King of Fighters '98

akilshohen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (67%)
found from a leaked TGS list
102400-mai.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/king-of-fighters-98-hitting-xbox-live-arcade-102400.phtml
----
I can't wait, this was my first SNK game back on the dreamcast.

Hey, I wanted to post this, but couldn't find a source other than Kotaku! XD

ANYwho.... Please note that this is Ultimate Match. It's not just 98. It's got some redone graphics, additional characters, rebalanced, additional versions of other characters available (just as original 98 had special hidden versions of characters), and is pretty much SNK's ultimate homage to the greatest overall KoF before XII comes out.

For a List of Changes in Ultimate Match, over original 98, Click:
[quote name='"http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/935218/52814"']

ABOUT KOF'98UM

KOF'98 Ultimate Match is a 10th year anniversary edition of KOF'98, which is arguably one of the most popular, if not the most popular KOF version. Some changes to the game are:

- Balance tweaks all round to most characters to some degree. Some
characters get new moves, some have their attack animations and
properties changed.
- A new character select screen and new pre-fight portraits for the
returning and EX characters.
- A new custom mode on top of Advanced and Extra Mode known as
Ultimate Mode.
- Some changes to both Extra and Advanced modes.
- Kasumi Todoh, Eiji Kisaragi, Geese Howard, Wolgang Krauser and Mr. Big
join the cast of playable arcade characters. Riot of the Blood Iori and
Leona are available as sub-bosses, and Goenitz and Orochi return to round
out the final bosses cast. This means every playable character from
KOF'94 till '98 return in 98UM.
- EX versions of Blue Mary, Geese, King and Ryuji Yamazaki are added to
the cast. These are based somewhat off their Real Bout and Art of
Fighting versions.
- New special introductions for certain matchups, such as Terry versus
Geese.
- All stages from KOF 98 were redone in partial 3D.
- Some stages from previous KOF and RBFF games were re-added or
remade for 98UM, together with several new stages. The graphics are
not interlaced anymore.
- The theme music for the the returning characters have also been
re-added into the game. In the PS2 version, you can choose between
the original arcade tracks, or the new PS2-exclusive arranged tracks.
- The '98 Advanced Mode system that determined how stocks were
transferred is removed. Now all characters will always transfer stock to
their teammates. This goes for Extra and Ultimate modes too.[/quote]

Awesome! Wish they'd get around to putting Mark of the Wolves or Alpha 3 on Live as well - the current batch (what? three?) of 2D fighters available is pitiful.

I just want Samurai Showdown 2 to finally come out. I've been hankering to play it ever since I was forced to sell my MVS arcade machine.

So I'm guessing this will be $20 on XBLA considering the disc version was supposed to be released on the PS2 for $20.

I don't think it would be $20....they could move units at $10 if they promote it right. It's not like the game isn't finished.
*is still waiting on SS2*

[quote name='Techsticles']I just want Samurai Showdown 2 to finally come out. I've been hankering to play it ever since I was forced to sell my MVS arcade machine.[/quote]

vouch.

I really wish they'd bring loads more fighters in general. That's like...that IS the arcade vibe. It can't be that hard to bring em to Live can it? Well, I suppose all the online matchmaking being added is somewhat difficult (and hopefully they never choose to cut that out - saw that Alpha was on PSN but without online - what's the damn point?)

[quote name='Megaten']vouch.

I really wish they'd bring loads more fighters in general. That's like...that IS the arcade vibe. It can't be that hard to bring em to Live can it? Well, I suppose all the online matchmaking being added is somewhat difficult (and hopefully they never choose to cut that out - saw that Alpha was on PSN but without online - what's the damn point?)[/quote]

Yeah, if they'd give us the best games out of their various collections, at bargain-bin prices, like they did with Fatal Fury Special, I'd be rather happy with that.

Of course, I'd prefer remakes or even entirely new games. XBLA seems like the perfect delivery ground for someone to make a new 2D Fighter on. Or even 3D fighters with the quality of graphics and presentation of Soul Calibur. A new game that looked that good for 10 dollars would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shitty deal. There's supposed to be separated KOF collections (divided up by story arch) coming for the PSP and PS2 (PS3 too for those with BC systems). They were announced quite some time ago, set to maybe come out after the Samurai Showdown collection for both PS2 and PSP.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Shitty deal. There's supposed to be separated KOF collections (divided up by story arch) coming for the PSP and PS2 (PS3 too for those with BC systems). They were announced quite some time ago, set to maybe come out after the Samurai Showdown collection for both PS2 and PSP.[/QUOTE]

This isn't KOF 98, it's KOF 98 Ultimate Match, a remake with added characters and features.

[quote name='SAB-CA']Yeah, if they'd give us the best games out of their various collections, at bargain-bin prices, like they did with Fatal Fury Special, I'd be rather happy with that.

Of course, I'd prefer remakes or even entirely new games. XBLA seems like the perfect delivery ground for someone to make a new 2D Fighter on. Or even 2D fighters with the quality of graphics and presentation of Soul Calibur. A new game that looked that good for 10 dollars would be awesome.[/quote]

Yea, or maybe even bring recently released PS2 fighters out...I don't understand why they wouldn't try to make some online tweaks and put titles like NeoGeo Battle Colosseum or King of Fighters XI to Live for ~1200 points. I'd be more than happy to buy those titles for that much, and I mean...2D fighters on the aging PS2 with probably limited distro...those titles couldn't have possibly made them much on initial release.

[quote name='Megaten']Yea, or maybe even bring recently released PS2 fighters out...I don't understand why they wouldn't try to make some online tweaks and put titles like NeoGeo Battle Colosseum or King of Fighters XI to Live for ~1200 points. I'd be more than happy to buy those titles for that much, and I mean...2D fighters on the aging PS2 with probably limited distro...those titles couldn't have possibly made them much on initial release.[/quote]

It is pretty silly. I suppose Microsoft just doesn't think of their arcade that way... or maybe it's SNK, or their distributors faults... Wish I knew.

But if they bring out 98UM in a timely fashion... the fact they're announcing it could be a good sign. So we got Fatal Fury Special from the Battle Archives 1... Samurai Showdown II from the Samurai Showdown Anthology... I could live with Art of Fighting III, World Heroes Perfect, and Real Bout 2 or Special (Or Dominated Mind...)... Then Release KoF XI right before XII comes out, or even better, include it as a Pre-order free Download bonus with XII...

Really, with the growing of Arcade, it's time from our "classics" to leave the older Namco games, and 1 Street Fighter, and 1 Mortal Kombat, and get into the nitty-gritty, hardcore fighters that could revive their communities on 360! Along with the Special Controllers coming out around SFIV's time, It would all fit together nicely...

SNK will make more money from Live arcade then they will with the disc versions Im guessing. Fatal Fury didn't exactly bomb on XBLA either. 38,000 ish for a stand alone fatal fury. Did the compliations even sell that much by themselves?

Looks like worldwide XI for the PS2 managed over 100k+ as a "new" KOF game. I doubt a remixed 98 version is going to come even close to that.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Looks like worldwide XI for the PS2 managed over 100k+ as a "new" KOF game. I doubt a remixed 98 version is going to come even close to that.[/quote]

but you're comparin' the newest version to the best version; it probably could come close to it

[quote name='aniousjoe']but you're comparin' the newest version to the best version; it probably could come close to it[/QUOTE]

Not as long as it still has '98 in the title. That shit's ten years old - fuck that.

Or at least, that's probably what's going to make most people's buying decision regarding the game. Which is shameful.

Doubtful but you never know.

If this version is online then I'm sold on getting the XBLA one, regardless of price, over the PS2 disc copy which is supposed to retial for $19.99.

Online is everything, even if it means I get to see people spam the same moves over and over. fucking SC4 n00bs.

Well, as posted on Gamerscore Blog, and Nelson's Blog, it appears we're getting Samurai Showdown II this week!

It's rated Teen, will it still have all it's blood and gore? Does anyone know if the Wii release had it all? Guess we'll see come wednesday!

It's 400 Microsoft points, too.

I'd hope Samsho 2 has all the gore... hopefully it won't be like Metal Slug 3 where you don't get blood unless you set the language to Japanese or some ridiculous thing.

bread's done
Back