LEGO Deals 3

Something that hasn't been talked about / shown is this year there is a Valentine's Day Cupid Dog. So for $10 you get 150 pieces and we are back to the brick built animals.

I had a link, but it's not working. The number is 40201.

And keychains went from an outrageous price of $5 to a "LEGO clearly lost their mind' price for $6.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="El Rey" post="13132601" timestamp="1451622565"]Two TRU's near me were supposed to have at least 20 Stormtrooper Sergeants left but neither store could find them. If anyone can pick up one or two for me please let me know. One of the TRU's still has a crap ton of Threepios I could pick up if needed. I did pick up the Tiger poly though[/quote]
Cumberland has a bunch

I got the Geonosis Troopers set 75089 yesterday and was surprised when I went to put it together today and found that one of my Clone helmets were super misprinted. I'm still a pretty new Lego collector (hasn't even been a year yet since I started), so it was cool to finally run into one that had been misprinted and not have a set that's just missing stickers or pieces (had 2 of those so far). 

19l9uc.jpg

Probably ymmv, but my local target put out the takodana and avenger jet sets on the shelf for 49.99 instead of 59.99.
That's what it says on their website (at least the Takodana set). I actually went there last night to pick up a set, and the guy said the overnight crew would put them out. So, I went back there today...and nothing. I'm going to another Target tonight to hopefully get it. Neat looking set!

Both Targets I went to didn't have the set out, but Toys R US did, and I got the Target price price matched (for Takodana).

I found the Darkseid jet set for $50 on clearance at Target today and picked one up. I'll sit on it and see if I find one any cheaper in the next month. Maybe one will last to half price somewhere around here. If not, this price is decent.

Finally found ONE Ninjago poly at half price today. The Friends poly was $.39 at the same store, so I bought a few for parts and hairpieces that work on normal minfigs (and to get put on a watchlist, probably). 

Noticed the little $10 Friends Archery set has some awesome parts! Didn't buy one at this time, though. Probably later.

Most of the LEGO shelves at the two Targets I hit this evening were WIPED OUT. People hit the clearance items like whoa over the weekend, I guess. I missed out. Ah well.

One Target near me has a bunch of the 2016 sets but a couple other stores haven't restocked and the shelves are barren.

I'm secure with my opinion that the Friends line is one of Lego's best since the 80s. I mean, hamsters with party hats, people!

Finally found ONE Ninjago poly at half price today. The Friends poly was $.39 at the same store, so I bought a few for parts and hairpieces that work on normal minfigs (and to get put on a watchlist, probably).

Noticed the little $10 Friends Archery set has some awesome parts! Didn't buy one at this time, though. Probably later.

Most of the LEGO shelves at the two Targets I hit this evening were WIPED OUT. People hit the clearance items like whoa over the weekend, I guess. I missed out. Ah well.
Brickseek shows a store 30 miles away that has nearly 400 Ninjago polybags?!?!

And my local Target stopped putting clearance on the back endcaps, and has moved it to the front endcaps facing the main aisle for everyone to see...not that there was much anyways Lego-wise.

One Target near me has a bunch of the 2016 sets but a couple other stores haven't restocked and the shelves are barren.
I'm secure with my opinion that the Friends line is one of Lego's best since the 80s. I mean, hamsters with party hats, people!
I agree. When Friends started I couldn't stand the theme. The colors were a mess and the Minidolls look stupid (the Elves ones look a lot nicer) but LEGO has really out done themselves with the theme.

I read a few opinions that City was the best theme last year and I just scratched my head. Elves, Friends, NingaGo, Mixels, Creator... I don't get it. Maybe they really just like the dark red truck with a cop car chasing it set, or another uncreative camper.

I will say this years summer City sets are 'volcano research' which should be interesting if nothing else. I still which I picked up a few Arctic sets, but there is always next time. :lol:

It's official, friends is the best theme ever!

Summer set names,

Amusement Park Arcade (41127) Amusement Park Space Ride (41128) Amusement Park Hot Dog Stand (41129) Amusement Park Rollercoaster (41130)

Brickseek shows a store 30 miles away that has nearly 400 Ninjago polybags?!?!

And my local Target stopped putting clearance on the back endcaps, and has moved it to the front endcaps facing the main aisle for everyone to see...not that there was much anyways Lego-wise.
My local store had a mountain of the Ninjago polys at 50% off. I bought a couple. I'll try to grab a few more after the drop to 70%.

I have no idea why there are so many of these. Normally, the seasonal polys are gone before they even get clearanced.

I wasn't lucky enough with the Ninjago polys. They were gone before they hit 50% off at all the stores in my area. Kinda disappointed because I liked the minifigure.

Finally was able to exchange the First Order TIE I got for Christmas for Poe's X-wing at Target today!
Over the past couple days I've built Anakin's modified Jedi star fighter, the new Batmobile, Clash of Heroes set, Rhino & Sandman team up and Darkseid Invasion sets. All great builds! Really like the Javelin more than I thought I would. Not normally a play set collector but the Rhino set is pretty cool, sure lots of play factor for kids.

My wife, sister and nieces are really into friends so I don't have to pay too much attention to them. The amusement park sets sound cool. But the thing with the Friends sets, and my wife and sister say this too, is that thy treat girls, who these are marketed towards, essentially as dummies as far giving whole wall panels for sets instead of actually letting them build sets with pieces as you would do with any comparable set that's geared towards boys or unisex. That also gives you less pieces per set. Just an observation.

My wife, sister and nieces are really into friends so I don't have to pay too much attention to them. The amusement park sets sound cool. But the thing with the Friends sets, and my wife and sister say this too, is that thy treat girls, who these are marketed towards, essentially as dummies as far giving whole wall panels for sets instead of actually letting them build sets with pieces as you would do with any comparable set that's geared towards boys or unisex. That also gives you less pieces per set. Just an observation.
Because of accessories and pets are a lot of the focus. And I don't think the pieces are bigger. I've build Elsa's Castle, and that thing's a pain in the butt with all the small pieces. The large panels are common to all Castle sets.

I've also built the Lego Friends Cruiser, and the large pieces of those are present in the pirate ships.

Most of the Friends sets are dollhouse buildings, so you have to compare them to City buildings. If you look at fire stations and police stations, those all have big panels too.

Obviously, I don't really agree with the assessment.

Edit: P.S. Don't compare it to Creator sets, which are supposed to have smaller pieces for rebuilding.

I'm sorry but that doesn't even make sense. The Friends sets have no ceiling so that they look more like doll houses. We can argue all day and night and get no where if the sets are 'sexist' or not but if your female family thinks they are then why don't they buy the other sets? You are just saying that the other sets are for males or more complicated is just as bad as saying that Friend sets are for only females. I buy the Friends line more than any other now mainly because we get different buildings in different styles and the detail is amazing.

But above all else how do you get less pieces per set? I actually think you get a lot more pieces for your money than City and Star Wars. The sets have the same windows and walls and doors as City and most other themes besides Creator which is the point of Creator.

I'm almost done building 10175, Vader's TIE Advanced. Anyone interested in buying it? It's complete and the sticker is brand new.

Guys it was just and offhand observation, that a few others in my family shared with me and yes they happen to be females. Personally I never thought of the dollhouse aspect of it but now that you mention it, it does make sense however there are still more ways to open up the sets - sliding or opening door panels - rather than just wall panels.
My niece is five and these dollhouse style sets aren't a challenge to her from a build standpoint. My sister and her come over to our house and see some of the more advance larger (yes some more expensive) sets and want that style, build mechanics for similarly priced friends sets. And I'm not even talking about larger creator or city sets, smaller ones like the log cabin or mountain hut which were $30-$40 and fold open.

I'm sure if any other themes interested my niece my sister wouldn't hesitate to get them for her but credit to Lego marketing because Friends/Disney Princesses is pretty much all she is interested in.

And GG you have declared your fondness for Friends many times over the years and I don't blame you, some of them do catch my eye but they're not the focus of my collection and anything I do have interest in my wife has usually already bought for herself or I can always pick up for her.

But above all else how do you get less pieces per set? I actually think you get a lot more pieces for your money than City and Star Wars. The sets have the same windows and walls and doors as City and most other themes besides Creator which is the point of Creator.
I think this is the only quantifiable part of the argument and just glancing at the City sets the price per piece seems about the same as Friends across all the different tiered pricing. I have a niece who gets Friends sets regularly and my son has a couple. It just appears to me that they usually contain more minibuilds with numerous individual pieces like carts, market stands, etc that takes from the architecture and building budget. You could argue that girls are being shorted by getting sets focused more on playing than building but even then I think that would be a marginal and subjective difference.

And I'm not even talking about larger creator or city sets, smaller ones like the log cabin or mountain hut which were $30-$40 and fold open.
Like we've mentioned, you can't compare Creator sets to Friends/Elves/Princesses. They're in a league of their own and designed more for rebuilding than play. You have to compare Princesses to Castle sets, Friends/Elves to City/Pirates. If you do, they're extremely similar.

Should there be girl equivalent of Technic/Creator/etc? Maybe. But even Friends sets are relatively new. There's already 3 main lines of girls' Lego, and it's only been 3 years. Give it a little more time.

And I would argue that Creator/Technic are already geared a little more for females, especially the modular creator sets, and sets like the Mini, ferris wheel, etc.

If Monster High/Ever After High/Descendants ever come to LEGO instead of Megablok, holy $$$.

As an aside, the number of times I've heard little girls go ew at Lego when I'm in the store is way higher than I've ever seen girls look at any Lego sets.

I think people are missing the point of the Friends line, it is for girls, not because of the subject matter or some weird thinking of simple builds but because the builds are more based on doll houses. It's why there are more pieces for detail (Which as an adult I love the fact we now have sushi and chocolate bar pieces.) in order for girls (or boys) to play with the sets more. But there isn't anything stopping girls from buying a non-minidoll set or a boy from only buying mini figure sets.

If we really want to break it down...

City is a boy theme because all they want is firemen and cops and robbers.

Friends is for girls for the doll houses and such.

Creator is for both, it's the bridge to a more classic LEGO, so it's impossible to go "I think Creator needs more 'girl' sets. What makes a set gender specific? I don't know, but the Creator ones seem to have something for everyone.

Having worked at TRU before the Friends set came out I remember parents complaining there are no sets for girls. I don't think the issue is with LEGO being sexist, I think the problem is Americans are fucking idiots who think a 'girl' set has to have pink and a 'boy' set needs to have blue or dark colors. Girls can't like Star Wars or a Creator box that doesn't have a pink house and a doggie. We are the sexists assholes, and LEGO is just trying to make money in our world.

With two girls who love LEGO (both before Friends launched and still loving LEGO), they love it all.  They have sets from a lot of the lines.  They actually hate the pink/fuchsia  color scheme.  As an AFOL and a guy, I prefer my four walls and detailed builds, but I gotta give credit to LEGO.  The girls love the 3-wall design because they're easier to play with. 

I will say it does seem like the piece counts are inflated though because of all the tiny bows and trinkets that have nothing to do with the build. 

how much $?
I'm trying to figure that out in my head because I still can't wrap my head around the cost they are selling for. Also I need to make sure it's complete, but it has the two exclusive printed pieces and the beautiful unused sticker. If I can get my messages to load you can shoot me a non-lowball offer.

I'm trying to figure that out in my head because I still can't wrap my head around the cost they are selling for. Also I need to make sure it's complete, but it has the two exclusive printed pieces and the beautiful unused sticker. If I can get my messages to load you can shoot me a non-lowball offer.
I sent a message as well. Please PM me when you have a chance. Thank you.

Brickseek is now showing the Friends polybag at Target is back to 3.99. Good luck selling all 256 of those Target.

Edit: Turns out Brickseek is wrong. Set is now 39 cents. Once again, a set I have no interest in at 3.99 is a "oh heck yes" at 90% off.

I didn't see this mentioned or if this "belongs here" but Amazon, Gamestop and Best Buy all have Lego dimensions fun packs on sale right now. $7.50 at all 3 but Best Buy has them for $6 if you're a GCU member. Also some places seem to have some on sale that the other doesn't. Just thought I'd share.

Brickseek is now showing the Friends polybag at Target is back to 3.99. Good luck selling all 256 of those Target.

Edit: Turns out Brickseek is wrong. Set is now 39 cents. Once again, a set I have no interest in at 3.99 is a "oh heck yes" at 90% off.
What is the DPCI?

Batcave looks horrible to me. All those sideways plates. Ew.
I don't like it either.

The problem with all the Batcave sets is that there's not a lot of "there" there. When you take away the background images, it's a bunch of scaffolding, plates, and surfaces. It hints at an idea, but doesn't feel finished or complete. I don't even know what I'd do with this set.

I like the classic Batmobile and the figures, but I can live without the rest. I also appreciate the pandering to nerds, but for something that is going to cost what this looks like it's going to cost, I'd want an actual building.

Hmm, I might have to stop by at target tonight. Brickseek says there are 30 left at my Target.

No Friends polys, but I did find two Javelins for $35 each.  They also had a Ninjago set (don't remember which), a random Chima, and a small Friends set at 50% off.

Dropped another 10? It's been this price at Target the whole time, right?
It was. I was in a Target this morning, and the new Avengers jet with Captain Marvel and Hyperion, which has been at $49.99 at every Target was now $59.99.

Maybe they intended it to be a "sale" all along. Who knows. Target isn't quite the same these days. Clearance doesn't drop as regularly, some clearance items now sit forever at certain prices, and the oddball holiday returns I found have all been overpriced (compared to past years).

In the past couple days, I've seen: Galaxy Squad Galactic Titan....for 99.99, the Lego Police Dropship....for 54.98, the Spider-Trike...for 9.08. Rather than price them where they should be at this point, they're pricing them whenever they last were in the system, which sucks for bargain hunters.

bread's done
Back