Kinect - Gen. Info & Discussion

[quote name='crunchewy']I thought the Kung Fu one was pretty fun too, though I only played it a couple times. Probably doesn't last, but all that kicking and chopping felt like a decent workout, and a fun one. :) I need to download more free fun labs stuff. I'm missing a lot of it.[/QUOTE]

Kung Fu High Impact is on sale for $15 @ Amazon. Really tempted to bite.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']The best, imo, are Kinect Sports 1&2, Kinect Adventures, and the Gunstringer. There are others, like Dance Central, that are good, just not my cup of tea. And others, like Wipeout or CArnival Games, that are decent, but only if you can get them cheap.[/QUOTE]

Second, don't forget Child of Eden too, very cool with use of the Kinect and controls well.

Well I wasn't too happy with some of the demos. For example I felt the demo for just dance was far to limited for me to get a good feel for the game, and some like Child of Eden didn't seem to have a demo. Fortunately I found a good alternative. My library network has almost all the games you recommended I check out available. A few minutes online to put in a request and in a few days I'll be able to pick up the games for a free "rental" of a week or two to see which ones I really want.

[quote name='elaine_of_shalott']I'll definitely check out the demos once it gets here. Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out dance central and just dance and pick one for the first purchase. I am planning on waiting on Kinect Sports until the ultimate version has a price drop or sale in the fall. Of course it comes with Kinect Adventures and Carnival games. Is the latter worth playing or should I just try to sell the code? Of course geek that I am I downloaded the free Mars lander game already. I wish Star Wars Kinect was better. From what I've seen of reviews most say it was very poorly executed.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would dump the Carnival game. There are only a few good events but not a good overall package. But you're probably not going to get much for it so in that case, might as well keep it.

Here's me playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGREfSPLyoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMW0bZiW8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SbqVUcBbM

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/fruit-ninja-kinect-dlc-revisits-gaming-history/#continued

press release:

Halfbrick announces 8-Bit Cartridge DLC for Fruit Ninja KinectTM

Retro style meets modern gameplay, debuting at PAX Prime

Brisbane, Australia – August 28th, 2012 – To celebrate the golden age of gaming and add even more content to Fruit Ninja Kinect™, Halfbrick has announced the imminent release of the 8-Bit Cartridge DLC for the XBLA favorite. With a funky chiptunes soundtrack and gigantic pixels everywhere, the classic style of retro games comes alive in the modern motion-controlled masterpiece!

The DLC features the Super Retro Land background, Game Man shadow and Pixel Love blade – not to mention a complete graphical overhaul as Sensei and his beloved fruit receive a serious downgrade. Releasing this Friday, August 31st for 160 Microsoft Points, the 8-Bit Cartridge pack is the first of many more DLC packs planned for Fruit Ninja Kinect™ throughout the remainder of 2012.

As long-time exhibitors and supporters of the Penny Arcade Expo, Halfbrick staff will be on hand this week at PAX Prime in Seattle (Booth 6115) to demo the 8-Bit Cartridge. The fun doesn't stop there – Halfbrick is giving away free download codes for the DLC to each and every person who visits*!

Since its initial release as part of the 2011 Summer of Arcade , Fruit Ninja Kinect™ has been downloaded over 1.5 million times, cementing its place as one of the most popular XBLA games of all time.

To check out the debut trailer for the 8-Bit Cartridge, head to Halfbrick's official Youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1mKd6GoO7E

Disappointed that Happy Action Theater 2 is going to be called "Kinect Party." Based on the first HAT I know the sequel is going to be incredibly creative and unique and filled with personality, but that name makes it sound like some lame, generic pack-in game.

You're disappointed by a name change? o_O

Everyone had no clue what "double fine happy action theater" was. For as much love as Double Fine gets, it's a niche company among the masses (judging by sales of Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, etc.). Heck, not many people know that they made the Sesame Street game (but they do remember that Sesame Street was a Kinect game). And "Happy Action Theater"... what is that? Is that like movie karaoke? Is it a singing game? musical theater? It's not exactly a title that says what it is.

A lot of casual shoppers search for Kinect titles by using the search term "kinect" or "kinect games". So if changing the name to Double Fine Kinect Party or Kinect Party brings some awareness and visibility, I'm all for it. Wii Party sold mighty well. Also, Party connotes a multiplayer experience which is one of the title's best asset. Besides, a name is just a name.

[quote name='dirtyvu']You're disappointed by a name change? o_O[/QUOTE]
Well, mildly. :lol: I'll still get the game on release and surely enjoy the hell out of it.

At least 3 Kinect releases on September 18:

Kinect Sports Ultimate - Contains Kinect Sports 1 & 2 + all Kinect Sports 2 DLC for $50. Not a bad deal if you don't own either game already.

Kinect Nat Geo TV - Coming in both retail and Games on Demand versions for $30. Each one has separate Achievements and slightly different content. This is basically a collection of educational shows for kids populated with minigames that support 2-player co-op.

Kinect Sesame Street TV - Same deal as above (2 versions), but it's single-player only. Great for young kids, not really meant for anyone older.

Can I get some friends for kinect, especially for fun labs, I just got a kinect for a very cheap price and its very cool, especially for the price I paid.

The demo for Fable: The Journey is out and it's pretty darn good. It's right up there with Gunstringer, I think. I am a pretty big Fable fan, so having the demo turn out pretty decent in terms of kinect controls and the overall Fable feel....I'm pretty happy. Going to put in my preorder now.

I'm curious about the Fable game. Never have been a Fable fan because I don't like RPGs in general. I got Fable 2 for free.

But this game is just set in the Fable world and not in the same vein as the other ones so I'm willing to try it out.

I just picked up the fruit ninja and gunstringer code from ebay so I will probably hold off on fable for a while, I just have way too many games, though I will try the demo when I have the time as I am trying some other demos right now.

Angry Birds is out... No way am I considering it at $40, especially since I'm not a fan of the series. But I'm curious if a demo is coming out to try. For $40, they really need to release a demo...

I agree that, logically, there is no reason to spend $40 for Angry Birds on the 360. But, darnit, I'm still tempted to get it. I don't even think I'd use the kinect controls either.

I have multiple versions of Angry birds downloaded so I doubt I need to pay $40 to get the console version. I might pick it up eventually if it hits the obligatory $10 price point, which it should as these games are available on multiple mobile devices for $1 each.

I got burned out on Angry Birds at some point partway through Seasons on my iPhone, so no interest in a $40 console version, or really any price but free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ya7C3TPGzk

I was watching the new trailer for Avengers game and the graphics are different than the demo build they just released! The trailer graphics have the characters looking like the movie version rather than the comic book versions shown previously.

Like in the demo, you see Thor wearing his helmet and having different armor. Captain America has the traditional outfit in the demo but the movie outfit in the trailer. Or are there multiple outfits per character?

So are the newer graphics in the trailer merely for cutscenes or have the retail build graphics been updated?

here's the graphics from the newly released demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lilm7nBHyLA

Interesting that The Avengers might have different skins for each character. That would be nice.

I received a review copy of NBA Baller Beats today, which I'm quite happy about. But man, dribbling on a carpet is tough. And the game in general is very tough, though it's well-made and I like what they were going for. The stage demos at E3 and other places all had a screen at floor level for players to view, and I think that would make it easier as well. Watching the physical ball and the screen simultaneously ain't easy. But it is fun and I recommend playing it if you like the physical game of basketball.

You're not supposed to be looking at the ball when dribbling. You're only supposed to be looking at your opponents and the hoop. That's one of things you're supposed to know. :p

NBA Baller Beats sounds fun, but completely ridiculous. I'm not going to play the game in my house and even if I had a garage, I wouldn't put a TV and Xbox in there just for this game.

Fable: The Journey review copies are finally going out, so I should get to play it soon. Could've tried it at a few previous events, but I was busy with other stuff. Also, Microsoft is taking their sweet time sending out Dance Central 3. Last year I got part 2 a whopping 3 weeks early! Either they have lower expectations for part 2, or it just took longer to go gold.

[quote name='crunchewy']NBA Baller Beats sounds fun, but completely ridiculous. I'm not going to play the game in my house and even if I had a garage, I wouldn't put a TV and Xbox in there just for this game.[/QUOTE]

If you're concerned about the ball damaging stuff, we made sure to keep our drinks farther away than usual and such. I already have a sizable space cleared for Kinect gameplay anyway. The game itself doesn't need more than that typical space, but the ball getting away from you is a possibility.

I just picked up fable. My expectations are in check, but this is fable so I had to get it.

Update: Now that I've played through the first chapter or two, I can say that I really, really like it! The carriage controls are spot-on! I already care about the horse. The story is very fable, too. So far I'm happy with the purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only played the demo. But I will say this. Make sure you calibrate it to exactly how you want it to target. Meaning, I put my hand to exactly cover the enemy. That's how I know where the end result of my hand will be. The better you calibrate, the easier it is to hit what you intend. When i first ran the calibration, and it said to aim toward the left target, I exaggerated the motion. And then when it came time to hit an actual left target, I didn't know exactly where to aim because I had exaggerated it.

It is kind of weird to actually cover up the target (meaning I can't see the target because my hand is blocking the view), but now it's pretty accurate where my shot is going to go.

at first I hated the menu for Just Dance 4 because it's so different. especially if you're used to the side swipe of games like Dance Central or the cursor hover of other kinect games.

but once you realize how it works, it works really well! The trick is not to track any type of hand cursor. I used to move my hand to try to put the cursor over the box and then jab which of course would miss the box. Ignore the hand cursor! When you move your hand around the screen, the box will light up when your real hand is over it. That's when you know it's selected and then you just do a quick jab at the screen. Really a nice system actually.

and the Just Dance TV is pretty addicting! like watching Youtube videos.

the thing I hated about Just Dance on the Wii was that the scoring seemed nearly random. Not sure if it's better on Kinect, but I got the impression that was sort of by design. I.e. "just dance" - don't worry about scoring. Which obviously works for many, but it drove me crazy the little bit I played it.

Just Dance 4 is getting that uber popular Gangnam Style or whatever it is, as DLC. I forget when, but sometimes in the semi-near future. I wouldn't mind seeing that on DC3.

DC3 is great so far, but by "so far" I mean, after having played 2 songs in story mode. The story mode is amusing. Very silly.

You do get away with a lot more in Just Dance. But it's not random scoring on the Kinect, and it's much better than the Wii (I have JD1 and JD2 for the Wii). The big problem I had with the Wii was that you had to hold the Wiimote but not only that, you had to keep it in the same hand. And after awhile your arm wants to fall off. They don't let you switch the Wiimote to different hands midsong because your right and left hands sometimes do different motions.

For Just Dance 3 and 4 on the Kinect, it's not as tight in motion detection as the Dance Central series. On the other hand, there's no tutorial and the motions are more organic. So until you do the motions a few times, I think Just Dance is harder. But there's no booing. There's no real penalty besides a "missed" symbol. And Just Dance has 4 player choreography where each player has specific moves, not just everyone dancing the same steps in sync.

I'm not advocating Just Dance over Dance Central. I have DC1 and DC2 and a ton of DLC (marathon pack 1, lady gaga pack, rihanna pack, etc.). And I plan on getting DC3 down the line (it's just that so many games are coming up that some things have to take a back seat). But I think dancers need to squeeze in Just Dance. It's also easier for people to in a party to goof around. DC seems a lot more intimidating to people.

I did pick up Just Dance 4. The menu system is ok.
But I wish they would bring back the controller controlled menu... More for my kids.
Its a good game. But just menu needs tweaking.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I'm not advocating Just Dance over Dance Central. I have DC1 and DC2 and a ton of DLC (marathon pack 1, lady gaga pack, rihanna pack, etc.). And I plan on getting DC3 down the line (it's just that so many games are coming up that some things have to take a back seat). But I think dancers need to squeeze in Just Dance. It's also easier for people to in a party to goof around. DC seems a lot more intimidating to people.[/QUOTE]

Dance Central 3 adds a Beginner difficulty as well as a party mode, which should increase its accessibility. The Beginner difficulty is a great addition, but I'm not sold on party mode yet. The navigation and song selection (skipping) seems confusing. Will need to mess with it more soon.

Also, I would have bought or reviewed Just Dance 4, but the lack of controller support was enough for me to stick with DC3 and its wonderful menus.

[quote name='dirtyvu']you use a controller to control the menus?[/QUOTE]

Yes. While Dance Central's motion-controlled menus are good, nothing is as natural (or fast) as using a controller. Kinect Sesame Street TV and Nat Geo TV also support the option - I wish every Kinect title would.

Dance Centrals menus are great without a controller. Having to grab a controller would just slow things down I'd think.

I didn't realize they added a beginner mode. I didn't see that option for the story mode. Is it only in regular pick the song you want mode?

bread's done
Back