Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I love reading the messages on safehouse walls. Some are serious, some are just downright hillarious.[/quote]

the one about the guy killing zombies bare handed.

then right below it saying he died to friendly fire.

i laughed for like five minutes lool

So did some people get porked by Amazon? Mine was supposed to come on the 19th but the shipping notification said the 18th and sure as shit it showed up today. Where'd you order from Chronotrigga?

This game is the main reason I bought a 360 and playing it today reaffirms this. Nothing beats fighting the zombie horde with your best friends.

Pure gaming bliss.

I REALLY want to play this! The demo was awesome w/ friends. Never got old. Will try to get for cheap or my birthday in a couple of weeks.

The only thing I don't like about the game: The lighting system sucks compared to other titles like Half-Life 2. With a calibrated TV, the default "TV" mode is too washed out and lacks contrast. Switching to Computer as the in-game display mode brings back the black level but creates too much black crush. There is also no test card type image to calibrate the black levels. On top of that the flashlight is terrible. It's either an unrealistic perfect circle of light (instead of a radial gradient pattern like a real flashlight) or has very little effect on brightening your surroundings.

Maybe I have to mix and match the display mode and brightness but it's tough when there are no gamma level test images, not even the most basic "adjust until the darkest bar is barely visible" kind of stuff. Having the brightness set correctly makes this game 100x creepier but if it's too dark you have trouble seeing much at all.

EDIT: I'd also kill for an iron sights view with slight zoom for distance shots and something nicer than those 90s style crosshairs. I keep swatting at thin air because I'm so accustomed to left trigger being for a zoomed-in view.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ONLY thing that could make this game better is an iron sights view. I finished up three of the four campaigns tonight and it was a complete blast with co-workers. I also racked up like 12 or 13 achievements.. fun times.

I love this game, I am so glad I pre-ordered it.

Nothing beats, sitting around trying to strategize the groups next move and then all of a sudden a vomiter pukes on one of you and the horde comes flying at you out of nowhere... haha.

Wow, the game dropping seemed to stagnate this thread. I've got it coming in the mail, I really assumed CAGers would flock to this.

[quote name='specialk']Wow, the game dropping seemed to stagnate this thread. I've got it coming in the mail, I really assumed CAGers would flock to this.[/QUOTE]
CAGers? That word sounds so dirty for some reason. When are you getting your copy specialk?

If anyone wants to play tonight add me on live or pm me. I just got it and really wanna try it but don't feel like playing with random people. Anyone down?

Hey Dead Rising fans... anyone catch the achievement in Left 4 Dead very similar to a Dead Rising achievment?

Left 4 Dead

Zombie Genocidest
Kill 53,595 Infected.
G_Icon_External.gif

Dead Rising

Zombie Genocider20
gp-g.jpg
TYPE: 1 Play REQ: Defeat at least 53,594 zombies.

hmm I am looking for some people know how to work in team to clear Co-op in expert. If any of you pros out there interested add me on XBL.

Is there any story at all? It seems to me to be just Counter-Strike with zombies. I love a great zombie game, but I like a story. Does it talk about how the characters back stories? Do you get to see how the infection started? Is there any conspiracy? Is there any depth?

To anyone who has this, is it worth picking up if I can only play online during the summer and vacations? The internet here is atrocious. It takes 45 minutes to download a three minute video, so naturally, online gaming is out of the question, but I DL'd the demo and I love it.

[quote name='electronicthroat']Is there any story at all? It seems to me to be just Counter-Strike with zombies. I love a great zombie game, but I like a story. Does it talk about how the characters back stories? Do you get to see how the infection started? Is there any conspiracy? Is there any depth?[/QUOTE]No, none of that. At the most the characters will randomly say things about themselves or ask other characters about them at certain times.

Like you said, it's Counter-Strike with zombies. That's not a knock against it. The game is just about you surviving, just like Counter-Strike was about completing whatever objective the map had.

You're left to fill in whatever background lore you want. ;)

Damn me and my friends can not beat the hospital level. When you have to wait for to get picked up on the roof. Been on this part for like an hour.

[quote name='dragonsho']CAGers? That word sounds so dirty for some reason. When are you getting your copy specialk?

If anyone wants to play tonight add me on live or pm me. I just got it and really wanna try it but don't feel like playing with random people. Anyone down?[/QUOTE]

It says it's shipped, so I'm expecting Friday or Sat.

I'm down to play when I get it GT - uber K

[quote name='Soodmeg']Damn me and my friends can not beat the hospital level. When you have to wait for to get picked up on the roof. Been on this part for like an hour.[/QUOTE]

That's the easiest finale, too.

Just hop on top of the roof when you come up the stairs.. it gives you a better vantage point.

It was awesome, though, me and three other people last night.. the helicopter touched down, two got jumped by the hunter and one got punched by the tank. I yelled "LEEEEERRRRROOOOOYYYYY!!!!!" and jumped off the roof, on the ground, ran towards the helicopter (shoving zombies out of the way all the way there) and made it on the helicopter with like 10% of health left. It was pretty epic.

[quote name='help1']Guys, I heard the demo was limited time only, is that true?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess it's gone 'cause I can't find it on the marketplace.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Yeah, I guess it's gone 'cause I can't find it on the marketplace.[/quote]

Damn it! They should at least have it up for the weekend, since the casual gamer won't find out about games until after the release date.

I'll be adding that gamertag!

Loving Left 4 Dead and would like to play with some CAGs. Send me a friend request if you want to play!

I'll send some requests to some of the most active members here too.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']Hey Dead Rising fans... anyone catch the achievement in Left 4 Dead very similar to a Dead Rising achievment?

Left 4 Dead

Zombie Genocidest
Kill 53,595 Infected.
G_Icon_External.gif

Dead Rising

Zombie Genocider20
gp-g.jpg
TYPE: 1 Play REQ: Defeat at least 53,594 zombies.[/quote]

Yeah also Louis kinda looks like Brad a little bit, too (but a little skinnier).

BTW, how is the 360 version? I played the Steam demo, but I just got notification that GameFly is shipping me the 360 version. Though pity I don't have XBL Gold anymore so I won't be playing online. :(

I've put a few hours into this the last couple of nights, and I'm really having a blast (even though I've been playing single-player). I'm a little disappointed at how linear the routes are, but I definitely think I'll get my money's worth out of this. I had hoped you'd have to play through each movie a few times to really see everything. Still, they're the perfect length to just pick up and plow through. I'm taking Friday off, so I'll be available to play anytime during the day.

[quote name='help1']Guys, I heard the demo was limited time only, is that true?[/quote]

They said the demo would only be active until the game was released, then its servers would be shifted towards hosting retail matches. If you already had it, singleplayer would still work even after release.

This game is siiiiiiiick.

I misread the comments earlier. I thought the ENTIRE game took 2 hours to beat, not just the movies. Since there's 4 movies, that's about 8 or so hours. Not bad considering I'll probably play through them a few times.

Also, versus mode is fucking baller.

Good shit last night Joe. I dont know what happened it seems that we all got booted for some odd reason.

I find that happens every once and a while on this game.

Infected vs. Humans is so much fun... haha.

Nothing like puking all over the humans and then trying to get your fat ass to run away so you don't get shot the fuck up, haha.

This game sounds pretty bad ass. Is the online multiplayer fun? I play a lot of COD online, so how does this compare to that on the fun factor level?

[quote name='crave132']This game sounds pretty bad ass. Is the online multiplayer fun? I play a lot of COD online, so how does this compare to that on the fun factor level?[/quote]

I think COD is better in a different way... but L4D is better in another way.

COD is much more competitive in the fact that the majority of the people try to rank up and pad stats.

L4D is just a good time, having fun either killing humans or killing the infected. Stats aren't really a factor at all.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Jesus Christ the hunter/smoker combo is brutal.

God damn.[/QUOTE]I hate playing as Smoker. So easy for Hunters to steal my kill after I reel them in. :bomb:

Played through the first two missions with random ppl on Live.. and had a blast. I keep getting booted off in Versus mode though..or is it the servers? The achievements too are fun as you'd expect from Valve.

LMAO

Got the "Kill 4 survivors as a tank" holy god thats hard..

but for anyone trying..

NO MERCY : CHAPTER 1

its luck.. hopefully a survivor tries running ahead and triggers you to spawn as the tank.. it takes roughly 2-3 hits to knock someone down.

you dont need to kill them, j ust knock all 4 down to where they need to be revived.

they took the demo down? that's really fucking stupid. guess I won't be buying this after all.

I'm so mad I could almost write a letter. . .almost.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']they took the demo down? that's really fucking stupid. guess I won't be buying this after all.

I'm so mad I could almost write a letter. . .almost.[/quote]
What a terrible reason not to play a game. Anyways, I fuckING LOVE THIS GAME! Me and two friends have been playing through the first three "films" on advanced and it is hard as balls. It's funny how we yell at each other though. Can't wait to try online. Add me people please.

can you play split screen with others? i doubt i buy this if it absolutely requires online multiplayer. is the online aspect cross-platform?

bread's done
Back