Legend of Heroes VI: Trails in the Sky (TitS!) - Out now!

[quote name='Hell Monkey']What is racist about this? (insulting as I called him a slack faced fish person who only uttered one memorable line though his was "Pre-orders do not guaranty the product is available" but not racist)
draft_lens8533701module74070721photo_1260937650admiral-ackbar-its-a-trap

It takse firmware 6.35 I believe (3rd Birthday takes 6.37)[/QUOTE]

You called him Akbar.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I say we make it a class action suit, everyone in the thread jumps on it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed... oh wait.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If this game sucks I am sending a bill for $28.99 directly to Draekon. Will go to small claims court if I have to.[/QUOTE]

Pssh. If you end up hating the game, then you'd sell it back and recoup 80% of your losses. Though I probably shouldn't have talked it up so much because you'll end up setting your expectations too high.

[quote name='2DMention']You called him Akbar.[/QUOTE]

Akbar is a fishman. Yes I'm racist against fishmen. I think this is all they are suited to

477mexican.fish.stick.lg.jpg

I don't like these guys either for the record.
Alien_snp_quarren.jpg

When you said "Akbar" I thought you meant a generic stereotypical name for an East Indian Call center person:

Akbar-and-Jeff.jpg

Maybe I'm the racist here.

Trails in the Sky has flaws, but it's also extremely charming, and I had a blast during the 41 hours spent completing the game.

seems like another long game that is going on my backlog would play it 2nite but im stuck playin

Jikandia: The Timeless Land

[quote name='Draekon']Pssh. If you end up hating the game, then you'd sell it back and recoup 80% of your losses. Though I probably shouldn't have talked it up so much because you'll end up setting your expectations too high.[/QUOTE]

All I want a is GOOD JRPG. If this game meets this criteria, we are good. I am thinking it has a better chance than most JRPGs released the past few years since it is actually 5 years old. The past few years have been shit but this game was actually made when JRPGs were still good, outside of remakes and the very occasional decent game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']All I want a is GOOD JRPG. If this game meets this criteria, we are good. I am thinking it has a better chance than most JRPGs released the past few years since it is actually 5 years old. The past few years have been shit but this game was actually made when JRPGs were still good, outside of remakes and the very occasional decent game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean. The only ones I've thoroughly enjoyed this generation that were new and not remakes of something else we've got have been Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia. There are a few others that weren't bad, but they weren't exciting or overly fun for me.

Also, my copy was awaiting me when I got home from work just now. Time to begin my run.

got mine today from gamefly... now to play it or not next is another question.... might take tomorrow off of game play and start it sat (maybe tomorrow if i get time)

Played the very beginning. Not sure what to say so far, can't really form an impression yet. I'm sure I'll be able to play enough this weekend to see if I like it.

All I want a is GOOD JRPG. If this game meets this criteria, we are good. I am thinking it has a better chance than most JRPGs released the past few years since it is actually 5 years old. The past few years have been shit but this game was actually made when JRPGs were still good, outside of remakes and the very occasional decent game.
This game is indeed good from what I've played so far, DoK. Like you said, since it's 7 years old when JRPGs were still good, you will like this game. The localization is excellent, the story isn't quite the cliche tripe you see in many other games today, and the battle system requires some thought, and is challenging, but not in a frustrating or burdensome way.

There's VA, but it's very minimal from what I've seen (I'm at 2nd dungeon). It's only present in snips in the victory dialogue (one or two words) after a battle, kinda like Star Ocean 1 & 2.

I'm kind of impressed at how similar the battles are to the Bandai games. It has the "meter build up" moves you can use to interrupt an enemies turn, you have to move within range of attack. It seems more strategic though, because your specials and spells take time to use. You also get to see what the turn order is. (I've played all three Bandai games, FYI)

I've put 1.5 hours into it and it's gone by fast. Looking forward to playing more of this.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Played the very beginning. Not sure what to say so far, can't really form an impression yet. I'm sure I'll be able to play enough this weekend to see if I like it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a little slow going at the beginning. Lots of text, tutorials and such. No old school world map either if that matters to you.

I finished the prologue yesterday. I think it took around 4 or 4.5 hours.

[quote name='Draekon']Yeah, it's a little slow going at the beginning. Lots of text, tutorials and such. No old school world map either if that matters to you.

I finished the prologue yesterday. I think it took around 4 or 4.5 hours.[/QUOTE]

It took me like 2 hours. Did you do a bunch of sidequests or something?

Only gripe I have so far about this game is that the enemies pop up suddenly in front, and you can't see them very well on the screen.

I did all the side quests I could, yes. They expire after a while and if you plan on using your save to import into the next game, then your Bracer Guild rank will import some stuff over.

As for the monster thing, one of the quests (I think) gave me an Orbament that allows me to see enemies as red dots on the mini-map. Which I also think makes them more visible from a distance on the screen. Very useful.

[quote name='Draekon']I did all the side quests I could, yes. They expire after a while and if you plan on using your save to import into the next game, then your Bracer Guild rank will import some stuff over.

As for the monster thing, one of the quests (I think) gave me an Orbament that allows me to see enemies as red dots on the mini-map. Which I also think makes them more visible from a distance on the screen. Very useful.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'll have to do me some sidequests then!

The Orbment you're wanting is called "Eagle Vision" (Can see enemies from a distance) now that I'm back home and can check. It's Space Elemental. As for which quest (or if not a quest, where) I received it from... absolutely no clue.

Keep an eye out for it I suppose. I also received another nice Orbment called "Information" (Be able to perceive enemy status) that's Mirage Element and I'm pretty sure I got that from quest in
Rolent Bracer's Guild

EDIT: Oh, they might be for
ranking up as a bracer, not actually quest rewards. I just received one called
Haze

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a bit more tonight. The game moves pretty slowly but Xseed did a great job with the localization. Not much going on in the game at this point but I see no reason not to continue playing. The battle system is lightly tactical, but it still moves fast. It's enjoyable so far. I cringe to think how much worse the game would be if Ignition "localized" it.

really need to open this game up hopefully tonight.

Then again

FROM THE ABYSS Chapter 1 comes to the DSI downlod tomorrow for 200 pts what might suck up more of my time

Wikify the thread? Yay? Nay?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Played a bit more tonight. The game moves pretty slowly but Xseed did a great job with the localization. Not much going on in the game at this point but I see no reason not to continue playing. The battle system is lightly tactical, but it still moves fast. It's enjoyable so far. I cringe to think how much worse the game would be if Ignition "localized" it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of us want to imagine what would become of the translation if Ignition got their hands on the script. There have been one or two instances where I'd change the wording, but overall it's been great.

Also came across one instance where the text wasn't formatted properly for the text bubble as it wasn't word wrapped (Well, they forgot the \n). Thankfully what was said was short, but still you'd think something like that would have been caught in QA.

Two more reviews up:

IGN (8.0): http://psp.ign.com/articles/115/1159327p1.html
GamePro (4/5)): http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/218732/review-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/

I skimmed through and didn't see any real spoilers. Though the GamePro one gives you the gist of what the prologue story is.

Also beat the game during my lunch hour today and finished up once I got home. Took me 41 or so hours, but I for the most part remembered the first third of the game when I played through that part on my import copy. Missed most of the quests in Chapter 3 because I couldn't hold my urge back to play through the story. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but that final dungeon was a bit of a pain. Particularly the chest monsters.

NG+ Carry Over Details:
You can choose whether or not to include these individually:

1. Mira/Sepith (Carry over Mira & Sepith)
  2. Items (Carry over usable inventory items)
  3. Equipment (Carry over equip and quartz (~10 per). Quest-related items not included)
  4. Information (Recipe Book, Monster Guide & World Map)
  5. Status (Levels and Open Orbment Slots)
Then you have the option to change the difficulty. You have Normal (What you just played) and then Hard or Nightmare.

Ok, when the fuck does this game start to pick up? And when the fuck do I get another party member? This game is moving slower than molasses, both story and gameplay-wise. I've been willing to give it more of a chance due to CAG impressions but this is getting absurd. I am still in the prologue but I'm doing all of the quests as well. My clock is at over 10 hours but only because I've been leaving it on when I step away.

I'm trying to think of a game I've played that takes hours to get "interesting" that was actually any good in the first place. Thinking back on my favorite RPGs I believe I was hooked easily within the 1st hour.

Sometimes say two-thirds of the way thru the game there may have been some tedious area but that's about it.

I don't understand how people can defend a game that is (let's be honest) bad for huge portions of it just because eventually it gets OK.

Haven't played this one so I can't say if it's the case here or not but I think a lot of RPGs are actually just bad and try to compensate by being longer than they should be, stretching a fairly weak idea out even more and making things worse.

[quote name='EverNight']I'm trying to think of a game I've played that takes hours to get "interesting" that was actually any good in the first place. Thinking back on my favorite RPGs I believe I was hooked easily within the 1st hour.

Sometimes say two-thirds of the way thru the game there may have been some tedious area but that's about it.

I don't understand how people can defend a game that is (let's be honest) bad for huge portions of it just because eventually it gets OK.

Haven't played this one so I can't say if it's the case here or not but I think a lot of RPGs are actually just bad and try to compensate by being longer than they should be, stretching a fairly weak idea out even more and making things worse.[/QUOTE]

I love this post. If you posted this on NeoGAF about Nier you would start a huge shitstorm. "You need to do a second playthrough to fully appreciate the gaaaameeeeee!" fuck YOU, a game that takes a SECOND fuckING WHOLE PLAYTHROUGH just to get good is NOT A GOOD GAME. I am not going to trudge through 30+ hours of shit just for a game to get good.

man i was about to stick this game into the machine and play it and then

BOOM

Absolute Baseball comes out on the DSIwere download what is sucking up all of my time...by the time i get done playing this FF 4 PSP will be out :(

seems this will be just like dragon quest 6 never played (sucks i got DQ6 day one and its still SEALED)

This should cover everything I think. :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Ok, when the fuck does this game start to pick up? And when the fuck do I get another party member? This game is moving slower than molasses, both story and gameplay-wise. I've been willing to give it more of a chance due to CAG impressions but this is getting absurd. I am still in the prologue but I'm doing all of the quests as well. My clock is at over 10 hours but only because I've been leaving it on when I step away.[/QUOTE]

The prologue is used for introducing everything more or less. While the story events there aren't big or particularly interesting, they do have their place in the overall story. Nothing is really done without some explained reason down the road. At the end of the prologue is more or less the beginning of the actual story.

As for the slowness, yep, it's slow in the prologue as it's an introduction and first two chapters as those two are more about investigation than action. This will be especially true if you take on bracer guilds quests as they aren't really main story material, which holds true for any side stuff. I still recommend doing them until you get the Information & Eagle Vision Orbments to help make the game less frustrating when it comes to battles. Beyond that the rewards are nice, but not really as helpful as those two.

Though you've had the game in your PSP on for 10 hours (Sleep mode doesn't progress the clock), I have to wonder what you've actually done that you haven't finished the prologue personally. I read a few other people saying they spent 12 hours on the prologue and I have absolutely no fucking clue how the hell they can spend so much time on it. It took me 4 hours and I did everything I could in the prologue. Granted I did play through this part before and had an idea of what I needed to do, but I still don't see how someone is going to clock more than double that without letting their PSP sit for hours.

You get your next party member at the end of the prologue. The way the game uses party members outside of Joshua and Estelle are quite different than other games. So don't be surprised if you're down to 2 people again for a little bit.

Sometimes I have to wonder how you can enjoy Dragon Quest so much when the beginning of those games are so incredible slow and boring too. This was one of my most anticipate games of 2011 behind The Witcher 2 and for me it did not disappoint. It's not 9 or 10 material in terms of ranking as it has its faults, but it left me fulfilled in the end. ;)

[quote name='EverNight']I'm trying to think of a game I've played that takes hours to get "interesting" that was actually any good in the first place. Thinking back on my favorite RPGs I believe I was hooked easily within the 1st hour.

Haven't played this one so I can't say if it's the case here or not but I think a lot of RPGs are actually just bad and try to compensate by being longer than they should be, stretching a fairly weak idea out even more and making things worse.[/QUOTE]

I actually really like how the story is more believable in this one because of how it's more down to earth than other stories. Yeah the story is slow at the beginning, I won't deny the fact. However I don't see how it makes the game bad. I found the story blurbs pretty interesting thanks to the detailed writing and little nuances they put in. Half the reason why it's slow though is because of Bracer Guild quests since you're not furthering the story.

I'm also fairly certain I can say this is one of the better stories I've seen in quite a while. Everything in the game is pretty much done for a reason as you'd see if you played it through. Plus it sets up the next game so you can be thrown into the story of the next one pretty quickly.

If Dead of Knight makes it out of the prologue I'll be interested to see if she finds it worth it or not. I have not played it, but have been eying it from a distance.

@Draekon:
Out of curiosity, if it's not a 9 or 10 what would you rate this and what JRPGs do you consider to be 9/10 so I have a frame of reference for what you like.

[quote name='2DMention']When do you think we can expect the next game in the series? 6 months from now?[/QUOTE]

Right now they are saying it won't be out this year.

Yeah, unfortunately the sequel will likely not be out until next year.

[quote name='EverNight']If Dead of Knight makes it out of the prologue I'll be interested to see if she finds it worth it or not. I have not played it, but have been eying it from a distance.

@Draekon:
Out of curiosity, if it's not a 9 or 10 what would you rate this and what JRPGs do you consider to be 9/10 so I have a frame of reference for what you like.[/QUOTE]

DoK dislikes a lot of stuff and is pretty vocal about it you'll find. I could see her hating Estelle or hating the amount of text this game has with character interactions.

As for a rating? I don't consider anything a 10 and for me, 5 is "Average". As for what I see as a 9, there are quite a number of things, most of which are pretty old. Some of those such RPG games are Grandia, Suikoden 2 and Tales of Eternia. TitS would probably rank 8-8.5 if I ranked it and then averaged the numbers. The biggest fault of the game is probably that the story progression is too slow early on because they like to take the time and build up every little detail. Based on the ending, I don't believe the sequel will be like that. 62t could correct me as I think he's played all three. While I own all three as imports, I haven't played through the second or third because my ability to read Japanese is too low to be able to play the game without becoming too frustrated.

I don't mind the amount of text, it's decent. Estelle isn't that annoying so far. I just want the gameplay and story to pick up.

And trust me, replaying games for the second time knowing exactly what to do can DRAMATICALLY decrease playtime. By more than half, even in an RPG.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']And trust me, replaying games for the second time knowing exactly what to do can DRAMATICALLY decrease playtime. By more than half, even in an RPG.[/QUOTE]

Some games, yeah. However I don't really see how it's possible to take more than 10 hours to actually play the Prologue, which is suppose to be the shortest part of the game of that and the four chapters in what is described as a 50 hour RPG. It's not like I rushed it because I knew where most of the stuff was at. Plus everything is in English now and the NPCs aren't direct copies of their Japanese counterparts.

Oh well, it's not like it's my place to comment on how other people play their games despite how bizarrely long it may take them. Of course the comment wasn't directed at you but more of a random comment on the people who are actually playing that part of the game for 12 hours.

[quote name='EverNight']@Draekon
Did you import the PSP or PC versions?
[/QUOTE]

PSP, needs pictures? :p

It was gifted to me from a friend the first Christmas (Or maybe my birthday) after the third game released.

I have like 13 hours on the clock but I am pretty sure at least a few of those were idling. I also multitask when I'm actually playing so that makes it take longer too.

About replays dramatically reducing game time... First time I played Lunar SSSC when I was a kid (6th grade) it took me over 35 hours because I was thorough and I was a kid. I can now beat it in 13 hours.

Just to clarify I only imported and played the first game. I ended up stop playing because the only faqs available at that time was horrible (it was one giant paragraph for each chapter).

I am planning on importing the fourth game (Zero no Kiseki) if that doesnt get a US release.

I guess that clarifies things a little bit more. I suppose you'd import Ao no Kiseki too if you end up liking Zero.

I am still in the prologue, but the game is fantastic and is exceeding my expectations. The graphics are absolutely amazing, the world is lively and the combat is a nice mix of traditional turn based fighting with a sprinkle of strategy. I am too early to tell much of the story, but I dig the characters so far. I also am a mission and goal oriented person, so I have no problems with questing.

Finished the prologue last night. My husband couldn't believe there were like 14 hours on my clock at the end of a freaking prologue, even though I'd put it down for a while while doing other things. I'm feeling a little better about the game now as it seems to finally be moving along and I finally got a third party member. Josette is a really annoying character though and I hope she doesn't pop up TOO much for the rest of the game.

I can't believe it either frankly. :lol:

As for encountering Josette again. If you don't mind me answering in a simple yes or no answer then:
Yes.

[quote name='Draekon']I can't believe it either frankly. :lol:

As for encountering Josette again. If you don't mind me answering in a simple yes or no answer then:
Yes.
[/QUOTE]

Yes she shows up a lot more or yes she doesn't?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yes she shows up a lot more or yes she doesn't?[/QUOTE]

I suppose I should have clarified a little bit more.
I don't think she'll show up often enough to where you're hating the game because of it, but she'll make a few more appearances.

Edited to be a little more vague. Didn't want to give out any hints of spoilers.

Finished the Prolouge at 4:57 on the clock. I did some side jobs.
Does anyone know how much this game trades in for at Gamestop? it doesn't seem to be submitted yet.

Just finished Chapter 1 last night. lol. There's like 38 hours on the in game clock.

Game is a lot more fun with 4 characters and when you aren't living on Mexican wages like at the beginning, but there's way too much dialogue. Good translation, but the dialogue itself is inane and too long. I'll probably stick with this till the end. I'm betting there'll be over 100 hours on the in game clock by then.

Well, at least you're getting a nice amount of time vs money paid? I think you'll enjoy one of the longer cutscenes that occur in Chapter 2.

I play pretty similarly to Dead of Knight. My play clock is insanely long. I am at 27 hours right now and still in Chapter 1. I just like to play for a bit, browse out on the web, watch a game, and come back to it. So it is hard to say exactly how long it really is taking me to play.

I'm doing some of the quests, but not all of them. Trying to do the ones where you run into the bosses on the trail, but sometimes they don't appear.

Add me as another person who is confused about how the spell and orb system works. They didn't explain it very well, and for the advanced spells, it seems like you need more crystals or whatever than you have slots for?

I wish they'd just pay you separately in gold with monster kills rather than crystals or whatever. Reminds me of Lunar for DS in some ways.

I can't really say specifically how it works as I rarely ever paired up for top tier spells. Usually it seems to involve getting a rare orbment and pair it with two other level 3 orbments of the same element (I never tested). You have enough slots for them as everybody has like 4 'slot anything' slots and 2 element specific slots.

And I never had an issue with gold until chapter 4. This was probably because I ended up missing so many quests in chapter 3. Though I just sold a bunch of old equipment at that point and some of my stockpiled septia elements (Only time I did this). Then at the end of the game I had a good amount left over money and septia left over. I think more or less they went with a system that was a bit more 'realistic' than having monsters drop gold when they can't really carry it around.

bread's done
Back