Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

[quote name='crunchewy']I didn't realize they added a beginner mode. I didn't see that option for the story mode. Is it only in regular pick the song you want mode?[/QUOTE]

I think that's the case, yeah.

[quote name='crunchewy']

Just Dance 4 is getting that uber popular Gangnam Style or whatever it is, as DLC. I forget when, but sometimes in the semi-near future. I wouldn't mind seeing that on DC3.[/QUOTE]
I Think someone from Harmonix dropped a tweet about that saying it's coming sometime in the future.

And that free Intel Discovered game makes me wish we get more FMV style Kinect games now. It feels like technology has finally caught up where it won't be downright awful like all those Sega CD ones.

I looked on twitter and couldn't find anything specific, but some DC3 guy tweeted that they would have a DLC announcement this week and they were excited about it. So perhaps, but nothing definitive.

Well, it's for sure for Just Dance 4 and if the 360 version of the dance is the same as the Wii version, it's going to be fun.

I'm debating if I should get Dance Central 3 or Just Dance 4. I'm kind of leaning towards Just Dance 4 because it has, "Never Going to Give you Up", but Dance Central 3 has songs from LMFAO. Which one is the better dance game?

[quote name='jman2avatar']I'm debating if I should get Dance Central 3 or Just Dance 4. I'm kind of leaning towards Just Dance 4 because it has, "Never Going to Give you Up", but Dance Central 3 has songs from LMFAO. Which one is the better dance game?[/QUOTE]

Tough call. I like Just Dance better. You can do 4 player and I like the songs better. DC is fun, but more technical, felt more like learning to dance then trying to have fun. I think there is a demo for JD3 and for DC. If you like the demo for JD 3 its same gameplay for 4. Both good games, but different.

It's really a tough call. Both Just Dance 4 and Dance Central 3 are excellent and should be in your library eventually.

I'd say that JD4 is goofy fun with 4 player choreography and Just Dance TV. very easy to hop into and just dance. don't underestimate the 4 player choreography. it becomes immensely cool when you have to hook arms with your partner and do a spin move. In DC, the 2 dancers are just doing the same steps (unless you do different difficulty levels which results in different steps).

edit: oh, one thing I forgot about the 4 player choreography. If you're playing with your friends, the multiplayer choreography is so cool. But if they're not around, when you go to the dance, it seems weird to pretend that you're interacting with someone. it's the same choreography but now only you are playing so you have to pretend that you're spinning the girl or you have to pretend that your arm is grabbing someone's back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUj2S7c19BI
check out the 0:55 mark and the 1:28 mark. it's neat when you have someone else to do it with. but when you're doing it single player and you have to pretend your arm is on their back, it's weird.

DC3 has real dance cred with a large library of songs. If you want to look like a dancer, DC will at least teach you the steps (the little nuances that make it look like dancing rather than steps is up to you and practice). Like for example, the Jazz square is a universal move. Because I learned the jazz square in DC1, any song in any dance game that has the jazz square, I already know how to do (I remember this example because I just played a JD4 song the other day that had the jazz square move).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Dance is much funner and more game like, Dance Central tries to hard to be more of a dance simulator. I'd always tell anyone i know to go with JD everytime.

My money is on Dance Central 3 simply because more gameplay modes and I'm always a fan of Harmonix's song transfers to each iteration.

I don't know if anybody in here would be able to answer this, but just thought I'd ask. With so many games that only use the Kinect for voice commands, does anybody know if it would be possible to use a broken Kinect (ie. broken lens, broken hinge, etc) JUST for games with voice commands? Obviously, the Kinect wouldn't be able to pass the video portion of the Kinect Tuner, but would the audio part of it still be functional? (assuming the microphone is fine, of course) I'd consider buying one to put with my 2nd Xbox, just for the purpose of playing games like Madden 13, Forza Horizon, ME3, etc.

Honestly, you'd think Microsoft would have made a microphone only version by now, but I guess they probably figure they can just strong arm people into buying the complete unit even if they have no interest in motion control gaming. For the record, I actually have a Kinect on my big TV in the living room. It's just a pain to move it for those times when my wife is watching one of her shows, and I'm relegated to the smaller TV. Just looking for a reasonable solution. I appreciate any input anyone has on the subject.

is it easy to find a broken kinect?

pure conjecture on my part... as long as the kinect can pass the accelerometer test, I would think you're good to go. but if it can't, i think your SOL. if the kinect fails the test, you'll see a red light instead of green.

for normal situations, what the kinect tries to do is detect if it's on a level plane. if it detects that the plane is uneven, it will turn red and not function. so I assume will lock out all functions.

a way to test the hypothesis is to hold the kinect in your hand and tilt it sideways. see the light turn red. and then try an audio test in a voice enabled game.

Has there been any word on whether or not there will be a Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013? There is one for WiiU, but no mention of a Kinect version. I'm trying to decide if I want to get 2012 from gamefly while it's on sale, or wait for the sequel, but not point in waiting if there is not going to be a 2013 edition.

[quote name='atomicsmurf']Is anybody playing Marvel Avengers Battle For Earth? If so, how is it?[/QUOTE]

I just got it so I haven't gotten very much into it (trying to catch up on backlogged games).

It definitely ramps up slowly in difficulty compared to PowerUp Heroes. The first few guys are cakewalks and are used as tutorial guys (since they spread out the tutorial over multiple rounds instead of show it all at once). I barely scratched the surface of the game so I'll say more when I've played more.

The look and sound is fantastic.

I wish there were actual cutscenes and a story. In-between matches, you get a comic book panel and a voiceover. And that's it.

[quote name='dirtyvu']is it easy to find a broken kinect?

pure conjecture on my part... as long as the kinect can pass the accelerometer test, I would think you're good to go. but if it can't, i think your SOL. if the kinect fails the test, you'll see a red light instead of green.

for normal situations, what the kinect tries to do is detect if it's on a level plane. if it detects that the plane is uneven, it will turn red and not function. so I assume will lock out all functions.

a way to test the hypothesis is to hold the kinect in your hand and tilt it sideways. see the light turn red. and then try an audio test in a voice enabled game.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, meant to respond to this yesterday. Well, with the internet/ebay, finding a "broken" anything is fairly easy. A Kinect with a busted lens just seemed like an easy target for someone who only wanted the voice command functionality of it.

I know what you're talking about though, as I remember a few times when I was setting my Kinect up, and if I picked it up and tilted it, it would give me error messages. I haven't had a chance to test anything (though I'm not even sure how well I could replicate a "broken" unit), but based on that theory, as long as the Kinect could be held straight long enough to pass that initial test, then yeah, it should be fine. I don't know if that speaks well for one with a broken lens (ie. does it actually need to see anything), but the ones with broken hinges (which there are a good amount of) could probably just be taped in place to pass the test.

I'll look into it a bit further. Watch. By the time I get it all figured out and set up, MS will announce a Kinect Microphone accessory, haha. I always thought it was stupid that you couldn't just use your headset for these voice commands to begin with, but I understand their claim is that it uses the Kinect's voice recognition software, so that's why you need the Kinect. Just gotta wonder how many people would jump onboard for a special microphone at a lower cost.

Thanks! There are no user reviews of this game yet. I'm curious about it, but still waiting to see some reviews come in before I buy.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I just got it so I haven't gotten very much into it (trying to catch up on backlogged games).

It definitely ramps up slowly in difficulty compared to PowerUp Heroes. The first few guys are cakewalks and are used as tutorial guys (since they spread out the tutorial over multiple rounds instead of show it all at once). I barely scratched the surface of the game so I'll say more when I've played more.

The look and sound is fantastic.

I wish there were actual cutscenes and a story. In-between matches, you get a comic book panel and a voiceover. And that's it.[/QUOTE]

forgot to add this about avengers... it'll make more sense if you've played powerup heroes...

the charge time between super attacks is much shorter. this totally changes the attack strategy. In PowerUP heroes, you needed to constantly switch characters because of the long charge time or else you would have no power moves available. In Avengers, at least in the early part of the game, you can totally stick to your superhero because the charge time is so short. And because the charge time is so short, it's easier to chain moves together. However, the game seems faster and more chaotic because the screen gets so busy with all the power moves that you have to sift through the visual chaos.

I think it was actually easier, due to the slower pace, to enjoy what you're doing in PowerUP Heroes. Here, I'm working fast to do the moves fast and then I win the match. So I get the result without getting the journey. In Avengers, you end up looking at the status of your power moves so much that you don't get to see much of the rest of the screen. Kind of the same in PowerUP Heroes but the pacing of that game was slower so I got to enjoy my attacks more.

I don't know if this is because it's early in the game for me, but it seems like they took out all the QTE blocking from PowerUP Heroes. I actually really like the QTE because it made me feel like Neo from The Matrix where I'm parrying back the punches.

[quote name='not2worried']Any word on a release date for Kinect Party?[/QUOTE]
We should have one pretty soon if they really do intend to release it before Christmas.

I was walking around the auto booths at the Los Angeles Auto Show 2012 and saw some interactive demos, using the Kinect system. I don't know if there were more since I kind of ran out of time (the show is HUGE!) and didn't get to explore too many booths.

This was Toyota making an interactive video game with the Toyota Prius. This was the best of the ones I saw. You can interact and look around the car and the cockpit. You had to run to the car. And you can drive the Prius in a little video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_xEltK_dvk

zk3djp.jpg

24ywb46.jpg

2z65gck.jpg

This was Kia Motors using it to interactively try out some features of their cars. Unfortunately, they stuck on the crummy Nyko attachment which ruined it, and they stuck it near the floor. I kind of messed him up by stepping in view of the Kinect. Sorry about that. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4RF32cdGrc

2w6gxi0.jpg

2s94pvs.jpg

Here was the Range Rover interactive display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8PeHr4rZI

2gtw6mu.jpg

vr4g8l.jpg

142y3d2.jpg

35009dh.jpg

My mother in law is going to be buying a 360 with Kinect and plans on getting a Zumba game. She enjoys her Zumba classes and at the price she is paying for the classes this will have paid for itself in a couple months.

She is wanting to get Zumba Fitness: Join the Party, but which is the better game? That or Zumba Fitness Rush? Any other fitness games that are just far and away better. She enjoys Zumba in and of itself, so she is leaning heavily in that direction, but it something else is better then she may change her mind.

Thanks!

Rush is by far the better game. However, Rush is single player or local multiplayer.

Join the Party has online multiplayer. but take that out of the equation, it's not as good as Rush. get Rush first.

[quote name='Only One Haze']Thanks! We will get her Rush.

Any thoughts on the Nike+ Training? Might get that for ourselves.[/QUOTE]

depends on what you like. there is a demo for Nike+ as well as some of the other fitness games. no matter what game, ultimately, it's up to you to stick with it. no game will be alluring enough to keep exercising. that's the lure all exercise programs have: "our exercise program is so comprehensive and fun, you'll lose so much weight"

personally, I have different tastes than most. I crossed off the first Ubisoft Your Shape Fitness game because it didn't have floor exercises like crunches and because it didn't have online multiplayer. That probably influenced my decision on the sequel. It seemed like a repeat of the first but they added floor routines. However, Your Shape games are the most popular (which I think the Microsoft advertising helped them a lot as well as being the first exercise game on the block).

I like The Biggest Loser because it has a little bit of everything. It uses equipment, it has floor exercises, it has online and local multiplayer, it has multiple programs, it has recipes, etc. However, there are some flaws. The menu system is awful and seemed to be designed for a mouse and keyboard. The "fun" exercise activities are not that fun. But it is a complete package with a wide variety of types of exercises such as yoga-type activities, boxing, etc. And this game will lose tracking of the person more than other games.

I kind of love UFC Personal Trainer. This will kick your butt. In fact, it might be too hard for people that are not in good shape and need to seriously lose weight. It's a lot of fun though and the exercises are good. It doesn't have online multiplayer but it does have the ability to send online challenges to your friends (though I don't know anyone that has UFC which means I have no one to send challenges). The programs (e.g., 30-day program, 60-day program, etc.) are extremely intense. Seriously, if you're not in shape after doing them, you were cheating or not trying. But if the programs are too intense, there are lots of other activities that you can do (such as the boxing) that are fun and still a good workout.

I also have Zumba but we already talked about that.

I actually haven't tried Nike+ yet with the holidays and the game deluge (still working through Halo 4 and others). And I haven't tried the demo. But I heard good things and will try soon.

Thanks for the great insight! Yeah we will definitely be sticking with it. My wife and I have lost a combined 150 lbs since the end of March doing nothing but at home/outdoor stuff. Looking for something to change things up a little. I like the way the UFC Trainer sounds as I have done some of the P90X stuff and we have been intrigued by Insanity. May just go the UFC Route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Beach Insanity videos! If you can handle those easily, then you can definitely handle UFC easily.

The big difference is P90X and Insanity get their work in with a lot of jumping exercises. That's not the strength of the UFC workouts. There are tons of core exercises in UFC though. So your hamstrings up to your chest get worked hard.

Played Fruit Ninja Kinect for first time in a while. Great game, but the calibration or lack thereof sure can be frustrating. My son and I must have been trying for 10 minutes to try to get the damn game to recalibrate for him because he was too close when it first calibrated. Also the game is tricky to play 2 player if people are different sizes. I hope the next Kinect comes up with a fix for that.

The 8-bit shadow, blade and theme are cool, but it's a total crock that you have to pay for those.

More Kinect Party pricing details revealed

Also, I've been playing the game for a few days and it's quite a substantial improvement over HAT. However, the Facebook photo uploading doesn't work yet and the controls/voice commands for photo-related things are not explained as well as they could be. Still, it's great that they have those things since sharing the silliness will add a lot of value to the game.

the wording on the article is a little tricky:

"The entire unlocked game with all 36 channels are free through Dec. 31st 2012!!!"

To me, this implies that the entire game is unlocked for free through December 31st, and then it's not unlocked anymore. At which point, you have to pay to unlock it at the aforementioned price points. You alluded to the fact it was free and clear indefinitely if downloaded between those dates so that should be emphasized.

[quote name='dirtyvu']the wording on the article is a little tricky:

"The entire unlocked game with all 36 channels are free through Dec. 31st 2012!!!"

To me, this implies that the entire game is unlocked for free through December 31st, and then it's not unlocked anymore. At which point, you have to pay to unlock it at the aforementioned price points. You alluded to the fact it was free and clear indefinitely if downloaded between those dates so that should be emphasized.[/QUOTE]

That's a direct quote from Double Fine. I realize the wording is a bit tricky - it's really hard to say you can get it free and keep it without saying "and keep it" every time we mention it. Will think about clarifying further.

My question is will just downloading the game be enough, or do I then need to launch the game and download the new levels? If the latter than people without Kinect are SOL. I have Kinect, of course, so it's not a problem for me, though if I do need to launch the game and download the new levels, it would be good to know that in advance. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']My question is will just downloading the game be enough, or do I then need to launch the game and download the new levels? If the latter than people without Kinect are SOL. I have Kinect, of course, so it's not a problem for me, though if I do need to launch the game and download the new levels, it would be good to know that in advance. :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't answer this before the game launched. Checked my User CP and this thread didn't show up as having a new post. Ah well. Like you said, you just need the base game and the main unlock key to get everything Kinect party offers.

Rhythm Party is pretty fun! It's a "loser" deal in the Sales & Specials+ app "Scratch & Match" thing. Sale price is 50% off, so 400 pts. It's worth it!

bread's done
Back