Laptop deal/suggestions? Budget <$600 after tax/ship/rebate etc

Gamer SDP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (98%)
So my laptop from 2008 is really inconsistent with the CPU usage when I am doing basic things like watching a video online or have a media player running.  I plan to have a desktop built by the end of the year but would like an everyday laptop.  Ideal budget is under $600 total after eveything.  Doesn't have to be a 2014/2015 model.

The most important thing is being able to record and possibly stream games using elgato hd60 (friend got a spare).  I would like to be able to record Wii U, PS3, 360, and earlier games at 60fps.  I want to be able to stream these games at at least 30fps.  PC games mainly include Hearthstone and "indie" games with simple engines.  Basically no AAA PC games or anything with above average cpu/gpu min requirements.  I could always get a used regular elgato hd as well if I could save over $150 on the laptop.

I'd like a dual/quad core CPU or at least "good" enough to have browser with 12+ tabs (videos, articles, forums, etc), excel files, a pc games like Hearthstone, music player all running at once.  I would like to be able to do simple video editing/recording with free software as well (Windows Movie Maker and whatever is free).  Being able to run CAS/statistical packages and do some minor programming would be nice - nothing crazy at all as my early/mid 2000s desktop was meh and could do stuff (math and engineering stuff).

Mimimum specs/features
At least an i5 two iterations behind

4GB RAM

15" (or 14.x" that can be marketed as 15")

Resolution should be at least 1280 by 720

HDMI port

DVI/VGA port

Headphone (3.5mm) jack

3 USB 2.0 ports (more the better, 3.0 not needed)

Wireless-n and an ethernet port

Weight of 6lbs or less

Graphics and sound card should be at least "average"

Decent fan/cooling. Don't want something with a lot of complaints

Decent battery

HDD space and speed doesn't matter, more the better

Optical drive options and features don't really matter to me

Windows 7 prefered, but 8 should be okay now. 

I would also like minimal bloatware.

Brand doesn't matter as long as I have heard of it.

For ref, this is the laptop I have (or at least Best Buy's version). Was around $500, forgot how many and which discounts I was able to get

http://www.engadget.com/products/gateway/m-6862/specs/

TL;DR

14"-17" screen

Dual core or better - must be compatible with Elgato HD60

720p or better resolution

DVI/VGA and HDMI port

Multi card reader

3+ USB 2.0

Wireless N

Graphics/sound card can handle most types of non-AAA games and indies

Headphone jack

Battery/fan considered decent

Windows 7 prefered

Weigh less than 6lbs

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link. although that laptop doesn't have hdmi or anything, I might have to specially consider AMD.
it does,

Laptop also features: AMD Radeon R4 graphics; double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; HD webcam with microphone; SD/MMC card slot; wireless networking (802.11b/g/n); HDMI output; numeric keypad; matte-textured resin finish in jet black

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back