Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

http://kotaku.com/5903169/turn-and-face-the-camera-when-tiger-woods-pga-tours-kinect-update-arrives

EA will be updating Tiger Woods 13 Kinect play to allow for swinging into the TV at easier difficulty levels...

the following are only excerpts:

"As it is now, one 's swing is parallel to the screen, swinging away from it, usually facing a wall at the end. That mode of play will still be necessary for using Kinect on the game's top two difficulty levels, Tour Pro and Tournament. But on the bottom two, Amateur and Pro, gamers will be able to square up perpendicular to the screen, swing away, and follow the ball's flight in a more natural posture."

Gamers will be able to swap between facing the camera and standing parallel to it at will, DeVault said; Kinect will recognize and apply both types of swings. "So if you prefer to putt facing into the Kinect [with your line pointing left of the screen], the game will recognize that, plus a traditional drive where you end up looking at the screen," DeVault said.

When virtual golfers try this out, DeVault hopes they'll give the harder modes a try, too. But he has some advice: Hold a real golf club when you do.

"When you play as Amateur or Pro, it feels like the Tiger Woods game you're used to, you're just using your body as a controller," DeVault said. "When you crank it up to Tournament, it really starts to feel like golf. So, just having that club in your hands starts to autocorrect what you do when you're swinging without a club.

"Tiger Woods comes in here and swings without a club, and it looks as beautiful as his swing does when he's holding a club," he continued. "But for the majority of us, without a club, it looks like some sort of newfangled game swing. Plus, if you're looking to get a workout in, play a couple of rounds with a short iron or a pitching wedge. You'll feel it in your arms the next day."

What was evidently disappointing to EA Sports was how few people really tried to play the game at the higher difficulty level with Kinect. DeVault repeated that the sensor captures more than 1,000 data points and then uses that, plus logic formed from hundreds of captured swings, to analyze your motion and create a shot authentic to it. Playing golf in this way is not easy, and will require practice and patience, just like the real sport.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't think there is enough height in our house to accomodate swinging a real golf club. I see lots of dented ceilings coming about because of this. LOL. And we have relatively high ceilings, but still I'm sure it's not possible. I guess if you live in a McMansion it would be doable. However you could hold like, um, a Wii remote and get a fairly close effect.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't think there is enough height in our house to accomodate swinging a real golf club. I see lots of dented ceilings coming about because of this. LOL. And we have relatively high ceilings, but still I'm sure it's not possible. I guess if you live in a McMansion it would be doable. However you could hold like, um, a Wii remote and get a fairly close effect.[/QUOTE]

With a typical 43" driver, if the person is 5'7", that means you need about 8.5 feet. Which is too small or cutting it too close in a newer home with low ceilings as I believe the standard nowadays is 8 feet.

A Wiimote will not feel the same as a true club because of the weight distribution.

31ira6q2tBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But you could use a kid's putter when is around 29" which would give you enough of distance from the ceiling if you're 5'7" and give you the weight distribution of a club. With a putter length around 29", that means height of the putter would be around 24" so you could be 6' tall and still make the 8 foot ceiling.

i'd worry more about hitting the ceiling fan in my living room, which is directly above the Kinect playing area.

I'm also 6'3 so a golf club at all would be a bad idea. Our ceiling is 8 feet.

Avengers for Kinect is by Ubisoft Quebec. So that lends to the idea that this will be the team that did the terrific PowerUP Heroes.

An online fighter with Marvel characters??? sign me up!!! :bouncy:

First Avengers screenshot:

007062.jpg

Also, I'll be trying Majesco's upcoming Kinect game NBA Baller Beats and one or more upcoming Microsoft Kinect titles next week. Looking forward to it.

here are some of my E3 vids for Kinect stuff (more E3 at my Youtube channel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-Tibu32Zc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75pUBSyxo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNp9u0pRCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huIjLwSWXUI
Here's the NBA Baller Beats game being multiplayer demoed by Curtis Smith and Ebony Hoffman from the WNBA Los Angeles Sparks. $this was a very cool booth demo! $a lot of people were standing around talking about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4J5NH5H6fA
Here's a guy demoing the NBA Baller Beats game for the Xbox 360 Kinect. 0:00 Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO. He's trying out the beginner level. 1:44 Tiësto vs. Diplo ft. Busta Rhymes - C'mon (Catch 'Em By Surprise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyIxa6UXbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUli7n2j7lI

[quote name='LinkinPrime']About time you can Kinect while sitting.[/QUOTE]

actually, you could do this in other games like The Gunstringer. The problem is most people have the Kinect up high which is for better overall performance. But when the Kinect is high and you're sitting down, you're having to raise your arm higher than is comfortable so you get tired.

when you're standing up, the kinect is probably lower than you so you're not getting the same arm fatigue.

I sit down while playing my Kinect whenever I want it to horribly lose track of my arms and body.

Great vids, Dirty! You should've told me you'd be there so we could meet up. Kinect-wise, I only got to play Power Rangers, but watched NBA Baller Beats and Dragonball Z Kinect a bunch too.

[quote name='eastx']I sit down while playing my Kinect whenever I want it to horribly lose track of my arms and body.

Great vids, Dirty! You should've told me you'd be there so we could meet up. Kinect-wise, I only got to play Power Rangers, but watched NBA Baller Beats and Dragonball Z Kinect a bunch too.[/QUOTE]

haha. if I knew you were going to be there, that would've been cool! it's like being at Disneyland. I didn't want to wait forever for things like Halo 4. heck, Star Trek was the worst 20 minute wait (did it because it was the end of the day and got a T-shirt out of it).

[quote name='dirtyvu']haha. if I knew you were going to be there, that would've been cool! it's like being at Disneyland. I didn't want to wait forever for things like Halo 4. heck, Star Trek was the worst 20 minute wait (did it because it was the end of the day and got a T-shirt out of it).[/QUOTE]

Dang, wish I'd gotten a Star Trek shirt! I did manage to get a picture taken in the Captain's seat at least. The only free shirts I got period were Ascend: New Gods and Family Guy Online, as I was too busy for long lines for the most part.

What company where you there with? WPCentral and Co-Optimus here, as my sig indicates.

[quote name='eastx']Dang, wish I'd gotten a Star Trek shirt! I did manage to get a picture taken in the Captain's seat at least. The only free shirts I got period were Ascend: New Gods and Family Guy Online, as I was too busy for long lines for the most part.

What company where you there with? WPCentral and Co-Optimus here, as my sig indicates.[/QUOTE]

3589zkl.jpg

you mean like this? :p

Wedbush Securities

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez that picture's too big. Funny though!

[youtube]6bZhErVt_pE[/youtube]

Here's my one Kinect video of E3. Contains footage of NBA Baller Beats, Dragonball Z Kinect, and Power Rangers Super Samurai. Wish we'd gotten better footage of some of them but we very much super pressed for time.

I'm also interested in Wreckateer. It looked fun to me. I'll definitely be trying the demo once it's released.

Angry Birds Trilogy for $40 (retail release)... cough! I don't see that happening. But I'll pick it up when it's in the bargain bins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COkkmvLuSxk

I was doing a random play of my library and hit this song (Freckles by Natasha Bedingfield). I remembered a conversation with a friend who hated freckles so I thought of her when this song popped up. A good time as ever to play with chroma key and Avatar Kinect. This is dedicated to you, Miss Kissy! :p Using Avatar Kinect for the Xbox 360 to make the video and Adobe Premiere to put it all together.

I work at a nursing home and I'm curious if any kinect games can be played well from a wheel chair. Anyone have experience with that? I'd love to bring my kinect to work for an activity if the game was simple enough to be enjoyed.

honestly, it's tiring on your arm to play kinect games from the seated position because you have to raise your arm higher than if you were standing. i think you can improve this situation if you place the kinect lower (but my kinect is permanently above the TV).

I just upgraded to a bundle with Kinect with the deal from Newegg. I figure I'll use my gift card towards a Kinect game. Which is the best dance game for Kinect? What other games are worth it?

[quote name='elaine_of_shalott']I just upgraded to a bundle with Kinect with the deal from Newegg. I figure I'll use my gift card towards a Kinect game. Which is the best dance game for Kinect? What other games are worth it?[/QUOTE]

My family really likes the Just Dance games. You can play upto 4 people. Dance Central 2 is another good one. I think there demos on xbox live. Other good games. Kinect sports, Gunstringer, for young kids, Happy Action Theater.

Too bad Wreckateer sounds like a dud. I was looking forward to it. Anyone have anything more positive to say about it?

As far as dance games, you really can't go wrong with Dance Central 1 & 2. Great games.

What I played of Wreckateer was fun. Is it getting bad reviews? I'm out of town right now, so I only got to play it a little bit before release.

[quote name='elaine_of_shalott']I just upgraded to a bundle with Kinect with the deal from Newegg. I figure I'll use my gift card towards a Kinect game. Which is the best dance game for Kinect? What other games are worth it?[/QUOTE]

For dancing, I'd start off with Dance Central 2 and Just Dance 3. DC2 because of how realistic it is and because of its presentation. JD3 for its 4-player choreography and silliness.

Honorable mentions are The Black Eyed Peas Experience, Just Dance: Greatest Hits and Rhythm Party.

For non-dancing, what type of games interest you? Kinect Sports is a must own. The Gunstringer has a lot of value. Fruit Ninja is awesome. Kung Fu High Impact is a great one. Kinect Sports Season 2 now has enough content (free DLC!) to be close to must own. Child of Eden is fantastic. PowerUp Heroes and the upcoming Avengers are excellent. Puss in Boots looks beautiful and is like being in the movie. Disneyland Adventures is beautiful and is a great recreation of Disneyland. Tiger Woods 13 is solid golfing action.

party games: Wipeout 1, 2, and 3 are like the TV show and fun and funny in a party scenario. Raving Rabbids is funny.

exercise games: Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012, The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout, and Zumba Fitness Rush are great.

kids: Fantastic Pets is a great pet simulator that young kids don't need handholding with (unlike Kinectimals where the parent has to do a lot). Happy Action Theater is a great way to be silly (it's not really a game though).

hybrids (sort of uses Kinect): Forza Motorsport 4 (an amazing racing game that has Kinect modes and voice control). Halo Anniversary (some exclusive Kinect content and voice control). Mass Effect 3 (voice control). Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (voice control). Minecraft (Kinect features yet to be revealed).

Just Dance 3 gameplay

The Black Eyed Peas Experience

Rhythm Party

Kinect Sports (showing the track and field events)

Kinect Sports (showing a minigame)

The Gunstringer

Fruit Ninja

Kung Fu High Impact

Kinect Sports Season 2

Child of Eden

PowerUP Heroes

Puss in Boots

Disneyland Adventures

Wipeout

Happy Action Theater

I would only recommend the Blacked Eyed Peas Experience if you're really serious about dancing (or enjoy singing). The routines are way too complex, making it a poor choice for casual play. Awesome visuals and music though.

[quote name='crunchewy']Too bad Wreckateer sounds like a dud. I was looking forward to it. Anyone have anything more positive to say about it?

As far as dance games, you really can't go wrong with Dance Central 1 & 2. Great games.[/QUOTE]

I'm enjoying Wreckateer so far. You really need a lot of space to play though. The controls on some of the bombs need work as well. It's still fun.

I have to agree with Dance Central 2. It's a great game.

Truth be told, don't buy a damn thing till you've played a demo of it. Kinect is truly hit or miss for people, give the games a demo run first before spending your hard earned money. The only games i would recommend purchasing would be Kinect Sports 1 and just dance 3 (4 is due out real soon). Otherwise, as i mentioned, try out every demo you can find.

I blind bought Wreckateer due to the hype EastX was giving the game. If it sucks, I'm blaming him. :p But I did watch the IGN review (6.5) and it looked like a lot of fun.

I'll definitely check out the demos once it gets here. Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out dance central and just dance and pick one for the first purchase. I am planning on waiting on Kinect Sports until the ultimate version has a price drop or sale in the fall. Of course it comes with Kinect Adventures and Carnival games. Is the latter worth playing or should I just try to sell the code? Of course geek that I am I downloaded the free Mars lander game already. I wish Star Wars Kinect was better. From what I've seen of reviews most say it was very poorly executed.

A friend of mine seems to like Wreckateer quite a bit, so I've got a bit more hope for it. Plus a I need a fun new kid-friendly (just meaning, fun for kids) Kinect game for our beach trip next week. :) I'll download the demo tonight.

[quote name='elaine_of_shalott']I'll definitely check out the demos once it gets here. Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out dance central and just dance and pick one for the first purchase. I am planning on waiting on Kinect Sports until the ultimate version has a price drop or sale in the fall. Of course it comes with Kinect Adventures and Carnival games. Is the latter worth playing or should I just try to sell the code? Of course geek that I am I downloaded the free Mars lander game already. I wish Star Wars Kinect was better. From what I've seen of reviews most say it was very poorly executed.[/QUOTE]

That Kinect Sports combo pack comes out in the fall so unless you're hoping for a preorder discount, it's going to be normal price. But then again, it's both titles together for $50 so that's a discount over buying both titles separately.

There are a lot of Kinect Fun Labs apps for free. I am Super is very cool and silly. the air band one is a lot of fun, especially if you have lots of friends to join you. I just love all the augmented reality stuff.

I thought the Kung Fu one was pretty fun too, though I only played it a couple times. Probably doesn't last, but all that kicking and chopping felt like a decent workout, and a fun one. :) I need to download more free fun labs stuff. I'm missing a lot of it.

The best, imo, are Kinect Sports 1&2, Kinect Adventures, and the Gunstringer. There are others, like Dance Central, that are good, just not my cup of tea. And others, like Wipeout or CArnival Games, that are decent, but only if you can get them cheap.

bread's done
Back