Kmart Gift Card deal is back (Again!) 12/19-12/24

Tirade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
12/19-12/24

Buy a $50 GC and get a $10 Card Free

Ad is already up on Kmart.com

http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/Default.aspx?action=entry&storeid=2422130&pretailerid=-99572
Bottom of the yellow & red ad says 12/19-12/22

Also, its in the current ad but listed for 12/23-12/24

Also, for the brave.. use the $50 GC deal to get some extra $

(This part stolen from SD)

"Here is the key with this promotion. I have done it and others have. You will probably get some resistance but you are allowed to do it.

1 - Buy a $50 GC OOP - receive $10 bonus card ----> $60 GC total
2 - Buy a $50 with 1st $50 - receive $10 bonus card -----> $70 GC total
3 - Buy a $50 with 2nd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $80 GC total
4 - Buy a $50 with 3rd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $90 GC total
5 - Buy a $50 with 4th $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $100 GC total
6 - Buy a $100 with 5th $50 and 5 $10 bonus cards - receive 2 $10 bonus card --> $120GC"

Also note you can buy gift cards for other stores with Kmart gift cards (such as Sears). - YMMV with that, but Ive done it w/o a problem.

[quote name='Tirade']

"Here is the key with this promotion. I have done it and others have. You will probably get some resistance but you are allowed to do it.

1 - Buy a $50 GC OOP - receive $10 bonus card ----> $60 GC total
2 - Buy a $50 with 1st $50 - receive $10 bonus card -----> $70 GC total
3 - Buy a $50 with 2nd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $80 GC total
4 - Buy a $50 with 3rd $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $90 GC total
5 - Buy a $50 with 4th $50 - receive $10 bonus card ----> $100 GC total
6 - Buy a $100 with 5th $50 and 5 $10 bonus cards - receive 2 $10 bonus card --> $120GC"
[/QUOTE]

I can't believe anyone will get away with doing this.

[quote name='Gotran']Why? It makes sense. . .

I'm doing that.[/quote]

Just because you're doing it doesn't mean it makes sense.

Can someone explain the difference between a cheap ass gamer and a cheap ass scammer?

Thanks OP! I need an excuse to pick up a second DS.

[quote name='LuisRM']Can someone explain the difference between a cheap ass gamer and a cheap ass scammer?

Thanks OP! I need an excuse to pick up a second DS.[/QUOTE]

For me a cheap ass gamer is someone who notices great deals and shares them with the rest of us or one who just reads the threads for cheap ass deals.

A scammer is someone who totally takes advantage of a great deal and ruins it for everyone else down the road...ie turning a $60 GC deal into a $120 ($70 "profit"). And we wonder why companies raise prices and or outsources US work overseas to cut costs, hire a majority of part time employees to save on paying insurance that would normally go to the full time positions, or why there are only two employees working in a big box store instead of ten to help the customers due to external shrink. THis is a major shame! I hope no one really does this.

THis reminds me of the one that people were scamming Kmart with the GC deal they had with donating money and getting gift cards.

Yeah, the people buying gift cards with gift cards are retarded. I was perfectly happy getting what was basically 20% off of my Olevia during Black Friday, which had a hot price to begin with.

i don't know sounds alright. I am pretty sure the corporate relazied this was going to happen, and allowed the deal to go through with it. If they wanted to stop it, they could have put a limit on it.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised with that was the intent of the deal: Housewife needs 5 gifts, and doesn't know what to buy, so she just buys like 5 different 50 dollar gift cards and keeps the extra 50 bucks for herself, or as smaller gifts.

how is one person doing that any different from 8 different people doing it once? Same loss and not everyone is going to do it.

a scam is a decietful swindle. I see no swindle, nor is there deciet involved. They are playing by the rules, and not lying, BSing, or using trickery to get these "deals".

[quote name='gareman']a scam is a decietful swindle. I see no swindle, nor is there deciet involved. They are playing by the rules, and not lying, BSing, or using trickery to get these "deals".[/QUOTE]
It doesn't matter. If people were to do it a lot then Kmart would never run this deal again. No store would if people were flipping 50 dollars into an infinite amount of money

I can see it from that prospective.......
People are going to do this. So my suggestion is to atleast take advantage of the "ethical" actions (buying just one) of this deal on the first day.

[quote name='gareman']i don't know sounds alright. I am pretty sure the corporate relazied this was going to happen, and allowed the deal to go through with it. If they wanted to stop it, they could have put a limit on it.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised with that was the intent of the deal: Housewife needs 5 gifts, and doesn't know what to buy, so she just buys like 5 different 50 dollar gift cards and keeps the extra 50 bucks for herself, or as smaller gifts.

how is one person doing that any different from 8 different people doing it once? Same loss and not everyone is going to do it.[/QUOTE]

You're not understanding.

Basically the "housewife" would spend $50 cash to get the first gift card and bonus $10 giftcard. Then use the $50 gifcard to purchase another $50 giftcard and another bonuse $10 giftcard. And she'd repeat the process over and over, never spending any money, but getting an additional $10 everytime

This actually sounds like just the deal I am looking for to get a new 360 elite. Not the scam but the legit buying gift cards deal. It should work out to about $45 off.

FWIW even if you can do the scam, I wouldn't, but you are not supposed to be able to buy GC's with GC's.

I don't know I'll probably just pick up like a hundred dollars worth.....get 20 bucks free and maybe get another 2 gift cards with the hundred for the extra 40. Not that bad. I'll do it at at 2 seperate stores.

[quote name='Eric78DX']
THis reminds me of the one that people were scamming Kmart with the GC deal they had with donating money and getting gift cards.[/quote]

How the hell was that scamming? It wasn't a loophole or anything. Kmart said to donate $10 and we'll give you a $20 giftcard. So doing exactly what the business offers is scamming now, or is there more to this story?

Kmart doesn't send circulars in mail here, do they have the ad with $5 coupon in stores? Or can we print out coupon on online circular?

I highly doubt you can buy a gift card with a gift card, so the only way youll get a lot of money out of this, is if you have a lot of money to begin with.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I highly doubt you can buy a gift card with a gift card, so the only way youll get a lot of money out of this, is if you have a lot of money to begin with.[/QUOTE]
People claimed to have done it on Slickdeals. I can't believe they didn't send out an email to managers giving them a refresher on common sense.

[quote name='bmachine']Just because you're doing it doesn't mean it makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that is the reason it makes sense.

I believe it does make sense, if you look into the deal.

Following up on that, I'm doing that. :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']People claimed to have done it on Slickdeals. [/quote]
So it must be true. :roll:

Hey guys, I tried doing a little research on the CAG forums about the older Kmart Gift card deal. I just have a couple questions.

1.) Can you buy the gift cards online?
2.) If yes, can you use them online?

I wouldn't even ask, but I'm in Japan, but get back to the U.S. on the 15th.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']People claimed to have done it on Slickdeals. I can't believe they didn't send out an email to managers giving them a refresher on common sense.[/quote]

What I can't believe is that Kmart was able to emerge from bankruptcy with business practices like this.

Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but tell me if this sounds nuts.

Check out this link to Kmart
If you look on the bottom right, there's two deals going on.

1. The $10 GC when you buy a $50 gift card. (7th-9th)
2. $25 MIR when you purchase a PS3, Xbox 360, or even a PS2. (9th-15th)

8 X $50 gift cards = $400 ---> Ends up being $480 ($80 free)

$480
-$400 (PS3 40GB) [EDIT: WTF? Do they carry the 40GB? They still are listing the 60GB online.]
-$35 (tax)
-------------------
$45 (left over)

That's basically a $355 PS3. BUT...THEN, if you get the $25 MIR that price, that's a $330 PS3.
Even if you don't count the credit you still have: $375 PS3, with enough left over ($45) to almost buy a brand new game or a controller(maybe wait on a DS3).

--OR--

7 X $50 GC = $420
$420
-$400
-$35
--------
$15

Get a PS3 for $365 total.

Considering games like UT3 and COD4 [EDIT: WTF? Does Kmart even carry these games? They don't online, and COD3 is still $59.99] may be more than $10 cheaper at other stores around Christmas time, barring another sale of some kind, the 7 gift cards might be the way to go. One risk, I suppose, is not finding a PS3 in stock. It says the 15th is the last day to get the $25 MIR, and there are no rain checks. Even the online store is currently out of stock.

Am I crazy for thinking any of this? Did I lose my way somewhere? I'm serious. Sounds like something must be wrong. :bouncy:

Your math is fine and your idea is legit.

People were doing this on the previous giftcard deal and had no problems whatsoever. The PS3 sale starts the 9th, the bonus gift cards can be used on the 10th. If I were you Id put a PS3 on layaway if you can until the 10th to be sure you get one.

Edit: They were doing this when the 20% off coupon worked too, so instead of a $25 rebate, it was another $80 off instantly. Your idea is about the best youll do on a PS3 between now and Christmas. Maybe you can get lucky and have Kmart PM WalMarts 1 day sale tomorrow and get a $50 GC instantly.

If it works, let me know.

[quote name='dinovelvet']I can't believe anyone will get away with doing this.[/quote]
yeah, apparently in america they let them get away with murder.

good for people who could do this. the cashiers must be really stupid

KMART wins with this GC deal so I don't see what the problem is, I'll be spend the store credit at KMART and that's good for them. I have a KMART and a Walmart right next to each other and the Walmart takes all the business, so instead of me buying it from Walmart I'll go to KMART where it cost a little more but I give them business because they gave me a good GC deal I can exploit or use smartly you decide:applause: . Thanks for the deal info..

I saw the $5 coupon in the circular this morning. It has the same "excludes Sears Home Electronics" disclaimer that the 20% pharmacy coupon last month had, so using it for games/systems may be YMMV.

[quote name='markyshizzle']i bought $500 bucks, got 100 dollar credit and sold the gc's on ebay for 470[/quote]

Now this idea, I can stand behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyshizzle
i bought $500 bucks, got 100 dollar credit and sold the gc's on ebay for 470

[quote name='LuisRM']Now this idea, I can stand behind.[/quote]
$30 to get $100 store credit?

Then, factor in the $3.60 to list the gift cards on eBay.

Then, factor in the 3% ($18.00) for Paypal fees.

Then, factor in at least $17.25 for eBay's Final Value Fee.

Then, factor in at least $5 to ship the gift cards with signature confirmation. (Otherwise, you'll lose in Paypal.)

So, $73.85 for the $100 store credit.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea.

EDIT: This assumes you can get 94 cents on the dollar for the gift cards. The auctions I saw were 83 and 87 cents each. YMMV.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Quote:
Originally Posted by markyshizzle
i bought $500 bucks, got 100 dollar credit and sold the gc's on ebay for 470

$30 to get $100 store credit?

Then, factor in the $3.60 to list the gift cards on eBay.

Then, factor in the 3% ($18.00) for Paypal fees.

Then, factor in at least $17.25 for eBay's Final Value Fee.

Then, factor in at least $5 to ship the gift cards with signature confirmation. (Otherwise, you'll lose in Paypal.)

So, $73.85 for the $100 store credit.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea.

EDIT: This assumes you can get 94 cents on the dollar for the gift cards. The auctions I saw were 83 and 87 cents each. YMMV.[/quote]

Your not looking at the BIG picture!

You still have $470 in paypal funds NOT Kmart Gift Cards!

[quote name='XxSmityxX']Your not looking at the BIG picture!

You still have $470 in paypal funds NOT Kmart Gift Cards![/quote]

Yes, you have $470 in paypal funds that you spent $500 to get.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Yes, you have $470 in paypal funds that you spent $500 to get.[/quote]

Yes but he also has 100 to Kmart in GCs

[quote name='paddlefoot']Am I missing something? Where is the B1G1 50% in the title?[/quote]

Its in the new sales flyer thats up on kmart.com for the 9th-15th

[quote name='Tirade']Its in the new sales flyer thats up on kmart.com for the 9th-15th[/quote]

You should take that out of the title since its not for video games. It's for LEGO's and Board Games.

[quote name='XxSmityxX']You should take that out of the title since its not for video games. It's for LEGO's and Board Games.[/quote]

It's on page 5 of the ad for 12/9-12/15. Six titles only, apparently.

[quote name='XxSmityxX']You should take that out of the title since its not for video games. It's for LEGO's and Board Games.[/quote]
Page 5 of the ad for the 9th - 15th has it for all video games.

Edit: it's really hard to read the fine print (at least for me), but it does look like it says "Titles Shown" at the end of the small print. Can't really make out the start of it.

Edit 2: Looks like all those listed are activision games, so I guess that is the connection.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Yes but he also has 100 to Kmart in GCs[/quote]

Ugh!

Let's take it from the top.

Person buys $500 in gift cards (with $500 in checking account) and receives another $100 in gift cards.

Person sells $500 in gift cards for $470 on eBay.

Net result before transaction expenses: -$30 (+$470 in Paypal account and -$500 in checking account) and $100 in Kmart gift cards.

Now, add in transaction expenses.

1. Ebay listing fee.

2. Paypal transaction fee (30 cents and 2.9% of the remainder)

3. Ebay final value fee (5.25% on the first $25, and 3.5% on the remaining $455)

4. Postage with enough safeguards that the person wins almost any Paypal dispute (Signature confirmation required for purchases over $200.)

Net result after transaction expenses: ~-$74 (+$470 in Paypal account, -$500 in checking account and ~-$44 in expenses to be absorbed by either checking account or Paypal account) and $100 in Kmart gift cards.

PLEASE point out my error.

I don't think the deal is bad. I was just filling in the missing information.

OK, got it

B1G1 50% on the following 360 games (whats listed anyway)

Call of Duty 4
Spiderman Friend or Foe
Spiderman 3
Bee Movie
Tony Hawk
Shrek the Third

$10 of EA Sports Titles (6 are 360, 3 are PSP)

bread's done
Back