Kinect $120 at gohastings.com

[quote name='Serpentor']According to SHCgamer (the creator of the K-mart thread), he likes the Kinect more than the Move and he said it will sell, so I'm guessing it's not all that bad as people speculated it will be...[/QUOTE]
He is a salesman pushing sales, of course he likes it. Im sure he LOVES it this week.

Sales won't be a prob. It'll sell boatloads more than the Move. I think it'll get a favorable reaction overall, particularly from the casual crowd. They won't see the flaws or limitations that core gamers will see. Plus it's something new and different, which always gets praised a bit higher, and forgiven a bit more if everything doesn't work just right.

[quote name='brutus']"Revealing" (truly) of what? The game was designed to be controlled through Kinect. Why would you want it to be scored as a "controller game?"[/QUOTE]
What I'm getting at is how would it be viewed in a world without Kinect, if it were just a normal game. I'd be very interested in seeing how it would score sans the motion controls. It would be very revealing if the reviewer actually thought Kinect made the gameplay more enjoyable or was detrimental. He only lightly touches on the subject by saying the learning curve is rough and would only appeal to gamers who want a 'hoverboard' experience.

Bottomline is I'm just curious in what people feel it brings to the table.

What I always 'love' with these sorts of tech launches (and by "love," I mean LOATHE) is the sociological subtext behind the commentaries. It's like there's blind support for such based on fear of being ostracized by 'normal people', as in the Holiday gathering and the relatives' disappointment when you don't have "that camera game thingy." Or the latent fear of being the "Kenny" who just has the plain ol' 360. There's also this sort of perceived misogyny involved when someone makes a cynical remark, as if not wanting the Kinect means you by extension don't care about the women in your life...or you have none.

It's on both sides, of course. I think a lot of knee-jerk dislike of it is born out of fear. Fear of it corrupting the gaming scene, and fear of being caught playing it, thus compromising your gamer cred (as if that's something to take pride in) and maybe even making you a big, fat hypocrite.

Me, I'm done with the 'launch window' bullshit. The spin and hyperbole are going to be out full-force in the coming weeks for Kinect, but I say the smart money checks back around May.

jollydwarf, I'm with you, I could buy this at launch but why? I see 79.99 or under very quickly even used ones will show up within 2 weeks for way less than retail. By no means though is this post meant to hate ;)

[quote name='Haralambos']jollydwarf, I'm with you, I could buy this at launch but why? I see 79.99 or under very quickly even used ones will show up within 2 weeks for way less than retail. By no means though is this post meant to hate ;)[/QUOTE]

haha good luck with that. This will be sold out until after Christmas. The mainstream kids and mothers will go gaga for it. It will be another WII extravaganza.

While I appreciate the support, I really don't see $80 (even as a deal) for at least a year. Microsoft simply won't allow it to be that big of a bust. There probably won't be ANY sort of price drop for the first six months. Maybe an extra pack-in game, but not a universal cut.

It's not so much about the price for me as it is about taking a wait-n-see approach. I just don't know if it's going to be for me, as it certainly isn't right now.

[quote name='broadbandit']It will be another WII extravaganza.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem for Kinect: it's another version of something everyone has already seen. Motion controls don't appear to have the same draw as when the Wii launched years ago. Is someone who's never bought a game system before going to be willing to spend $100 more than what a Wii would cost them just so they don't have to hold a controller in their hand while they're waving their arms around?

I'd be really surprised if this managed to have a fraction of the demand that the Wii experienced. It'll be sold out for months rather than years.

[quote name='kevgret']IGN's review of Sonic Riders is pretty positive= 7.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1XU0ST5J0[/QUOTE]

Watched the video, wasn't too impressed. It looks like a HUGE step down from Sonic and Sega Racing. My favorite part in the review is when they mention the game menu is extremely hard to use and has a very high learning curve. I thought the point of the Kinect was to get rid of the learning curve for people who aren't used to playing games? I have never had any problems navigating menus with a controller, so Kinect is already lowering the bar by making it harder to even get into the game. If there is a learning curve to use the menus, you can't tell me that the gameplay itself is going to be pick-up and play. I foresee a lot of returns and frustrated customers in the near future.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Watched the video, wasn't too impressed. It looks like a HUGE step down from Sonic and Sega Racing. My favorite part in the review is when they mention the game menu is extremely hard to use and has a very high learning curve. I thought the point of the Kinect was to get rid of the learning curve for people who aren't used to playing games? I have never had any problems navigating menus with a controller, so Kinect is already lowering the bar by making it harder to even get into the game. If there is a learning curve to use the menus, you can't tell me that the gameplay itself is going to be pick-up and play. I foresee a lot of returns and frustrated customers in the near future.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right... I bet there is a 50% return rate for kinect... maybe even more. (end sarcasm)

I guess you missed the part about how the controls are pretty good once you get them down... just like anything else there will be a learning curve and this tech is no different.

Kevin

Too many xbox trolls in here. This thread is way off topic. I plan on getting kinect later on. And move is fare from dead.

I'm guessing orders are being canceled on this, wonder if Target will do the same for the 15% off being posted on SD earlier.

GoHastings sent out a notice 30 minutes ago:

Hello from goHastings.com,

Thanks for your order!

Your order placed on 11/01/2010 has been completed.

The following item(s) have been cancelled. Either the item(s) were cancelled at your request or our sources were unable to ship the item(s) due to availability. You will not be charged for any cancelled items. We apologize for any inconvenience.

ORDER NUMBER: XXXXXXX
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cancel Qty Title Price per Item
1 Kinect Sensor $149.99

You can check the status of this order or any order placed with goHastings.com at http://www.goHastings.com/checkout/order_status.jsp. If you have checked the links at goHastings.com, but still need to reach us concerning your order, you can find information for contacting our service department at http://www.goHastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp.

Thank you for choosing goHastings as your entertainment supersite. We hope to see you again!

----------------------------------------------
goHastings staff
http://www.goHastings.com
----------------------------------------------

GoHastings cancels everything. What made you think they'd be the only Internet retailer selling it for 120 and actually going through with their orders?

I just thought I'd try to outweigh some of the negativity here...

I placed my order for Kinect w/ the coupon as soon as I got the e-mail advertisement (way before this thing blew up on SD/CAG). And I got a notification this morning that my order shipped via USPS yesterday.

So... it's not like they're canceling them because of the coupon/dollars-off. It seems like they're canceling them because they didn't have enough stock to fulfill all of the orders.

bread's done
Back