Last Remnant - $40 on Amazon

Gonna point out that this is a good deal....but people should realize the game has been tanking in the reviews. Last I looked it averaged a low 6.

After playing Inf Undiscovery (which was decent but flawed) I figured this one also wouldn't be all that great (and the fact that it's already being sold for $40 after only being out a week doesn't help :p )

[quote name='MSI Magus']Gonna point out that this is a good deal....but people should realize the game has been tanking in the reviews. Last I looked it averaged a low 6.[/quote]

ive read positive impressions and GT gave it an 8

I really thought The Last Remnant would be of high caliber.

I still might get it eventually through the January/February lull.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']ive read positive impressions and GT gave it an 8[/QUOTE]

Everything Ive read was pretty bad. Good graphics and some interesting aspects but the whole game is mindless combats for hours until you get a cut scene with some more of the story.

Yeah, no doubt that this is getting fairly average reviews. 68 so far on Metacritic. I pre-ordered this when Amazon had it up for $40 a week or two ago. Didn't get around to canceling it, and they shipped it on Saturday. Oh well.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, no doubt that this is getting fairly average reviews. 68 so far on Metacritic. I pre-ordered this when Amazon had it up for $40 a week or two ago. Didn't get around to canceling it, and they shipped it on Saturday. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Deny shipment dude!:D

These 360 RPGs are bombing quick... good thing because the last thing I need is another RPG to eat up 40 hours of my time.

Ya I am not trying to say this game is definitely bad or that this isnt a deal. Just that people probally should think over purchasing this game given questionable quality and how fast games(especially RPGs)have been dropping in price.

There was a long thread on this over a week before the game came out because it was preordering at that price as well.

When I heard all of these JRPGs would be coming to X360, I got really excited, but I've played the demos of two, and was simply overwhelmed by the combat options. I like strategy, but not that much :whistle2:/ Any of these new JRPGs a good way for a western RPG fan to ease into the genre?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']This is gonna plummet in price.

But its a hella long game..[/quote]

how long is long? 20hours+?

[quote name='Anexanhume']When I heard all of these JRPGs would be coming to X360, I got really excited, but I've played the demos of two, and was simply overwhelmed by the combat options. I like strategy, but not that much :whistle2:/ Any of these new JRPGs a good way for a western RPG fan to ease into the genre?[/quote]

Tales of Vesperia is an (quasi)action RPG and a brilliant game.

[quote name='GuardianE']Tales of Vesperia is an (quasi)action RPG and a brilliant game.[/quote]

QFT.

Regarding Last Remnant, I hear the major issue with the game is just poor coding resulting in massive slowdown during battles and the like. I'm going to hold off myself and wait for the PS3 version, where hopefully the problems will be fixed.

In the meantime, I need to refuse the shipment for my preordered Last Remnant.

Square Enix games have been dropping FAST on Amazon recently with either big, fast price drops, DOTDs, or Lightning Deals. Infinite Undiscovery, DQIV DS, Star Ocean PSP, and now this. I think, for some unexplained reason, they've been ordering way too many copies of SE titles for the demand and need to sell them off with big discounts. Even really shitty games don't drop this quickly.

A lot of new stuff are taking fast discounts/drops this year. It's an especially tough retail year, and the game industry's desire to release everything before xmas may finally be biting them in the ass. Oh well, more cheap games for me. :)

I have been playing TLR since Friday and so far it has been a lot of fun. Many of the game mechanics in the dungeons and field maps have constatly reminded me of Romancing SaGa.

The combat is turned based and uses a variation of FFXII's gambit system (the gamibts are predetermined though) to control what each union member does after you select a general command. You always have the option of checking the actions of each member before you select a command and if the situation changes the characters action may change as well.

Like I said at the beginning, the game can be a lot of fun as long as you know what you are getting into from the get go.

I think I may ship this one back as well, though it's hard to find some good reviews, especially with coding issues out there. :whistle2:s

If it's coming to the PS3, I think it might be best to wait on this one, if they'll be cleaning it up/fixing it.

[quote name='FunkyGish']I have been playing TLR since Friday and so far it has been a lot of fun. Many of the game mechanics in the dungeons and field maps have constatly reminded me of Romancing SaGa. [/quote]

When exactly has this been a good thing? I would think anything reminding you of Romancing SaGa, Unlimited Saga, or Saga Frontier would be something to run away from.

^Maybe you thought wrong? I can understand some people not liking those types of game play mechanics and that is why I warned people that they should know what they are getting into before they decide to get TLR.

I wasn't a big fan of Unlimited SaGa, but I enjoyed Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier. Really though, they should have just named TLR Remnant SaGa.

[quote name='FunkyGish']Really though, they should have just named TLR Remnant SaGa.[/QUOTE]

NO ONE would have bought it then except the 5 people who actually like SaGa games. 90% of people don't realize this game was made by the SaGa people. It's a nice little ruse Square-Enix has got going on.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']NO ONE would have bought it then except the 5 people who actually like SaGa games. 90% of people don't realize this game was made by the SaGa people. It's a nice little ruse Square-Enix has got going on.[/quote]

Is this ruse gonna work when they realize the game has a mediocre story, huge framerate issues in battle and generic characters?

[quote name='FunkyGish']^Maybe you thought wrong? I can understand some people not liking those types of game play mechanics and that is why I warned people that they should know what they are getting into before they decide to get TLR.

I wasn't a big fan of Unlimited SaGa, but I enjoyed Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier. Really though, they should have just named TLR Remnant SaGa.[/quote]

SaGa Frontier would be good if it wasn't for the fact that the enemies were ass rammingly hard for no reason and the bosses were PRAY rather then tactical. SaGa Frontier 2 was decent, but Unlimited Saga was a crime against humanity.

[quote name='Anexanhume']When I heard all of these JRPGs would be coming to X360, I got really excited, but I've played the demos of two, and was simply overwhelmed by the combat options. I like strategy, but not that much :whistle2:/ Any of these new JRPGs a good way for a western RPG fan to ease into the genre?[/quote]

Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata

Those are the best 3 JRPG's on the 360. I will put ToV and LO against FF12 or Persona 3 as best JRPG of the last 2 years.

Last Remnant, in addition to Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon, will be best enjoyed at the $20-$30 price point.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Tales of Vesperia
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata

Those are the best 3 JRPG's on the 360. I will put ToV and LO against FF12 or Persona 3 as best JRPG of the last 2 years.

Last Remnant, in addition to Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon, will be best enjoyed at the $20-$30 price point.[/quote]

Blue Dragon is like 15 bucks now I think. Save that for a last resort. Also wait for Last Remnant. And I'd say Tales of Vesperia is the top 360 rpg even if it isn't one of the best Tales of games. It's still leagues above Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey.

I also claim shenanigans by comparing LO against Persona 3. That's pure shenanigans on your part and you should be ashamed of yourself. I'd also compare ToV more against TotA.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Mine came from Amazon today. Didn't realize it came with a pre-order bonus...three additional formations.[/quote]

That's part of the reason I pre-ordered it, in addition to the fact it was at $40.
But now I'm hearing that the three bonus formations are nothing unique, and can actually be obtained in-game later on.

Taking into consideration the fact that $40 seems to be the new price point (or will easily come to that soon enough), and that reviews for this game aren't that hot, I think I might be canceling my order soon. Thankfully it hasn't shipped yet.

Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata

Last Remnant, in addition to Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon, will be best enjoyed at the $20-$30 price point.[/quote]
I've played all of those, but I don't think any of them are as good as Persona 3. LO is ok, but the story and characters are bland. Vesperia is ok, but has a button mashy battle system.

Blue Dragon is probably the bast 360 RPG so far.

PS2 is still JRPG king as far as I'm concerned though, Persona 4 is the best one coming out this year.

[quote name='seanmcc']
Blue Dragon is probably the bast 360 RPG so far.

[/quote]

I disagree, Lost Oddyssey is the best JRPG, this gen. So far. Until we the next Persona or FFXIII

Yeah, the X360 is probably the JRPG platform of choice this gen, but that really isn't saying much. I've played BD and LO, good games but nothing great. Just started ToV, and it's potentially better than those two. Have yet to play Eternal Sonata and IU though.

On the other hand, the PS3 may not have quantity but they sure do have quality in exclusives like Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles. Both aren't really like traditional JRPGs but they still qualify I guess, and the latter is arguably the best this gen so far, IMHO.

That said, PS2 is arguably the king of that genre though (sorry SNES). Just about every major JPRG series of the time was on that console - FF, Suikoden, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales, XenoSaga, etc.
I'm trying to think of any good JRPGs from last gen that weren't on the PS2 and only two come to mind so far - Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia.

Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata

Infinite Undiscovery is not to be enjoyed at any price. Its AIDS, and should be burned.

[quote name='kazunori']Yeah, the X360 is probably the JRPG platform of choice this gen, but that really isn't saying much. I've played BD and LO, good games but nothing great. Just started ToV, and it's potentially better than those two. Have yet to play Eternal Sonata and IU though.

On the other hand, the PS3 may not have quantity but they sure do have quality in exclusives like Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles. Both aren't really like traditional JRPGs but they still qualify I guess, and the latter is arguably the best this gen so far, IMHO.

That said, PS2 is arguably the king of that genre though (sorry SNES). Just about every major JPRG series of the time was on that console - FF, Suikoden, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales, XenoSaga, etc.
I'm trying to think of any good JRPGs from last gen that weren't on the PS2 and only two come to mind so far - Tales of Symphonia and Skies of Arcadia.[/quote]

Tales of Symphonia came out on PS2 in Japan. So that only leaves Skies. The fact is that the 360 gets a whole bunch of mediocre Jrpgs. No console this gen can compare to the previous generations in rpgs. The 360 has more, but a lot of them are only mediocre at best unfortuantely. The PS3 has less, but they're of obvious higher quality with Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, and a vastly improved Eternal Sonata which has an ending that finally makes sense. What is most likely going to happen is that most 360 rpgs will be ported to the PS3 and upgraded storyline wise like Eternal Sonata. Though the sad thing is that Japan has some more PS3 rpgs, that will most likely never come here. Honestly, there is too much overlap to be honest with the only true standouts being Folklore and Valkria Chronicles.

Oh god, the RPG elite hit squad is back. I think SaGa came back to rape Paco's dog this time.

I love how Square is running a ruse. Makes me think they are also running cards in a back room, counterfitting jeans and even burying bodies. LOL.

The game is far from a blockbuster. Reviews mostly reference technical issues (unreal engine), doesn't stand out from the crowd, and has a lot of grind in between what has been described as a good story. If you are interested, wait off....get more feedback, maybe another price drop. If you are hard up for a new RPG, could be worth a risk - could not be. Depends on you.

But the game likely won't jump out to violate your orifices. Maybe.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Oh god, the RPG elite hit squad is back. I think SaGa came back to rape Paco's dog this time.

I love how Square is running a ruse. Makes me think they are also running cards in a back room, counterfitting jeans and even burying bodies. LOL.

The game is far from a blockbuster. Reviews mostly reference technical issues (unreal engine), doesn't stand out from the crowd, and has a lot of grind in between what has been described as a good story. If you are interested, wait off....get more feedback, maybe another price drop. If you are hard up for a new RPG, could be worth a risk - could not be. Depends on you.

But the game likely won't jump out to violate your orifices. Maybe.[/quote]

Last Remnant took my sister's butt cherry!

6.5 from GS. The glaring issues, though, seem to be things I can live with in an RPG, like bad framerates and pop-ins. I'm still somewhat eager to check out this game's story and large battles. Unfortunately, Left 4 Dead and Resistance 2 are still in front of it on the playlist.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Oh god, the RPG elite hit squad is back. I think SaGa came back to rape Paco's dog this time.

But the game likely won't jump out to violate your orifices. Maybe.[/QUOTE]

The real winner is developers like Squarenix... with Microsoft's heavy push to get every single game out there on the 360, Square's coffers are getting bigger. Who knows, maybe it's through the cash cow that is Microsoft, developers like Squarenix turns those funds around to develop for the PS3.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']bomba.[/QUOTE]

THIS.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No.

Valkyria Chronicles.

That is all.[/QUOTE]

THIS SQUARED.

After seeing all the reviews coming in, my hopeful optimism has been dashed even more thoroughly than it was with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

Has there been any JRPG at all this generation besides Valkyria Chronicles (which was, in no small part, responsible for my recent purchase of a PS3)?

Maybe PS3 will become the JRPG machine. They have to go somewhere. The ones on 360, each of which I've been highly excited for, have all let me down quite depressingly.

I'm not too pleased with my Last Remnant purchase right now. If it were just technical problems, fine, I could definitely deal with that, but I think the gameplay issues are dealbreakers.

I feel lost in a sea of American and European games that I have to work to care about, and the genres that used to propel my enthusiasm are failing me. I haven't lost my faith in video games by any means, and I'm still having a good time, but the old spark and magic just isn't there.

Japan, please come back...

[quote name='crewj']The real winner is developers like Squarenix... with Microsoft's heavy push to get every single game out there on the 360, Square's coffers are getting bigger. Who knows, maybe it's through the cash cow that is Microsoft, developers like Squarenix turns those funds around to develop for the PS3.[/quote]

What? How is Square Enix making money? Their games have not been selling well at all, on either side of the Pacific. They're making their money on DS and (eep) Wii, not on Xbox 360.

JRPGs on the 360 are not selling well. Even Tales of Vesperia, which sold much, much more than the rest, and is probably the best game in the lot, has not sold well.

Here's to hoping Star Ocean 4 saves us (though it's hardly a traditional RPG... action battle systems all around...).

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']After seeing all the reviews coming in, my hopeful optimism has been dashed even more thoroughly than it was with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

Has there been any JRPG at all this generation besides Valkyria Chronicles (which was, in no small part, responsible for my recent purchase of a PS3)?[/quote]

I'm positive I sound like a broken record, but check out Tales of Vesperia when you get a chance if you're looking for a very well done, polished, current gen JRPG.

[quote name='GuardianE']I'm positive I sound like a broken record, but check out Tales of Vesperia when you get a chance if you're looking for a very well done, polished, current gen JRPG.[/quote]

No, I agree. I enjoyed the demo. My only beef with it might be the battle system. Everyone else adores it, but I found it rather difficult and not so fun. Prefer turn-based, which is one reason I held out hope, every single time, for first Blue Dragon, then Lost Odyssey, and now Last Rem, to be showstoppers, and each time has been a bigger letdown (the former two being good, just not great, and Last Rem, well...).

But there's really no question that Vesperia is the best JRPG on Xbox 360 this generation. I'm mad I missed it in the Gold Box yesterday!

Despite criticisms, I really like Eternal Sonata, too, although I haven't purchased it. I was waiting for the price to drop, but now that I have a PS3, I'm waiting for that version's price to drop!

Sometimes all this waiting for price drops depresses me. I'd love to support the industry and pay full price for games when they first come out, but it's just out of the question if I want to play more than one game per month.

bread's done
Back