Kinect sensor MSRP drop to $110

I had no idea it was still this much. The Gunstringer/Fruit Ninja $99 bundle should be standard by now.

It's easy to find one on eBay or Craigslist for about $50. That's how much it's worth and how much it should have been from day one.

[quote name='HydroX']I'm shocked it wasn't dropped to $99.99 ... It can't be selling all that well, can it?[/QUOTE]

MS has sold something like 20 million kinects...I'm pretty sure that makes it the most successful add on accessory ever. They can't push the price down too hard for the stand alone kinect without impacting console bundles pricing (ie, 360 hardware bundles with kinect currently cost $100 more than the the standard xbox hardware), or at least at the current hardware prices. I would expect that with the next hardware price drop, the current $100 kinect bundle premium will become something like a $60 premium and with price promotions/gift card promos we'll see $80-ish stand alone kinect prices for the holidays

I paid 100 on black friday and have accepted it basically as "the thing you need to play dance central", much like those plastic guitars are the things you need to play rock band/guitar hero.

Although I have to say my niece loves that Puss in Boots game. It's actually not half bad.

[quote name='K_G']MS has sold something like 20 million kinects...I'm pretty sure that makes it the most successful add on accessory ever. [/QUOTE]

40 million Wii balance boards beg to differ.

Getting closer. $50 is my max buy. Still holding it against Ballmer (I believe he said it?) for saying it was worth $50 long before they launched it. I'm inclined to agree.

[quote name='JP73']Kmart has it for $99 next week[/QUOTE] Thanks for letting me know this. I'm definitely going to my local Kmart next week!

[quote name='crunchewy']Kinect is good and worth it, for Dance Central and Fruit Ninja Kinect alone and there's other good stuff too.[/QUOTE]

Can't agree with you on that. Both games are fun, but they definitely do not justify the $110 for the sensor plus the cost of the game(s). I got mine bundled with my console for the wife, and it mostly sits there collecting dust. The technology is good, but it needs to get a lot better to be really engrossing.

Dance Central is great. If you don't love it, though, then yeah it's harder to justify the thing. Really I should have said that DC alone justifies it. Fruit Ninja I had a lot of fun with and I love it, but it doesn't really belong in the same category as DC, more like a very nice bonus once you have it.

[quote name='adamical']40 million Wii balance boards beg to differ.[/QUOTE]

While I stand corrected, I think 40 million balance boards is a bit high....
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wii.html
While Nintendo states they've had software sales of 22 million wii fits and 20 million wii fit plus , I would suspect that a good chunk of those wii fit plus sales were stand alone software sales, not bundles.

MS stuffed the channels, they have not sold 20m. They practically put the sensor company out of business with low balling them and cutting orders. Never change MS.

[quote name='HydroX']I'm shocked it wasn't dropped to $99.99 ... It can't be selling all that well, can it?[/QUOTE]

Went nearly 2 years without a price drop... Based on some basic economics, that means it's selling pretty well.

LOL, got my Kinect last year with 4 free games for $99 on Amazon. Only worth it for Dance Central. Other than that, its not worth more than $30. I know I wasted money on it but it was for my family and they enjoy it.

[quote name='tylerh1701']They couldn't even cut it to $99.99?[/QUOTE]
That was my first reaction too. Gives me a vibe like they just felt like being pricks. Just make it 100 bucks already.

Still not buying it since I don't have a good environment for it and I wouldn't care about anything about that Double Fine Happy Action thing, but I know others who may jump on this now.

[quote name='K_G']MS has sold something like 20 million kinects...I'm pretty sure that makes it the most successful add on accessory ever.[/QUOTE]

75% off those sold were probably from cheaper 4GB Bundles like the $99 down pay as you go 4GB Kinect bundle deal. I bet harddrives are a close 2nd in sells not including 360 Pro owners. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping for a Dance Central 3 bundle, then a deal on that bundle near the holidays.

[quote name='retail sucks']75% off those sold were probably from cheaper 4GB Bundles like the $99 down pay as you go 4GB Kinect bundle deal. I bet harddrives are a close 2nd in sells not including 360 Pro owners. ;)[/QUOTE]

That's still 20 mil of these out there. Who gives a shit where they came from, theoretically there are possibly 15-20 mil homes have one, accounting for the broken and homes with multiple. That's a lot of individual customers who have one.

[quote name='Kerig']I had no idea it was still this much. The Gunstringer/Fruit Ninja $99 bundle should be standard by now.

It's easy to find one on eBay or Craigslist for about $50. That's how much it's worth and how much it should have been from day one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is what I paid last holiday season, and was happy with it at that price.

I got the Fruit Ninja/Gunslinger combo on Amazon Warehouse deals for $63 last year.... when I got it, there was no token for either game in the box. Amazon offered a return or $18 off (I still don't know how they got that number), so I ended up with a sensor for $45.

AND IT WASN'T EVEN WORTH THAT MUCH. LOL. I keep asking it to order me pizza and it won't do it! You'd think Dominos or Pizza Hut would jump on that shit.

[quote name='roblutter']I got the Fruit Ninja/Gunslinger combo on Amazon Warehouse deals for $63 last year.... when I got it, there was no token for either game in the box. Amazon offered a return or $18 off (I still don't know how they got that number), so I ended up with a sensor for $45.

AND IT WASN'T EVEN WORTH THAT MUCH. LOL. I keep asking it to order me pizza and it won't do it! You'd think Dominos or Pizza Hut would jump on that shit.[/QUOTE]

OMG BEST IDEA EVER!!!! seriously....i am not joking

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Hoping for a Dance Central 3 bundle, then a deal on that bundle near the holidays.

That's still 20 mil of these out there. Who gives a shit where they came from, theoretically there are possibly 15-20 mil homes have one, accounting for the broken and homes with multiple. That's a lot of individual customers who have one.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, its just like the Wii. It sells a lot and everyone just has one or two games. In the case with the Kinect though, people usually only have Dance Central and barely ever touch their Kinect. I can see all the Kinect's collecting dust in an attic right now.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']That's still 20 mil of these out there. Who gives a shit where they came from, theoretically there are possibly 15-20 mil homes have one, accounting for the broken and homes with multiple. That's a lot of individual customers who have one.[/QUOTE]

Well this home doesn't have one and doesn't plan to get one not at $110 anyway and that seems to be the way most CAGs feel in this post. There would probably be way more sold if they'd drop it down to at least $75, half the original price and that still seems overpriced. For $110 I'd rather have a $50 two year warranty(on our 3rd console since launch) & another year of Gold or new games OR just save the $110(+tax) for the Wii U, Xbox 720 or something that isn't going to be old gen very soon.

8 million Kinects were sold in the first 2 months, and then in the next 10 months only 2 million more devices were sold. All I was saying my guess is a lot of the recent sells, namely the other 10 million are from bundles were the Kinect is basically $100 instead of the $150 original price. It's like MS saying "New 360 buyers go ahead and get the bundle with Kinect, it's cheaper. Individual Kinect buyers we don't care about you as much if you want one just pay more(We want to keep the bundle price were it's at, wink-wink)." That's why $110 is still a bad price IMO plus I have friends who own them and they never get used.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back