those before. Either way the 7.5 wasn't based on the average of the categories and then rounded up as I quoted their current policy on the final scoring above. None of this really matters, I'd just prefer to see an avg. of the individual categories rather than some arbitrary number that doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the scores.

It might just be the camerawork on that Sonic review...but it looks like some nasty lag going on there between the guy's movements and the character's response.

bread's done
Back