LEGO Deals 3

[quote name='karkyco']Warehouse Deals dropped the price on their good Eiffel Tower set, it's only $940 now :roll:. Might have to go with this Nanoblock set as a much cheaper alternative :lol:.[/QUOTE][quote name='mweav067']Are the Nanoblock sets any good? They look interesting, but the price always makes me shy away from picking one up.[/QUOTE]

I just built that last month. It's pretty good if you're not going to ever touch it again. The pieces don't stick together that well, much less friction than a Lego.
CUwgTuR.jpg

[quote name='bigdaddy']If I were LEGO I'd sue. Kre-o just stole even the same piece designs. Look at the mini Klingon ship, it can be built in Lego exactly, even that piece of the top back looks exactly like LEGO.[/QUOTE]

Problem is that most of the relavent patents Lego owns are expired. The Lego Group has lost recent court battles in Canada (2005) and Europe(2008 and 2010) when they tried to sue Mega Blocks.

[quote name='dys006']I just built that last month. It's pretty good if you're not going to ever touch it again. The pieces don't stick together that well, much less friction than a Lego.
CUwgTuR.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yep agreed 100%. I have a few of the little animal packs that I got for my older daughter, and the two issues I've found are (1) the lack of pieces locking together securely (exacerbated by some of the models having pieces hanging on unsupported such as with the little puppy dog model on its head), and (2) the pieces are very tiny thus difficult to work with if you have big meaty sausage/adult fingers like me.

[quote name='tilcfast']Problem is that most of the relavent patents Lego owns are expired. The Lego Group has lost recent court battles in Canada (2005) and Europe(2008 and 2010) when they tried to sue Mega Blocks.[/QUOTE]

I know, and I'm usually in favor of more building block companies, but take a close look at the piece that is on top of the Klingon ship.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/prod...&displayTab=enh&productId=19758656&totCount=0

It's exactly the same! If I was going to copy LEGO I would at least make my bricks look a little different.

I was going to buy those, but now I'll just copy them in LEGO form. I have most of the pieces. :)

Picked up the the remaining 11 series 10 minifigs at Toy R Us today. Some guy beat to them and bought almost two whole boxes, only a couple duplicates I didn't even try to feel the packages just happy to see them in stores.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I know, and I'm usually in favor of more building block companies, but take a close look at the piece that is on top of the Klingon ship.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/prod...&displayTab=enh&productId=19758656&totCount=0

It's exactly the same! If I was going to copy LEGO I would at least make my bricks look a little different.

I was going to buy those, but now I'll just copy them in LEGO form. I have most of the pieces. :)[/QUOTE]

Great idea I'll have to look and see how many pieces I have. Maybe I can build it too!

[quote name='bigdaddy']I know, and I'm usually in favor of more building block companies, but take a close look at the piece that is on top of the Klingon ship.

I was going to buy those, but now I'll just copy them in LEGO form. I have most of the pieces. :)[/QUOTE]

Their transformer line is pretty much the same in terms of parts. There are some unique parts but they are rehashes for the most part.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm out of the loop but is there the TRU price premium on Lego Minifigures?[/QUOTE]

Yes. But only 20 cents so with the BOGO40% it's still a good deal.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Yes. But only 20 cents so with the BOGO40% it's still a good deal.[/QUOTE]

How long does that last? wanted to get some figures possibly... nothing from series 10 gets me, but I wish I had gotten some of the series 9 figures :whistle2:/

My TRU is out of series 9, but that's because they only do two boxes a week so they don't have them sitting around forever like earlier series. However TRU.com will tell you if they still have series 9 in stock. Series 10 doesn't officially get released until May 1.

And series 10 is kind of boring, but the seagull and the little dog are worth $2.50 alone, they are really well done!

I still need to finish my Series 9 collection, but probably won't get a chance until I get paid at the end of next week. Hopefully I can still find them at that point.

I need the Mermaid, Knight, White Armor Guy, and the Roller Derby Girl. I just can't seem to find them.

You can't find the knight? There were dozens I had felt up.

My minifigures were $3.49 for either series 7 or 8, but it only lasted that one series then went back to normal*.

*Normal TRU markup.

The new series are usually $3.19 at TRU in my area which then drops the previous series to $2.99. IN the case of minifigs I don't mind paying TRU an extra 20 cents to get them first. Walmarts and Targets usually don't get them until months after TRU does in my area. Target is the exception in this case since they are holding them until May 1.

Stopped at Walmart this morning and picked up a MF Vampyre hearse for $25 on clearance. I also picked up the MoS Metropolis showdown and Escape From Black Zero sets.

[quote name='mweav067']I still need to finish my Series 9 collection, but probably won't get a chance until I get paid at the end of next week. Hopefully I can still find them at that point.

I need the Mermaid, Knight, White Armor Guy, and the Roller Derby Girl. I just can't seem to find them.[/QUOTE]

Max Power from here suggested miniaturetrading.com and I have a couple of trades going right now that completed my Series 9, I really like the site a good spot to find figures you don't have.

Speaking of minifigs I went to TRU at lunch and they just put out a case of series 10. I didn't have time to feel them out so I just bought the whole case since they are BOGO 40% off plus I had a $10 coupon.

jdiknight24 I got your pm but I have no idea what to offer on the retail store.

[quote name='bigdaddy']My TRU is out of series 9, but that's because they only do two boxes a week so they don't have them sitting around forever like earlier series. However TRU.com will tell you if they still have series 9 in stock. Series 10 doesn't officially get released until May 1.[/quote]

I was surprised that both my local TRUs had some series 9. They hadn't been able to keep them in stock for the longest time. I picked up a few extra Cyclops and another Knight because of the BOGO40.

[quote name='bigdaddy']And series 10 is kind of boring, but the seagull and the little dog are worth $2.50 alone, they are really well done![/QUOTE]

I disagree. I really like this series. There are a few standouts -- the Roman Commander and the Warrior Woman, the Medusa, the Sad Clown.

Nearly everything else is either detailed or has something really special about it. I thought I was going to dread the Mechanic, for instance. I felt up a lot of wrenches when trying to complete the set, and thought it was going to be a filler type figure. But the details really make it. A studded belt with a skull. Tattoos. A pocket chain. The ragged vest armholes. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

The Decorator and the Paintball Player are covered with paint splotches, but they're different kinds for each. The mohawk on the Tomahawk Warrior. The bald head for the Grandpa. The bee accessories. There are just so many details, and all of them seem to be well thought-out.

The only ones that don't do much for me are the Baseball Fielder and the Skydiver. Neither one is bad. But they just don't have as much going on.

I also really like how there's a mix between very simple figures that exude charm -- the Bumblebee Girl and the Sad Clown -- and insanely detailed figures like the Roman Commander and the Warrior Woman. It makes me feel like Lego continues to up the quality and design, but they're still delivering elegance. It's not always about more of everything, but it's also knowing when less is more and when you can work magic with very simple and restrained designs.

Now I just have to pick up an extra Medusa or two. What genius decided 2 per box was a good idea? I've been to several places with Series 10 now, and haven't been able to find another one.

May the 4th preview is out. Free shipping with orders over $49, free Hoth Han Solo exclusive minifig with $75 Star Wars purchase, and free poster with any Star Wars order.

[quote name='encendido5']May the 4th preview is out. Free shipping with orders over $49, free Hoth Han Solo exclusive minifig with $75 Star Wars purchase, and free poster with any Star Wars order.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there Hoth Han in a set just a couple years ago? What a boring minifig for them to give away.

[quote name='ackbar7']Wasn't there Hoth Han in a set just a couple years ago? What a boring minifig for them to give away.[/QUOTE]

Hell, at this point I think there's been at least half a dozen variants of the Hoth Han.

[quote name='ackbar7']Wasn't there Hoth Han in a set just a couple years ago? What a boring minifig for them to give away.[/QUOTE]

There's one in the new (big) Echo Base set. I have a bunch from the old small Echo Base set that was on clearance for awhile at Kmart years ago.

It's a cool looking fig but I always hope for something more "special."

5001621-1.jpg

I agree with blandstalker. Series 10 is win! The detail of the CMF's have spoiled me compared to minifigs that come with building sets. As much as I love the Palace theater the minifigs in the set are boring as hell.

Went through my series 10 case last night and the case breakdown (which I checked against what others have posted) is -

6x - baseball fielder, motorcycle mechanic, roman commander, skydiver
4x - decorator, paintball player, revolutionary soldier, sad clown, tomahawk warrior, warrior woman
2x - bumblebee girl, librarian, grandpa, Medusa, sea captain, trendsetter

I've asked a guy on another board who found Mr. Gold if he is the 61st figure in the case or if he replaces someone else but the poster wasn't sure.

Also this was the first time in a while - because of the packaging color - that the dot codes actually came in handy.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Brickset has some pictures of a massive LotR tower set that cost $200 and has 2200+ pieces, be out in July.[/QUOTE]

Orthanc? Hmm, gotta look it up now.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Brickset has some pictures of a massive LotR tower set that cost $200 and has 2200+ pieces, be out in July.[/QUOTE]

That actually looks cool, I will wait for a review though. I wonder how tall it's going to be.

[quote name='skiizim']that actually looks cool, i will wait for a review though. I wonder how tall it's going to be.[/quote]

28".

It's a little weird to me that they mixed two separate scenes into the set. Gandalf being freed by an eagle, and when the ents kick Saruman's butt. Yet they didn't include Merry and Pippin.

I don't think series 10 is bad, the worst thee to me is the third one, I just don't see any I want tons of "army building" or anything I would go "This would be great in ______ MOC!"

[quote name='El Rey']I agree with blandstalker. Series 10 is win! The detail of the CMF's have spoiled me compared to minifigs that come with building sets. As much as I love the Palace theater the minifigs in the set are boring as hell.

Went through my series 10 case last night and the case breakdown (which I checked against what others have posted) is -

6x - baseball fielder, motorcycle mechanic, roman commander, skydiver
4x - decorator, paintball player, revolutionary soldier, sad clown, tomahawk warrior, warrior woman
2x - bumblebee girl, librarian, grandpa, Medusa, sea captain, trendsetter

I've asked a guy on another board who found Mr. Gold if he is the 61st figure in the case or if he replaces someone else but the poster wasn't sure.

Also this was the first time in a while - because of the packaging color - that the dot codes actually came in handy.[/QUOTE]

Interesting information, I see why I have found 3 motorcycle mechanics and 2 skydivers. What do you do with your extra figures? keep them, ebay, trade???

Some of the extras have been claimed by my buddy, wife and kids. The extras I have opened are up for trade (see list below) and whatevers left over I'll probably just return.

The LotR set looks awesome! Will probably wait for a sale to pick it up though.

Went to Target at lunch and found a City cement mixer on clearance for $5.98

As for my CMF trade list -

Haves

Series 10
roman commander x 2
baseball fielder

Wants

Series 1
robot
magician
deep sea diver
ninja
nurse
skater
spaceman
super wrestler
tirbal hunter
circus clown
demolition dummy

Series 2
explorer
maraca man
pop star
ringmaster
disco dude

Series 3
tennis player
hula dancer
space alien

Series 5
small clown
ice fisherman
graduate
detective

Series 7
bride

[quote name='El Rey']
Series 1

ninja
[/QUOTE]

I've had one of these on my desk just looking at me for a while now. Send me your info and it's yours.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']God damn you Lego, you just cost me $200...[/QUOTE]

Let the wife know what your interested in, I'm sure she will say otherwise.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']God damn you Lego, you just cost me $200...[/QUOTE]

More like, another $200.

I really hope they release smaller Ent sets.. I'd buy a few if they were like $20 and came with 2 orcs each.

My husband bought my son (11 years old) the Lego Minecraft, he ordered it in store and they delivered it for free. They also gave him a $5 coupon off of a purchase for next time, not sure why they gave it to him. We got it in mail yesterday. My son opened it quickly and started to put it together, It is missing one little brown piece, so I ordered it on Lego site. It is really cute and my son likes it. My son used another brown piece until we get it though.

[quote name='encendido5']I'm surprised it's open in the back.

Tough if it wasn't, it would probably cost $3-400.[/QUOTE]

Just buy two. Easy mod. :D

I just got the May-June LEGO Club Magazine And in it there is a neat LotR poster of the black gate set. But more interesting There is a new LEGO Master Builder Academy that is finally coming out. Looks like it will be Steampunk. Which is really cool.

Speaking of Lego MBA, how does one get set 7-9, it's not listed on the Lego website and I'm not sure I've seen it at the local Lego store? You don't have to buy the other sets to get the third level do you?

[quote name='etcrane']Speaking of Lego MBA, how does one get set 7-9, it's not listed on the Lego website and I'm not sure I've seen it at the local Lego store? You don't have to buy the other sets to get the third level do you?[/QUOTE]

They will repackage it as a set like they did with 2-3 and 4-6.

well I searched all stores in my area that carried Minifigures and everywhere had people buy the boxes out :whistle2:/

So instead I just hopped on ebay and ordered the two figures I wanted from series 9 and that's it... only paid $1.50 over msrp for them anyway so saved myself time.

bread's done
Back