Last Remnant - $40 on Amazon

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I feel lost in a sea of American and European games that I have to work to care about, and the genres that used to propel my enthusiasm are failing me. I haven't lost my faith in video games by any means, and I'm still having a good time, but the old spark and magic just isn't there.

Japan, please come back...[/quote]
This is the reason I am in absolutely no hurry to get a PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm still swimming in PS2 JRPGs, and the only current-gen game I'm excited about at all is Valkyria Chronicles. It's like JRPGs are just completely out to lunch this generation.

Deal dead?? I'm checking amazon and it's prices $56 :( I didn't bite when it was $40 for preorder thinking it would drop pretty quick.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This is the reason I am in absolutely no hurry to get a PS3 or Xbox 360. I'm still swimming in PS2 JRPGs, and the only current-gen game I'm excited about at all is Valkyria Chronicles. It's like JRPGs are just completely out to lunch this generation.[/QUOTE]

True. The quantity of RPG's alone on PS2 is still staggering. Not all of them great, but there were enough of great ones. In fact, a lot of the last two years good RPG's were ports to handhelds of exisitng games and a few sequels/new titles.

Here's my thing. The great thing about RPG's is you just really need a good story and battle system to be successful. With this next generation of hardware and push for innovation all the developers are trying out new tactics. Strategy in RPG's. Trying to push graphics and new/different twists to the standard turn based battle system. Which I think a lot stems from the amount of reviews I read in the past 5 years where every video games magazine would say "just another JPRG. Nothing special here. Standard, boring system - predictable story'. So they go out and try some new things with item creation/merging systems, real time battle, etc etc. Now almost no one is happy with the games. :p

Valkyria Chronicles is about the only thing to get that big buzz. Which when I first looked at it, I thought it was like Dragon Force. I see that they've added a lot of elements to it which are being well received, including ones that didn't work so well for Operation Darkness....lol.

But I won't say anything about it unless I play it. Same for Last Remnant. Jesse, return the game if you have qualms about it but to completely leave it up to everyone else? Don't fall into that mentality.

Valkyria Chronicles is considered an SRPG IMO...

Luckily I still have several JRPGs from last gen, plus remakes & ports for DS + emulators for PSP, not to mention Lost Oddesey & Blue Dragon (ToV also if I wasn't working yesterday...) so I'm not as hurt as a few of you. Still, not purchasing Last Remnant because of technical problems & nothing can piss me off as much sudden framerate-drops for no reason.

Just to jump in really quick to the ongoing conversation about the RPGs of this generation, I have to say that I'm not a fan of RPGs in the least. I honestly find them boring and tedious. With that being said, I absolutely LOVE ToV and the demo for VC. It is because of these games that my perception about RPGs has changed within the last few months and my new "To Buy" list includes at least 5 or 6 RPGs in the top 10. I will be buying LR when the price drops further simply because the RPGs for this generation have blown me away.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Valkyria Chronicles is about the only thing to get that big buzz. Which when I first looked at it, I thought it was like Dragon Force. I see that they've added a lot of elements to it which are being well received, including ones that didn't work so well for Operation Darkness....lol.[/quote]
Valkyrie Chronicles deserves every penny. Good story + good gameplay = top SRPG game. Fantastic graphics is a bonus. I played Operation Darkness and the game is not as robust or fun like Valkyria Chronicles.

Did no one play enchanted arms or is everyone here's taste just that bad? Tales of what-the-hell-ever-it-is-this-time is an ACTION-RPG. That is not a real RPG. Blue Dragon wasn't so hot, but I did finish it. I have not finished LO yet. And, well, that's about all of the true JRPGs this gen that I'm aware off. Maybe you could argue for Eternal Sonata, but that's a little too much "hit the A button"ing for my taste. Enchanted Arms is easily the best RPG this gen, and unless you're a homophobe (one of the main character is VERY gay, arguably insultingly so), I really don't see how you could think it was bad, if you like true RPGs.

[quote name='mietha']Did no one play enchanted arms or is everyone here's taste just that bad? Tales of what-the-hell-ever-it-is-this-time is an ACTION-RPG. That is not a real RPG. Blue Dragon wasn't so hot, but I did finish it. I have not finished LO yet. And, well, that's about all of the true JRPGs this gen that I'm aware off. Maybe you could argue for Eternal Sonata, but that's a little too much "hit the A button"ing for my taste. Enchanted Arms is easily the best RPG this gen, and unless you're a homophobe (one of the main character is VERY gay, arguably insultingly so), I really don't see how you could think it was bad, if you like true RPGs.[/QUOTE]

I was actually told by people on here as well as friends who are RPG fans to stay the hell away from Enchanted Arms. I've gotten too mixed reviews about that game that I've decided to just avoid the thing altogether.

[quote name='mietha']Did no one play enchanted arms or is everyone here's taste just that bad? Tales of what-the-hell-ever-it-is-this-time is an ACTION-RPG. That is not a real RPG. Blue Dragon wasn't so hot, but I did finish it. I have not finished LO yet. And, well, that's about all of the true JRPGs this gen that I'm aware off. Maybe you could argue for Eternal Sonata, but that's a little too much "hit the A button"ing for my taste. Enchanted Arms is easily the best RPG this gen, and unless you're a homophobe (one of the main character is VERY gay, arguably insultingly so), I really don't see how you could think it was bad, if you like true RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Still have that one in my backlog. Good to know that from a traditional JRPG standpoint, it's solid.

[quote name='crewj']The real winner is developers like Squarenix... with Microsoft's heavy push to get every single game out there on the 360, Square's coffers are getting bigger. Who knows, maybe it's through the cash cow that is Microsoft, developers like Squarenix turns those funds around to develop for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but the only 360 Squeenix RPG that MS funded was Infinite Undiscovery. Last Remnant is on 360 first because of technical problems with PS3 development (it's a UE3 game, after all), not because of Microsoft dollars. It's still coming to PS3, by the way. Also, your last point is just absurd.

[quote name='mietha']Did no one play enchanted arms or is everyone here's taste just that bad? Tales of what-the-hell-ever-it-is-this-time is an ACTION-RPG. That is not a real RPG. Blue Dragon wasn't so hot, but I did finish it. I have not finished LO yet. And, well, that's about all of the true JRPGs this gen that I'm aware off. Maybe you could argue for Eternal Sonata, but that's a little too much "hit the A button"ing for my taste. Enchanted Arms is easily the best RPG this gen, and unless you're a homophobe (one of the main character is VERY gay, arguably insultingly so), I really don't see how you could think it was bad, if you like true RPGs.[/quote]
Tales of Vesperia is just as much an RPG as the others you mention. Just because it has "action" in front of it instead of "turn based" or "traditional" doesn't change that. Sometimes genres evolve a bit over the course of a few decades, get used to it.

Enchanted Arms was an utterly forgettable and totally by-the-numbers RPG from what I played.

[quote name='Pck21']I was actually told by people on here as well as friends who are RPG fans to stay the hell away from Enchanted Arms. I've gotten too mixed reviews about that game that I've decided to just avoid the thing altogether.[/quote]

They only played the first 2-3 hours which I guarantee to you are boring as fuck. But, if you can slug through those first 2-4 hours of incredibly mind numbing boredom, then you will be rewarded with a fairly decent jrpg. And the gay character Makoto is one of the biggest lulz to ever happen in an rpg. Infact thanks to Makoto I rate the game as a 9/10 instead of a 7/10. Makoto is that funny.

If you are a fan of JRPGs, Valkyria Chronicles is worth getting a PS3 for. None of the exclusive RPGs combined on 360 are worth getting a 360 for IMO, all things considered (especially with the failure rates of the 360).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If you are a fan of JRPGs, Valkyria Chronicles is worth getting a PS3 for. None of the exclusive RPGs combined on 360 are worth getting a 360 for IMO, all things considered (especially with the failure rates of the 360).[/quote]

In all fairness, if Enchanted Arms was exclusive to the 360, I might have gotten one again just to play that game. Enchanted Arms is one of the lulziest rpgs I've ever played. The ending was so lulztactular that I pray every day that Enchanted Arms gets a sequel. Preferably with Makoto as the main character.

[quote name='Paco']They only played the first 2-3 hours which I guarantee to you are boring as fuck. But, if you can slug through those first 2-4 hours of incredibly mind numbing boredom, then you will be rewarded with a fairly decent jrpg. And the gay character Makoto is one of the biggest lulz to ever happen in an rpg. Infact thanks to Makoto I rate the game as a 9/10 instead of a 7/10. Makoto is that funny.[/QUOTE]

Hmm well maybe I'll try it out if I find a cheap copy somewhere then. Now, is the character actually humorous or is he "funny" because he's gay? I could care less what the sexual orientation of the characters are, I just want to play a good game.

[quote name='Pck21']Hmm well maybe I'll try it out if I find a cheap copy somewhere then. Now, is the character actually humorous or is he "funny" because he's gay? I could care less what the sexual orientation of the characters are, I just want to play a good game.[/quote]

I think the game is only about 20 new at gamestop if they still have it or 15 used at gamecrazy. And Makoto is humorous in the fact that not only is he gay, but a transvestite and he goes the extreme with the voiceacting on top of it making it some of the lulziest crap you will ever see. The love love cake and his absolute effeminate behavior make for true shenanigans. He also pulsl a MYSTERE straight out of Lunar 2 on top of it which makes it ten times more fun. And the ending. OH GOD the ending is 100% concentrated LULZ. Plus how he uses his saxamaphone to attack enemies is just funny.

All right, so I finally got around to playing this today. They were not kidding about the technical issues. First scene...slow down. First battle...slowdown. Everything does look great, though, and despite only being a few minutes into it, I am really interested in seeing where this is going. Seems like they might have created a decent fantasy world.

[quote name='mietha']Did no one play enchanted arms or is everyone here's taste just that bad? Tales of what-the-hell-ever-it-is-this-time is an ACTION-RPG. That is not a real RPG. Blue Dragon wasn't so hot, but I did finish it. I have not finished LO yet. And, well, that's about all of the true JRPGs this gen that I'm aware off. Maybe you could argue for Eternal Sonata, but that's a little too much "hit the A button"ing for my taste. Enchanted Arms is easily the best RPG this gen, and unless you're a homophobe (one of the main character is VERY gay, arguably insultingly so), I really don't see how you could think it was bad, if you like true RPGs.[/quote]

8/10, would rage again:

Just because "Tales of" series is real-time instead of turn-based doesn't mean its not a "real JRPG". Only difference is battle system & pacing, its still the same as almost every other JRPG ever made when you talk about the main plot AKA "group up to destroy evil HURR DURR!"

You know what? JRPGs shouldn't even considered "real RPGs" since you're playing as a character who already has a backstory & travels on a linear path to "destroy evil". A real RPG, which would most WRPGs & a few JRPGs, let you create your own character & find your own path through the story or even avoid it altogether & do side quests if you want. Now don't get me wrong, J > W all the way, but when you are being this much in denial you deserve to get flamed.

& you seriously have to be a troll when you consider a pos like Encharted Arms to be the best JRPG this gen. Get back under that bridge.

What happened to Square Enix? For years I have found their games somewhat boring but lately they seem to have gotten even boringer. At least they always had high quality products, what happened there?

I got about 5 hours into Enchanted Arms and didn't want to continue playing it. Its in my backlog atm (which is over 40 games large now). I bought FF12 and never played it so i am going through that now, about 13 hours in and it is wonderful, looks great upscaled to 1080i via the PS3 and then fed into my CRT Tube HDTV. I switch back and forth from MK Vs DC to FF12 and really having a good time gaming right now. Also, someone gave me Last Remnant for 5 bucks since he said its so horrible, so i'll pop it in the backlog stack.

All right, so I have gotten a little more time in with this...having found my new treadmill game, after having played the hell out of PixelJunk Monsters. Anyway, I would say that the GameSpot review hit the nail on the head perfectly: a rich fantasy world and interesting battle mechanic are nearly ruined by massive framerate issues and the fact that you never quite feel in control of your characters. The smallest of battles can crawl to a hault, so I can only imagine what is going to happen when I hit the really big affairs. Slideshow city, I think.

I'm going to post this just for the truth when people say I don't own any square turds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are Saga Frontier 1 & 2 in DVD cases?

Saga Frontier 1 & 2 were both good games when they came out. I haven't played them in 10 years and I'm sure they haven't aged well. With that said 10 years ago they were a breathe of fresh air from the train of generic console RPG that were flooding the market. Saga Frontier 2 is also a beautiful game with a great story book feel and I didn't feel ripped off one bit buying both for retail. Unlimited Saga on the other hand I bought in a bargain bin just a month or two after it came out for $10 and I felt ripped off from that confusing piece of crap.

[quote name='spoo']Why are Saga Frontier 1 & 2 in DVD cases?

Saga Frontier 1 & 2 were both good games when they came out. I haven't played them in 10 years and I'm sure they haven't aged well. With that said 10 years ago they were a breathe of fresh air from the train of generic console RPG that were flooding the market. Saga Frontier 2 is also a beautiful game with a great story book feel and I didn't feel ripped off one bit buying both for retail. Unlimited Saga on the other hand I bought in a bargain bin just a month or two after it came out for $10 and I felt ripped off from that confusing piece of crap.[/quote]

Because they look better in dvd cases. And Saga Frontier 1 was trash. It had vaguely connecting storylines at best, with enemies that go from too easy to way too fucking hard in the same area. Also bosses that regenerate 50% of their health are BULLSHIT. Saga Fronter 2 while decent the story felt unfleshed or incomplete. I really liked Gustave's storyline but Will's storyline sucked all sorts of ass and that really dragged the game down. The fact that money was hard to come buy was also a hinderance to me. Though Saga Frontier 2 isn't trash and is actually a fairly decent rpg if you ignore the parts with Will Knights in them. The graphics are pretty to be honest, but the gameplay just seemed a bit unpolished to me. Especially the dueling system.

[quote name='Paco']I'm going to post this just for the truth when people say I don't own any square turds.

[/quote]
What printer & paper do you use to make the boxarts as well as the needed resolution? :)

[quote name='Paco']Because they look better in dvd cases. And Saga Frontier 1 was trash. It had vaguely connecting storylines at best, with enemies that go from too easy to way too fucking hard in the same area. Also bosses that regenerate 50% of their health are BULLSHIT. Saga Fronter 2 while decent the story felt unfleshed or incomplete. I really liked Gustave's storyline but Will's storyline sucked all sorts of ass and that really dragged the game down. The fact that money was hard to come buy was also a hinderance to me. Though Saga Frontier 2 isn't trash and is actually a fairly decent rpg if you ignore the parts with Will Knights in them. The graphics are pretty to be honest, but the gameplay just seemed a bit unpolished to me. Especially the dueling system.[/quote]

Although the easiest thing to do would be to just agree to disagree , as a big fan of Saga Frontier , I will say the game is not trash. It does have a high learning curve and takes some understanding.

If your in an area and the enemies go from too easy to too hard within the same place , your either under trained or in the wrong place. If you properly train as you go , all the areas should offer the standard increase in difficulty as long as you go where your supposed to. Side quests are another matter however. Also a factor is the starting character you play. While T260G and Emelia are easy characters due to being strong and having linear stories , Blue , Lute and Riki are hard due to Blue and Lute's stories being 95% sidequests and Riki having hard bosses in addition to being a shitty character.

As for the bosses with regenerating health , I can't say I recall more than a couple that did any such thing , but it has been a while since I played the game.

I don't mean to further derail the thread with the Saga talk , but ever since Last Remnant was announced , all I've been hearing people say is "Don't buy Last Remnant because it's made by the guys that did the Saga series , and they all suck!" when really the only Saga game that outright sucks is Unlimited. Romancing (PS2 remake) is merely average and the others aren't really that bad. The series may have a love it/hate it relationship but that doesn't mean everyone should shit on it automatically.

That being said , I'm interested in the game , but will hold out , one for a possible cheaper price , two because have too many games to play right now anyways , and three to see whether the PS3 or rumored PC version might end up being better.

[quote name='spoo']Why are Saga Frontier 1 & 2 in DVD cases?

Saga Frontier 1 & 2 were both good games when they came out. I haven't played them in 10 years and I'm sure they haven't aged well. With that said 10 years ago they were a breathe of fresh air from the train of generic console RPG that were flooding the market. Saga Frontier 2 is also a beautiful game with a great story book feel and I didn't feel ripped off one bit buying both for retail. Unlimited Saga on the other hand I bought in a bargain bin just a month or two after it came out for $10 and I felt ripped off from that confusing piece of crap.[/quote]
When I was younger, I never really said any games were bad. I had favorites, of course, but I would put hours into games like X-Men (NES) and Beyond the Beyond because I just loved playing games. I can't even count all the terrible games I put a lot of hours into because I rented them and just went off all weekend. I was just happy to have a controller in my hand and sprites/polygons on my screen.

Even then, I knew Saga Frontier was utter garbage.

bread's done
Back