Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker for WiiU

[quote name='Corvin']I think everyone is well aware that's what they're doing.

Personally after the last two games, I'd rather drop my money on a remake of the last good Zelda game than take a chance on a new, and potentially worse, game in the series.[/QUOTE]

Well to be honest, I finally got to see the Wii U Zelda tech demo and was like damn, this is a very cool indicator of what a Zelda game could be massive bosses, huge battle area.

And I don't think its necessarily that the series is not getting it right, its more that its not doing anything new since Wind Waker, its prettier, has a few new gimmicks with associated tech and then slightly prettier gfx.

[quote name='uncle5555']I look at this as nothing more than a ploy to placate people until new Zelda is out (which was 2014, but we see that's not happening) and as almost every post before this shows it's working. [/QUOTE]

They basically said exactly that in the video announcing it. It's not really a secret.

I can't wait for this as Wind Waker is a masterpiece IMO. Also I think Wind Waker has some of the best music I have ever heard in a video game.

I like Wind Waker and I will love to eventually see it in widescreen full clean hd visuals but I rather get Majora's Mask 3D and play through that. I'm not interested in getting the WiiU now if all I will still have to look forward to is games I have on my shelf already... Making a game I have already and love newly-portable is cause for celebration.

If however, F-Zero GX was Re-made in anticipation of a new entry of the series for WiiU, you will have my money faster than I can pull it out of my wallet.

Wind Waker is the only Zelda game I've ever finished. I will play it again if fix changing wind direction when sailing. I hated having to change the wind's direction just to get my boat to go in a different direction. Just put a motor on that boat already!!

I heard on some podcast that the original Wind Waker was rushed and they cut out some stuff. It would be nice if they put that stuff in.

Still very happy with our wiiU. We play mario about 3 times a week still stuck in the meringue clouds! WW is my favorite modern Zelda game it was amazing to play and HD will be that much better. I forget nearly all the specifics of the game so I may be playing for the first time.... Again.

Zelda is one of my favorite series. I've only beat Zelda 1, OoT, Wind Waker and Links Awakening(GBC). I'm currently on Twilight Princess but not sure if I'll finish it. I also purchased Skyward Sword. I've been waiting for a Zelda with Skyrim graphics since I was a little kid.

I love my Xbox, but 1st party Nintendo games will always be a system seller to me.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Zelda is one of my favorite series. I've only beat Zelda 1, OoT, Wind Waker and Links Awakening(GBC). I'm currently on Twilight Princess but not sure if I'll finish it. I also purchased Skyward Sword. I've been waiting for a Zelda with Skyrim graphics since I was a little kid.

I love my Xbox, but 1st party Nintendo games will always be a system seller to me.[/QUOTE]

No Link to the Past? It's arguably the best, though I might give the nod to 1. You should also give Zelda 2 a shot.

The Wind Waker is an amazing game - the only part that really hurt it was the overly long, boring Triforce hunt. I actually liked the sailing/exploration aspect, but the shard hunt makes me not want to replay it again. Hell, even Miyamato hated it - here is his quote: ""I apologize that we didn't fix the triforce hunt at the end of the game. It was slow and dull." If not for that I would re-play this game (though I wouldn't buy a whole new console over an HD remake...)

I didn't get around to beating Wind Waker until a couple years ago so I'm not really ready to play through it again. But for those who haven't played it in a long time or ever, this is definitely good news. The game was very good with the exception of the minor complaints that others have mentioned, which I would imagine Nintendo will address in this release.

I don't really see how you can fix something like that though unless you just minimize to the point of it being radically different from the original. Maybe just go back to the Tower of the Gods but have it be completely different than before (MAGIC).

I just wish this new version had at least one of the 3 cut dungeons put back in it. That'd be really cool.

I actually wouldn't mind if all they do for the Triforce hunt is make Tingle's map prices cheaper. That's what was most tedious for me, having to go grind for rupees... Otherwise I actually enjoy the Triforce hunt, as it encourages (forces?) you to actually explore.

WW has some of the best "exploration" in any Zelda IMHO. So much to go out and discover/find (even if sailing is slow, I'll take slow exploration vs Skyward Swords "no" exploration any day).

I bought WW and a GC controller last year because I had quit on the triforce quest bit like 8 years ago. Finding them all took like 2 hours with the right gamefaq, and was kind of fun. The quest bits were terrible (ghost ship, teacher's house), and the clues were too vague. They should just cut Tingle altogether. I think I did better because I mapped most of the islands beforehand.

Sailing was actually fine. Once you're headed the right way, you can actually put the controller down and take a little break.

[quote name='Hemi']I may have hallucinated but I thought I saw somewhere they were adding in content cut from the first?[/QUOTE]

A lot of people have mentioned it, but it's only speculation at this point. Nintendo hasn't officially announced anything.

Adding in cut dungeons would be a hell of a thing, though. I'd be seriously impressed.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't really see how you can fix something like that though unless you just minimize to the point of it being radically different from the original. Maybe just go back to the Tower of the Gods but have it be completely different than before (MAGIC).

I just wish this new version had at least one of the 3 cut dungeons put back in it. That'd be really cool.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the deleted dungeons can be incorporated into the triforce hunt? Instead of looking for map after map, you go to three dungeons where you get a triforce piece at the end instead of a heart container? I think that would make everyone very very happy.

Well, the deleted dungeons were Greatfish, Fire and Ice Islands, where you just ended up getting the items by going in and spending 90 seconds or so in each. So...probably not.

Well, the deleted dungeons were Greatfish, Fire and Ice Islands, where you just ended up getting the items by going in and spending 90 seconds or so in each. So...probably not.
There is an IGN video where the game is being demoed and the guy asks the question and gets a "no comment" in response. Kind of makes me hopeful.

They have announced a faster sail is available as well as Miiverse integration.

In a recent interview, Eiji Aonuma put our uncertainties to rest. He said that there will not be a ‘hard mode’ in Zelda Wind Waker HD on the Wii U, nor will we see the dungeon that was cut before the original game’s release.
I guess that answers it.
Boo. They had the opportunity to do something really great and it sounds like they passed. Probably wouldn't affect sales one way or the other though so I can see why...

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding in those extra dungeons would've changed the story heavily, particularly Greatfish Isle.  Still, it looks better than what they showed back in January.  

This is simply another game to add to my collection. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, along with various first party titles such as Pikmin 3 are reason enough to love my WiiU. Now I'm just looking into getting a 3ds while waiting for WiiU stuff to be released.

Also, this remake will contain a few new features that weren't in the old version, probably to spruce it up a bit for those that already played it on Gamecube.

He said the dungeons were used in Twilight Princess
Really now? I've never heard of that before. Even so, there are bound to be huge differences in a dungeon if you move it from one game to the next, especially considering the differences in items obtained.

They Removed the Tingle tuner?????? :censored:

Why could they not have implemented this with the 3DS or on the wii u gamepad?

I used it exculisvely solo for maps in dungeons/land masses to find things.

I do think it's odd that they removed it when it would've been simple(?) to re-implement it as you suggested. Still, they did replace it with the message in a bottle hint system which is kind of neat, but I think they should've done both.

I do think it's odd that they removed it when it would've been simple(?) to re-implement it as you suggested. Still, they did replace it with the message in a bottle hint system which is kind of neat, but I think they should've done both.
How is a message in a bottle going to tell me where the hidden rupee is when i'm on that island any better then a map with the location on it? Is the bottle also going to bomb things for me or allow me to hover?

i sure it won't.

Still very tempted to get this. Couldn't they have done both? the bottle and 3ds or gamepad tingle tuner implementation?

They probably figured it wasn't worth it. Probably have data from when the original game was released that says few people used the Tingle Tuner

Probably have data from when the original game was released that says few people used the Tingle Tuner
If I had to guess I'd say they probably figured if they had to put work into getting TT working, why not use that effort to boost Miiverse? That's a guess and possibly bullshit, though less likely to be bullshit than N sitting around with a database full of GC-GBA consumer statistics, crunching the numbers, and telling the developers, "Okay, boys, shut down the TT production line!"

This game is just so tied to the GC controller in my mind that I won't experience it in any other way. Wind Waker uses that thing so perfectly, it's so fluid. They take the good parts of the OOT controls and make them even better given the improved controller. I'm an old man on this re-release, and my attitude is similar to that when playing TP and SS: I can't get past the control.

They also have it out December, I'm pretty sure Nintendo has said Fall, quite even possibly August. Amazon just makes shit up.

This was officially dated for October in the media (or investor) presentation, right? In that slideshow?

And, why is it news that it's listed as $60? Did Nintendo indicate that this would be cheaper than a normal retail game somewhere? If it ends up at $50, great, but I fully expected it to be, you know, normal Wii U game price.

A lot of ps2 remakes sold for 40$ initially. Not sure if all did. That's the only reason to assume it'd be less than $60, other than the game being ten years old.

HD re-releases are rarely $60, especially for one game. If it is I'm sure as hell not getting it anytime soon. There's enough coming out in the next several months that's new, even on the Wii U.

I watched my son play this at the Best Buy E3 demos thing. Sometimes it looked great, and sometimes it looked like upscaled textures and didn't look that good. Kind of a mixed bag in the graphical upgrade department. Of course the game will still be good.

True enough, but this is a new thing for Nintendo, so I'm keeping my hopes on price low.

Looking at old evidence, let's be fair... Ocarina and Star Fox for the 3DS both came out at $40, normal price for 3DS games at the time. Plus, they charged $40 for the Super Mario All-Stars rom-dump disc a few years ago. Less than a retail Wii game, but... I mean, wow.

Trust me, I want to think that Wind Waker could come in at $40-50, but there's enough evidence to indicate that when Nintendo 're-does' a game it tends to charge full price. I'm not asserting that it'll definitely be $60, but I'm just saying that I wouldn't be shocked. Assume $60, be happy with anything lower. Probably the best way to head into it.

A lot of ps2 remakes sold for 40$ initially. Not sure if all did. That's the only reason to assume it'd be less than $60, other than the game being ten years old.

HD re-releases are rarely $60, especially for one game. If it is I'm sure as hell not getting it anytime soon. There's enough coming out in the next several months that's new, even on the Wii U.
True enough, but this is a new-ish thing for Nintendo, so I'm keeping my hopes on price low.

Looking at old evidence, let's be fair... Ocarina and Star Fox for the 3DS both came out at $40, normal price for 3DS games at the time. Plus, they charged $40 for the Super Mario All-Stars rom-dump disc a few years ago. Less than a retail Wii game, but... I mean, wow.

Trust me, I want to think that Wind Waker could come in at $40-50, but there's enough evidence to indicate that when Nintendo 're-does' a game it tends to charge full price. I'm not asserting that it'll definitely be $60, but I'm just saying that I wouldn't be shocked. Assume $60, be happy with anything lower. Probably the best way to head into it.

Ooh, you're right there. New Play Control games were $40 if I remember, and Pikmin 2 was $20. I remember Zelda 3D being $20 initially at Amazon, though. Not sure why. Went back up to $40, and $40 when it hit the eshop.

Anything less than $60 would be fantastic. I love this game to death, and I truly want to purchase a copy of this remake when it comes out, but if it's at the same price as newer games, it isn't going to be first on my pickup list.

Has there been any news of a special edition or gold disc or some shit for pre ordering? I intend to buy this on the eShop day 1.

Ooh, you're right there. New Play Control games were $40 if I remember, and Pikmin 2 was $20. I remember Zelda 3D being $20 initially at Amazon, though. Not sure why. Went back up to $40, and $40 when it hit the eshop.
Pikmin was $30 which was where all the 'new play control' games launched at. Pikmin 2 was $20.

Camelx3 doesn't show Zelda 3D hitting $20 until last November.

I am LOVING this update to the game and I think I might actually finish a playthrough this time.

The Tingle bottle system for some reason really added to the game. The Miiverse is generally filled with pleasant people, some of whom are incredibly talented, and I get a little dose of their infectious enthusiasm everytime I pick up a bottle.

Basically, this bottle system is what I was hoping for with the 3ds Streetpass system that I NEVER get hits with in my area.

Serious question, guys: Do I need to be familiar with the Legend of Zelda universe in order to really enjoy this game?

I had never played a Legend of Zelda game prior to Wind Waker's original Gamecube release, but I was always interested in the game because of the unique art style back then. Unfortunately, I never own a GC, so I didn't get to play WW. I was thinking about picking up the HD release, but I barely have any experience with the franchise, let alone the prequel. I've only played the original Legend of Zelda on the Wii's Virtual Console (think I got around 5 pieces of the Triforce) and the first ten minutes or so of The Minish Cap on the 3DS' VC. Can I jump into this game (more or less) blindly, or should I try to experience a bit more of the past entries before I get WW HD?

bread's done
Back