Lady Falls in Fountain - Suing for an Apology

n8rockerasu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
Can't believe there's not a thread on this already. I'm sure many have seen the video, but some dumbass lady fell into a mall fountain because she was texting while walking. Mall security sees the footage, takes cell phone video, posts to Youtube, hilarity ensues.

The lady (who is an employee of the mall, btw) now has an attorney and is threatening to sue simply because no one came to her aid. The video of her interview is even funnier than her falling into the fountain. Just listen to this ridiculous woman.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/fountain-lady-nobody-went-to-my-aid-23909987

There is no law stating that you must come to someone's aid...even if they are injured and bleeding out... It is at your discretion whether or not to come to someones aid. What a joke...her lawyer should freaking know that. ROFL!

That, and she was in a public place where she was filmed (maybe the mall owner could fire the security employee for misconduct...but that is about it). What are they going to sue the mall for? Having a coin pond in a mall in a location where someone texting and walking and not paying attention could potentially walk into it? If that were the case, almost every mall in the US would get sued. Maybe if she was injured...and it wasnt her damn fault to begin with... What a joke. LOL!!!

Heed her words of wisdom though, "do not text and walk"!

Finally sweet justice! I cant tell you how many people have bumped into me because they are "texting while walking"

It's good to see at least 1 person got what was coming to them, hopefully they don't get rich because of Stupidity.

I split my coffee on myself from laughing so hard watching that video. Anyone have her information, as I would like to sue her for my burns. :D

My impression is that it was more surrounding the release of the video than the actual aid part, but either way, she should have been watching where she was going. What a dope.

[quote name='Retom7']My impression is that it was more surrounding the release of the video than the actual aid part, but either way, she should have been watching where she was going. What a dope.[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense either. She was responsible for her "catastrophe" in every way possible. A reasonable person would not be blindly walking around, not paying attention to where they were going, with their phone shoved in their face so they couldnt see a damn thing...well, maybe not now-a-days...but that is how the court will see it IMHO. Maybe if they could show that the placing of the fountain and some other BS made for an inherently unsafe condition...or the floor was wet near the fountain that caused her to slip...then maybe...

The best part is when they replay the security footage and you can hear the guys who filmed it laughing hysterically.

But quit taking yourself so seriously, you done fucked up, but you didn't get hurt so just laugh it off.

The funny thing to me is that, yes, this must be horribly embarrassing. It's even more embarrassing to have something like this become viral, but at the end of the day, she could have at least taken comfort in the fact that no one knew it was her. Even people who know her well would be hard-pressed to identify the person in the video as her unless they knew the story of what happened to her... and by going on major networks to tell this story, she made sure everyone now knows she was the lady too engrossed in her texting to notice the giant fountain in the middle of the mall. Nice work sparing yourself some embarrassment!

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']There is no law stating that you must come to someone's aid...even if they are injured and bleeding out... It is at your discretion whether or not to come to someones aid. [/QUOTE]

Jerry Seinfeld would beg to differ...

Elaine, George, Kramer, and Jerry were sentenced to 1 year of jail for not helping someone in need. Good Samaritan Law...

[quote name='Cantatus']The funny thing to me is that, yes, this must be horribly embarrassing. It's even more embarrassing to have something like this become viral, but at the end of the day, she could have at least taken comfort in the fact that no one knew it was her. Even people who know her well would be hard-pressed to identify the person in the video as her unless they knew the story of what happened to her... and by going on major networks to tell this story, she made sure everyone now knows she was the lady too engrossed in her texting to notice the giant fountain in the middle of the mall. Nice work sparing yourself some embarrassment![/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='Cantatus']The funny thing to me is that, yes, this must be horribly embarrassing. It's even more embarrassing to have something like this become viral, but at the end of the day, she could have at least taken comfort in the fact that no one knew it was her. Even people who know her well would be hard-pressed to identify the person in the video as her unless they knew the story of what happened to her... and by going on major networks to tell this story, she made sure everyone now knows she was the lady too engrossed in her texting to notice the giant fountain in the middle of the mall. Nice work sparing yourself some embarrassment![/QUOTE]

If she hadnt outed herself, nobody would know who she was.

It gets better--

UPDATE: As Stacy Stutz, some lady I know from Facebook, just said: "It's all fun and games until it goes viral on YouTube" ... and you cry about it on TV and hint at launching a lawsuit, and the Streisand effect kicks in.

"In the hours that followed Cathy Cruz Marrero's appearance on 'Good Morning America' today to talk about the fall and its aftermath, she was in court for a status hearing on charges of five felony counts, including theft by deception and receiving stolen property," reports ABC News.

Turns out Marrero's been out on $7,500 bail since 2009, after being charged with running up more than $5,000 in purchases on a co-worker's credit card. No wonder she had a lawyer handy.

Marrero's next court date is April 21, and she's facing about six months of house arrest and electronic monitoring, according to the Reading Eagle. So all y'all talking about how if she just shut up and went on with her life, nobody would know it was her in the fountain —maybe six people recognized her — are more right than you realized. While it's unknown how many people knew about her alleged theft charges, we all sure know about it now.

What a dumbass...

I've been to that mall, Berkshire. That fountain is so obvious. The Reading/Wyomissing area of Pennsylvania is so damn dangerous. Anybody that unobservant would be eating a bullet or a knife if they weren't indoors with that level or perception. It was staged.

They didn't help because YOU WEREN'T HURT lady! Also the security guards are not paramedics that you called on 911, what do you expect them to do anyway? They are there to prevent theft and keep people from getting robbed, they aren't trained to provide first aid or reduced fractured bones or whatever she expects.

Don't want people to laugh? Don't trip into the damn fountain.

I also heard on the local news that she is awaiting trial for theft. What a winner.

Hold all responsible parties responsible? ...

What, are they going to go after the woman from church that was texting her?

Haha, wow. Nice find on her felony charges, keith. That's hilarious. And here I thought she was just some lady with a stick up her ass who couldn't even laugh at herself. Honestly, the part of the video that made me laugh the most was when she started to tear up about the store manager wanting to give her a hug but not being able to because...because..she was DRENCHED! :cry: I almost started to feel bad for laughing, but then I remembered how freaking ridiculous it was.

What really gets me though is how her "lesson learned" is that she could have been hit by a bus or gotten seriously injured, when truth be told, she could have fallen on a small child or knocked an elderly person over. The reason you should pay attention to what you're doing is so you're not a danger to SOMEONE ELSE.

Here's my theory.
Lady spends without thinking.
Lady racks up massive balance on a credit card and now needs to pay.
Lady gets desperate.
Lady and her "lawyer" (pff what a joke) get a bright idea to sue the mall.
Lady is pwned by lady luck.

credit goes to vivafriend5 for the idea.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']There is no law stating that you must come to someone's aid...even if they are injured and bleeding out... It is at your discretion whether or not to come to someones aid. What a joke...her lawyer should freaking know that. ROFL!

That, and she was in a public place where she was filmed (maybe the mall owner could fire the security employee for misconduct...but that is about it). What are they going to sue the mall for? Having a coin pond in a mall in a location where someone texting and walking and not paying attention could potentially walk into it? If that were the case, almost every mall in the US would get sued. Maybe if she was injured...and it wasnt her damn fault to begin with... What a joke. LOL!!!

Heed her words of wisdom though, "do not text and walk"![/QUOTE]

You don't sue someone because they broke a law, the government does. You, as an individual, sue someone because you suffer a loss because of their actions (or inactions). If someone does break a law and your injured because of it that can serve as evidence in your lawsuit (which is called negligence per se).

Employers are responsible for the actions of their employees if it is within the scope of their job duties.

[quote name='Retom7']My impression is that it was more surrounding the release of the video than the actual aid part, but either way, she should have been watching where she was going. What a dope.[/QUOTE]

My professor mentioned that aspect as well and it gave me cause to think about it. We all do dumb stuff every day, luckily most of it is only seen by a couple people or no one at all. Imagine if every time we did something stupid it was put up on the internet for the whole world to see.

This, she went public, now everyone knows she's a boob...

I love this story on so many levels. She says she was so embarassed and upset yet she admits it looked funny. I'd like to know how long she's worked at the mall to not even know there was a fountain in that spot.

The ABC clip was new to me so thanks for posting it. Check out the CNN version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WudLUvhjHI

This one showed the bruise on her leg. Watch what happens when her phone goes off during the interview.

My favorite quote:
"next thing I know I'm just seeing pennies and coins in front of my face"

Eat your heart out, Mario.

[quote name='keithp']It gets better--

[/QUOTE]

I would love to know the source of this.

[quote name='RawrrSlayer']This, she went public, now everyone knows she's a boob...[/QUOTE]

This dumb twat is going to become rich off this, you watch.

[quote name='Amblix']I hope she wins so we can prove how fucked up the justice system is here.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, it happened years ago when that one woman received millions of dollars for spilling Mcdonald's coffee on herself.

[quote name='keithp']Link[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. The author is the first person I've seen to refer to her as "girl". She's no spring chicken.

[quote name='thegreek']This dumb twat is going to become rich off this, you watch.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if she appears in a reality show based on her house arrest.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Jerry Seinfeld would beg to differ...

Elaine, George, Kramer, and Jerry were sentenced to 1 year of jail for not helping someone in need. Good Samaritan Law...[/QUOTE]

Ha, that's exactly what I thought of when I read this story. Still dunno how I feel about that finale though.

If shit like this happens to you while texting, you deserved it. If they're passing laws preventing people from texting while driving so they don't fuck somebody else up, I hope the judge that hears this case tells this lady to "GTFO!"

LMAO! Everything she did was dumb. Texting while walking. Falling into fountain. Going public with a lawyer. This is one stupid woman.

[quote name='Cage017']As far as I'm concerned, it happened years ago when that one woman received millions of dollars for spilling Mcdonald's coffee on herself.[/QUOTE]

That woman did not RECEIVE millions of dollars. A jury AWARDED millions of dollars but the judge reduced the amount to $640,000 and they settled out of court for less. I'm sure her lawyer will get 50% of that final amount.

She even admitted it was funny. *Sigh* her crying during the interview just pissed me off more. You decided to text and walk. You paid the consequences. No one is safe from the internet if you do something stupid!

[quote name='Cage017']As far as I'm concerned, it happened years ago when that one woman received millions of dollars for spilling Mcdonald's coffee on herself.
[/QUOTE]

This is one of the most misrepresented and misunderstood legal cases of all time and is often used to degrade our profession. I would encourage anyone to actually read the facts of the case. The women received 3rd degree burns and was hospitalized for several days, followed by a few years of medical treatment. From what I've read she attempted to settle for only her actual medical losses, which mcdonalds refused- so she got an attorney. There was evidence introduced indicating Mcdonalds may have kept there coffee hotter than industry standards, which made it take less time to receive burns. There were also several other past instances of accidents. After the verdict, Mcdonals lowered the temperature of the coffee.

[quote name='caltab']This is one of the most misrepresented and misunderstood legal cases of all time and is often used to degrade our profession. I would encourage anyone to actually read the facts of the case. The women received 3rd degree burns and was hospitalized for several days, followed by a few years of medical treatment. From what I've read she attempted to settle for only her actual medical losses, which mcdonalds refused- so she got an attorney. There was evidence introduced indicating Mcdonalds may have kept there coffee hotter than industry standards, which made it take less time to receive burns. There were also several other past instances of accidents. After the verdict, Mcdonals lowered the temperature of the coffee.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying the she sued because McDonald's hot coffee is hot and can cause burns? Yup, sounds about right, totally misrepresented.

[quote name='caltab']This is one of the most misrepresented and misunderstood legal cases of all time and is often used to degrade our profession. I would encourage anyone to actually read the facts of the case. The women received 3rd degree burns and was hospitalized for several days, followed by a few years of medical treatment. From what I've read she attempted to settle for only her actual medical losses, which mcdonalds refused- so she got an attorney. There was evidence introduced indicating Mcdonalds may have kept there coffee hotter than industry standards, which made it take less time to receive burns. There were also several other past instances of accidents. After the verdict, Mcdonals lowered the temperature of the coffee.[/QUOTE]

Don't bother, people are going to hate the legal system and lawyers no matter what. The saddest part is the courts and legal system protect an individual's rights much more than the either executive or legislative branch ever does. Call it misinterpretation or just a basic ignorance of civics but at the end of the day people's opinions of lawyers just won't change.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']So you're saying the she sued because McDonald's hot coffee is hot and can cause burns? Yup, sounds about right, totally misrepresented.[/QUOTE]

no I am saying that it was arguably unnecessarily hot, which made it take less time to cause 3rd degree burns. Mcdonald's changed the temperature of the coffee after the incident, which made it arguably safer for all consumers.

bread's done
Back