Laptop broke!! Need tech advice! Help a CAG out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

urmomlikesme

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
My laptop has recently pooped out on me. It's an HP mini 2140. It's about two years old so it is out of warranty (only 1 year). So this is what happened I was talking on the phone with the laptop in my hand. I put the laptop down on my desk and it abruptly shut off. No warning, no blue screens, nada. I tried turning it back on but nothing. I thought the batter had moved so I took it off and put it back on but still nothing. I plugged in the power cord n still nothing. Also there is a light where you plug in the power cord that turns on orange to signify that it is charging and turns blue when it is charged but now it doesn't turn on it all. Sometimes it flickers a faint blue when I plug it in but then stops.

Ok so I called HP support and they didn't really do anything cuz it was out of warranty. They said I could send it in if I purchase what I'm guessing is more warranty. So my question is should I send it in to them or just buy a new laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't even tell you what the problem is? I'm no expert but any time I've had a computer just shut down on me it's been the fan.

If the light doesn't even turn on, it could be something as simple as a bad power supply. Do you have any friends with a computer that uses the same power cord, that you could use to test it?

Thanks for the help guys. I don't think it's the monitor. It doesn't turn on at all. It could be the fan. I don't think it's the power supply. The battery was charged when it shut down. N the light faintly flickers when I plug it in to the power supply

[quote name='kube00']Sounds like its either the mobo or the power supply[/QUOTE]

I'm not very tech savvy. What's a mobo? Mother board? Should I just send it in

[quote name='urmomlikesme']I'm not very tech savvy. What's a mobo? Mother board? Should I just send it in[/QUOTE]If the battery is supposedly fully charged, it should power up off the battery even if the AC adapter isn't working.

Though, if the AC adapter isn't working, it's likely that the battery isn't charged, which may be why it's not coming up off the battery. Only way to know for sure is to use a known working AC adapter on the laptop and see if it comes up. If it does come up off a known working AC adapter, then your AC adapter needs to be replaced. If it doesn't come up off of the known working AC adapter, then it's likely to be the system board / motherboard, which won't be worth paying to get fixed.

I can't imagine HP would extend the warranty on a non-working laptop, so the cost they're referring to is likely the repair costs. Those costs are likely to exceed the value of the laptop. Since it's a netbook, it's not that expensive a unit to begin with, so I'd suggest buying a replacement unit rather than trying to fix it.

Thanks for the advice shrike. Sounds really helpful. I will try that. :( cuz I need a new laptop.

[quote name='shrike4242']If the battery is supposedly fully charged, it should power up off the battery even if the AC adapter isn't working.

Though, if the AC adapter isn't working, it's likely that the battery isn't charged, which may be why it's not coming up off the battery. Only way to know for sure is to use a known working AC adapter on the laptop and see if it comes up. If it does come up off a known working AC adapter, then your AC adapter needs to be replaced. If it doesn't come up off of the known working AC adapter, then it's likely to be the system board / motherboard, which won't be worth paying to get fixed.

I can't imagine HP would extend the warranty on a non-working laptop, so the cost they're referring to is likely the repair costs. Those costs are likely to exceed the value of the laptop. Since it's a netbook, it's not that expensive a unit to begin with, so I'd suggest buying a replacement unit rather than trying to fix it.[/QUOTE]

Did you disengage the battery and reconnect it? Maybe when you set it down the battery popped loose, I've had it happen a few times to me on my Dell Laptop, if would give you the same issues if thats it.

[quote name='joey791']Did you disengage the battery and reconnect it? Maybe when you set it down the battery popped loose, I've had it happen a few times to me on my Dell Laptop, if would give you the same issues if thats it.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought what happened right away. I took out the battery put it back in. And no luck. I took the battery out and just plugged it in to the power supply and still nothing.

Update: I tried my brother power supply from his HP laptop and nothing. Still get the flickering blue light. I guess I need a new laptop :(

if it was the monitor you'd still hear it turning on. if you're really getting no reaction it's probably not the battery. unless you were running on empty when it happened. sounds lke something in the motherboard which unfortunately is pretty bad from what i know. call one of your local laptop repair places. find which one can do a diagnostic for the cheapest price. Up here my cheapest diagnostic is about 25-40 dollars. least you'll be able to better gauge from there.

ive had this happen before a few times on the same laptop, it was either the power supply cords would slip a little if it got to hot and lost connection, the fan died, or the fan/heat sinc(sp) died, any of them can cause it to just pop off (i bet it made a small pop like sound as it just went off)

shouldnt be a hard fix if you know what your doing, either its just making sure wires are snug or changing the fan out

not to sound like a dick but take it as a lesson learned to buy the extended warranty or accidental warranty if you buy at bestbuy

[quote name='wesdw369']ive had this happen before a few times on the same laptop, it was either the power supply cords would slip a little if it got to hot and lost connection, the fan died, or the fan/heat sinc(sp) died, any of them can cause it to just pop off (i bet it made a small pop like sound as it just went off)

shouldnt be a hard fix if you know what your doing, either its just making sure wires are snug or changing the fan out

not to sound like a dick but take it as a lesson learned to buy the extended warranty or accidental warranty if you buy at bestbuy[/QUOTE]

It did make a small pop noise! You know exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you! I didn't buy it at best buy, I bought it directly from hp's website. So what should I do now? I'm no where near skilled enough to change the parts myself. Is there anywhere you guys can reccommend where I can get this fix right and cheap if possible. I'm thinking geek squad but idk if they are a total rip off

Well your local tech store is going to probably charge at least $100 to repair the power supply connection could be more if something is seriously wrong
Geek squad is going to hose you, I would imagine something like $100 just to look at it and another $200 or so to fix it

Your best bet remove the old HD, slave it up to another pc (or put it an external HD laptop enclosure, these are pretty cheap on newegg) retrieve your data and buy yourself a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back