LEGO Deals 3

I built the Sith Infiltrator on Saturday night. It's a nice set, but the ship itself does feel a tad incomplete. The build was quite interesting though I thought. Plus I got it for $26.50, so that was a good price for the set.

Was down by my Lego store yesterday so I stopped in. They had a Palace Cinema built and on display. I almost left with the Pet Shop set, because those modulars are really nice. They didn't have any of the Republic Frigate polybag left, which was sad because the guy said he would it give it out simply with a $50 purchase as opposed to a $50 Star Wars purchase (and at that point I would have bought the Pet Shop or Palace Cinema). Instead I grabbed the Technic Mini Tow Truck for $12 to build later this week.

They also had a bunch of Series 9, but my group wasn't real fond of Legos and probably wouldn't have appreciated me feeling through all those packs to find the 5 figures I need.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Everyone who lives near Boston on here OK?[/QUOTE]

I think Endencido is from out that way, sucks to come home and that be the headline on my news feed.

^Has anyone heard from him? I know there are a few here from the Boston area and someone from NH. The few people I know from the area were all at work.

Has anyone been reading the insanity of the LEGO cult members? Honestly, I don't know why but people on Brickset, and elsewhere, think LEGO is their best friend and can do no wrong. They are seem upset that LEGO isn't just giving Mr. Golds away, and how unfair and unLEGO it is. They are a company, their one reason for to exist is to make money, and thats what Mister Gold is doing.

On Saturday 5/4 12pm - 2pm, TRU will have it's very first Star Wars building event.

You get to build and keep a mini Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter.

[quote name='bigdaddy']^Has anyone heard from him? I know there are a few here from the Boston area and someone from NH. The few people I know from the area were all at work.

Has anyone been reading the insanity of the LEGO cult members? Honestly, I don't know why but people on Brickset, and elsewhere, think LEGO is their best friend and can do no wrong. They are seem upset that LEGO isn't just giving Mr. Golds away, and how unfair and unLEGO it is. They are a company, their one reason for to exist is to make money, and thats what Mister Gold is doing.[/QUOTE]

I kind of thought the whole idea behind something like Mr Gold was to not be fair. A few people will get it, most people won't, and who cares anyway because it just isn't that great of a figure

[quote name='ackbar7']A few people will get it, most people won't, and who cares anyway because it just isn't that great of a figure[/QUOTE]
Not that you'd mind if you were to happen across one. ;)

[quote name='Pirate331']Not that you'd mind if you were to happen across one. ;)[/QUOTE]

No, I'd love to get one, but only because of the resale value. $500 on ebay currently, which is obviously going to come down. But even if it gets down to the $40 or $50, I would rather have that money than that figure.

Found the LOTR Weathertop set today at Walmart for $40. I have been waiting for a good deal on this one for awhile.

The set was on the shelf with a tag for the regular $59.99. I decided to scan it just to see. I was pretty excited when it came up at $40. There were no red tags or any other indication that it was on clearance.

The moral of the story is scan everything, you never know what might come up!

They also had the Avengers Quinjet set on clearance for $40, but I don't want to start with the Avengers sets or I won't be able to stop until I have them all.

[quote name='ackbar7']No, I'd love to get one, but only because of the resale value. $500 on ebay currently, which is obviously going to come down. But even if it gets down to the $40 or $50, I would rather have that money than that figure.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Ill feel for his hat when I look for the set, buri won't go out of my way to find one. And if I find it I'll sell him. Get some CC style sets and be happy.

I doubt it will ever be $50. What I would have liked is if LEGO made 5000 golden minifigures from the series. That way you have no clue if the one you got was gold or not.

I think it was 10,000.

But what about the fact that 60 million Britons got a whole series of minifigures for the Olympics, when the rest of the world got fucked? You can't complain about one "It's hard to find", and not about another. It's so silly. A Mod on Brickset emailed LEGO a complaint. :roll:

Just because the boxes say 6-12 doesn't mean we have to act like children.

Hope everyone in Boston is okay.

My local Walmart (two/three blocks away) finally put out Series 9. I didn't have time this morning to stand there trying to find the 5 I need yet, but will probably hit them up on Friday when I get paid.

Otherwise nothing worth noting. It was cleaned out of Jabba's Palace.

[quote name='skiizim']lol... Do you have the link to that post?[/QUOTE]

Posted by fuelbreak in Canada, 16 Apr 2013 22:56

For that price what retailer wouldn't weigh the box or go looking for the MR GOLD.

The chances of it falling into a childs hands is very rare, and a shame.

But.... Even in Willy Wonka charlie found a ticket, there is hope.

That being said I still sent my complaint to Lego via email.
http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=6257#comments

Kids won't care about Mr. Gold. Adults want it for the collectability and not what it looks like.

The "adults" want it because they want s full series of 1-10 minifigures. They are acting like children who a toy at the mall when the parents say no.

I don't care about the figure, it wouldn't bother me if I never got one and I wouldn't actively pursue it either. I guess they are just pissed because they don't have $500 to burn.

Any word on Comic Con exclusives yet? The four superhero figs from last year, now that is something to bitch about! I still want Bizarro and Shazam.

[quote name='skiizim']Any word on Comic Con exclusives yet? The four superhero figs from last year, now that is something to bitch about! I still want Bizarro and Shazam.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I only have Phoenix and "Venom."

Skiizim, i'll be at SDCC this year and i'll pick one up for you if i come across one. I remember one of the resellers having all 4 for $200. I regret not getting them all. Although, I did score I Bizarro :)

I thought they changed the way you get the minifigures at Comic Con, that it was all a lottery system now.

I wonder what the minifigures will be, if they will be a tease of next year's Super Hero movies (which are what?) or a new lisense them, like last year with some Turle minifigures.

How many figs do they actually give away at SDCC?

As a CMF collector, I sure would love a Mr. Gold, but I won't email LEGO if I don't get him :lol:.

As far as it goes, it is a brilliant business move by TLG I think.

Last year there was 1,000 of each of the four Super Heroes.

I thought of an easy fix to the Mr. Gold thing. There should have been a regular minifigure that looks exactly the same but in grey, and call him Mr. Grey. And give him a new cane piece, the light saber is weird.

This way even if you feel the top hat, you don't know if he's gold or grey.

[quote name='SSchmidt']How many figs do they actually give away at SDCC?

As a CMF collector, I sure would love a Mr. Gold, but I won't email LEGO if I don't get him :lol:.

As far as it goes, it is a brilliant business move by TLG I think.[/QUOTE]

It's a great ploy that Lego is doing this, makes people try and buy more. Is there another minifigure with the same kind of pieces in this wave to give all the minifig molesters a hard time.

[quote name='bigdaddy']The "adults" want it because they want s full series of 1-10 minifigures. They are acting like children who a toy at the mall when the parents say no.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit the Mr. Gold thing bugs me, but for slightly different reasons. I don't like encouraging the scalper/profiteer/douchebag mentality. When you get the wrong people seeing dollar signs, it makes it less fun and more annoying for people who just like the product and would like to obtain it without jumping through hoops.

One of the reasons I got back into Lego is that Transformers has become a clusterfuck. Hasbro has made it difficult to impossible to get items in their regular toyline, to say nothing of certain store exclusives. It was stressful and annoying to the point that I stopped enjoying it.

I don't want that for Lego. It was a wonderful day when I realized I could buy any current Lego product. If I couldn't find it at a local store, I could order it online or right from Lego. Such a breath of fresh air and a return to sanity.

The minifigures have been a great addition to the Lego world, but they're headed in directions that I find troubling. Changing the case assortments so there are less of certain figures -- that made it more difficult for people here to find some of the Series 9 figures. And now this. What's next?

I actually don't care too much about Mr. Gold himself. If I get one, that would be great. I don't even care about the "value". He'd simply be part of the Series 10 set. But, honestly, I'd be much more pissed if I didn't get a Medusa (wow!) or a Bumblebee Girl or Roman Commander or Warrior Woman or Sad Clown or Trendsetter...

But if I never see Mr. Gold (and I probably won't) I won't lose any sleep over it. There is no way I'll ever be able to collect every Lego minifigure, so what's one less?

And that brings us back full circle, and why I think chase figures and assortment games are ultimately a bad idea. If I start thinking that I don't need to catch 'em all, maybe I won't go buy a set of the next series. Maybe I'll pick and choose. Or maybe I'll skip it entirely. You don't want to ever get into the circumstance where your dependable customers start to abandon you, because the flash-in-the-pan crowd is only going to stay around while the getting is good. And that never lasts.

LEGO changed the case numbers because in Asia they have a box of 30, and wanted to have the boxes have the same ratio. However they could have done 4 in a box.

I think what everyone, yet again, needs to remember, it's a fucking toy. In most parts of the world people worry about having food or water, and we are worried about getting little plastic dudes. :lol:

I would laugh if they release a series with no accessories or distinguishing features. Just straight up regular minifigs. Force everyone to open their bags to see what they got.

I got all series 10 minifigures today but no Mr. Gold and I was the first one to the box -the one they hang on an endcap. They opened the box right from lego in front of me- Is it possible that there was none - I checked every single one.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I would laugh if they release a series with no accessories or distinguishing features. Just straight up regular minifigs. Force everyone to open their bags to see what they got.[/QUOTE]

In Japan they come in eggs from vending machine things in certain stores, now there you get some trading going on.

[quote name='mickeyp']I got all series 10 minifigures today but no Mr. Gold and I was the first one to the box -the one they hang on an endcap. They opened the box right from lego in front of me- Is it possible that there was none - I checked every single one.[/QUOTE]

By my guess, not knowing how many boxes are actually made, that Mr. Gold is in about one out of every 10 to 50 boxes. No where near one in every box.

I don't care about Mr. Gold. If I get one, great I'll sell him to buy more Lego since he can't really fit into my town display. If not, oh well. My only concern is that there is no "normal" version of him so the feeling/scavenging all the good figures will be worse than usual. I like to army build and fortunately it's a relatively light wave for that.

In practice this will probably cause me to buy less figures in this wave. Not because I don't like them, but I figure I am unlikely to find unsearched boxes so I will buy all my wave 10 through the Lego store online and they cap the amount per order.

[quote name='encendido5']Nobody voted this thread as the Best CAG Forum Thread for the Cheapy Awards?? :lol:[/QUOTE]

What?!?! But we have girl on girl jet skiing!!!

[quote name='SSchmidt']The Lego City firetruck ($20 one) is on AWD, like new condition for $14.62
I've thought about buying it, but with the 50+ unopened LEGO sets we have now, I figured we didn't need it! :lol:

However that is THE cheapest price i've seen it, and i've personally never had a problem ordering from AWD ( I do it frequently).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ie=UTF8&qid=1366317768&sr=1-11&condition=used[/QUOTE]

I've been eying it too, but the lat Fire Truck, that I own, was around 7+ years. There is no rush for this one, it's nothing special. Plus there will be BOBO50% and should be around $15 often in the fall.

And it's "liek new" so the box will be fine.

When they were first released idiot cashiers would ring up a whole box of 60 minifigures for $1.99. S now most places don't let you.

[quote name='mickeyp']I got all series 10 minifigures today but no Mr. Gold and I was the first one to the box -the one they hang on an endcap. They opened the box right from lego in front of me- Is it possible that there was none - I checked every single one.[/QUOTE]

Which store did you purchase them at? I checked most my local stores and only a couple had series 9.

[quote name='bigdaddy']What?!?! But we have girl on girl jet skiing!!!

I've been eying it too, but the lat Fire Truck, that I own, was around 7+ years. There is no rush for this one, it's nothing special. Plus there will be BOBO50% and should be around $15 often in the fall.

And it's "liek new" so the box will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I imagine by year end there will be a chance to get it in the $10 range, similar to Walmart's clearance sales this last January.
Either, way, there's a multitude of reasons not to get it just yet.

[quote name='bigdaddy']AWD has SB Glove World for $15. I bought mine for $13 plus 6.25% tax, and it is worth it for the crazy mini figures. :)[/QUOTE]

I see it for $15, but it's also onsale for $17 as well from their regular store. I wonder if it would be worth it to spend the extra 2 bucks? But then again, this is a site designed for being cheap :lol:

[quote name='blandstalker']I'll admit the Mr. Gold thing bugs me, but for slightly different reasons. I don't like encouraging the scalper/profiteer/douchebag mentality. When you get the wrong people seeing dollar signs, it makes it less fun and more annoying for people who just like the product and would like to obtain it without jumping through hoops.[/QUOTE]

That's really the problem with all "collectibles" I have a Target across the street from my office. And every morning I see the same group of "collectors" rush the doors at 8am to pick through the new re-stock. That bugs me, because a kid like my son has less of a chance to find a cool variant or that rare figure. Hell my daughter is having a hard time finding a Monster High doll that is being resold on ebay for X10 its worth. Kids dont care about the resale price all they want is that "cool" toy they saved up for.

Personally, I like the Mr. Gold idea. What I hate is the con exclusives. Unless you attend, and that in itself is a lottery (i'm looking at you SDCC), 99% of fans will never get to hold those figures.

[quote name='SSchmidt']I see it for $15, but it's also onsale for $17 as well from their regular store. I wonder if it would be worth it to spend the extra 2 bucks? But then again, this is a site designed for being cheap :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ummm... it's plastic. No one here has ever missed a piece from AWD and if you do LEGO will give you it for free. I don't see why you want to spend more money on the exact same thing.:whistle2:k

[quote name='bigdaddy']In Japan they come in eggs from vending machine things in certain stores, now there you get some trading going on.

By my guess, not knowing how many boxes are actually made, that Mr. Gold is in about one out of every 10 to 50 boxes. No where near one in every box.[/QUOTE] It wasn't a box it was that large display box that they can hang like on an endcap- so you don't think it was strange that I did not see it? well at least I got the others- a big waste of time. LOL plus it said on the box that street day was May 1 but the guy said I can have them anyway if they go through the scanner.

[quote name='bigdaddy']When they were first released idiot cashiers would ring up a whole box of 60 minifigures for $1.99. S now most places don't let you.[/QUOTE]
Yes I remember this!

[quote name='combatrhombus']Which store did you purchase them at? I checked most my local stores and only a couple had series 9.[/QUOTE]

Target

You will never find a Mister Gold, you will never even hear of one being found around your area. It's incredibly rare.

I di the math for my area of 250,000 people tops. I figured two Targets get 4 boxes, KMart gets 2, TRU gets 20+ and then the Walmart probably bring the total towards 30 boxes at least.

That's 30 boxes for one area and there are 5,000 of these guys for the complete world. If one Fred Meyers had 8 boxes and only one Gold, and I doubt that area will have another unless it was in the city, I'm thinking 1 in 25+ boxes. But no where will it ever be one per box, then you would just need to buy a box and that would solve everything. It's not strange at all you didn't see one, you just wasted your time. :lol:

Oh great I wish I had known I would have stopped after getting my set. Thanks. One worker came over and said to me that another worker said I was opening the packages! I looked at her and said why would I do that I am just feeling them to see what is inside them. I was mad, I should have complained. She said ok, and went on her way.

What store was it at? If it was TRU only the dumbest of all asshole scum work at those places. ;)

(Making fun of Primm; but I worked there briefly too) :lol:

I never understood why people open them, the things are small, just shove them in your pocket. Yes I rather them steal 20 of them then open 1. I was at a Five Below and I couldn't even tell at first that some of them were opened. I would have hated buying an open package.

I can't remember if anyone said this already (I just saw Star Trek: TMP and I feel dead from boredom:lol: ) buy Jabba's Palace is back at 20%, or $95. Better stock up before LEGO stops making them.... in 6 months. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddy']LEGO changed the case numbers because in Asia they have a box of 30, and wanted to have the boxes have the same ratio. However they could have done 4 in a box.[/quote]

Whatever the reason, it was not a change for the better. Uneven case assortments suck, unless they're designed to balance demand. Most of the time, they end up creating artificial demand, which (again) sucks for someone who just wants the fucking toy.

I think what everyone, yet again, needs to remember, it's a fucking toy. In most parts of the world people worry about having food or water, and we are worried about getting little plastic dudes. :lol:

I agree and disagree. This is a Lego thread. We should be able to discuss issues involving Lego here. Any moment we spend here is a moment not feeding the poor, solving the world's problems, or envisioning jetskis with the person-on-person action of your choice. It's all first world problems. Doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them.

I am not going to whine about Mr. Gold and send Lego letters. I think the idea that Lego fans are "entitled" to Mr. Gold to be ridiculous. That said, nor am I going to praise the idea, because I think any kind of promotion where the vast majority of people, especially dedicated fans, will never see the item is fundamentally dumb and counter-productive.

But I consider it the same sort of thing as giving Lego shit over bad sets or overpriced licenses. Mr. Gold (to me) is not much different than saying the new Superman set sucks rocks and is way overpriced for the crappy collection of bricks that makes...I still don't know what.

I think we should express opinions like that and Lego should hear them.

[quote name='blandstalker']

I think we should express opinions like that and Lego should hear them.[/QUOTE]

Of course we can and should talk LEGO, but why should LEGO hear our every view? They do 4+ polls a year, you can express your views then, not sending random emails that no one will bother reading all because you are pissed off that you don;t have the money for some mini figure.

LEGO is one of the best companies on the planet. You have a missing piece, you get it free, you can lose a piece and get it replaced free most of the time. they act like a company with a give away, and everyone get's upset an sends some poor person in CT an email that will get ignored. I'm going to send a useless email saying I love the whole thing.

You know what would be great? Mr. Gold ends up in the hands of a little kid and he/she doesn't even know what it's worth. 10 years from now when that little kid goes into their "dark age", the Lego collection is sold at a yard sale and somebody posts on the forums about their great find.

I have no problem with the mini-figs including Mr. Gold. My wife was kind of excited for the first few series but that interest quickly died out when they addressed the unique barcodes. While the mini-figs are an iconic part of Lego, they're also kind of aside from the point of the toy. Which for me are the builds - taking plans and tweeking them, customizing them and starting new creations from the ground up. The collecting aspect of the sets and the mini-figs are totally tangential.

bread's done
Back