KOTOR on Steam for $2.49

[quote name='abhinav']Sorry if this was mentioned before but when does this deal expire?[/QUOTE]
Looks like 11 tomorrow morning, there is a countdown on steam. Still only 10 bucks without the deal and it is worth that by far too.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']woah is kotor 2 not even on steam?[/QUOTE]
LucasArts seems to be releasing a few of their games on Steam at a time. I'm sure we'll see it on there eventually.

[quote name='PerfectCr']It almost feels like robbery to pay so little for this classic.[/QUOTE]

I certainly feel robbed. The damn thing has managed to startup properly once out of about 20 times I've tried and it takes explorer down with it, which is annoying. Using the configuration utility you can disable movies which at least lets it start up. But I'm really not sure it's worth the time or hassle to play.

I'm having graphical issues with the game. The faces are disjointed from the bodies and everybody's turned on their sides. I hope I didn't get a cheap version of the game in more ways then one.

I see a lot of people have problems with the game, more so those with ATI cards. I thought for sure my lame Dell one would work but it won't even go past the start up screen.

I have the original discs but might buy this just because I don't have to worry about losing physical media. Is there any reason this wouldn't be on-par with the disc version? (i.e. no mod support, etc.)

[quote name='BloodiestCadaver']I see a lot of people have problems with the game, more so those with ATI cards. I thought for sure my lame Dell one would work but it won't even go past the start up screen.[/QUOTE]

Try running the swconfig utility in the kotor directory and checking the box to disable videos. That got the game to start up for me and it's running great. It might also be a problem with mss32.dll, google that if you're stilling having problems after disabling video.

And definitely look into the widescreen hack if you're playing on a widescreen display. Looks pretty damn good at 1080p for being such an old game.

[quote name='hpv']Actually, I take that back. After disabling videos the game runs great. Definitely look into the widescreen hack, the game looks pretty good at 1080p.[/QUOTE]

Are you using an nVidia or ATI card?

[quote name='hpv']Nvidia.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was hoping you'd say ATI (since I'm on ATI), but it's good to know at least half of the PC owners can enjoy this game.

[quote name='sukru']Thanks. I was hoping you'd say ATI (since I'm on ATI), but it's good to know at least half of the PC owners can enjoy this game.[/QUOTE]

How far does the game get before crapping out on you? Did it ever show anything? You on Vista 64-bit as well?

Bought it yesterday. Got it to run find on my netbook - Acer Aspire One. Turned everything down (no grass, shadows). Movement is still a little choppy, but it's playable so far.

Well went ahead and bit just like I did with TF2 a little while back. Already have it for Xbox but figured the PC version would be better. Thanks OP.

mine keeps crashing when i try to get to the undercity, i switch my display to 16 bit and then it works for a bit, and then it crashes.

its only 2.50 but i really remember why i steer clear from pc games unless they are exclusively on the PC.

Just started playing it. The combat system seems very different from the Jedi Academy game in which you can fight like a fighting game and have actual controls over how you throw your lightsaber, jump, jedi force/grab, etc and shoot like a shooting game. You don't get to do those in KOTOR, do you?

Nope. You pretty much pick your special attack or force power when you get it and it does it automatically. It's like an mmo in where you will auto attack and you can choose like abilities to use. I still hate the battle system in it, and why it has made me weary of Dragon Age, since I hear it's the same type of battle system.

[quote name='eau']Just started playing it. The combat system seems very different from the Jedi Academy game in which you can fight like a fighting game and have actual controls over how you throw your lightsaber, jump, jedi force/grab, etc and shoot like a shooting game. You don't get to do those in KOTOR, do you?[/QUOTE]

Since the deal is over... maybe this thread should be closed and if anyone cared, make a new thread about the game in the PC forums?

Anyway, to answer your question, the game is nothing like Jedi Academy. No actual controls over how throw, no aiming, no timed swings. If you ever played Balder's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or any Dungeon and Dragons game, KOTOR system is that. You get rounds that are played out with dice rolls, saving rolls, all that business. You can pause the action and queue up actions in tight situations. So again... nothing like Jedi Academy.

[quote name='eau']Just created my first steam account to take advantage of this deal :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
First Steam account? You only need one. ;)

[quote name='eau']Just started playing it. The combat system seems very different from the Jedi Academy game in which you can fight like a fighting game and have actual controls over how you throw your lightsaber, jump, jedi force/grab, etc and shoot like a shooting game. You don't get to do those in KOTOR, do you?[/QUOTE]

KOTOR is an RPG. The underlying RPG mechanics are actually based on a d20 system; it's actually not far removed from D&D.

Yeah. I seldom played PC games for years and didn't need to have a steam account until yesterday ;)

Years ago I played Jedi Academy and loved it. Speaking of that, where can I get a copy of it now?

[quote name='eastx']Well, Jedi Academy is $10 through Steam. Of course, you could get the Jedi Knight Collection for $20, or the entire LucasArts Premiere Pack for only $50 through Monday.

Still, you should give KOTOR a good chance. It may be an RPG, but it's still one of the best Star Wars games ever, if not the very best.[/QUOTE]

I just bought a Acer laptop throught newegg. It's got a 2.1ghz processor, 4gb of ddr2, 64-bit Windows 7 and a dedicated graphics card. It's by no means a gaming rig. In that regard I have a couple of questions.

1. It seems like the LucasArts premiere pack might be a nice purchase for that rig. Republic Commando, Dark Forces, the Jedi Knights and KoToR would be fun plays in a mobile environment. But compability seems like it could be an issue. I saw one post claiming KoToR ran fine on a Win7 machine. Does anyone else have any experience with some of the other games I mentioned.

2. I already have a steam account with L4D, MW2, the Half-Lifes and others. Theoretically, can I have those games on my new laptop also as well as my desktop?

Thanks in advance for any info!

[quote name='xTraPointLess']2. I already have a steam account with L4D, MW2, the Half-Lifes and others. Theoretically, can I have those games on my new laptop also as well as my desktop?[/QUOTE]

Your Steam account, and all your games you own on it, are fully and portable to any computer you wish; you can use it on an unlimited number of computers. Just install Steam, log in, and you have access to all the games you own on Steam.

KOTOR is an RPG, not a FPS ;)

bread's done
Back