Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker for WiiU

No, there's definitely things for longtime fans, but nothing that would prevent someone unfamiliar from playing it and getting plenty of enjoyment. Most of the Zelda games aren't really connected in that way, there's an "official" timeline to the series but the continuity between titles is minimal at best.

The only Zelda games that are truly connected with each other are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Every other title has nods to one another, but are 90% stand alone.

Serious question, guys: Do I need to be familiar with the Legend of Zelda universe in order to really enjoy this game?

I had never played a Legend of Zelda game prior to Wind Waker's original Gamecube release, but I was always interested in the game because of the unique art style back then. Unfortunately, I never own a GC, so I didn't get to play WW. I was thinking about picking up the HD release, but I barely have any experience with the franchise, let alone the prequel. I've only played the original Legend of Zelda on the Wii's Virtual Console (think I got around 5 pieces of the Triforce) and the first ten minutes or so of The Minish Cap on the 3DS' VC. Can I jump into this game (more or less) blindly, or should I try to experience a bit more of the past entries before I get WW HD?
WW was the first "3D"/console Zelda game I beat; I played OoT on N64 but didn't beat it until the Collectors version on GCN. I had beaten all of the handheld games before I got WW though. Story/plot/continuity wise, WW mentions some minor things from OoT and maybe the first game. There might be one plot point that might be appreciated more if you know the entire OoT story or familiar with Zelda universe, but it really doesn't matter.

My cousin somehow beat this on the GCN (not sure if he used a guide) with no Zelda experience that I know of, but he did so before I had! The only part that I had trouble with seems to have been removed/altered in the HD version (Triforce hunting). The sailing should have been improved as well so shouldn't be an issue.

Just fyi Twilight Princess (GCN) is probably the easiest of the console games (haven't played any of SS) even though I haven't finished it yet - pretty close to the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a review from Grantland which takes a look less at the game itself than its themes and how the franchise seemed to reject the underlying meta theme behind Wind Waker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another fyi based on comparison screenshots and video, I don't really see how the HD version "looks better".  The GCN looks better imo unless the sources I checked had them labeled wrong.

I remember all the controversy surrounding the release of WindWaker concerning the change in art style. It's nice to see that this game has really held up after 10 yrs.

I picked up a copy over the weekend, but haven't gotten a chance to play it just yet. I've been spending a lot of time recently trying to clean up and organize my domicile. I will likely have much more time for my game collection once I've finished. And it is harder for me to prioritize a title like Wind Waker HD. I played the GameCube original all the way through.

Still, I will get around to playing through this eventually. Wind Waker was one of my favorite Zelda titles.

A while back people here were making the claim that Wind Waker HD was rebuilt from the ground up. I knew that was bullshit because if they were to make a game from the ground up, it would have been a new Zelda.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-hd-took-six-months-to-develop-6415428

Yeah, no. Nintendo always said it was based on the original code with tweaks, going back to the initial reveal. Anyone who didn't know that just didn't pay attention.

keepontrollin.gif

Great game but all the (wonderful) streamlining improvements makes me realize just how short this game is.  I love the world (fuck you Skyward Sword having nothing to do in the overworld) but taking out the tedium of constantly changing the direction of the wind and slow sailing really makes the game go by quick.

Now time to extend the game length by going for 100% completion :D

I broke down and threw the game in my Wii U after the firmware finished upgrading yesterday. Played the first hour and a half, and got past the first visit to the forbidden fortress. I'll probably hold off on finishing it until I've completed some chores I've been trying to get to, but it's clear another playthrough is in my future.

Hahaha. 

Man I had him at 400 and change but I slipped up.

Will probably try again later after I finish a couple more of the story dungeons. 

bread's done
Back