SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Like me on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/SHCGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

May 22nd through the 28th: (Light week, believe me, I need it!)

:360::ps3: Enslaved $14.99 (Reg. $19.99)
xbox360.gif
ps3.gif
Splatterhouse $19.99 (Reg. $39.99)
:360::ps3: Dirt 3 $15 Gaming Coupon
:pc: Civilization 5 $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) Not available in all stores, recommend calling ahead.

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

May 22nd through the 28th:

:360: Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Bundle $60 Gaming Coupon ($299.99)
:360: Kinect Sensor $25 Gaming Coupon ($149.99)
:360: Halo Reach $39.99 ($59.99)

Coming Soon:

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

:360::ps3: 5-31 Hunted Demon Forge $15 Gaming Coupon

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I do not think I am going to do this type of deal in the future again. The system is pretty good outside of the manual entry issue of what stock boy confirmed below (just a few titles missing that will be available tomorrow) but either through customer/associate error this just seems too hard to pull off.

I mean for the most part everything seems alright, there enough confirmations of the deal across multiple areas and sku's that I am perfectly comfortable reflecting that this is working as it should, yet my email is almost beyond reasonably full.

So I know the biggest thing is communication but really there couldn't have been more done to communicate it down from what I'm seeing.[/QUOTE]

Was Monster Hunter Tri one of those titles? I bought it and LA Noire and it didn't get discounted.

I love the idea of the deal but these kinds of things need to work absolutely independently of local employee input for them to work. Associates can't be trusted to get anything right at this point, imo. Just getting the product out on the shelf day of release is enough of a struggle.

Store on south lindbergh in st. Louis was a success. The only drama involved getting someone back to the games to help me. I pushed the help button and waited a solid 10 minutes. . . . No one ever showed so I walked to customer service and they had someone there right away. They had a decent selection of $20 games to choose from (they're spread out all of the place, some by the registers and others in a couple of isles by the gaming section). I picked up Lego batman to play witty my daughter as my free game. The lady helping me had no clue about the deal but the cheap game rang up free and the coupon printed without issue (I didn't mention the deal and decided to take the quiet approach, the lady seemed pleasantly shocked when the coupon printed for me).

Thanks Josh! I know these deals are stressful but I appreciate the great incentives to shop at kmart.

Josh, I don't blame you at all dude. It's a cool concept but unless you have a way to input the entire category of video game software < $20 as opposed to manually entering UPCs, it will be a mess.

Do most of the emails just seem like some combination of customer/employee errors or register errors?

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I do not think I am going to do this type of deal in the future again. The system is pretty good outside of the manual entry issue of what stock boy confirmed below (just a few titles missing that will be available tomorrow) but either through customer/associate error this just seems too hard to pull off.

I mean for the most part everything seems alright, there enough confirmations of the deal across multiple areas and sku's that I am perfectly comfortable reflecting that this is working as it should, yet my email is almost beyond reasonably full.

So I know the biggest thing is communication but really there couldn't have been more done to communicate it down from what I'm seeing.[/QUOTE]

Would it maybe be possible to print out an additional or a restrictive type of $20 coupon (which you can then use towards your free $20 game later on in the week)?

[quote name='jer7583']Was Monster Hunter Tri one of those titles? I bought it and LA Noire and it didn't get discounted.

I love the idea of the deal but these kinds of things need to work absolutely independently of local employee input for them to work. Associates can't be trusted to get anything right at this point, imo. Just getting the product out on the shelf day of release is enough of a struggle.[/QUOTE]
Is Monster $19.99?

slightly delayed response, when i went it was perfect, the clerk knew exactly what game and for what system i was going to buy when i walked up to her, and knew all about the deal, it seems a lot of people were coming in that day to pick up la noire, everything worked great, got the coupon and free 20$ game, they had a lot of 20$ games, stuff like need for speed pro street and resident evil 5 , and some other games that looked pretty good

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Is Monster $19.99?[/QUOTE]

Yep it rang at $19.99. My receipt is in your email.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Would it maybe be possible to print out an additional or a restrictive type of $20 coupon (which you can then use towards your free $20 game later on in the week)?[/QUOTE]

Or maybe some bonus SYWR points that are equal to $20? Those could be solutions you could look into if they are possible to do. :D

[quote name='adamical']Josh, I don't blame you at all dude. It's a cool concept but unless you have a way to input the entire category of video game software < $20 as opposed to manually entering UPCs, it will be a mess.

Do most of the emails just seem like some combination of customer/employee errors or register errors?[/QUOTE]
Most are just user errors. Some are the whole Nintendo Selects issue spattered with a few Alan Wakes.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Because you hate saving buttloads of money on new releases? You actually sound angry you got this deal to work.[/QUOTE]

no because I hate wasting 2 hours of driving out of my way, the clerk figuring out how the deal works and looking through games I might want. Look, I appreciate of the free game and coupon but my time is worth something to me.

and technically, I paid full price for a new release.

Again, the staff were more than helpful albeit a bit confused.

Went to the store in Cortland, NY and Enslaved did not ring up free. The cashier knew about the blog and said someone bought the PS3 version of L.A. Noire 10 minutes prior and it worked. He got a manager and she overrode Enslaved and made it free. They were very helpful and the coupon printed perfectly.

I think this is a killer deal. I just don't understand how you can work for a company in there games section and not know about certain deals going on either post in ad or online. I mean the first cashier I spoke to had never even heard of KmartGamer. I understand it's hard to get employees to care when you can't pay them very well but in both my local kmarts I either get great service or people who should never work in hospitality ever, never anywhere in between. I'm sure there is lot's of miscommunication between customers and cashiers and vice versa but there also seems to be a disconnect between higher ups and employees if people have no clue at all. Maybe they do and they just choose to ignore it I dunno. I thought it was an awesome deal when it finally worked, but if it hadn't worked at that Kmart I would have gone to BB to buy it.

Please win me back with a great way to spend my 20$ coupon :)

Everything went well in Raleigh, NC. Craig in electronics knew about the promotion and even told me to pick out a 19.99 game for free. I picked up Resonance of Fate which was marked 59.99 and he scanned it for me first to make sure it would ring up correctly.

[quote name='usickenme']no because I hate wasting 2 hours of driving out of my way, the clerk figuring out how the deal works and looking through games I might want. Look, I appreciate of the free game and coupon but my time is worth something to me.

and technically, I paid full price for a new release.

Again, the staff were more than helpful albeit a bit confused.[/QUOTE]

I'm truly baffled...

You were happy with the free game, but don't appreciate having to shop for it and pick it out? The deal works and gives you essentially $40 of product/coupons free, but it's a waste of your time to have clerks apply the sale that gets you it? How else would you see this going? Others would just know what you want and have it waiting for you at the counter, all rung up and ready to go with your coupon on top?

My time is important too... I could wish everybody would give me $40 with a new game whenever I go shopping.

It's also front paged on Slick Deals so you're going to get some extra business from them and whoever else reposts the deal.

Anyway personally I'd normally prefer just an extra $5 on the coupon anyway if that's possible. Or a more limited selection of half off titles like the deal with Black Ops or whatever game that was.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. This was my favorite deal so far. It's pretty awesome to get $20 coupon and then also get something tangible like an extra game. I went looking for Resonance of Fate, but really there were a handful of games I could have chosen that would have been equally exceptional deals. Especially since the store I go to just has so many old games (I guess that is the key). This was way better than dealing with the points cards IMO.

Ironically this was also the smoothest transaction at my KMART location, no problems at the register at all, no issues with PSN cards not scanning or not being stocked. L.A. Noire was right where it needed to be and the free game actually worked no problem. I wouldn't mind seeing this deal repeated, but maybe it needs to be in the ad to make it clearer for employees, or is a deal like that not possible to put in the ad? Obviously selection varies by store for older $19.99 games, so I can see how if you put a deal like this in an ad not all stores would be able to back it up with a decent stock of games. And unfortunately the way this probably works is the worse the location, the more old stock they have, the better stores probably have more streamlined inventory.

Just posting with my experience at the East Washington Street K-mart in Indianapolis. Cashier was very personable, though he didn't know about the deal until I showed him on my phone. I bought LA Noire and Resonance of Fate, and when the deal didn't work automatically he called a manager over.

The manager argued with me a bit about what the blog said ("This is obviously worded wrong, there's no way they would do this deal on purpose, they must mean you get either the coupon or the free game") but I pointed out that the blog says "also" several times. He finally agreed and marked the game out for $0.01.

I don't blame him at all for his suspicion, really. I've worked retail and if someone brought a deal like that to me without me ever hearing about it beforehand, I'd be pretty suspicious too.

My experience was fantastic. They had L.A. Noire on display and had a ton, I mean a ton of great $19.99 games to choose from. After much debate, I settled on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the Wii as my freebie. The clerk was on top of things and even rang up two separate transactions so I could get the deal twice. Nice, very nice Josh.

[quote name='sTaTIx']So the $20 coupon only lasts for 45 days? If so, then I'll probably pass on this deal.[/QUOTE]

My $20 coupon says valid 05.22.11 thru 07.02.11. I dunno what ill get with it, maybe a 19.99 game and a 1600 points card, or a $30+ game like fable 3, or another game ive been waiting to get.

its a shame, this is probably the best kind of deal ever i've seen from a retailer, but you are saying you will never do it again. that is disappointing, if deals like this continued, i'd be a regular customer at kmart for games instead of places like gamestop or toysrus

[quote name='Scarlet H']I'm truly baffled...

You were happy with the free game, but don't appreciate having to shop for it and pick it out? The deal works and gives you essentially $40 of product/coupons free, but it's a waste of your time to have clerks apply the sale that gets you it? How else would you see this going? Others would just know what you want and have it waiting for you at the counter, all rung up and ready to go with your coupon on top?

My time is important too... I could wish everybody would give me $40 with a new game whenever I go shopping.[/QUOTE]

Don't be dense.

Had the store been clean/ organized and the staff knowledgeable it would've taken me 1/3 to 1/2 the time. It's not hard.

This is the the only K-Mart close to me. I would happily shop there more if the place was a bit nicer. if your store is different, I think this is a fantastic deal

Shame to see that there's more hassle within the idea then initially thought. It seemed like a really good concept to bring in customers and clear out old inventory that was never going to get pushed. I know there's still a ton of games from 2007ish probably earlier hanging out in the cases in our Kmart. Some of these titles I would buy for 5 or 10 bucks, but I wouldn't think about touching the majority of them anyway. At the same time though 5 or 10 dollar games don't exactly make Kmart any money, so there's not really a good solution for corporate. At the same time though something has to move these items. My KMART last year still had a GBA Copy of Tiger Woods Golf 2003 or 4.

Would it be more advantageous to offer specific games maybe? I know not everyone is exactly looking for the same stuff, but if you had a list of generic games that had high inventory in stores at least people could walk away with something along with purchases. For example, a game like Infamous 2. Offer a free copy of Infamous, Prototype, Saints Row or other titles that are similar in a sand box nature.

Since all the problems seem to stop if the free game comment is put in the ad, what's the harm/foul of that?

Everything went smoothly at Kmart store 9348. Employees knew about the deal. There was even a table set up for the $19.99 games. Plenty of the games from the OP list were at the store. I picked up Warioland Shake It as my free game. $20 coupon printed on a receipt.

The employee was also really friendly and knowledgeable about games. Josh, give Jovani at this store a raise!! He was great!

Store #4421 has a really friendly electronics guy named Edgar, he knew about the deal and even helped look for clearance games I wanted. There was one Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn in stock but we couldn't find it. I ended up getting Resonance of Fate as the freebie along with L.A. Noire and a PSN card. Got everything for free with my $45 & $15 coupon and SYWR credit! :D

[quote name='usickenme']Don't be dumb.

Had the store been clean/ organized and the staff knowledgeable it would've taken me 1/3 to 1/2 the time. It's not hard.

This is the the only K-Mart close to me. I would happily shop there more if the place was a bit nicer. if your store is different, I think this is a fantastic deal[/QUOTE]

There are at least 6 Kmarts in the Denver area, right?

How in the world did the process take 2hrs?

http://www.google.com/search?q=kmar...AQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=668845393480168f

Josh, can you confirm that Super Mario SLuggers black label version is also now $20 in your strores? I would rather get that one tha the horrible nintendo select titles.

[quote name='kratier']its a shame, this is probably the best kind of deal ever i've seen from a retailer, but you are saying you will never do it again. that is disappointing, if deals like this continued, i'd be a regular customer at kmart for games instead of places like gamestop or toysrus[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. It really is a great deal.

I can see how it's cumbersome though. I had TONS of problems both times they did the XBLA/PSN cards deals on Crysis and Dragon Age 2 (where you got $30 off $50 card + $20 coupon). Basically took me an hour to get out of the store both times. The more complicated the deal is, the more trouble it probably is for stores to handle it. Still those points deals were so good they basically caught my attention and are what got me started on these KMART's deals.

If I'm choosing between $5 extra on the coupon or a $19.99 game or $20 points card I'll go with the one that offers more value every...single.. time. No game is ever going to have a $40 coupon LOL, the max I think I've ever seen is $25. So I appreciate that these "creative" deals are as good as it will ever get.

I got La Noire and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Nintendo Selects for 30.00 after my 30.00 in coupons and the 20.00 coupon printed fine. The zelda game though didn't go through as the free game and had to get a manager to refund me the 19.99.

I'm really sorry to hear that... This release, and this deal, are easily the ones I was most excited about and couldn't wait to take advantage of. I wonder if perhaps it's because this deal was put up EVERYWHERE... I literally couldn't avoid hearing about it. They even brought it up on a forum that I talk on that's exclusively couponing/frugal moms. I saw a lot of people say they wanted it online and were going to be first-timers to Kmart's gaming sales because of it and they truly didn't get that the sale was as simple as get two games, show card, get coupons and games. On the Mommy forum, I answered some basic questions and the ladies were really just not getting that was all you had to do.

Hopefully maybe a lot of first-timers, paired with some localized confusion by employees, and the fact that you are the not-so-secret go to guy for when things go wrong (if I had a dime for everytime I heard "If it doesn't work or you have questions, get in touch with Josh, he fixes everything") is the reason for the overflow of emails.

If it's any comfort, on the Mommy coupon forum is flooding with comments of "wow, it really was that simple" comments, and if you can impress 40-something women who live on coupons, only buy what's on sale, and are thrilled with finding cheap TP, then you've accomplished something. And apparently they could combine coupons and get Wisk laundry detergent at Kmart for $.49 which they didn't realize until they came in for the game, so it was just a great day all the way around for them. LoL

But I do hope you reconsider... This kind of sale was awesome. Maybe not for EVERY release, but for the huge releases like this, it was an amazing way to bring people into a store that people may not have otherwise thought of.

I just tried it again at my Fenton store and it still had Singularity @ 39.99 and so I had a large balance. Management used a store-account to see if the coupon would print and it did, then voided the transaction. I did email Josh already today so he knew the issue.

So, parts of it are working and when I pressed them to reboot the register to get the new price management scoffed and said "Those are internal measures, we cannot shut down a POS merely because a customer does not like what it says."

I give up. Props to Josh, but the effort it took for me to even get the lady to finish the transaction to see the coupon had me near my limits of patience. My fiancee even tried rationally explaining it to the staff but they scoffed when we quoted this thread/Josh and at one point they even asked if they needed to get security?

The best part was when I sat catcher-stylein exasperation they noticed my secondary piece in it's holster on my ankle. That got them all hot and bothered until they were informed I was in compliance with all laws. So I spent an hour at the range and I'm okay now :D

My stores are getting picked clean. Anyway, I got lucky and found a Socom: Confrontation bundle, which I bought along with L.A. Noire (PS3).

I'm indifferent with my second round of purchases. I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (PS3) along with Tomb Raider Trilogy (PS3), as well as America's Army: True Soldiers (360) using the remainder of my coupons.

Awesome sale, thanks Josh, worked flawlessly. I checked out the discount table in front and not seeing anything I wanted then mosied on over to the case and spotted a lone copy of Tales of Vesperia sitting there.

I didn't see anyone but noticed they had a nice little button at the register you hit to call someone over there. Very friendly cashier grabbed the games, asked if I was done shopping, said no and he took them to a front counter and even found me in the store and told me which register number. Lady asked for my SYW card, gave her my phone number, boom boom, 20 gaming coupon receipt and free Tales of Vesperia. nice and smooth.

Just went to my K-mart and picked up the LA Noire and Resonance of Fate both for PS3. No one at the store knew anything about the extra free game and I had to pull it up on my phone. The deal ended up going through and everyone was nice about it. Will probably be getting a 1600 msp card later to sell and sending the other game into amazon for $16.25 credit to put towards a new camera.

Thanks SHC for the awesome deals.

The electronics cashier at my Kmart was aware of the deal, and after I entered my phone number, Yakuza 3 rang up free and the coupon printed as it should. Everything pretty much worked perfectly.

Thanks for putting so much work into these launches, SHC.

[quote name='usickenme']Don't be dense.

This is the the only K-Mart close to me. I would happily shop there more if the place was a bit nicer. if your store is different, I think this is a fantastic deal[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they were unaware of your apparent celebrity status and were unable to prep accordingly... :whistle2:s

I mean really dude, this isn't an issue of me being dense, I think it's you having really unreasonable expectations that an already amazing sale will be handed to you in such a way where you have to put out absolutely no effort as opposed to minimal effort. Even if it did take you 2 hours to get the deal, if you divide out the $40 worth of stuff by the 2 hours it took you to get it, your time according to Kmart was worth $20 an hour.

And no, our store wasn't particularly well organized (our store is very understaffed), but I'm more than happy to root around for a bit to find free games.

Damn, I love my K-Mart! Went in and snagged LA Noire and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands completely free with a $45 and $15 coupon and got the $20 coupon on top of it all!...Plus they had to give me back a penny! LOL! The cashier was so surprised and even called a manager over to check it out, but the manager said that the transaction went through correctly and they owed me a penny.

So I guess the pre-tax amount does NOT have to be more than the coupon amounts. Either that, or I just got lucky, or it's YMMV. Either way, it was one hell of a deal. Where else can you get two games completely free, and you get a $20 gaming coupon, and the store has to OWE you money?

I LOVE K-MART for video game purchases! I am definitely looking forward to using my $20 coupon on Infamous 2 next month!

I've always shopped at Kmart and I'm happy to say everything went smoothly. Picked up La Noire and got ratchet and clank for free. They had 2 nice tables with all the marked down games. I will probably go back and get another $20 game free. Thanx kmart!!! Amazon lost out on this one!

Just came from Memphis store at Austin Peay Hwy. Shoutout to nbballard and vlv for paving the way for me. I got La noire and Motorstorm PR + $20 with no hitch. The male cashier said that others had been there for the deal and if it didn't work with one game just try another.

I think my fellow Memphis CAGs took the better games from the clearance rack but no biggie :p

My trip was not a success. I went to my local Kmart and looked around in the video game section. To my dismay I couldn't find LA Noire anywhere, although I did find a bin that said "19.99 Titles and Under" crammed into the corner of the section.

I had to look for a little bit to find someone near electronics, and when I asked where the game was he said they didn't have it in stock. I remembered hearing on this thread if employees said that not to give up easily, and asked if there were any in the back. He told me he had "Unloaded the crates himself" and it wasn't there. So I went back to the front to check the ad to see if they had LA Noire in it, and they did.

A lady working the register there asked me if I needed any help, so I decided to try one more time and asked if she had LA Noire in stock. When she looked it up, she told me that "We CAN stock it, but our store does not have it." So I ended up leaving and having to miss out on this deal. I'm pretty upset- my chance to get on the K-mart coupon train has left me disappointed. What can I do, Josh?

Just got back from Kmart 9682 in Waveland, MS. Got L.A. Noire and WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 for free (both PS3). I was standing to the side of the counter in electronics when I checked out and I noticed that the game did not appear as a negative amount on the screen, but the total was correct (that is, less the $19.97).

Anyway, I really just wanted to say thank you for this awesome deal.

Got L.A. Noire and Resonance of Fate with RoF coming off free and the $20 coupon printing without incident. The store even has all the recently dropped games stacked neatly by platform (for now) in a drop bin right in front of the electronics register.

Hey guys i got La noir and the free game just fine. However, before leaving i found a 19.99 game that i wanted much more then the one i got that was buried away and was furious at myself. Do you think it is possible to swap them if i haven't opened the one i have yet? Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back