Legend Of Grimrock: Best $13.50 you will spend if Dungeon Crawl means anything to you

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Update 2: More than half-way through now. In all honesty, if you remember and liked Dungeon Master there is no reason not to buy this now. I've been waiting for so long for a game to capture the spirit of this genre, and this is it. You can make the game as hard or as easy as you want, and it is clear this game is a passion for the devs. Download and enjoy.

Update:
The game has been released. There is still a 10% discount via the dev's website. $13.50 nets you a Steam Key AND DRM free download!

Also available on Steam and Good Old Games.

I have been playing for just about two hours now and all I can say is that if you know what "party of four dungeon crawl" means, this game is for you. Its tough and you can turn on hard mode that turns off the auto-map feature! You know, so you can pull out your graph paper.

OP:
The Legend of Grimrock is currently up for pre-order at $11.99 via the game web-site. The game will be released today [11th] so I'm not sure how long that will last. The pre-order comes with some digital download goodies including good 'ole fashioned graph paper for mapping your crawl.

linky-linky: Legend of Grimrock

Game available via dev web-site [see link], GOG, and Steam.

Buy from the dev at $11.99 and receive DRM-Free version AND Steam Key.
[thanks Keithp and Danstabbingworth!

The game will be released at 1 p.m. EST. I would imagine you can "preorder" up until then...

countdown link

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't even know this existed so thanks for the heads up, OP. Reminds me of the first Lands of Lore which I spent a ton of time playing back in the day. Definitely in for one especially after seeing the reviews.

This game looks really awesome. I'd be glad to support these guys and save a few bucks in the process!

Apparently it is releasing 5pm UTC which also happens to coincide with Valve's standard 10am PST standard launch time.

I jumped in after talking myself into it. RockPaperShotgun gave it a glowing review last week (link) which, looking back at it, convinced me.

Releases at 6pm GMT, which means a full evening's gaming, woot!

Sooo...they are working with Humble Bundle's payment/delivery system to provide individual keys for customers.

Anybody going to wait a few months or longer and hope for LoG in a HIB?

[quote name='inm8num2']Sooo...they are working with Humble Bundle's payment/delivery system to provide individual keys for customers.

Anybody going to wait a few months or longer and hope for LoG in a HIB?[/QUOTE]

I would bet that its in there, I was going to wait myself but this game takes me back. I'll throw these dev's a bone, typically I don't buy indie games I just wait for bundles but this one just looked too good and at 11.99 I couldnt say no. I shall be dungeon crawling this weekend!

Happy to see the love for this kind of game on CAG! I had read a review and saw a few screen shots and instantly knew I had to buy the game. I spent my childhood bumping into walls and clicking on every brick in countless dungeons. Hell I played Dark Spire on DS until my fingers bled.

Lets hope the game is as good as the reviews say. We may have to turn this thread into a support group in the near future: Dungeon Crawlers Anonymous?

I really want to get this but pretty sure my PC wont run it. With Steam and GOG and all if you download something that wont run are you SOL or? Will it prevent you from buying stuff you can't run?

[quote name='wiz2020']I really want to get this but pretty sure my PC wont run it. With Steam and GOG and all if you download something that wont run are you SOL or? Will it prevent you from buying stuff you can't run?[/QUOTE]

Nothing will stop you from buying a game if your PC can't run it.
Buyer beware.

Here is a hardware test for people to check to see if their PC can run the game. It's about 400 Mb. BTW, my laptop has crappy built-in Intel HD3000 graphics and it passes the test.

Try the hardware test if anyone is unsure but the requirements are pretty modest. Also with Steam and GOG you can redownload again any time you need to so if it doesn't work for you now you can still download it again later if you upgrade etc.

I seriously can't see it not running for most people though unless your PC is exceedingly ancient. This is pretty much meant to be like some old games you'd see 20-ish years ago. The visuals may be upgraded a bit but it's not exactly Crysis.

[quote name='keithp']Here is a hardware test for people to check to see if their PC can run the game. It's about 400 Mb. BTW, my laptop has crappy built-in Intel HD3000 graphics and it passes the test.[/QUOTE]

Since I wasn't a subscriber, it took me a while to download the test. I passed though and am now going to pre-order it. Can't really argue when it's only $11.99. Thanks OP.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Now that the price is higher, anyone believe it's worth it? I know it's $1.50 more, but this IS cag.[/QUOTE]

I say get it. I got it at 11.99 but think it's worth the price at full. I never played this type of RPG growing up but I am more than intrigued so far.

[quote name='bigdbo622']I say get it. I got it at 11.99 but think it's worth the price at full. I never played this type of RPG growing up but I am more than intrigued so far.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my feelings, after reading the reviews and fanbase on the genre praise this game to no end, I said hey why not. I never grew up on this type of game either (did not have PC till middleschool). The mechanics seem great, cant wait to try it out.

Does the idea of an obsessed king forcing 4 of the land's strongest prisoners, every year, to explore an unnatural trap- and monster-filled spire while being chained together to ensure teamwork, with the promise of freedom in exchange for a successful expedition where all others have failed sound like an interesting game?

If so, worth more than $13.49 so buy!

[quote name='wiz2020']I really want to get this but pretty sure my PC wont run it. With Steam and GOG and all if you download something that wont run are you SOL or? Will it prevent you from buying stuff you can't run?[/QUOTE]

I think you're SOL, but I could be wrong.

from their FAQ

"What are the Windows PC system requirements?

The bare minimum is a DX9 graphics card and Windows XP."

Sounds like it's pretty light.

I just started it up and got about 20 mins in so far. One thing I have to say is DAMN! them switches to find secret passages/gates/treasures are really blending in on the dungeon wall, I was hovering my mouse over the wall expecting the cursor to glow to imply their is a hidden switch I can click...nope not in this game. Im jumping back in because this game has my attention.

For anyone worried about performance; you can crank everything down to low/off save textures and be just fine. (it will run on 256mb cards just fine and low textures ain't so bad but ya kinda need medium to find some secrets is all)

edit #1: I tested it on my old rig: Pentium IV (single core 3Ghz) with 2GBs of system RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (256mb of VRAM which is below the baseline for VRAM but slightly above for model numberage) and it defaults to everything maxed but runs best at medium settings.

That's a circa 2004 machine and it runs like a dream with slight tweaking.

edit #2: Also the hardware test outright failed so that's, sadly, not a solid test.

this is my first steam preorder. it's coming out today, so i expected to wake up to it. still isn't there. arghghgh. can. not. wait.

I'm in the same boat. I did not grow up with games like this but I was really intrigued by the trailer and decided to give it a shot at 11.99. I'm glad I did, I'm having a ton of fun with it! I kind of wish I could keep playing tonight but I have other plans. Damn you life! =P

[quote name='Glomerate']I'm in the same boat. I did not grow up with games like this but I was really intrigued by the trailer and decided to give it a shot at 11.99. I'm glad I did, I'm having a ton of fun with it! I kind of wish I could keep playing tonight but I have other plans. Damn you life! =P[/QUOTE]
What he said!

Just played an hour or so, and had a blast. A couple of the "puzzles" got me stuck for a bit, but nothing too nasty... yet.

Tip: I started my first game with a team I created myself, this was a bad idea. You might end up with a useless mage and/or rogue. The default characters will probably be ideal for your first play session, at least til you get the hang of things.

Agreed, I started with the default crew and made my way to the 2nd floor where I had to quit for now. This really helps you get the whole idea of how the game works. Recommended for a first timer first play through.

[quote name='Flowette']What he said!

Just played an hour or so, and had a blast. A couple of the "puzzles" got me stuck for a bit, but nothing too nasty... yet.

Tip: I started my first game with a team I created myself, this was a bad idea. You might end up with a useless mage and/or rogue. The default characters will probably be ideal for your first play session, at least til you get the hang of things.[/QUOTE]

Played about 2 hours and loving it so far. Easily worth the full asking price if you have ANY interest in dungeon crawlers. Wouldn't be surprised if this is in my top 5 at the end of the year.

Loving it so far, just made it to the 2nd floor. I am going to start a new game because the game is pretty easy on the lowest difficullt setting, I thought it was a good idea at the time do to my familarity of the genre and Keyboard/mouse gaming in general. Im going to go ahead and bite the bullet and restart the game on Normal.

Any reason to hold onto duplicate weapons/armor? can you sell or do anything with your extra items?
Any Autosave hotkey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Played just 15 min or so. I was screwing around and being a bit overzealous. My party died fighting the tree/mushroom looking creatures. LOL.

I'm going to create my characters for my actual run.

[quote name='inm8num2']Played just 15 min or so. I was screwing around and being a bit overzealous. My party died fighting the tree/mushroom looking creatures. LOL.

I'm going to create my characters for my actual run.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I just died to the same dudes! Really liking the game so far.

Thanks for the find OP. Awesome old school fun. I can't believe I hadn't heard about this until today.

Man this game is a lot more fun and rewarding when you draw your own maps (print out grid on paper at home or go to Office Depot or OfficeMax and get a grid paper notebook). Hopefully they'll be able to someday add some type of ingame map maker ala Etrian Odyssey.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']Man this game is a lot more fun and rewarding when you draw your own maps (print out grid on paper at home or go to Office Depot or OfficeMax and get a grid paper notebook). Hopefully they'll be able to someday add some type of ingame map maker ala Etrian Odyssey.[/QUOTE]

You mean like this?

automap.jpg

Awesome from what I played so far, was lucky enough to grab it while it was still 11.99, only had like 30min left from what I could tell. I always loved trying to play these when I was little but they were always too confusing without instructions (hand me down games or rentals) or anybody to explain it. Definitely looking forward to diving into this one a little more!

bread's done
Back