Left 4 Dead 2 PC $39.99 shipped @ Newegg

Going to wait to see if amazon price matches. want to use that 20 dollar game credit from mw2.

Too bad it's not the 360 version. But KMart & Best Buy will have that for $39.99 & $34.99, respectively.

i'd buy it right now if BF wasnt around the corner, will wait for BF, if no deals then Newegg gets my $.

i love steam, but no way am i paying full price for a game on steam (10% discount is moot) and not get any physical goodies in return.

why the hell are people so obsessed with playing/watching stuff the DAY ITS OUT. like you guys dont have library collections and backlogs to keep your time for another couple days and save $ doing so.

also LOL @ guy who calls this an expansion. ignorance is a bliss i guess.

[quote name='postulio']also LOL @ guy who calls this an expansion. ignorance is a bliss i guess.[/QUOTE]
I tried the demo; nothing impressed me as something that couldn't have been added to the original. In fact, I didn't like most of the new additions since it just complicates the simple formula of the first game TBH. I'd rather have the original cast as well. :\

[quote name='Jodou']I tried the demo; nothing impressed me as something that couldn't have been added to the original. In fact, I didn't like most of the new additions since it just complicates the simple formula of the first game TBH. I'd rather have the original cast as well. :\[/QUOTE]

I have the game on 360 and I agree with you on some of the additions. The game is harder I think which is fine, but some things I'm not quite sure of yet..and IMO it could've passed off as an expansion..

[quote name='Jodou']Will wait for a $20 sale. It's not worth more than that for an expansion IMO.[/QUOTE]
it's not an expansion.

the graphics are better, the zombies can be damaged more specifically now. like shooting off a leg, chopping off an arm, etc.. and that doesn't instantly kill them either. ive been attacked by more than a couple one armed zombies so far.

melee weapons really has you playing the game different too now. plus there are even more guns (& rocket launchers), laser sights, explosive bullets, pyro bullets, adrenaline shots, boomer bile, etc..

not to mention the new special infected which have you using different strategies.

the levels are also very well done. and the new weather effects really add tension. hard rain takes place during a storm. and as soon as the winds pick up and it starts thundering the zombies go berserk. tons of fun.

[quote name='TURBO']it's not an expansion.

the graphics are better, the zombies can be damaged more specifically now. like shooting off a leg, chopping off an arm, etc.. and that doesn't instantly kill them either. ive been attacked by more than a couple one armed zombies so far.

melee weapons really has you playing the game different too now. plus there are even more guns (& rocket launchers), laser sights, explosive bullets, pyro bullets, adrenaline shots, boomer bile, etc..

not to mention the new special infected which have you using different strategies.

the levels are also very well done. and the new weather effects really add tension. hard rain takes place during a storm. and as soon as the winds pick up and it starts thundering the zombies go berserk. tons of fun.[/QUOTE]
You guys keep looking at the game as a complete package, but I only see things that could have slowly been rolled out over the course of a year to the original. Instead, we got two new campaign maps and a horde mode. /yawn

Shit, even modders were able to add incendiary rounds, laser sights, etc and I've played a couple of servers that used it. And the graphics argument is pretty moot: we're talking about the age-old source engine after all. I love L4D, but I just burned out playing No Mercy over and over because the game wasn't supported. Expansion or not, the game is dead to me right now.

[quote name='DKYang']Not to threadcrap, but....

This will be $30 from Gamestop on BF. Yes, it's the PC version. So might as well wait since it's right around the corner.

http://bfads.net/GameStop/Name/Page2

Scroll down and look for it.[/QUOTE]
nice find. ill be pickin up a couple copies for gifts at that price. :D

[quote name='Jodou']You guys keep looking at the game as a complete package, but I only see things that could have slowly been rolled out over the course of a year to the original. Instead, we got two new campaign maps and a horde mode. /yawn

Shit, even modders were able to add incendiary rounds, laser sights, etc and I've played a couple of servers that used it. And the graphics argument is pretty moot: we're talking about the age-old source engine after all. I love L4D, but I just burned out playing No Mercy over and over because the game wasn't supported. Expansion or not, the game is dead to me right now.[/QUOTE]
Look at the speed at which TF2 content was rolled out. It's about the same pace for L4D. they will continue supporting L4D for a long time, just like they said. But they will ALSO continue to support L4D2. so by having both you get twice as many updates.

p.s.
  • L4D2 really does feel like a diff game. in the way you play w/ the new weapons (which also has to do w/ the AI director being improved),
  • to the improved gore (the zombies bodies deform so many ways depending on how you attack them and with what),
  • to the new weather effects & graphics (& saying this is "just source engine" is BS. Source Engine has constantly been improved w/ every game. Do you really think L4D looked like HL2? no. There's a reason mods like Cinematic Mod for HL2 require u have up to Ep 2; because the engine kept getting improved)
  • to the settings in the south, to the new chars & their personalities/history, etc..
there is no way this much content would have been released in a year as updates. no way.

there are about 3 times as many weapons & 5 new campaigns, not to mention all the new infected. off the top of my head the new ones i've found so far, Charger, Jockey, Spitter, Wandering Witch, Mudmen, Hazmat CEDA, Riot Gear, Clown & Carnie zombies.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Can you just enter the CD Key into Steam and let the game download and install?[/QUOTE]
well i installed orange box w/ the dvds.

but when i formatted & reinstalled steam a year later, i couldnt find my discs, so just clicked on TF2 and it downloaded & installed it. so probably yes.

[quote name='TURBO']Look at the speed at which TF2 content was rolled out. It's about the same pace for L4D. they will continue supporting L4D for a long time, just like they said. But they will ALSO continue to support L4D2. so by having both you get twice as many updates.[/QUOTE]
Was that a joke? I'd have killed for as many new map packs, silly hat content, class updates, etc that TF2 got. L4D didn't get even 1/10 of that in an entire year. Lol @ twice as many updates; I'd rather they stick to one game and get twice as many updates for that. By Valve's standards, we would have got a whopping two new campaigns all year! Terrible.

Look, all I'm saying is I didn't want or need a sequel. I liked the first game enough to play it a year straight before burning out. Had we been thrown a few new weapons here and there (like they said they would, but NEVER did) plus a few new versus maps every couple of months, we'd have been in heaven. I tried many of the user created maps, but none were made for versus and most weren't anything special. Oh well, guess there's always BFBC2 to look forward to.

[quote name='Jodou']Was that a joke? I'd have killed for as many new map packs, silly hat content, class updates, etc that TF2 got. L4D didn't get even 1/10 of that in an entire year. Lol @ twice as many updates; I'd rather they stick to one game and get twice as many updates for that. By Valve's standards, we would have got a whopping two new campaigns all year! Terrible.

Look, all I'm saying is I didn't want or need a sequel. I liked the first game enough to play it a year straight before burning out. Had we been thrown a few new weapons here and there (like they said they would, but NEVER did) plus a few new versus maps every couple of months, we'd have been in heaven. I tried many of the user created maps, but none were made for versus and most weren't anything special. Oh well, guess there's always BFBC2 to look forward to.[/QUOTE]

a whole campaign is a lot bigger than a single map. it's the same thing as a map pack (many of those maps btw are community submissions aka modders). and how are they going to update classes? are zombies gunna start using guns? they didnt add new classes to TF2 they just added secondary guns/equipment. and the inital TF2 updates were slower then they are now because they were working on the SDK & map editor (just like valve has been for L4D). i think it was 7 months before the first update to TF2 w/ goldrush. it was, what, 9 months before the L4D campaign? not that diff. Valve said they will give L4D at least as much support as they've given to TF2, & they have no history of making false-promises; so you'll just have to believe them (or not).

plus, 5 campaigns is a lot of new content imo. i dont play much versus & never did in the first one (though i find charger really fun in 2). so i welcome the addition of so many new campaigns. & will continue to play the first one too as each campaign is different and going back to one after a while is nostalgic. but there is enough stuff in 2 to justify a whole new game IMO. it's more diff from L4D than MW2 is from CoD4, yet nobody says anything about MW2 (except about how bad pings are & the lack of mods/kicking).

[quote name='TURBO']a whole campaign is a lot bigger than a single map. it's the same thing as a map pack (many of those maps btw are community submissions aka modders). . .[/QUOTE]
The fact of the matter is their best new ideas went into L4D2. I only care about versus modes, so the addition of survival mode lasted all of a day for me before being bored. The new campaign, Crash Course, wasn't very fun in terms of versus despite being supposedly crafted with versus in mind (short, 30 minute games). The problem with such a short playthrough lead to it being a one map game. If a team lost in points on the first map as survivors, they'd all rage quit because the finale was almost never completed.

What they should have done was explored new versus modes and added new guns, but all of that went into the moneygrab. Even some of the fucking bug fixes went into the sequel and are they available for L4D? Noooooooooooope. The list just goes on and then I saw TF2 get a sweet, sweet event just for the Halloween weekend. Yet a game that would have been PERFECT for a Halloween event saw nothing. That's sad.

Valve has trained us to expect great, free DLC with TF2 and then fell way short with L4D. I never enjoyed TF2 like I did L4D, so it made it all that much more painful. Am I entitled to anything? No, but I can't help but feel Left 4 Dead lives up to the name.

[quote name='Jodou']The fact of the matter is their best new ideas went into L4D2. I only care about versus modes, so the addition of survival mode lasted all of a day for me before being bored. The new campaign, Crash Course, wasn't very fun in terms of versus despite being supposedly crafted with versus in mind (short, 30 minute games). The problem with such a short playthrough lead to it being a one map game. If a team lost in points on the first map as survivors, they'd all rage quit because the finale was almost never completed.

What they should have done was explored new versus modes and added new guns, but all of that went into the moneygrab. Even some of the fucking bug fixes went into the sequel and are they available for L4D? Noooooooooooope. The list just goes on and then I saw TF2 get a sweet, sweet event just for the Halloween weekend. Yet a game that would have been PERFECT for a Halloween event saw nothing. That's sad.

Valve has trained us to expect great, free DLC with TF2 and then fell way short with L4D. I never enjoyed TF2 like I did L4D, so it made it all that much more painful. Am I entitled to anything? No, but I can't help but feel Left 4 Dead lives up to the name.[/QUOTE]So you admit that L4D2 has enough changes to warrant a sequel. you're juts upset it's not getting the same kind of mulitplayer updates as TF2 is getting? L4D is first & foremost a co-op survival game. the versus is nice, but not the main selling point imo. you disagree, so maybe thats why your perspective is different than mine. regardless, i think the reason L4D doesnt get the same kind of updates is TF2 is intended to be comedic & comicy. L4D is supposed to have a realistic (i know) atmosphere. p.s. what are the bugs L4D2 fixed that L4D has?

[quote name='TURBO']So you admit that L4D2 has enough changes to warrant a sequel. you're juts upset it's not getting the same kind of mulitplayer updates as TF2 is getting? L4D is first & foremost a co-op survival game. the versus is nice, but not the main selling point imo. you disagree, so maybe thats why your perspective is different than mine. regardless, i think the reason L4D doesnt get the same kind of updates is TF2 is intended to be comedic & comicy. L4D is supposed to have a realistic (i know) atmosphere. p.s. what are the bugs L4D2 fixed that L4D has?[/QUOTE]
That's where we differ then, because the co-op modes pale in comparison to PvP. The game would have been dead after month without PvP IMO. L4D2 has enough changes that could have been put in the original, but from a technical standpoint it was just easier for Valve to create a sequel rather than support the original though.

I don't care what kind of updates TF2 gets, the point is it does get regular updates. That may change now that L4D2 is out, but so far we haven't heard a damn thing since Crash Course left us yawning almost two months ago.

[quote name='Jodou']That's where we differ then, because the co-op modes pale in comparison to PvP. The game would have been dead after month without PvP IMO. L4D2 has enough changes that could have been put in the original, but from a technical standpoint it was just easier for Valve to create a sequel rather than support the original though.

I don't care what kind of updates TF2 gets, the point is it does get regular updates. That may change now that L4D2 is out, but so far we haven't heard a damn thing since Crash Course left us yawning almost two months ago.[/QUOTE]speak for yourself, i enjoyed Crash Course a lot. I also have been playing it co-op since it's launch. with so many new games i play, L4D is one i always come back to at least once a week and play a random camp w/ friends in co-op.

as for the updates, like i said the first TF2 one wasnt for like 7 months after it's release, and L4D's was like 9 months. not that diff. it only seems like TF2 is doing it more because TF2 picked up the pace of updates after they finished working on all the mod tools & SDK for release. Just like L4D will.

meh I've seen so many people with issues with L4D2 over on the steam boards..like a ton of people getting crash to desktop errors..what's up with that? I don't want to activate my copy afraid it will get screwed, so playing it on my 360. I don't think it's as good, nor worth the price tag, but like all of the above, it's my opinion.

[quote name='jamesesdad']http://www.destructoid.com/think-l4d2-is-an-expansion-you-re-a-f-cking-idiot-155498.phtml

Pretty much a counter point to everything the "l4d2 is an expansion" people are saying. You sound like a bunch of spoiled children.[/QUOTE]
Let's all link random articles rather than form our own opinions! I'm certainly spoiled by Valve, which is why I'm disappointed with how L4D turned out one year later. Oh and L4D2 is still an expansion.

There is nothing random about the article, your first post on this topic was that the asking price was too much for an expansion, its topic happens to be EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT (i.e not random). I happen to share the opinions of the author which is exactly why I posted the link (saving myself time and energy). But hey you made some really valid points, like you are spoiled... and thats about it.... By your metric then, gears of war 2, modern warfare 2, and uncharted 2 are simply expansions. I don't see how offering more game content than the original game makes this an expansion with changes that could have been rolled out over time. Just because you aren't satisfied with the changes to the gameplay or the fact that valve didn't take more than a year to release this game aren't acceptable reasons to label this an expansion. If they charged 6 dollars per new campaign, 3 dollars pre new special infected, 1 dollar per new weapon or item or mode, we would be at well over 50 dollars if all this content was made available as DLC or an expansion. The fact of the matter is they built all new art assets for the pre existing character models, completely overhauled the A.I director, added new special infected, and uncommon commons, new weapons, new inventory items, branching level design, dynamic weather, decapitation, and new game modes. Your opinion are almost completely unfounded, and it seems pretty clear you are here to troll and not have a real conversation, get back to your bridge, no more food for you!

A) You need to lighten up and stop taking this so seriously.

B) I call it an expansion because much of what they promised to support L4D with only materialized in the so called sequel.

bread's done
Back