Kmart OFFICIALLY PHASING OUT GAMES SECTION. 20% Off Games Accessories! Clearance DEALS INSIDE! Post your finds here!

Caffeinefree

CAGiversary!
EDIT - If you see any deals in your local Kmart post it in this thread. Spread the love. This post is no longer being curated so check the last post for YMMV local deals. 

20% OFF SALE ON NOW UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. (*Gwarr... Brains...*)

NOTICE

I am no longer affiliated with Kmart, so this isn't getting any future updates. Stay tuned to the latest post in the comment section. THANKS!

I looked into the plan for this fire-sale, and apparently they'll be rolling out clearance deals for the whole section. So 20% off, then 50%, or whatever comes to pass. Looks like different regions are getting different sales sooner than others, as well as higher volume stores getting different sales than lower ones. IF YOU HAVE INSIDE INFO, POST IN THIS THREAD SO CAGS IN YOUR AREA CAN GET A HEADS UP.

TIPS & TRICKS

• All deals are YMMV.
  • Kmart bases it's clearance on how long an item has been in stock. It takes a few weeks, but even the most expensive items go on clearance.
  • ALWAYS ASK SOMEONE TO SCAN AN ITEM FOR YOU. Most older games are on clearance, but have not been labeled as such.
  • Lookout for "penny items", items that have been on shelf for so long they've been clearanced down to 0.01. They won't sell for that, but it's a great way to get GTA IV for $2.00, for example.
  • TAKE A PICTURE AND PRICE MATCH.  For Walmart and other retailers, this is all they need to price match. Make sure the label is clearly visible and don't forget to post it here and share the love. 

Background Info
So I am an employee of Kmart and happened to see this memo pass through my local store. I can't repeat it verbatim, and I couldn't get a picture of the message due to being constantly on camera.

Basically the memo stated the "exit strategy" for the games section in retail stores. Stating that this was in essence brought on by having overstocked shelves (bwa hahaha) and not enough customers. However Kmart.com, Sears.com, and Shopyourwayrewards.com, would continue to sell games and consoles to meet peoples needs. So they're switching focus from retail to online.

The message continued to explain to sell down merch and fill the empty space with other merch. Eventually to clearance out the whole section if it didn't sell down.

So firstly, wait. Just wait and deals will come.

As a customer I have to say that Kmart has had nothing but crappy deals for the past few years. (On games) Focusing on SYWR points and mediocre sales to bring in customers rather than staying competitive with Amazon, Walmart, and pretty much any retailer that will actually give a deep discount. Therefore they have shot themselves in the foot and driven away most business. As a result of that they face what I call "the burger problem".

When Kmart doesn't get games in to sell, they can't sell them. But instead of getting more stock I guess they just say "X person doesn't want Y game". This is just like a survey of a small town saying no one in the town likes burgers, because no one eats burgers. Only to find out there is nowhere to eat burgers in the first place.

Why doesn't Kmart get games to sell? I don't know if Kmart as a whole does this, or just my store, but we don't get games on a truck. We get them in sporadically via UPS, and never before release date. We get limited quantities and then get restocks oddly. Over the holidays I got dozens of calls for titles we wouldn't get in for weeks. During Christmas we only got a handful of Xbox Ones and no PS4s, and since then only one Wii U and one 3DS XL, which may have been returns. In short they could be making money, but there is just some really bad policies in place that leave plenty of customers walking out the door. 

Then on top of that we barely make any money in markup. We buy games basically at cost, given only a few dollars. I've seen games we bought for 58.50 selling for $60. Same for all peripherals, a 20 charger may have costed 12 for us. I was really shocked about this when I first started looking into it. Whereas other sections of the store have a markup that's understandable. 

So now after all this poor management, they're getting rid of what has always been the best part of the electronics section - games. I remember there being something said about "better serving our customer's needs", the problem in the first place was that they didn't serve our needs. For the most part they were poorly stocked, AND THIS HAS KILLED THEM THE MOST.

YMMV DEALS -  Post below if you find a deal in your area! Post here if you find a deal in your area! 

:360: Xbox 360 DEALS  :360:

Select titles 20+% off

:xb1: Xbox One Deals  :xb1:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps3: PS3 DEALS  :ps3:

Select titles 20+% off

:ps4: PS4 DEALS  :ps4:

Select titles 20+% off

:vita: VITA DEALS  :vita:

Select titles 20+% off

:wiiu: Wii U / Wii DEALS  :wii:

20%off

:3ds: 3DS / DS DEALS  :ds:

3DS XL - @190 @ 20%off

[+..••] Accessories DEALS [+..••]

Afterglow Universal Headset - $30

:xb1: Xbox One Charge Kit - $20

Giotek EX-05 Universal Headset - $20

Thanks again. Remember to post your deals in the comment section.  :)

EDIT - KMART CLEARANCE 2.1 thread, added consoles, added tips, condensed backstory down into spoiler, erected a sofa, planted seeds for world domination. Just check the last post for local deals.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm jealous of what you guys found. Looked today and everything was marked UP to $1-3 from initial MSRP and Smash 3DS was something like $48.

There was a copy of New Luigi U for $24 though so I bought that since its OOP.

Went to the Kmart in Jesup Ga. No fuks were given in that department. Poor guy waited 30 minutes for help. 3DS case was decimated. Only DKC 3D and Tomodachi Life were left. A 2DS Marked up then discounted to MRSP, lol. I'm pretty much done with Kmart at this point.

20% off signs at the Las Vegas one I went to, a fairly full aisle of wii and DS garbage. A few Xbox one and ps4 games locked in glass at the register new ones marked $57 so not clearance other than the 20%. They did have You Don't Know Jack for the 360 for $9 before the 20% off and several copies of the Michael Phelps kinect game but nothing very interesting. Looked pretty cleaned out of the good stuff( if there ever was good stuff)

I went to the one in Madison Heights, MI yesterday.  20% off games and 15% off accessories.  Everything was marked down $1-3 from whatever prices they were before and all of the tags said they were 20% off the clearance price.  They had a few XBone games, but I don't remember seeing any PS4 games.  They still had a few 360 and PS3 games, and like everyione else has said more shovelware than I can count.

I was considering pulling the trigger on a few PSP games they had there since they were $4 plus 20% off, so $3.20 but I left them.  They also had Sunset Overdrive for $57 + 20% off and I was considering that since I have $15 or so in SYW points, but they had 3 copies so I'm going to wait a week or two to see if the percentages increase a bit.

I went to the one in Madison Heights, MI yesterday. 20% off games and 15% off accessories. Everything was marked down $1-3 from whatever prices they were before and all of the tags said they were 20% off the clearance price. They had a few XBone games, but I don't remember seeing any PS4 games. They still had a few 360 and PS3 games, and like everyione else has said more shovelware than I can count.

I was considering pulling the trigger on a few PSP games they had there since they were $4 plus 20% off, so $3.20 but I left them. They also had Sunset Overdrive for $57 + 20% off and I was considering that since I have $15 or so in SYW points, but they had 3 copies so I'm going to wait a week or two to see if the percentages increase a bit.
I thought they closed that store on 12 mile awhile back,i have not been in that area in a long time though.How was the skylander pegs at the madison hgts store?

I thought they closed that store on 12 mile awhile back,i have not been in that area in a long time though.How was the skylander pegs at the madison hgts store?
That's because they did and I meant the Sterling Heights store on 18 mile O:) They had a few Skylanders single packs left. I'm not sure what the price was exactly, but the Disney Infinity single packs were $7. I have to imagine the Skylanders would be about the same price.

That's because they did and I meant the Sterling Heights store on 18 mile O:) They had a few Skylanders single packs left. I'm not sure what the price was exactly, but the Disney Infinity single packs were $7. I have to imagine the Skylanders would be about the same price.
I used to know the manager of the gaming department of that store when I lived out in that area. Back when SHC_Josh was around I remember grabbing some pretty good deals from that store. I will miss it.

I didn't scan anything, but most things seem to be marked 5% off at my Kmart. PS4 for $380, Xbox One with Kinect $475, Dualshock 4 $57, 2DS $125, Vita $190, various games (Mario Wii U, Luigi U, Destiny) $57. Dumpbin games $1 off. Lots of stuff I've seen cheaper on sale at Kmart. Glass cases were gone and replaced with chips and popcorn.

Is there any interval that they are marking things down?

Mine has one case of games left and that's it. I've got my eye one the one Wii mini they have.

I went to the Belleville, MI Kmart. They had one super small section of some 3DS games with what looked like high prices still.

I honestly didn't know Kmarts were still around till I saw this thread. Then I happen to be a hour away from home in Belleville and figured I would look when I saw a Kmart. It was actually really sad walking around in that store. Made me go people actually shop here? I remembered Kmart from about 15-20 years ago when I was a kid and they were in every town they were really nice back then.

In all honesty, this is a very smart move, one that should have been done a LONG time ago. Sears should follow suit. If your not going to take the market seriously then you have no business selling games. Can't tell you how many times I stopped into the games section at my local K-mart, since I was already there buying something else, only to see $59.99 price tags on games that were already $19.99 to $29.99 at Best Buy or Amazon. The entire section was just a total joke, and an insult to anyone that's a smart shopper. 

Bought Tearaway for $7 .... seemed decent, probably last time I'll ever set foot in a K-mart ... thank god
Also grabbed Tearaway for around $7. Also had L.A. Noire (PS3) for $3.99. They also took an additional 20% off those prices.

Other than those the majority of everything else had went up from what I remember.

In all honesty, this is a very smart move, one that should have been done a LONG time ago. Sears should follow suit.
They did. Last week I stopped at a Sears that did well for me and anything gaming was gone. Vaccuum cleaners are now in the game section. Also, stopped at my nearest KMart and accessories were 15% off and games were 20% off. Accessories were picked over already and mostly DS games left, but did see 5 copies of Sunset Overdrive.

They did. Last week I stopped at a Sears that did well for me and anything gaming was gone. Vaccuum cleaners are now in the game section. Also, stopped at my nearest KMart and accessories were 15% off and games were 20% off. Accessories were picked over already and mostly DS games left, but did see 5 copies of Sunset Overdrive for MSRP.
Lol...ya...Sears did this like a few years ago except for still carrying a couple of new releases (which they seem to have also phased out since then...gaming sections appear to be completely gone now).

My local Kmart has 3 of the wii u 32gig nintendoland bundle for $240 is that a good price?? Is it worth it at that price?

My local Kmart has 3 of the wii u 32gig nintendoland bundle for $240 is that a good price?? Is it worth it at that price?
Considering the Wii U has rarely gone on sale I would say yes. Just out of curiosity what state is the store you're referencing in?

18 and Garfield? I went there once and it was like pulling teeth trying to get someone to help me. I also felt like I needed a shower when I got home. Never went back.

Checked out a pair of KMarts and it looks like a liquidation company has come in to close a store in the gaming section.  Everything marked up to the max price (often higher than MSRP) then a couple of dollars knocked off?????   Wow, gonna take a while to get rid of a lot of that stuff.  I guess the pink 3DS XL I saw tagged at $120 at another location has been marked back up as well.

Well, I guess I wasn't the only one that found Super Smash Bros. for 3DS marked up above the retail price to $43.99.  Thinking it was a mistake, I had an employee scan, but it actually rang up at $43.99.  Great deal, Kmart!  

I will admit though, even though I knew Kmart would eventually get rid of games (before inevitably dying off altogether), I enjoyed finding old, rare games there.  If they weren't deeply clearanced, I could usually figure out a way to get them cheaply with SYWR promos.

Hmm I can't really remember the last time I saw Kmart by NYC? Anyone know if it's worth the trip?

Hmm I can't really remember the last time I saw Kmart by NYC? Anyone know if it's worth the trip?
Not at this point. Most likely anything worth getting at a few dollars off is already gone and the rest is sitting there at $3 below MSRP.

Not at this point. Most likely anything worth getting at a few dollars off is already gone and the rest is sitting there at $3 below MSRP.
how oddly appropriate that even when Kmart's trying to get rid of this stuff at "everything must go" prices, its even worse than stuff usually was at regular price. :/

For those near Philly...

Feasterville, PA had 1 250GB blue PS3 for $150 left (I bought 1).  The rest of the games were regular price, no 20% off (didn't have much good anyway)

Willow Grove, PA and Doylestown, PA Kmarts had decent selection of PS3/360 games but no really good prices. Best I saw were Mario 3D Land for 3DS and Mario & Luigi Dream Team for $24 (Willow Grove).  Doylestown had 20% off signs for every game/15% for accessories.  WG only advertised 15% off some accessories.

18 and Garfield? I went there once and it was like pulling teeth trying to get someone to help me. I also felt like I needed a shower when I got home. Never went back.
18 Mile and Dequindre actually. I'm pretty sure the service at all K-Marts are equally terrible so this one didn't stand out to me as being particularly bad.

eh I'll wait till it's 90 percent like last year at Big Lots. I still can't believe I was able to grab all of those games below for 90% off. Looks like not many CAGers in my neighborhood.

2bTPCMw.jpg

bread's done
Back