Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'll buy it. I know I'll play it more than a couple times.

Oddly, my favorite thing about L4D is the little touches that the creators put in that make it seem like a fucking zombie apocalypse. The desperate scribblings on the walls, the wrecked and abandoned cars, the remnants of a world being cut down. It's all just so chilling, I'll happily pay to see more of that stuff. I've enjoyed pretty much every Resident Evil game but none of them captured the chaos of the end days nearly as well as L4D does.

Honestly if it was up to Valve it would have been free but our buddies at microsoft are forcing them to put a price on it. Heck they even wanted to charge for the survival pack. So blame good old microsoft for that.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']It does however make me wonder if they will pull a "Behemoth" and give away a ton of codes for DLC for free.[/QUOTE]

you sir have brought up a good point and I will now wait a little while before picking up the DLC

[quote name='yukafls']HELL NO, I thought the dlc campaign was free. No way would i pay for one map that i would probably beat in 1 hour[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't judge L4D maps based on how long they take to beat, but how many times you'll replay them online.

I agree that it sucks that it costs money, but unfortunately that was Microsoft's call and not Valve's. I'll wait til I get L4D2 probably in case it's packed in with it.

The new achievements are on Xbox.com.

Crash-proof
Survive the Crash Course Campaign.

Quick Power
Restart the generator within 30 seconds of it shutting off in the Crash Course campaign.

The Littlest Genocide
Kill 5,359 Infected in the Crash Course campaign.

Smash Hit
Win a Versus campaign of Crash Course.

Truck Stop
Your team wipes all Survivors after the escape vehicle has opened in Crash Course.

20 Car Pile-up
As a Tank hit 20 Survivors with a car in the Crash Course campaign.

Jumpin' Jack Smash
Pounce a Survivor for 25 points of damage in the Crash Course campaign.

Slippery Pull
Smoker pull a bile-covered Survivor until you hold him during Crash Course.

Tank Stumble
Stun a Tank with an explosion in the Crash Course campaign.

Wipefest
Your team incapacitates three Survivors within five seconds in the Crash Course campaign.

Was it ever confirmed if L4D2 will be backwards compatible to allow you to play L4D1 without switching disks?

I want as much L4D content as possible but I dont know if I would buy this a month before the new game comes out.

New L4D stuff comes out tomorrow, right? I have points waiting. Will keep me busy til november.
Well, probably not, but, I have a huge backlog anyway.

wait wtf it's 800 points? what happened to 560?

edit: OK according to Major Nelson twitter it's a pricing error and he advises not to buy until price is fixed.

Also, on Xbox.com Marketplace it does show for 560 MSP but when you click to buy it still comes up as 800 MSP.

[quote name='HydroX']fuck, too late. I already bought it. I demand a refund![/QUOTE]

that sucks man lol I hope they give you a refund but the way Major Nelson was advising not to purchase it until MS fixed it I don't know if they will lol.

[quote name='Galego23']that sucks man lol I hope they give you a refund but the way Major Nelson was advising not to purchase it until MS fixed it I don't know if they will lol.[/QUOTE]

lol well not everyone sees Major Nelson's twitter. I never looked at it until it was posted in this thread. I doubt they will refund it but I'll still be able to throw a bitchfit to MS, so that should be fun/irritating.

Is there any way to get small amounts of gamer points? I currently have 550 points and I need 10 more to get the DLC. MSFT really pisses me off with this point system and their random amounts. I'm glad that it is cheaper though.

i dunno if this has been updated, but the pricing has officially changed as of about 20 minutes ago, because i bought crash course then and it was down to 560. so no need to worry about the wrong price anymore.

I think the pricing has been fixed a good hour or to ago.. at least on xbox. com and as for getting a small amount of points I tihnk 1600 is the least you can get.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Any fix for the resets on the achievement progress screen?[/QUOTE]

Ugh...this does not sound promising. :cry:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Any fix for the resets on the achievement progress screen?[/QUOTE]

what fix? there is nothing wrong with achievements what so ever.. no one lost their gamerscore and/or Zombie Kills and the achievements only appeared unlock when you looked at the achievements from the in-game menu.,

Nothing wrong whatsoever? The progress screen was totally wiped. I'd say that's pretty clearly a bug in the latest patch even if it didn't actually prevent achievements from unlocking correctly.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nothing wrong whatsoever? The progress screen was totally wiped. I'd say that's pretty clearly a bug in the latest patch even if it didn't actually prevent achievements from unlocking correctly.[/QUOTE]

Re-read what I said, it didn't effect your gamerscore, any achievements you had already earned, and your kill total. What's so hard to understand?

Yes, so what it showed your achievements as being locked from the L4D menu if you go to your achievement list via the Xbox Guide they were/are still there.

[quote name='Galego23']Re-read what I said, it didn't effect your gamerscore, any achievements you had already earned, and your kill total. What's so hard to understand?

Yes, so what it showed your achievements as being locked from the L4D menu if you go to your achievement list via the Xbox Guide they were/are still there.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I said in the first place. :) "Resets on the achievement progress screen." Didn't say anything about gamerscore. Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else?

[quote name='Outinthedark']So uh how about someone chime in on why this "Campaign" has only 2 chapters?[/QUOTE]

valve said they wanted to make a campaign you could complete in 30 minutes. thus...........2 chapters.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']That's exactly what I said in the first place. :) "Resets on the achievement progress screen." Didn't say anything about gamerscore. Maybe you have me mixed up with someone else?[/QUOTE]

I think it's just a minor bug. Half of my in game achievements were wiped too. But after I played the campaign again I got all my progress back.

[quote name='Galego23']I think the pricing has been fixed a good hour or to ago.. at least on xbox. com and as for getting a small amount of points I tihnk 1600 is the least you can get.[/QUOTE]

Try 400 points if you are purchasing. You can sometimes find McDonalds Subway and other random retailers giving away points 100 at a time.

I love the new mini campaign. It's hard as hell to get all 4 people to survive in versus against a semi competent opposing team. Worth the $7 even with the few glitches i've encountered so far. :applause:

I'm looking for some crash course action and playing with randoms is not doing it for me, add me if your interested!

[quote name='Deadpool']Try 400 points if you are purchasing. You can sometimes find McDonalds Subway and other random retailers giving away points 100 at a time. [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't exactly call buying a sandwich or a value meal as "giving away" points. You have to purchase a product to actually get the "free points."

[quote name='draven1089']any one know if they're or when they're going to be fixing the ACH glitch for crash course[/QUOTE]
Someone on the xbox360achievements.com forums emailed Valve, and they said they were readying a patch, but it had to go through Microsoft's approval process first.

For those of you, like myself, who find Expert to be not that hard at all

Valve Left 4 Dead 2 Gets "Realism" Mode For Hardcore Zombie Killers

By Michael McWhertor, 2:40 PM on Thu Oct 8 2009, 30,298 views (Edit, to draft, Slurp) Copy this whole post to another site
Slurp cancel
progressIndicator_roller.gif

select site advertising consumerist deadspin defamer fleshbot gay fleshbot gawker gizmodo idolator io9 jalopnik jezebel kotaku lifehacker valleywag artists gawkershop sploid

For players who find "expert" difficulty too easy in Left 4 Dead, it appears that Valve is upping the challenge for the sequel with "Realism" mode, a game modifier that made an unplanned appearance last night.
The folks at 1UP spotted the Realism modifier nestled away in one of the game's options, then squeezed Valve for details. According to marketing VP Doug Lombardi, Realism is designed for the Left 4 Dead 2 player more skilled, more masochistic than Valve's own testers.
How it's different, exactly, Lombardi wouldn't elaborate. But one might assume that Realism makes the infected in L4D2 act more like their real-world counterparts, requiring headshots to properly dispatch of the game's zombie hordes. That's just a guess, though.
Valve's other Left 4 Dead 2 reveal from last night's event, the "Scavenge" gameplay mode, can be read in more detail. With the game due out November 17th, expect Realism and the rest of the game's well-kept secrets to be revealed soon.
Left 4 Dead 2 Preview [1UP]

We've been heard.

I'm interested in this game, but not in paying full price for the sequel. My question, will you still be able to play the original online once the new version is out... and will there be anyone to play it with?

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm interested in this game, but not in paying full price for the sequel. My question, will you still be able to play the original online once the new version is out... and will there be anyone to play it with?[/QUOTE]

According to Valve, they will NOT stop supporting left 4 dead.

Left 4 Dead will have it's own community and Left 4 Dead 2 will have theirs.

Regarding the Crash Course achievements, the campaign achievements shouldn't be glitched at all. To obtain the versus achievements you need to disconnect from Xbox Live and create a lobby with system link. Currently system link is the only way to unlock Jumpin' Jack Flash and Smash Hit, possibly others as well. I got Wipefest in my first legit game of Crash Course versus and that was less than a week ago. The only achievement that might currently be unachievable is Slippery Pull because you can't do it in system link and I have tried split screen, as well as with a friend in private, public, and friends only matces and could never get it to unlock.

[quote name='freshzen']Currently system link is the only way to unlock Jumpin' Jack Flash and Smash Hit.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. I have both and got them in online matches. It seems that they are glitched sometimes for some people .. and it seems totally random, but I got all of the ones I have by just playing online like I usually do.

I got some on day one but after that I'm not able to get any and my zombie count keeps resetting, Grrrrrrrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you all are more or less wrong.. the achievements aren't showing up because probably you are doing quick match and joining an "in-progress" match. Achievements will not unlock for a person joining an "in-progress" match a glitch they patched due to the "dashboard glitch."

bread's done
Back