Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light PS3 Discussion -- FREE Co-Op Patch Out Now!

Jodou

Infamous
Feedback
12 (100%)
lara-croft-guardian-of-light.jpg

Official Website

Metacritic Rating: 82

Release Date Announcement (Priced at $15)

Last edited by a moderator:
This might surprisingly be a good Lara Croft game. There is going to be a set of DLC coming for this, so if people here are planning to get it, be apart of a longer term group.

With the release of the psn version there will be online play (360 gets it patched in).

Yeah, the reviews I saw were fairly favorable, so barring a botched port this will be day one for me. Need to use up these PSN cards somehow, heh.

gamespot is giving away early demo access codes on their website. at work so its getting blocked can't post direct link. sorry

This just in:

Online WILL NOT come with the game at launch. The bugs must still be in the works, but they say it would come before the DLCs.

[quote name='j-cart']This just in:

Online WILL NOT come with the game at launch. The bugs must still be in the works, but they say it would come before the DLCs.[/QUOTE]
Wow, major fail. Maybe they shouldn't release the game until it's done next time, eh?

The XBLA version still does not have online.

Free Patch, but it is all about getting the game out since this game was suppose to be out before summer was over.

[quote name='j-cart']The XBLA version still does not have online.

Free Patch, but it is all about getting the game out since this game was suppose to be out before summer was over.[/QUOTE]
Well, without the MP I have no interest in the game. It'll be like Torchlight all over again: one week and done. By the time they do get their act together, I'll be head deep in the AAA holiday games.

Dont take it that this game wont have online. It WILL, just not at release.

This game seems appropriate to get a PSN share group on because of the DLC they have planned for it.

[quote name='Jodou']Well, without the MP I have no interest in the game. It'll be like Torchlight all over again: one week and done. By the time they do get their act together, I'll be head deep in the AAA holiday games.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They definitely need to get multiplayer patched in ASAP. The game is already coming out the same week as Dead Rising 2, so it's got that going against it. If it takes them another month to patch the game, I'll already be busy with stuff like NBA 2K11 and Black Ops.

[quote name='mykee98']gamespot is giving away early demo access codes on their website. at work so its getting blocked can't post direct link. sorry[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! Got the demo...its 2.4gb.

[quote name='lude21']Thanks!! Got the demo...its 2.4gb.[/QUOTE]

holy crap!!!! I guess I will que it up to download in a few minutes, maybe get to play it tomorrow.

It's so large because the "demo" is the full game so if you decide to purchase it, you're just unlocking the rest of the content.

[quote name='SEH']It's so large because the "demo" is the full game so if you decide to purchase it, you're just unlocking the rest of the content.[/QUOTE]
It took me a couple seconds to realize this is what they do when I bought Castle Crashers lol. I was like: why are there two files and why is the one marked purchase like 23K?

[quote name='SynGamer']Downloaded. Will try it out after the 28th, just to be safe. Unless otherwise confirmed to be safe before then.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about safe, but I can confirm that this download is taking ENTIRELY TOO fuckING LONG! I don't understand how people are getting the 2.4 gigs in minutes since its been an hour now and I'm at 13%. Tried rebooting the modem, router, and PS3. Shit is driving me nuts.

[quote name='SynGamer']Downloaded. Will try it out after the 28th, just to be safe. Unless otherwise confirmed to be safe before then.[/QUOTE]

Its safe, i just played through the 1st level, trophies synced fine and there is no expiration.

[quote name='Jodou']I don't know about safe, but I can confirm that this download is taking ENTIRELY TOO fuckING LONG! I don't understand how people are getting the 2.4 gigs in minutes since its been an hour now and I'm at 13%. Tried rebooting the modem, router, and PS3. Shit is driving me nuts.[/QUOTE]

Initially the time kept counting up for me too. Said it would take 800 minutes... then after a half hour it was done. I dont get it, since it jumped from 800 - 1 min in a matter of seconds.

[quote name='Steggy']Initially the time kept counting up for me too. Said it would take 800 minutes... then after a half hour it was done. I dont get it, since it jumped from 800 - 1 min in a matter of seconds.[/QUOTE]
It's slowly getting faster, but it's still going to take a couple hours unless it breaks free of w/e is bogging it down.

its the full game i got in one this and its a fun game so far. its got local co-op and plays like dead nation only with some puzzle bits added. hell you even get a trophy for starting a co-op game lol.

I still can't believe GS messed up that badly, but it saves me the money of picking it up! For some odd reason when I installed and started playing last night it didn't go through the installing trophies phase. This morning I reapplied the full game patch and then it worked when I loaded the game up. BTW, you get a silver trophy JUST for starting a co-op game lol. If you have a second controller, just load it up briefly and you can also knock out Jump Jump at the same time (jump on his shield and then press jump on both controllers).

Can't believe how easy these trophies are and most of them you can get on the first level easily.

Any reason for those who have partaken in Gamespots 'demo' sign up worry about the game patching to lock those users out?

I played only a couple of minutes...but I think I could safely say this is the best Tomb Raider game I have ever played.

I'm glad I got it before GS fixed the code leak. I was just in time too, since I had forgotten my password - when I refreshed, it was fixed. I think it can be gameshared, by the way.

This game is way too much fun. It's pretty much Gauntlet and Uncharted combined to make one awesome game.

Warning**Do not buy any codes from any CAGs for this game. Sony fixed the issue. Any code you enter from now on will only generate a demo download. You will NOT get the key.**

Well, after finishing this game I can honestly say I'm glad it was free. There's really no replay value aside from finishing trophies, which means completing all challenges and finding all the relics. MP should remedy this somewhat, but it's still the same levels to play through and there's no leveling system or loot drops so it's all just for grins. It is fun playing through once if just for the puzzles, though.

The puzzles are mostly well thought out and don't make you scratch your head to the point of frustration, but after figuring them out once will just become tedious in replays. I can imagine this will be a major issue once MP comes out, since experienced players will just become frustrated with their counterpart or start telling them what to do. Ultimately, if you don't have a green friend to play this with -- play solo. Otherwise puzzle solving will be ruined for you.

Weapons you find are superfluous once you get the flamethrower about a quarter of the way through the game, since it's easily the best dmg:ammo ratio that I found. Some weapons are situational when you need range, but your non-ammo consuming dualies work just fine here. Anything else is personal preference, but lighting enemies up and watching them burn to death is satisfactory. I believe there's no friendly-fire in local co-op, so thankfully no issues there.

One major complaint I have with the game is the fact that dying in single-player will fine you 5,000 points. Considering the fact that each level has a points score objective that sometimes is barely achievable, you can't afford any losses if you want to unlock the weapon from the tier 3 challenge. That said, whenever you die it does not save this new total and you can simply exit the game and reload. In fact, this is exploitable since other things DO hot-save such as red skull collection, so if you need to cheese a trap to get something you can just reload when you die without penalty. Back to the point, why even bother having such a retarded mechanic to punish death if it doesn't stick? It just serves to completely waste your time reloading and is unnecessary. Whoever thought it was a good idea needs to be donkey-dick punched.

Lastly, without the inclusion of MP at release I really can't recommend this for $15. You can beat it in a lazy afternoon and unless you're a completionist there's no reason to play it again. As I said, there's no leveling or boss loot to seek here so any RPG elements are loosely borrowed from Diablo in the form of power-ups. Then again, those are just a means to an end for tackling level challenges. If you can wait on a sale, try to pick this up for $10 at most or if PC is your platform of choice, a $5 Steam sale.

I thought this was a great game. My bf and i have been playing a level or two every day since it came out. Got most of the trophies (on the first level, lol) so just taking my time playing it. It's fun to get most of the trophy list done before the game is even released ;)

Yeah, I'm sure co-op is fun for a first playthrough, but I don't see myself bothering with it now that I've finished SP. I'd quickly get bored after a level or two, so the game is best played in bite-size chunks like you said. Can't really complain since it was free, but I'd feel miffed if I had paid full price for this thing. It's also somewhat buggy and I've had the game freeze a couple times, so it definitely feels like a rushed release.

Ah well, just a week and change until the AAA games start hitting shelves.

Beat it in a lazy afternoon? Difficult to reach scores in levels? :lol: I have 5 hours on the "total best time" clock, with about 5 levels left to go. Unless you sit there and play for 8 or 9 hours, you won't beat it in an afternoon. I've also hit the top score goal on a bunch of levels. That's because I'm exploring and not speed running my first time through. I'm also doing all the red challenge rooms. There's no shortage of gems to boost your score and you get a score bonus when you kill guys with a full relic meter, so scoring shouldn't be a problem. I'm surprised you're dying enough to hurt your chance at the score goals. I'm surprised there's a penalty for dying in this game at all, but I guess that's pretty cool...complaining that it's exploitable is lame though. So what if it's exploitable? Challenge yourself to get better, it's actually fun that way. Reloading just to "undo" your mistake sounds more like work to me.

anyway, I'm blown away by the game. Seeing that it's got full production values and essentially two different versions of the game depending on whether you go solo or co-op, i'm surprised I have about a 1/3rd of a playthrough left with 5 hours into it already. And this is just the first playthrough.

I don't usually look for replayability, but there are tougher unlocks in each stage that I'm tempted to get. Most of those have to do with speed running certain parts, which is good because I'll know a lot of the puzzle solutions the second time through. I'm also going to play it on hard combat difficulty, which is something I rarely do outside of hardcore action games. The frantic pace of the combat, along with the Ninja Gaiden/bullet hell vibes I get from some of the harder fights, are right up my alley. On top of that, I'll probably do a co-op run-through.

I think I'll have a good 15 hours+ into it when all is said and done.

The frame rate isn't always perfect and I did have it freeze once when loading a "continue" save state. There are some weird collision issues with those rolling balls, which wouldn't matter, but you lose a score multiplier/relic effect if you get hit once. Other than that, it's a pretty amazing effort for a PSN/XBLA game.

and by far the best Tomb Raider game I've played (though I haven't played Anniversary yet)

[quote name='ninja dog']Beat it in a lazy afternoon? Difficult to reach scores in levels? :lol: I have 5 hours on the "total best time" clock, with about 5 levels left to go. Unless you sit there and play for 8 or 9 hours, you won't beat it in an afternoon. I've also hit the top score goal on a bunch of levels. That's because I'm exploring and not speed running my first time through. I'm also doing all the red challenge rooms. There's no shortage of gems to boost your score and you get a score bonus when you kill guys with a full relic meter, so scoring shouldn't be a problem. I'm surprised you're dying enough to hurt your chance at the score goals. I'm surprised there's a penalty for dying in this game at all, but I guess that's pretty cool...complaining that it's exploitable is lame though. So what if it's exploitable? Challenge yourself to get better, it's actually fun that way. Reloading just to "undo" your mistake sounds more like work to me.

anyway, I'm blown away by the game. Seeing that it's got full production values and essentially two different versions of the game depending on whether you go solo or co-op, i'm surprised I have about a 1/3rd of a playthrough left with 5 hours into it already. And this is just the first playthrough.

I don't usually look for replayability, but there are tougher unlocks in each stage that I'm tempted to get. Most of those have to do with speed running certain parts, which is good because I'll know a lot of the puzzle solutions the second time through. I'm also going to play it on hard combat difficulty, which is something I rarely do outside of hardcore action games. The frantic pace of the combat, along with the Ninja Gaiden/bullet hell vibes I get from some of the harder fights, are right up my alley. On top of that, I'll probably do a co-op run-through.

I think I'll have a good 15 hours+ into it when all is said and done.

The frame rate isn't always perfect and I did have it freeze once when loading a "continue" save state. There are some weird collision issues with those rolling balls, which wouldn't matter, but you lose a score multiplier/relic effect if you get hit once. Other than that, it's a pretty amazing effort for a PSN/XBLA game.

and by far the best Tomb Raider game I've played (though I haven't played Anniversary yet)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't realize that the meter doubled as a score multiplier, but once you get the golden shotgun everything becomes so much easier. That thing is an anti-aircraft gun, seriously. Even mini-bosses can get one-shot by that thing lol. But even still a few levels are VERY hard to score high because they're usually short or absolutely require that you have a multiplier going constantly. You'll know them when you hit them.

I decided to try for the gold trophy and all unlocks, so I finished all the speed runs and I think my total time was just under 4 hours. So yeah, you can beat this in a lazy afternoon easily because I just did. I did find out that the clock never stops during a level either, even if you return to a checkpoint so you can't die at all. Not really hard to pull off once you're pretty maxed out on gear and power-ups, though.

So I'm pretty close to completing everything and it's been four days since I started playing this. For $15, I can't recommend it until the MP patch. You'll play it for a weekend, beat it, complete it, and never touch it again.

LOL, scratch that my total playtime was ONE HOUR FOURTEEN MINUTES after speed runs. I guess leaderboards only get updated hourly or something. I'm rank 6 in the US for clear time (rank 23 for total score) right now, but considering only 250 of the 1,000 people who got this free have finished the game it's not saying much. The #1 ranked clear time for this game is under an hour rofl.

Granted it's not a measure of the amount of content here, but most of the extra shit is just no-brainer challenges or collecting red skulls. Booooooooooooooring. . .

Well, just got the last trophy. That was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be completing everything. Finished with the game before it even comes out lol. If anyone needs a killer guide for finding the items you missed, this will be your bible.

FYI, 360 gets their co-op patch tomorrow and PS3 should be updated someday soon as well. Anyone who got theirs free from GameSpot want to bravely update it to see if they can still play the full game? ;)

Meant to bump this earlier, but it got lost in the holiday rush. If you haven't already, go update your game to the latest patch for co-op play. The DLC pack will also be free for a month as a gift for patience while they finished co-op and after that it will cost you w/e sum they determine if you didn't get it beforehand.

[quote name='Jodou']Meant to bump this earlier, but it got lost in the holiday rush. If you haven't already, go update your game to the latest patch for co-op play. The patch will be free for a month as a gift for patience while they finished it and after that it will cost you w/e sum they determine if you didn't get it beforehand.[/QUOTE]

you mean dlc pack 2 right ?

Oh whoops, I meant the DLC will be free haha. Yeah, the co-op patch will always be free but the DLC pack will be charged content after 30 days.

bread's done
Back