Official Representative
I am very easy to reach on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/KmartGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views
Kmartgamer 5.0 = 7,344 replies/517,314 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Rewards member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

September 18th through the 24th:
link to blog post

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3, get a $20 gaming coupon.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.
Coupon valid from September 25 to November 5.

:360::ps3: Shadows of the Damned $29.99

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

September 18th through the 24th:

:360: Buy the limited edition Gears of War 320GB Xbox 360 system for $399.99, get Gears of War Triple Pack for free.

:360: Buy any version of Gears of War 3 and a 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription card, get $30 off the price of the 12-month Gold card.
Deal will work with Limited and Epic Editions.

:360: Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 headset $44.99

:360: Halo ODST $9.99

:360::ps3: Brink $19.99

:360: Halo Reach $29.99

Shop Your Way Rewards:

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a SYWR offer. These offers can be very targeted (Geo, User, etc.) so anything placed needs to be validated.

Coming Soon:

All titles listed below I am working on offers for and the dates I think they are coming out.

9-20 :360: Gears of War 3 $20 Gaming coupon + Buy game & 12-month Gold card, get $30 off 12-month Gold card.
9-27 :360::ps3: X-Men Destiny $15 Gaming coupon
9-27 :360::ps3: FIFA Soccer 12 $20 Gaming coupon
9-27 :ps3: Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection $15 Gaming coupon
10-4 :360::ps3: Spiderman: Edge of Time
10-4 :360::ps3: Rage
10-4 :360::ps3: Dark Souls
10-4 :360::ps3: NBA 2k12
10-11 :360::ps3: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
10-11 :360: Forza 4
10-11 :360::ps3: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
10-11 :wii::360::ps3: Just Dance 3
10-11 :360::ps3: RockSmith
10-16 :wii::360: Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
10-17 :ds: Professor Layton and the Last Specter
10-18 :ps3: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
10-18 :360::ps3: Batman Arkham City
10-24 :3ds: Pokemon Rumble Blast
10-25 :wii::360::ps3: Disney Universe
10-25 :360::ps3: Battlefield 3
10-25 :360::ps3: Silent Hill Downpour
10-25 :360: Dance Central 2
10-25 :360: Kinect Sports 2
11-1 :360::ps3: James Bond: Goldeneye 007 Reloaded
11-1 :360::ps3: Sonic Generations
11-1 :ps3: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
11-1 :360::ps3: Lord of the Rings: War in the North
11-8 :360::ps3: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
11-8 :360::ps3: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
11-11 :360::ps3: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
11-13 :3ds: Super Mario 3D Land
11-15 :360::ps3: Need for Speed: The Run
11-15 :ps3: Silent Hill HD Collection
11-15 :360: Halo Anniversary
11-15 :wii: Mario and Sonic London 2012
11-15 :3ds: Shinobi
11-15 :360::ps3: Saint's Row: The Third
11-15 :360::ps3: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
11-15 :360::ps3: Rayman Origins
11-20 :wii: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
11-22 :ps3: Tekken Hybrid
11-22 :360::ps3: WWE 12
12-11 :3ds: Mario Kart 7
2012 TBA :3ds: Kid Icarus

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nietzsche74']Who the fuck is "Catherine"???????[/QUOTE]

A sex filled puzzle small release title that is lucky to be ported over; hence even more reason why Kmart decided not to take it.

[quote name='BILLYGOLDEN78']Can anyone confirm that LA Noire is $34.99 this week?

I ask because it says $59.99 on their website and this post says that this particular deal took place last week. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]
Last week's sale. Sorry you missed out. Target though is selling it for 37.99 this week so you can head there for similiar results.

[quote name='BILLYGOLDEN78']Can anyone confirm that LA Noire is $34.99 this week?

I ask because it says $59.99 on their website and this post says that this particular deal took place last week. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]
I believe it's gone back up to $59.99. The sale was for one week only, and it ended yesterday.

[quote name='Marauder7']Kmart decided not to carry any it per a previous post from Josh that's buried somewhere in the forum. Same goes with Thor, and Green Lantern.[/QUOTE]
Was that per Josh? I know via email I discussed with Stockboy that Thor (and I mentioned it in the forum - during a previous discussion about catherine.. fucking game won't go away) and GL weren't carried, but I hadn't seen an official mention of Captain America.

I want to say just one word - just one word. Are you listening? "Katamari". Think about it. Will you think about it?

Anyone remember back when the first Katamari came out in the states? Practically every retailer considered it a niche Japanese title and none of them took a chance on stocking it except for GameStop. And what happened? It sold out nationwide within a couple days. You couldn't find a copy anywhere. GameStop made out big on this title because it was the only place you could get it for quite a while.

Now, will Catherine be another Katamari? I honestly couldn't say. I don't know anything about Catherine other than watching the very confusing trailer. I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, and I've never played a Persona or SMT game.

But a game being "too niche" really is a ridiculous reason to not stock a game at all. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Last thing I want to see is GameStop making out big again because they're the only retailer willing to take chances.

i think we've left the topic, lol, but KMart can't take chances like that simply due to the amount of old games they still have left. idk about otehr people's kmarts, but the kmart i frequent has an entire shelf filled with games, 3 rows back (new games get like 3 shelves too so thats... like half) and then two of those shelves they put out for the old clearance games

so no deals for this week i guess

I think that has less to do with taking chances on titles and more to do with the fact that K-Mart is not exactly famous for being a gaming store. Sure, us CAGs know about the deals, and friends of CAGs know about them because we told them. But generic mom and dad who are shopping for a game for their kids have no clue about buying video games -- that's why GameStop gets so much business. Really, when was the last time you saw a commercial on television talking about coming into K-Mart for video games? Or a even a commercial for K-Mart in general?

My K-Marts has shelves filled with more games than they can comfortably fit and then a little section in one of the aisles for clearance games. Funny thing is, most of the overstocks you see are big name titles like Call of Duty, Halo or Assassin's Creed.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard. Big game developer says something like, "Our games are so popular, you can't walk into a store without seeing 37 copies lining the shelves."

Really? You'd think if they'd be that popular, they wouldn't be sitting on a store shelf -- they'd be in someone's game system at their home.

While it's disappointing SotD sold so poorly, I hope Josh can have it on sale for $29.99 before my OoT 3D coupon expires (paying $15 for SotD would be exactly what I've been waiting for), though I suspect $39.99 will be the more likely sale price.

Thanks for all of the great deals last week, this week, and next week so I can use the coupons I have.....NOT. If I don't want NCAA Football, the deals have been bad, very bad.

[quote name='harveyiscool']Thanks for all of the great deals last week, this week, and next week so I can use the coupons I have.....NOT. If I don't want NCAA Football, the deals have been bad, very bad.[/QUOTE]

don't complain, josh has given great deals all year. i have coupons too but i'm not complainin. be grateful for u already got

does anyone know if the xbl and psn cards still work wit the coupons? last i heard there were issues wit using them. i might pick one up depending on my kmarts selection. actually... there's a kmart downtown that has an amazing clearance selection... hmm... interesting

Yea, shit deals this week.
I was just in kmart and it was Apache for $19.99. Had a new sale sign and everything.
Why this weeks sale wouldn't be on here is beyond me...

[quote name='harveyiscool']Thanks for all of the great deals last week, this week, and next week so I can use the coupons I have.....NOT. If I don't want NCAA Football, the deals have been bad, very bad.[/QUOTE]
It sucks but thats the risk you take getting in on coupon deals. You're assuming there will be something worth spending them on in the next 40 or so days. Just get a PSN card if that'd work for you or an older game.

[quote name='SPVietBoy']don't complain, josh has given great deals all year. i have coupons too but i'm not complainin. be grateful for u already got

does anyone know if the xbl and psn cards still work wit the coupons? last i heard there were issues wit using them. i might pick one up depending on my kmarts selection. actually... there's a kmart downtown that has an amazing clearance selection... hmm... interesting[/QUOTE]

Just bought a Xbox points card and my coupon worked fine on it

[quote name='OnettHero']Yea, shit deals this week.
I was just in kmart and it was Apache for $19.99.
Why this weeks sale wouldn't be onhere is beyond me...[/QUOTE]

Not a total waste. That's a game I've actually wanted to price-drop. I would like confirmation though as KMART for requires a special out of the way trip. Since it's not in the ad is there somewhere else where this price is "official" where I can reference it?

Obviously there are not many big games being releaesd right now (it's so slow it's almost at a 1 a week pace, and the coupons have been the relatively standard $10 or $15 or $20). So deals on new releases are constrained. It would be nice to see some random "recent releases" go on sale though - especially games that it's time to get to a $19.99 price point (like this Apache: Air Assault deal), or see some clearance games finally get slashed to $9.99

[quote name='spree4567']Just bought a Xbox points card and my coupon worked fine on it[/QUOTE]

i assume u got a 19.99 wit a 15 coupon? hopefully my 20 will work on a 20 psn. thats teh one i kept hearing issues about the most but maybe they've fixed it :) thanks

I do not know why everyone is complaining about "crappy deals this week, last week, and next week." Josh busts his hump to give us great deals quite often. Look at the release schedule, there really isnt anything blockbuster being released until September and its pretty much non-stop through Xmas. I would rather have great deals during that time period and I am sure he is also focusing on that as well. The problem is that people are generally greedy in nature and have been spoiled by a sweet coupon train due to good spring games. Now that the industry is at a low gearing up for the holiday period, everyone is crying because thier coupon train is coming to an end and doesnt want to pay full price on a game anymore. What did you all gamers do before the coupon train? Stop the B i t c h i n and appreciate the hard work Josh puts in so we can enjoy the coupon train for the holidays.

[quote name='SPVietBoy']don't complain, josh has given great deals all year. i have coupons too but i'm not complainin. be grateful for u already got

does anyone know if the xbl and psn cards still work wit the coupons? last i heard there were issues wit using them. i might pick one up depending on my kmarts selection. actually... there's a kmart downtown that has an amazing clearance selection... hmm... interesting[/QUOTE]

I'd like to the know the answer to this one myself. I tried to buy a $20 PSN card recently with a $15 coupon that's still valid until August 6th and it didn't work. I've used coupons on PSN cards plenty of times in the past but the register gave an error and the cashier said it didn't work for a prior customer either when he tried to buy a card with a coupon few days before.

[quote name='ShockandAww']It sucks but thats the risk you take getting in on coupon deals. You're assuming there will be something worth spending them on in the next 40 or so days. Just get a PSN card if that'd work for you or an older game.[/QUOTE]
So I guess Amazon's still the better place to shop. They stock "niche" titles and I can put my credit towards the purchase of future games and, as of late, other items sold by them, not just video games.

I do hope some good deals come up before my Ocarina coupon expires as well. I'd hate for it to go to waste. I think a lot less people would complain if the coupons expiration was the same as returns. In other words, I have 90 days to return my item at K-Mart, my coupon shouldn't expire before that either. It would make a lot more sense than the arbitrary 40 days on there now.

[quote name='Kain']But a game being "too niche" really is a ridiculous reason to not stock a game at all.[/QUOTE]

Haha, wow, you're an idiot.

People still do that "joke?" Buy an older game or a points card and stop whining like a bitch.

[quote name='Kain']
But a game being "too niche" really is a ridiculous reason to not stock a game at all. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Last thing I want to see is GameStop making out big again because they're the only retailer willing to take chances.[/QUOTE]

I hope you didn't apply for Josh's assistant buyer job.

If a big title with more "hype" like Castlevania has been sitting dormant on their shelves for so long, how do you think Catherine will fare? Sure, it could be a sleeper hit like Katamari, but that's the thing with sleeper hits - you can't predict them, otherwise they wouldn't be sleepers.

Catherine is a game I'm interested in, but you go to a random gamestop and ask 10 random people who walk in the door and see how many people can tell you anything about it.

If you run a 10 store chain or you have the #1 positioning of Gamestop, then, yes, you can afford to take a chance on Catherine being a sleeper hit. But when you're buying for 1500 (?) stores, why would you waste the time in ordering Catherine, and all the work that goes into stocking it, and taking the risk it doesn't sell?

[quote name='confoosious']I hope you didn't apply for Josh's assistant buyer job.[/QUOTE]
Go back to the private sector? Nah, I don't think so.

If a big title with more "hype" like Castlevania has been sitting dormant on their shelves for so long, how do you think Catherine will fare? Sure, it could be a sleeper hit like Katamari, but that's the thing with sleeper hits - you can't predict them, otherwise they wouldn't be sleepers.

Catherine is a game I'm interested in, but you go to a random gamestop and ask 10 random people who walk in the door and see how many people can tell you anything about it.
That can apply to any game, though. Not all gamers sit around reading gaming sites or magazines or any of that stuff. In most cases, the GameStop employees themselves don't have a freakin' clue about the games they sell.

If you run a 10 store chain or you have the #1 positioning of Gamestop, then, yes, you can afford to take a chance on Catherine being a sleeper hit. But when you're buying for 1500 (?) stores, why would you waste the time in ordering Catherine, and all the work that goes into stocking it, and taking the risk it doesn't sell?
Risks are taken with every title ordered. Whether they be popular or niche. Let's say K-Mart orders 30 copies of Call of Duty per store and five copies of Catherine. If they only sell 10 copies of Call of Duty and three copies of Catherine, then it was the risk of ordering Catherine that was successful and the risk of ordering so many copies of CoD that was a failure. Even if no copies of Catherine sold, having five unsold copies sitting on your shelf is not as much of a loss as having 20 unsold copies of CoD on the shelf.

[quote name='Kain']Tell that to the 20 copies of CoD sitting on the shelf at my K-Mart. ;)[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm gonna just point to gettingmoney's post now

As was discussed earlier with EA's football games, taking those 20 copies of COD, even if they collect dust, could prove to be fruitful for the relationship between Acti/K-Mart. Atlus is a small company, Acti is huge.

[quote name='confoosious']I guess I'm gonna just point to gettingmoney's post now[/QUOTE]

I'm not being an idiot; quite the opposite. I'm simply looking between the lines. You never get anywhere by playing things safely, especially in business. You need to take risks.

And let's face it, Josh and Co. have taken plenty of risks in the past. Shadow of the Damned, Bulletstorm, Enslaved... These were all brand new IPs and all titles that were taken risks on. There were not only carried in store but they even came with coupons.

I assume you're too young to remember when E.T. came out for the Atari 2600. Well, the movie was a really big hit, and shops assumed that the game would be too. So many shops bought as many copies of E.T. as they could handle. But you know what happened? The game sucked. Nobody bought them. Rumor has it they were all returned to the developer and dumped in a landfill somewhere.

So what happened? The stores were trying to play it safe: they thought that it would sell in droves because the movie was so popular; so they overbought E.T. and lost out. And just like E.T., all those dozens of unsold copies of "popular" games like CoD, Halo, and others are a bigger loss at the end of the day than a couple unsold copies of a new IP that nobody's ever heard of.

Kain, you don't get it, clearly you don't.
I don't really know how to be any clearer than others have been.

People aren't just pulling numbers out of a damn hat. Catherine will not sell that well, it just won't. I'm buying it, but I'm an atlus fanboy. A large order of Catherines could likely sit their forever.
Call of duty games maintain a demand and a high price point for a very long time, there's really no risk in bringing in truckloads of them. Catherine carries a huge risk of dead on the shelves.

There's taking risks and then there's being stupid. Catherine is a genre that's proven not to sell in america. Sure theres been a few surprises along the way but mosty this type of game won't find an audience over here. There's not a lot of upside for kmart to stock this game so they can sell a few copies here and there. With your logic kmart should buy thousands of copies of every game just in case it ends up being a sleeper hit.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']People still do that "joke?"[/QUOTE]
Sarcasm's hard to get across on here, so I'm under the assumption that he was just trying to clarify his position.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Buy an older game[/QUOTE]
There's a lack of selection at my store for "older games" and, in addition to that, there aren't any deals for these so called "older games" anyway.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']or a points card[/QUOTE]
What a great suggestion!
Not!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']and stop whining like a bitch.[/QUOTE]
He has every right to be upset. He's sitting on coupons that are more-or-less worthless at this point. As a fellow consumer you should be concerned too.

[quote name='joshrocker']There's taking risks and then there's being stupid. Catherine is a genre that's proven not to sell in america. Sure theres been a few surprises along the way but mosty this type of game won't find an audience over here. There's not a lot of upside for kmart to stock this game so they can sell a few copies here and there. With your logic kmart should buy thousands of copies of every game just in case it ends up being a sleeper hit.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the genre isn't exactly the type of game that's been proved to sell in America. But neither was Final Fantasy until Nintendo brought it over.

What I am saying, is that every store, K-Mart included, should atleast stock a copy of every game just incase it might sell. Should they dump all their money into a possibility of a sleeper hit? Hell no. But stick two or three copies on the shelf just to test the water. Even if there's not a lot of upside for stocking a game that may not sell, there's not a lot of downside either. If they don't move, then they don't move; there's no difference between two or three copies of Catherine sitting on the shelf compared to two or three copies of of CoD. I mean, how can anyone expect the game to sell if nobody will put it on their shelves? I'm reminded of that conversation from Airheads:

Rex: Man, you got hot CDs here and I never hear them. Why don't you ever play these guys?
Milo: If they're so hot, how come they're not tearing up the charts, babe?
Rex: 'Cos you never play 'em, babe. You suck.

[quote name='Kain']Reminds me of a joke I once heard. Big game developer says something like, "Our games are so popular, you can't walk into a store without seeing 37 copies lining the shelves."

Really? You'd think if they'd be that popular, they wouldn't be sitting on a store shelf -- they'd be in someone's game system at their home.[/QUOTE]

Did someone really tell you that and present it as a joke? You have every right to assault somebody who wastes your time with something that retarded.

[quote name='cheesebu']Did someone really tell you that and present it as a joke? You have every right to assault somebody who wastes your time with something that retarded.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the game developer was being completely serious. He truly believed that having his title lining game shelves showed how immensely popular it was. If only I could remember which company and game it was, then I'd look up the article I read it in. :S

[quote name='ShockandAww']It sucks but thats the risk you take getting in on coupon deals. You're assuming there will be something worth spending them on in the next 40 or so days. Just get a PSN card if that'd work for you or an older game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Sarcasm's hard to get across on here, so I'm under the assumption that he was just trying to clarify his position.

There's a lack of selection at my store for "older games" and, in addition to that, there aren't any deals for these so called "older games" anyway.

What a great suggestion!
Not!

He has every right to be upset. He's sitting on coupons that are more-or-less worthless at this point. As a fellow consumer you should be concerned too.[/QUOTE]

There is just no reason for me to respond to him. You are completely right, no one would understand my sarcasm without doing that. Your other point is on the money too, but no reason to add more fuel to the fire with additional comments at this time. Obviously I know I can use the coupons on PSN cards, and I'm going to end up buying numerous PSN ones with the coupons. I wish some of these people could just snap into the reality of how bad/embarrassing it has been recently.

[quote name='Kain']I agree that the genre isn't exactly the type of game that's been proved to sell in America. But neither was Final Fantasy until Nintendo brought it over.

What I am saying, is that every store, K-Mart included, should atleast stock a copy of every game just incase it might sell. Should they dump all their money into a possibility of a sleeper hit? Hell no. But stick two or three copies on the shelf just to test the water. Even if there's not a lot of upside for stocking a game that may not sell, there's not a lot of downside either. If they don't move, then they don't move; there's no difference between two or three copies of Catherine sitting on the shelf compared to two or three copies of of CoD. I mean, how can anyone expect the game to sell if nobody will put it on their shelves? I'm reminded of that conversation from Airheads:

Rex: Man, you got hot CDs here and I never hear them. Why don't you ever play these guys?
Milo: If they're so hot, how come they're not tearing up the charts, babe?
Rex: 'Cos you never play 'em, babe. You suck.[/QUOTE]
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[quote name='Bruce LeeRoy']What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Now that was a good response. Gotta respect someone who'll quote Billy Madison.

Oh, I can just see the newspaper headlines for next week now:

Headline: "Thousands dead in Nationwide KMart Massacre"
Sub-headline: "Lack of selling Catherine video game blamed for killings"

Seriously, I don't really get such a long, intense discussion on this subject. Josh said quite some time ago KMart wasn't carrying the game. If you want to pick it up, go to a retailer that's selling it.

[quote name='seanr1221']Kain, you make little to no sense.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I give up. I'm tired of trying to explain this over and over. The point I was trying to make is that stores need to take more of a risk on niche titles.

K-Mart wants to play it safe and stock only the IPs that are guaranteed to sell. So when Modern Warfare 3 comes out, you can go and buy it at K-Mart, Walmart, GameStop, BestBuy, Target and every other gaming store under the sun. So which store is going to get the business? The answer? Unless you're a CAG who knows of a special sale or coupon, the answer is probably going to be "whichever store is closest."

But let's say GameStop decides to sell Catherine, or Disgaea 4, or any other niche title, and no other store sells it because it's not a "guaranteed sell." Then which store is going to get all the business if it happens to be a sleeper hit? The answer? The only place that bothers to stock it: GameStop.

There's no harm in stocking at least a couple copies of a niche title just to see if it will sell. If it doesn't, the worst that can happen is that it sits there with the leftover copies of "big name title" that also didn't sell because the store overestimated how many copies to stock. If it does sell well, then you move a lot of copies because you're one of the few places that even bothered to give it a shot (for example, Katamari.)

And why am I explaining this all over again? *sighs* It's late, work in the morning. I'm done.

[quote name='Kain']Okay, I give up. I'm tired of trying to explain this over and over. The point I was trying to make is that stores need to take more of a risk on niche titles.

K-Mart wants to play it safe and stock only the IPs that are guaranteed to sell. So when Modern Warfare 3 comes out, you can go and buy it at K-Mart, Walmart, GameStop, BestBuy, Target and every other gaming store under the sun. So which store is going to get the business? The answer? Unless you're a CAG who knows of a special sale or coupon, the answer is probably going to be "whichever store is closest."

But let's say GameStop decides to sell Catherine, or Disgaea 4, or any other niche title, and no other store sells it because it's not a "guaranteed sell." Then which store is going to get all the business if it happens to be a sleeper hit? The answer? The only place that bothers to stock it: GameStop.

There's no harm in stocking at least a couple copies of a niche title just to see if it will sell. If it doesn't, the worst that can happen is that it sits there with the leftover copies of "big name title" that also didn't sell because the store overestimated how many copies to stock. If it does sell well, then you move a lot of copies because you're one of the few places that even bothered to give it a shot (for example, Katamari.)

And why am I explaining this all over again? *sighs* It's late, work in the morning. I'm done.[/QUOTE]

You're taking a beating here but I'm going to mostly agree with you. But only because they carried the Yakuza games and I see them being somewhat comparable on the "niche" scale. Now of course that could have been a disaster and that's why they won't touch Catherine. But unless there is some outrageous minimum order requirement or it's a logistical nightmare, I don't see the risk in bringing in 1-2 copies per platform per store.

[quote name='beene1000']Oh, I can just see the newspaper headlines for next week now:

Headline: "Thousands dead in Nationwide KMart Massacre"
Sub-headline: "Lack of selling Catherine video game blamed for killings"

Seriously, I don't really get such a long, intense discussion on this subject. Josh said quite some time ago KMart wasn't carrying the game. If you want to pick it up, go to a retailer that's selling it.[/QUOTE]

No kidding right. Walked in to the thread to see if there are any deals this week and read the discussion on a the topic of deals and catherine.

Hoping for shadow of the damned deal soon. That would be nice. I was thinking about buying catherine, but will probably wait because I can't pay full meal deal on this baby. I always loath this time of year with lack of releases. I am a sad panda.

nobody cared about shadows of the damned and even fewer people are going to care about catherine.

We went from fighting about Sears being mentioned to specs for a PC then how Shadows of the Damned bombed and now were fighting about some game name Cathrine. Hell yeah Kmart OT.

This may all be irrelevant in a couple months when the preorder systems is in place. That should help with games like Catherine. Also I work at a low volume store and we got 50+ copies of Black Ops and they were sold out by the end of the week, after that we've never had more than maybe 5 or 6 and they always sell well, so I would say COD is as safe a bet as you can make.

I mean honestly if you couldn't get NA to care about a game made by the Resident Evil 4 guy which basically plays like Resident Evil 4, what chance is there for an anime puzzle game with a romantic storyline?

I understand the need to push "unique" software and such but get real, catherine defenders. Separate your own personal interest from the financial aspect.

[quote name='confoosious']I guess I'm gonna just point to gettingmoney's post now[/QUOTE]

It's why I didn't bother offering any argument besides what I said because I knew where it was going to go.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']It's why I didn't bother offering any argument besides what I said because I knew where it was going to go.[/QUOTE]

It was just so useless trying to explain why his argument made no sense.

Kain) Why can't they just take a risk? It's only a few copies per store.
Me) No, you don't take a risk because of x, y, and z
Kain) I think they should take the risk. Cause even CoD has 20 copies on my local shelf.

WTF. I'm sure your anecdotal evidence of CoD languishing on your local shelf really changes the equation of CoD (any low risk title) vs Catherine (any high risk title).

-----

I'm gonna try one more time because I think some really shortsighted, self centered thinking goes on in this thread when people bitch about titles being on sale, not being on sale -- they always think of each title in a vacuum. ("I don't understand...huh huh huh... why can't Title X also get a $20 coupon like Title Y? They're both $60 games..." ) And that simply isn't the case. Big publishers pushing big games have the weight of all their other big games behind their push.

Everything revolves around money and how much the marketing push is. There's also a finite amount of resources in any department.

This isn't simply a case of "well, I could just throw up a few copies on my ebay account." Every single title takes resources. Buying 3000 copies doesn't take 1/10th the effort / overhead as 30,000 copies of a game.

It's almost just a very fundamental exercise in management decision systems: do you spent x resources on something that in all probability will yield y or do you spend x resources on something that in all probability will yield 1/2 of y?

It might not be a logistical nightmare, but it certainly requires work: marketing, operations, field. Making a trial of "2-3 copies per store" isn't as easy as it sounds.

And yeah, a retailer might take a risk on a lesser known title but not because they feel frisky --- someone is pushing it. Apparently nobody is pushing Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back