Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

[quote name='Scorch']HIDE YO KIDS
HIDE YO WIFE

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/livetou

so basically they can record everything you do ever and tag it to your system ID and transmit the data to their affiliated partners with no warning to you.

so please, put pants on before playing.[/QUOTE]

So no more spanking it in from of the Kinect?

Seriously, my Kinect freaks me out. When you walk in the room, if your Xbox notices that your are in there and turns off the screen-saver and indicates you should wave.

I know Dance Central looks nice but there is already a dance game for casual gamer, Just Dance on wii. I dont see it getting more support than Just Dance 2. Just Dance is the number 3 selling game on amazon while Dance central is the 16th

I wont read to much to the SD post when her husband is on MS's payroll. At the same time you have to hate MS's software mentality and release whatever and hope to fix it on update.

[quote name='pjb16']I doubt it will be the only game I get (or play), but if Dance Central is as good and fun as it's supposed to be, to me it will be worth buying the kinect just for that game.

I mean how many people play fable 2, guitar hero 1, gears of war, and call of duty 2 on a daily basis? Those games together cost as much (more actually) as the Kinect (plus another game) does when they came out, but I doubt hardly anyone still plays them on a daily basis (or even close to it) any more.[/QUOTE]

It is different. People buy the Xbox 360 harddware and then more games and eventually MS made money. People buy the Kinect and stop buying games it is going to be a problem.

It looks like some dude got his Kinect early. (The hands on video was originally posted on the deals forum)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4RghmghDU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEoWgJ09DxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25gPxIfnQJM

I'm a surprised to see that the dashboard features work so well and I might actually use them. I really interested to see what he has to say about Dance Central, which is pretty much the entire reason why I'm buying the Kinect.

Edit: Their Dance Central Review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV-x62DQa0c

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']It is different. People buy the Xbox 360 harddware and then more games and eventually MS made money. People buy the Kinect and stop buying games it is going to be a problem.[/QUOTE]
Plenty of people bought a 360 and stopped buying games shortly thereafter.

[quote name='pjb16']Plenty of people bought a 360 and stopped buying games shortly thereafter.[/QUOTE]

you point is that once people done with a game they dont go back to them. But by spending money on new games it is not a problem. Yes there will be people who stopped buying games, but Xbox 360 software sales is doing fine every month. Compare to the Wii where hardware is selling but not software. For MS to be pushing Kinect like this they need ongoing software sales.

[quote name='62t']I know Dance Central looks nice but there is already a dance game for casual gamer, Just Dance on wii. I dont see it getting more support than Just Dance 2. Just Dance is the number 3 selling game on amazon while Dance central is the 16th

I wont read to much to the SD post when her husband is on MS's payroll. At the same time you have to hate MS's software mentality and release whatever and hope to fix it on update.[/QUOTE]

Which is great for people that already own a Wii...

BTW, the guy didn't work for Microsoft. He was in the Kinect Beta.

[quote name='62t']you point is that once people done with a game they dont go back to them. But by spending money on new games it is not a problem. Yes there will be people who stopped buying games, but Xbox 360 software sales is doing fine every month. Compare to the Wii where hardware is selling but not software. For MS to be pushing Kinect like this they need ongoing software sales.[/QUOTE]
Yea, but they don't need ongoing Kinect software sales (by that I mean top 10 all the time), especially considering there are people who regularly buy (non-kinect) software anyway. MS will have ongoing software sales, just like they have had all generation.

This is being launched like a new console, but it isn't a new console. For every kinect they move it is a win for them. For every kinect bundle they move it is a bigger win.

For people who don't have a 360 and get one for kinect, you would think they'd eventually get "regular" games as well. People who already have 360s and get the kinect is just a great bonus for MS.

Glad the dashboard voice commands work ok for the people in that video, but this reeks of something you'll use a few times for novelty, then it'll be right back to using the controller.

"Xbox"

pause...pause...pause

"Exit"

pause...pause...pause

"Yes"

pause...pause...exit.

vs.

Press guide button.

Press Y.

Yeah.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Glad the dashboard voice commands work ok for the people in that video, but this reeks of something you'll use a few times for novelty, then it'll be right back to using the controller.

"Xbox"

pause...pause...pause

"Exit"

pause...pause...pause

"Yes"

pause...pause...exit.

vs.

Press guide button.

Press Y.

Yeah.[/QUOTE]

I need an "XBOX....ON" feature. Otherwise won't I already be holding a controller?

So.. I forgot I pre-ordered a Kinect months ago when Amazon was doing the $30 credit deal.. got it with Kinectimals and the stand-alone sensor.

I don't want it, and it'll be here tomorrow.. anyone think there is going to be a market for these?

My kids wanted it, and was going to give it to them for Christmas, but now they want other stuff.

[quote name='nervousxtian']So.. I forgot I pre-ordered a Kinect months ago when Amazon was doing the $30 credit deal.. got it with Kinectimals and the stand-alone sensor.

I don't want it, and it'll be here tomorrow.. anyone think there is going to be a market for these?

My kids wanted it, and was going to give it to them for Christmas, but now they want other stuff.[/QUOTE]

I bet you anything they will want it after it becomes the hot talked about toy of the season and the marketing tidal wave smashes through their lives.

They are 5 and 3, of course they "want" it.. but we decided against making this their big gift... I could have sworn I cancelled this pre-order.. and then got the shipping e-mail.. oops.

Maybe I'll just try to sell it for the $200 I got into it.

[quote name='nervousxtian']They are 5 and 3, of course they "want" it.. but we decided against making this their big gift... I could have sworn I cancelled this pre-order.. and then got the shipping e-mail.. oops.

Maybe I'll just try to sell it for the $200 I got into it.[/QUOTE]
You could always return it to Amazon (order created by mistake; since you thought you canceled it).

[quote name='nervousxtian']They are 5 and 3, of course they "want" it.. but we decided against making this their big gift... I could have sworn I cancelled this pre-order.. and then got the shipping e-mail.. oops.

Maybe I'll just try to sell it for the $200 I got into it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you could return both items to Amazon with no problems. If you really want to sell it, I'm sure you could make a few bucks on eBay or Amazon Marketplace.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Kotaku is going to post start posting reviews at 10:01pm PST/11pm Mountain/12am CST/1am Eastern
http://kotaku.com/5680508/kinect-flood-incoming

I suspect that this is when the embargo ends and everyone will start posting Kinect reviews.[/QUOTE]

They're already posted. The general census between Kotaku and IGN is that it's okay and it has potential. IGN gave it a 7.5. The highest rated 360 game that I saw was a tie between Kinect Sports and Dance Central at 8.0.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Kotaku is going to post start posting reviews at 10:01pm PST/11pm Mountain/12am CST/1am Eastern
http://kotaku.com/5680508/kinect-flood-incoming

I suspect that this is when the embargo ends and everyone will start posting Kinect reviews.[/QUOTE]

It was actually a decent review, but it pointed out everything most people assumed.

It works pretty well, but it still has a few flaws. Voice recognition is excellent. Needs a "Killer App" like Wii sports. You need a lot of room...blah blah blah.

I'll wait on a game i'm really interested in. not just sort of :)

FWIW i just picked one up from my local gamestop without a preorder. they got about 24 units in, 20 of which were preordered.

Played a little Kinect Adventures with my gf. She's playing Kinectimals now. I'll play Dance Central next.

Voice control works great. Body recognition can be a little janky, but overall worked better than I expected.

Just realized Kinect doesn't work with Netflix =/ That sucks. One of the major reasons I was buying it. Oh well mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow.

Just finished about 10 songs in Dance Central. Worked up a huge sweat. The game is really accurate, but I don't like the menu navigation.

I got to play about an hour and a half of Kinect at my buddy's house. I was bored pretty quickly. Interesting technology, though. Seems to work well enough.

[quote name='TeamUnderdog']Just realized Kinect doesn't work with Netflix =/ That sucks. One of the major reasons I was buying it. Oh well mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I think it will. That will be easy to update.

I still have not seen one review talk about using it for voice chat during regular 360 games. I am not even sure it can anymore.

Here is the dumbest thing I have read about Kinect yet, from the review on Katuku "If Kinect becomes nothing more than a replacement for the TV remote, it'll prove to be a winner".

4lWMz.jpg

Here is my playspace (small, one bedroom apartment). Sorry for the mess, haven't had a chance to clean in a few days.

photote.jpg

Works perfectly fine.

[quote name='nervousxtian']I don't want it, and it'll be here tomorrow.. anyone think there is going to be a market for these?[/QUOTE]
Not really. People were able to pre-order yesterday without too much hassle. Plus the fact that MS is making a camera (and not something more technically complicated like a system) will mean they're able to quickly produce them to better meet demand.

The space requirements for this thing are a potential deal killer. 9' minimum between the sensor and you for two players, even more if you are tall? That's pretty insane. I like the concept, but it's a shame they couldn't make it work in a more reasonable space. We do have the potential to clear up that much space in our living room, but most people? If most people can't use this it's going to die pretty quickly on bad word of mouth.

Having said that, Dance Central looks like a system seller. I can see people buying it just for that, and clearing space for it. Heck, I might. I love DDR and so a new/better dance game sounds good to me.

Just read the PCWorld Review and I'm now more inclined to sell this thing once it arrives today. I literally do not have the space for it and apparently it's not as accurate as the Move or Wii. I see the potential it has, but it really sounds like the EyeToy 2.0 guys, nothing more, nothing less.

[quote name='seanr1221']Here is my playspace (small, one bedroom apartment). Sorry for the mess, haven't had a chance to clean in a few days.

photote.jpg

Works perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

I think people are finding something.. anything.. to bash this thing..

the ads show large spaces probably because it looks nice in the ad.

The video posted above where the girl is playing dance central is not a huge room at all and it was working fine. I'm sure there will be places where the kinect won't read right due to sunlight, camera placement, etc.. but most users should be fine.

Kevin

The whole lighting thing I think is really overblown. Kinects 3D sensor actually works best in low light, or even no light - you just won't get your picture taken well when the game wants to do so.

[quote name='Pck21']Just read the PCWorld Review and I'm now more inclined to sell this thing once it arrives today. I literally do not have the space for it and apparently it's not as accurate as the Move or Wii. I see the potential it has, but it really sounds like the EyeToy 2.0 guys, nothing more, nothing less.[/QUOTE]

CML if you do because j will love it

I played Kinect Sports with a friend of mine while standing about 5 feet away, and it worked just fine, so 10 feet is an exaggeration. If you get too close, it actually tells you to back up.

So my Target is sold out of most of the games and I am torn between joy ride and Kinect Sports. Which one should I get? I read the gaming site reviews, but I'm looking to get some feedback here.

I'm surprised there are no demos for the games that are out so far. For those who got Kinect it would be a great way to test out what games to buy.

Well sign me up! Just got back from buying mine..totally made up my mind this morning. I'm more excited about the technical features, but know my kid will love it :D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm surprised there are no demos for the games that are out so far. For those who got Kinect it would be a great way to test out what games to buy.[/QUOTE]

I believe that there are a few demos packed into the kinect.. dance central, joyride and kinect sports?

Curious that the review sites all report issues with having the noted amount of space, at least all that I've read. How come they'd have issues but not the folks here? Weird. I wish they had a trial period with returns allowed, opened, within a period of time. I'd like to be able to try it in my home before buying.

[quote name='crunchewy']Curious that the review sites all report issues with having the noted amount of space, at least all that I've read. How come they'd have issues but not the folks here? Weird. I wish they had a trial period with returns allowed, opened, within a period of time. I'd like to be able to try it in my home before buying.[/QUOTE]

wait, I don't see why you couldn't return this to some retailer, like Best Buy if you weren't absolutely satisfied..if you said it doesn't function as intended in my living room, just like say, a digital camera didn't fit right in your hands, then I think they would take it back. I mean software is strictly no returns, but when you get into hardware/accessories, I think they honor it. I'm sure people return controllers from time to time, like if they bought a MadCatz, regretted it, and wanted to up it to an official one..

I'm not really worried about the space, I do have a sectional couch, so one part of the 'L' will definitely be in the picture..I just don't know. I didn't have any problems with Move, so I don't think I'll have any problems with this..

The space requirements greatly depend on:

The game
The height of the player playing (which can be greatly helped by placing kinect above your TV).

But it's safe to say that less than 6 feet for one player is asking for trouble unless you are a child. 8 feet for 2 players.

Another third party review that is highly critical of the Kinect. I'm starting to see why MS put an embargo on reviews and I hoped I wasn't right..oops. I've pretty much made up my mind at this point: I'll sell mine for a small profit and just leave it at that. Sorry guys...

Why are you apologizing?

Also, the grammar in that review was horrible. I don't usually judge, but you'd think he would check things over.

I, and I think Microsoft, expected mediocre/bad reviews simply by the nature of what it is and who is reviewing it. This can be illustrated by the reports I've been reading of Kinectimles. As gamers we can sit and nit pick the shit out of it. But put a kid in front of it and watch him light up and smile for hours - that's what Kinect is.

Can someone please verify for me whether or not Kinect works as a Mic for regular 360 games/party chat?

[quote name='kevgret']I believe that there are a few demos packed into the kinect.. dance central, joyride and kinect sports?[/QUOTE]

Well then...that's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up!

-------

FYI on some free stuff:

[quote name='rickyff7']Thanks for the head up Spydir420, here link.

Kinect Premium theme:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...e356843-22e2-4345-8378-ee2c7419270e?cid=SLink

Kinect Joy Ride Chevy Volt:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...39c69be-f76a-4435-872b-aed8431cb788?cid=SLink
*Note* You could only get it in Ads at xbox marketplace or Spotlight (Not website)[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back