Kotaku- Extreme GameStop Pricing (Xenoblade) Leaves Some Fans Calling Scam

Actually I wouldn't because I had no idea they got more copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy. However like I said before I've never seen the inside of the case so I have no idea if there is a logo change. Also still haven't seen a website that says they got the information from a liable source. Nintendo, Gamestop etc. I've only seen a website that is just pure speculation.

Vinny said the logo is in the inside of the case. I just checked one of my own Wii Games Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny and I've seen no such logo Nintendo or Wii on the inside of the case.

Seems there is if people are still talking about it.
They admitted to reprinting the games 2 months ago. How's living under a rock working out for you?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/08/gamestop_defends_xenoblade_chronicles_pricing_plans_more_vintage_titles_like_metroid_prime_trilogy

The retailer has now issued a statement on the issue to Kotaku , defending the Xenoblade Chronicles pricing and giving a relatively vague statement on sourcing that stock, and stating that more major "vintage" titles are on the way; one of these is confirmed as the hard-to-acquire Metroid Prime Trilogy.

GameStop regularly receives feedback from our PowerUp members regarding old titles they would us like to bring back, such as vintage games like Xenoblade Chronicles. We were recently able to source a limited number of copies of this title to carry in our stores and online.

In fact, we have sourced several more vintage titles that we will be hitting stores in the coming months, including Metroid Prime Trilogy.

As always, our pricing for these games is competitive and is based on current market value driven by supply and demand. PowerUp Pro members always receive a 10% discount and earn PUR points on pre-owned purchases.

In all fairness, Gamestop has not admitted to reprinting anything,

A few things -

The article you mention states " ... though that was an unconfirmed statement."

Second, it's Kotaku, who is using an unconfirmed source. I believe this "unconfirmed source" to be a part time GS employee, who was randomly called by Kotatku.

GS was offering $50+ for this game several months prior to it showing up on store shelves. I'm not defending GS, just pointing out that re printed copies have not been confirmed by the company or a reputable source (maybe someone who goes on the record?)

Last edited by a moderator:
In all fairness, Gamestop has not admitted to reprinting anything,

A few things -

The article you mention states " ... though that was an unconfirmed statement."

Second, it's Kotaku, who is using an unconfirmed source. I believe this "unconfirmed source" to be a part time GS employee, who was randomly called by Kotatku.

GS was offering $50+ for this game several months prior to it showing up on store shelves. I'm not defending GS, just pointing out that re printed copies have not been confirmed by the company or a reputable source (maybe someone who goes on the record?)

How could most all stores have several copies (i.e. why they show "in-stock" not "limited stock" or "out of stock") now, yet when the game released some stores didn't get a single copy.

In order for store to have the inventory they now have everyone would have had to trade their copy in and then some.

How could most all stores have several copies (i.e. why they show "in-stock" not "limited stock" or "out of stock") now, yet when the game released some stores didn't get a single copy.

In order for store to have the inventory they now have everyone would have had to trade their copy in and then some.
I'm not defending GS, but I do recall seeing that I could get $50+ for the game several months before it came back in stock. This was right around the time when people started realizing that the game was selling for $100+ on eBay. My logic is that a lot of people took GS up on their offer and they hoarded the copies.

As mentioned before, GS is a $4 billion publicly traded company and the amount of people looking to score a copy of this game is *much* smaller than you think. So how much could GS have benefited by reprinting a thousand extra copies, for example? $50K? $100K?

It's easy to point at GS as a villain, but I don't see anything sinister here. I think they got a surplus when they offered $50 (plus bonuses that were happening at the time) several months before this story ever broke. That's just my two bits.

I'm not defending GS, but I do recall seeing that I could get $50+ for the game several months before it came back in stock. This was right around the time when people started realizing that the game was selling for $100+ on eBay. My logic is that a lot of people took GS up on their offer and they hoarded the copies.

As mentioned before, GS is a $4 billion publicly traded company and the amount of people looking to score a copy of this game is *much* smaller than you think. So how much could GS have benefited by reprinting a thousand extra copies, for example? $50K? $100K?

It's easy to point at GS as a villain, but I don't see anything sinister here. I think they got a surplus when they offered $50 (plus bonuses that were happening at the time) several months before this story ever broke. That's just my two bits.
You didn't answer my question; if most GS stores only got none 1, 2, etc copies at launch how do they now have 2, 3, 4 copies? Did everyone trade their copy in and then pull some out of thin air to trade more in?

Also the could be testing the waters... if this is successful they could go after other out of print games and corner the market.

How dare they try to make a profit!

That's now how you're supposed to run a business.

It's how they're trying to make the profit that is the problem. They snuck around MSRP by abusing their preowned policies on an item that isn't available at any other retailer to dick over gamers with a 100% markup instead of just releasing sealed copies at MSRP. That is a shitty, deceptive way to run a business, and it shows how little they value their customers.

It's how they're trying to make the profit that is the problem. They snuck around MSRP by abusing their preowned policies on an item that isn't available at any other retailer to dick over gamers with a 100% markup instead of just releasing sealed copies at MSRP. That is a shitty, deceptive way to run a business, and it shows how little they value their customers.
Is it their fault it's not available at other retailers? Just sounds like another smart business decision to me.

And guess what would have happened if they did sell it for MSRP? Those same "gamers" you are talking about would have bought them and put them on ebay.

Is it their fault it's not available at other retailers? Just sounds like another smart business decision to me.

And guess what would have happened if they did sell it for MSRP? Those same "gamers" you are talking about would have bought them and put them on ebay.
No, it's not their fault; in fact, the only reason we're having this discussion is because they decided to bring it over. What's bullshit about it is that they used their exclusivity and artificial scarcity to take advantage of the high resale value and hoped we wouldn't notice. They could have been up front with us and run the exact same "vintage" promotion with sealed copies at MSRP and it would've sold like hotcakes. Instead, they decided to take advantage of the secondary market pricing and get around the PR shitstorm it would've caused by quietly sneaking reprints into their used stock and slyly say that they "sourced new copies", hoping no one would notice/care that these were manufactured for the sole purpose of ripping people off.

Does this make them a lot more money in the short term? Yes.

Does this help with their terrible reputation for customer service? Absolutely not.

This is just one more rosebud on the shitpile of things GameStop has done/is doing to show that it doesn't give one flying fuck about customer service. The "GameStop new" gutted copies, the practice of switching in shitty condition preowned games from the drawer to replace the good condition shelf copy, putting "Trade me in ASAP!" stickers on a midnight launch game that you just bought, throwing out stock game cases to make more room, basing their employee evaluations on bullshit metrics instead of actual customer satisfaction, etc etc etc. The only reasons people shop at their locations are A)convenience, B)exclusives and C)TIV value, none of which have anything to do with treating the customer like more than a sales statistic. You can play devil's advocate all you want, but making a quick buck in the short term at the expense of long term customer/employee satisfaction is a terrible way to run a business and it will bite GameStop in the ass eventually.

To be fair, most retail stores are like that, unless the particular store manager says " fuck corporate." Especially with the emphasis on metrics.

Most retail stores are definitely not like GameStop, there isn't any gutting of games or throwing out cases in regular retail stores, yes they have metrics but they also don't have clear supply restrictions like GS does, there is no excuse for not having a game in stock on launch day because the store only got enough copies in for the preorders and no extra copies. Every other store has enough copies of any game around here, all this is doing is sending people down the street in my area to Walmart or Target where the game will be in stock. Not everyone knows they want a game before it comes out.

GameStop here got one copy of fire emblem for several pre-orders, Walmart and target had at least 3-4 copies each and they weren't gone for a few days....

Either way understocking so the retailer can push only used copies when they are traded in is a bad business model, people walk out of the store unhappy and do not return. The only reason people use GS here is because you can easily trade games into them and get new games and since they have store credit they are basically forced into buying used games since GS doesn't stock new copies usually beyond the initial shipments.

I still don't believe they have reprinted the game. If they had then Monolith soft and Nintendo would have known about it. At least I'm hoping they would. 

Reasons I don't believe are the cases people keep talking about having a "Nintendo" or "Wii" logo could be any cases they used. It's not hard to take the slipcover out of case of a console game. Another reason is the only website someone posted about them reprinting them is vague and doesn't really get there point across.

The last reason is they're known to pretty much give you any case or disc. Pick up there black case? You might get the game case. Pick up a game case? You might get there black case. 

All I'm saying is it's not hard to switch out cases and reuse other ones from other games. DNukem170 said himself that other game cases he has range from "Nintendo" logos to "Wii" logos. Which means they could have reused cases and can be a reason for the logo change. 

Also I still haven't seen a copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Though also like I said they could have reused a case for that. 

There was also a promotion like I said in my other post trade for Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy for either 50 or 60$

People who used the promotion probably didn't like the games or wanted the money. 

​The only way to tell though is to look at the disc, even then though Gamestop gives you any disc they can find. 

Though I don't condone the rise in price for a used game. Even though that price is dropping. 

Also I still haven't seen a copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Though also like I said they could have reused a case for that.
I say this because I was once someone who was adamant that this extra round of Xenoblade stock wasn't a reprint (and were trade-ins, as you suggest), but once you do see the copies of MPT they have in store, that will change your stance pretty quickly. The new MPT copies are most likely a reprint that is hard to refute. They are all in the standard white Wii game case, though they all still have the manuals. What are the chances that people traded in just the game and manual, and not the Steelbook case?

A few isolated incidents of this, maybe, but most every copy at every GS (which there are about 2 copies per store) are in this condition, which would be a statistical improbability to be all trade ins. They had to at the very least reprint the covers (those are 100% new), and anyone can admit they had to reprint at least some of the manuals (more than likely all of them), so it isn't such a far stretch to say they had a printing of new discs as well.

And let's say just the discs were harvested in the form of trade-ins, they would certainly have to offer a large incentive of doing so. If they did offer $40-50 bucks each, then why have they already dropped the used price from the initial $85, to only $60 now? The cost of reprinting the cases, covers and manuals (as well as the time and labor of arranging this) would eat through the $10-20 margin pretty quickly, and would be a losing business venture. All of this is assuming people buy at the list price, and don't use PUR discounts, coupons, and B2G1 free promotions.

Once you accept the idea that MPT was a reprint, then its just a stone's throw change of perception to apply the same logic to the Xenoblade supply. You won't hear anything about this from Nintendo / Monolith Soft, because I'm sure they made their cut, and don't want to get involved in the whole "new sold as used" fiasco that is all on Gamestop.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this provide some insight.

I say this because I was once someone who was adamant that this extra round of Xenoblade stock wasn't a reprint (and were trade-ins, as you suggest), but once you do see the copies of MPT they have in store, that will change your stance pretty quickly. The new MPT copies are most likely a reprint that is hard to refute. They are all in the standard white Wii game case, though they all still have the manuals. What are the chances that people traded in just the game and manual, and not the Steelbook case?

A few isolated incidents of this, maybe, but most every copy at every GS (which there are about 2 copies per store) are in this condition, which would be a statistical improbability to be all trade ins. They had to at the very least reprint the covers (those are 100% new), and anyone can admit they had to reprint at least some of the manuals (more than likely all of them), so it isn't such a far stretch to say they had a printing of new discs as well.

And let's say just the discs were harvested in the form of trade-ins, they would certainly have to offer a large incentive of doing so. If they did offer $40-50 bucks each, then why have they already dropped the used price from the initial $85, to only $60 now? The cost of reprinting the cases, covers and manuals (as well as the time and labor of arranging this) would eat through the $10-20 margin pretty quickly, and would be a losing business venture. All of this is assuming people buy at the list price, and don't use PUR discounts, coupons, and B2G1 free promotions.

Once you accept the idea that MPT was a reprint, then its just a stone's throw change of perception to apply the same logic to the Xenoblade supply. You won't hear anything about this from Nintendo / Monolith Soft, because I'm sure they made their cut, and don't want to get involved in the whole "new sold as used" fiasco that is all on Gamestop.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this provide some insight.

IF it's all reprints and I'm not saying they're it's the best time for people to purchase a copy especially if they use the code CAG16.

Keep in mind it only works online but now it's $58.79 USED price is still 80$ they just lowered it to 70$ for a sale.

Let's not forget that 100% of Xenoblade's "used" Nintendo Club Points worked, try to explain that without coming to the reprint conclusion.

Yeah, there is plenty of solid evidence of a reprint (the unused CN codes amongst the list), there just isn't any solid proof.  Short of any company in the chain (Games Quest Direct, GameStop, Nintendo, Monolith Soft) voluntarily admitting the reprint happened, we'll never get that proof, though it will remain an unofficial foregone conclusion for me.

Let's not forget that 100% of Xenoblade's "used" Nintendo Club Points worked, try to explain that without coming to the reprint conclusion.
Well, I wouldn't say 100% unless you have asked every single person that has purchased a copy and used it.

I explained it awhile back without coming to the conclusion that it's a reprint.

There is a great way to give it an explanation, it's called not using it in the first place. I know of a lot of people who don't use Online Passes, CN Codes or Codes for free DLC packs.

I know of a few people who don't even use Club Nintendo because they think they have crappy gifts. I'm a member but I've never used it for a long time.

Just like the 3-4 used games I purchased during the 3 for 10$ deal or whatever it was. To play Multiplayer I would have needed an online pass.

lo and behold the online passes I found in the cases worked. I even got an Online Pass for Resistance 2 on the receipt that said it's supposed to expire in 2011 but it didn't. They all worked which means none of the people who originally owned the games used them.

Unless you have a solid number of how many copies are in each Gamestop and know how many they supposedly "reprinted" and if all of them had a code that was never used then you might have something.

Has no one ever heard of people not using the codes that come with your game?

Yeah, there is plenty of solid evidence of a reprint (the unused CN codes amongst the list), there just isn't any solid proof. Short of any company in the chain (Games Quest Direct, GameStop, Nintendo, Monolith Soft) voluntarily admitting the reprint happened, we'll never get that proof, though it will remain an unofficial foregone conclusion for me.
There might be evidence which I believe is circumstantial. Though without proof it just leads to speculations and assuming.

Dude, just go to a fucking GameStop yourself and use your eyes. If you can't tell that they're reprints then you should just quit buying video games since you obviously don't know what to look for.

http://www.1up.com/features/instant-rarity?pager.offset=3

Gamestop has been doing it for years.  If you still choose to not believe it, what the fuck do you think Gamestop's statement means when they say they sourced a "limited" number of copies?  That someone just happened to be hoarding a few thousand copies of Xenoblades and Metroid Prime Trilogy that they sold or traded in to Gamestop in bulk?  

MetalSlugger

Clearly, I don't if I don't share the same consensus as everyone else. /sarcasm

mitch079

According to your article that just proved Gamestop didn't reprint copies of the game. However it does prove they got reprinted copies from another game company that paid to print the copies. All Gamestop did was pay for them after the original game store sold them to them. Which still like I said before I don't condone the rise in game price especially when they label it used.

Still don't believe it got a reprint.

Just noticed a used copy of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the Nintendo Wii is like $65 at Gamestop! :shock:

I knew about MPT and Xeno, not this one though. 

Edit: I guess that's probably because FE:RD hasn't gotten a reprint.

bread's done
Back