Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

[quote name='eastx']I got Kinect Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure in a bit early (it comes out on Tuesday).

Some impressions (a full review should come within a week or two):
  • You have to navigate around a hub world sort of like Kinect Disneyland Adventures. But you actually wave your arms like you're running to move forward, not just hold them in place as with KDA. You turn by leaning your shoulders (rather than reaching with an arm), which is lame. You will wish for a controller.
  • Several of the minigames use the annoying running mechanic, but you also have to jump and do other crap too. Would be much better with a controller.
  • In the cars minigames you pretend you're holding a steering wheel like Kinect Joyride. These are actually fun and intuitive.
  • Each of the five main minigames (Cars, Ratootie (sp), Toy Story, Incredibles, and Up) has something like 8 separate levels, all of which have different story scenes, visuals, etc. You have to earn points in the prior level (accumulative) to unlock new levels. It seems like there's a lot of content despite only having 5 movie properties.
  • The graphics are some of the best in a Kinect game.
  • In co-op, the game often forgot who we were and switched us to guests. Worse than even KDA, which was pretty bad on this front. Thankfully, you do still get Achievements as long as your Live profile is signed in. Both players get Achievements.

The profile shenanigans and poor running controls so far are hampering my fun, but I was playing with my young daughter. I think it will be more fun to do solo.[/QUOTE]

would you mind if I copy and paste your response in a kinect forum I visit? (123kinect)

[quote name='eastx']Here's my official Kinect Rush: A Disney-Pixar Adventure review. Check it out, wontcha?[/QUOTE]

great job with the review. what I noticed with most if not all kinect multiplayer games is that the person standing closer to the TV gets the main focus and is in control of the cursor/game. so yeah, when it comes to having multiple people recognized for the Kinect ID part, it's better for the person to be recognized by moving closer while the other player steps backward or out of the picture. the person to be recognized slides forward while the other person slides back.

my friends made this video and it had some hilarious moments so I just had to post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulgo_WTBJc0

720P video of F3AR1355S and TrinityQiTrance messing around in Avatar Kinect. 0:14 Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye. 0:41 Synthia is naked. 3:04 kung fu fighting. 4:39 everybody, pelvic thrust. 5:31 a love fest. 6:36 F3AR1355S loves snowballs. 7:34 vampires and pumpkins! 9:17 superheroes! unite! 12:10 TrinityQiTrance getting horny! 13:14 (I've Had) The Time of My Life. 15:43 F3AR1355S gets flowered. 15:53 Mary Poppins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgS9zZ6Tcqo

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing Kinect Star Wars for a bit now. I can't go into details until it releases next week, but I'll say my impressions are very positive so far.

[quote name='eastx']I've been playing Kinect Star Wars for a bit now. I can't go into details until it releases next week, but I'll say my impressions are very positive so far.[/QUOTE]

I'll never get the bad taste of playing a demo of it last year out of my mouth. I don't care how much better it may be now.

[quote name='theredworm']I'll never get the bad taste of playing a demo of it last year out of my mouth. I don't care how much better it may be now.[/QUOTE]

I didn't try the demo, so I'm curious as to what you disliked about it. You should try to keep in mind that pre-release demos are always incomplete code and usually forced on developers by the publisher.

[quote name='62t']Don't think there is any way to fix this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OnDizZ7UT0[/QUOTE]

IMO it doesn't need fixing. The dancing mode is just really silly and funny. Not accidentally funny, but genuinely so and on purpose, which is cool with me. The main game mode (with lightsaber battles and action) is long and serious, but the dancing is more of a big, fun bonus.

[quote name='eastx']IMO it doesn't need fixing. The dancing mode is just really silly and funny. Not accidentally funny, but genuinely so and on purpose, which is cool with me. The main game mode (with lightsaber battles and action) is long and serious, but the dancing is more of a big, fun bonus.[/QUOTE]
That's the first thing I've seen that makes me interested in the game. I like a dev who can take a joke and have a little fun with their IP.

I think that dancing bit in Kinect Star Wars looks pretty funny. The outrage over it is kind of goofy IMHO. I love the dance moves/names. The "Trash Compactor". LOL. I'm going to give the game a rental at least. At the very least I expect the dance part to be fun. Hopefully it will come to Redbox. I need an excuse to use one of those rental discount codes.

[quote name='crunchewy']That Crimson Dragon game... I can't really tell from the trailer, but it kind of looks like it's similar to Child of Eden.[/QUOTE]

The control mechanism is very similar to Child of Eden and the developers directly mentioned it in interviews that why mess with a great control system?

While Child of Eden has one hand control one weapon and the other hand control the other weapon, and both hands release the bomb, in Crimson Dragon, you can apparently substitute weapons that you earn and unlock.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Star Wars Kinect had 10 teams and over 200 people working on it. And from 2009 till now. Its your Xbox Live Gold dollars at work. Enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

You're not really making any kind of argument that I can see. If you're implying that the game isn't good due to its development process, I doubt you've played it, so you really can't have an informed opinion as to its actual quality.

[quote name='eastx']You're not really making any kind of argument that I can see. If you're implying that the game isn't good due to its development process, I doubt you've played it, so you really can't have an informed opinion as to its actual quality.[/QUOTE]

trolls be trolls. nothing you can do about him. the #1 tool of the troll is to make stuff up...

Ok, I just borrowed my brother's Kinect.... him You Star 2 can't pick up my speech yet calibration on the dashboard works fine...hmm... now what games to get.

Metacritic is not being too kind to Kinect Star Wars (mostly mediocre reviews, though a couple good reviews and a couple terrible reviews). I'll still give it a rental - I find myself wondering if the pre-release rage-fest might be coloring the reviews of the final product. I will try it myself and find out... if Redbox gets it.

[quote name='eastx']I didn't try the demo, so I'm curious as to what you disliked about it. You should try to keep in mind that pre-release demos are always incomplete code and usually forced on developers by the publisher.[/QUOTE]

it barely worked, the controls were awkward, overall it just wasn't fun

yeah I know it's a demo but I've seen tons of demos in the past that played as good as the final product, seeing the negative it's getting from gaming sites I'll stick with my stance that this game is a turd

[quote name='theredworm']it barely worked, the controls were awkward, overall it just wasn't fun

yeah I know it's a demo but I've seen tons of demos in the past that played as good as the final product, seeing the negative it's getting from gaming sites I'll stick with my stance that this game is a turd[/QUOTE]

there are 2 types of demos.

the first demo is simply the game with locked modes. like the trial XBLA demos where it's exactly the same code but they put in locks so that you can only sample it and then pay to unlock it. You experience this when you try out the demo, then pay for it, and then it doesn't download the full game but simply "bink" the game is unlocked.

And then there's the demos of big retail titles. And these demos are not locked modes. At some point in the early development they need to fork the code into 2 paths. One path is the development of the game where they put in all the content and build the game for the retail channel.

The other path is now code that is totally separate and developed separately for a demo build. The demo code is worked on so that the game isn't constantly crashing during the demo. Since trade shows are now so public due to Internet reporters, demos are even more important than before and it's even more important than before that the game is stable or else people will report that the game is in trouble (when it's not).

In fact, developers hate having to spend energy and time on prepping a demo build for trade shows and demonstrations. But to get gamers and retailers excited about the product, you need to show them something and hence the demo build of the retail title. They're already under extreme time pressure to get the game to retail but now have to devote some time to developing the E3 build alongside the development of the retail build.

With the programming tools as sophisticated as they are now, the traditional barrier between the demo build and the developmental build is disappearing. But it's still quite common.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Sure enough, Eurogamer reports that the dancing is the only fun part.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the consensus in lots of reviews.

Personally, I think Kinect Star Wars will be great for drinking games at Star Wars parties, especially the dancing part.

[quote name='crunchewy']Metacritic is not being too kind to Kinect Star Wars (mostly mediocre reviews, though a couple good reviews and a couple terrible reviews). I'll still give it a rental - I find myself wondering if the pre-release rage-fest might be coloring the reviews of the final product. I will try it myself and find out... if Redbox gets it.[/QUOTE]
After playing some of the "campaign", I find it a mediocre product. It is a little boring. Controls don't always react when you move. Moving forward is really awkward.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Too bad the Kinect Sensor on the SW bundle isn't SW themed.[/QUOTE]

A shame. I still think it was a missed opportunity to not make a bundle with just Kinect and Kinect Star Wars, but I guess it wouldn't have been worth it anyway.

Someone asked if you can do a 9-hole online match in golf for Kinect Sports Season 2 (but I can't find the post). Yes, you can. Once you've invited your friend, go to switch sports, select golf and choose 9 holes. If you bought the DLC, you can also choose 18 holes (but man, 18 holes would take a long time unless both of you are good).

Here's the 720P vid. If you're looking to knock out your 1 hour of Xbox Youtube, this vid is just over an hour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoq2UboaY4I

720P gameplay of Kinect Sports Season 2 for the Xbox 360 Kinect. This is an Xbox Live online match against TrinityQiTrance. It is a 9-hole golf match. 0:55 Hole 1. 7:32 rickrolled (Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up). 7:48 caddie is all funky! 8:42 The Emotions - You've Got the Best of My Love. 9:17 Hole 2. 10:28 HOLE-IN-ONE!!! Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand. 13:07 Hole 3. 21:43 Europe - The Final Countdown. 22:26 Hole 4. 28:20 Hole 5. 31:04 hitting from the water. 32:29 TrinityQiTrance hates water. 37:50 Chesney Hawkes - The One and Only. 38:18 St Trinians - Uh Oh We're In Trouble. 38:42 Hole 6. 41:52 a nice pitch! 42:46 Hole 7. 50:13 Hole 8. 53:04 hitting from the water. 55:05 Hole 9. 55:57 shortcut to the hole!!!

The Star Wars game controls like shit. Really, is everyone having problems with it? I can't even get past the training properly.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I watched the quick look and yeah Kinect Star Wars is a disappointment.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with Kinect Star Wars being less than fabulous. But I do have an issue with these game sites making people who hate the Kinect demonstrate or review the products. Brad has shown disdain for Kinect every single time he was forced to be in a quick look or any other video. Giant Bomb should stick to Ryan, Patrick, or even Alex.

It's like you don't stick a guy who plays CoD 24/7 to review Minecraft.

Seriously, I don't know where some of these people are coming from. Nobody will like every game, but my 4 year old daughter had no problem with Jedi Destiny's controls. The other modes are a smidge complex for her though.

FINALLY got my kinect back and all i tried so far was the Kinect Star Wars racing. Pretty terrible and like usual my hands hurt after a while holding them strait in the air (i work out 2 hours a day at the gym 5 days a week, do not make the excuse that im out of shape please). Im going to give the full game some time hopefully this week.

[quote name='blitz6speed']FINALLY got my kinect back and all i tried so far was the Kinect Star Wars racing. Pretty terrible and like usual my hands hurt after a while holding them strait in the air (i work out 2 hours a day at the gym 5 days a week, do not make the excuse that im out of shape please). Im going to give the full game some time hopefully this week.[/QUOTE]

most, if not all, of the Kinect games that have you have your arms forward... you can have just the forearms forward while the arms hang down.

this is how I play Child of Eden, The Gunstringer, etc. I would die if I had to hold my arm and forearm completely straight and forward.

[quote name='dirtyvu']most, if not all, of the Kinect games that have you have your arms forward... you can have just the forearms forward while the arms hang down.

this is how I play Child of Eden, The Gunstringer, etc. I would die if I had to hold my arm and forearm completely straight and forward.[/QUOTE]

interesting, ill give that a shot.

I haven't played much of Kinect Star Wars but I did the Pod Racing (Did all 6 races in 1 go) and the Rancor (I did like 2 levels of this so far) modes and I had a lot of fun with both of those and thought they controlled fine, however I have yet to try the Jedi modes so I'm not sure how those work.

lol
xlarge.jpg

Dragonball Z confirmed for the Kinect... release date is still a little dodgy, ranging from October 2012 to 2013, depending on the article...

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/11/yes-dragon-ball-z-kinect-is-real-its-coming-in-october/

http://gematsu.com/2012/04/dragon-ball-z-for-kinect-announced

The Xbox 360 exclusive will have 50 characters to play as and a short video showed Goku in battle.

Players can unlock characters via QR cards.

Dragon Ball Z Kinect will have 100+ moves and 30 minutes of new anime content.

DBZ-for-Kinect-Box-600x799.jpg

I'm wondering if it'll have online multiplayer like PowerUp Heroes. Until then, I'll enjoy PowerUp Heroes.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Dragonball Z confirmed for the Kinect... release date is still a little dodgy, ranging from October 2012 to 2013, depending on the article...[/QUOTE]

That's awesome news. I wish Microsoft was publishing it 'cause then I'd get it for free.

bread's done
Back