LEGO Deals 3

I think the stadiums are a bit too specific. If you're a big soccer fan, wouldn't you just want to buy the stadium for your specific club? How many people are really going to want to buy a random stadium or even multiple stadiums?

New Harry Potter set. On the fence. Owl looks nice, but seems really tossed together.

$250. Releases 9/15. Preorders available now.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/hogwarts-icons-collectors-edition-76391?icmp=HP-SHMBL-Standard-HP_MBL_76391_Hogwarts_Icons_Product_HP-PR-HP-S81AIRACB3

76391_alt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the stadiums are a bit too specific. If you're a big soccer fan, wouldn't you just want to buy the stadium for your specific club? How many people are really going to want to buy a random stadium or even multiple stadiums?
TIL there are two LEGO soccer stadiums. Agree not many folks are going to buy multiple stadiums of different teams.

I think Lego isn't trying to reach the "gotta get them all" crowd with the soccer stadiums. Maybe the fan base for one club is big enough that Lego thinks there's enough market for a novelty purchase of their favorite team's stadium? I don't know. I'm not interested in them or any sports stadium. I also have zero interest in the Architecture series but apparently they're decently popular with "adults" (based on Amazon data) so WTF do I know. (yeah no need to answer that)

Barcelona has more fans than there are adults in the US. ManU is top 3 as well. Just for perspective, that's like easily 20x the most popular American football team's fans. It's not that different than buying a Death Star if you think about it. If there's another one, it'll probably be Real Madrid's stadium.

Brickset was at around table about the color varigations. After the British test they will NOT be made available world wide because it's not possible.

Which makes no sense. They can't make more of the pieces? really stupid. I don't understand Lego.

We are getting an oversized Minifigures scale Santa Sleigh that has FOUR reindeer.

2022 City will have a new hospital, it's first ever school and school bus and some weird Coast Guard thing that comes with street plates.

2022 with also have a Star Wars battle pack, Hoth based with a stand to connect to the new UCS ATAT that comes out in November. $20 for 105 pieces.

The mini Disney Castle comes with a Mickey Mouse figure.

Tried selling Lego at a flea market “toy show.” Had sealed stuff marked cheaper than eBay ( at least 30% and sometimes 50% below sold prices and nothing more than $80).

I didn’t have much luck. People want less-than-msrp deals, which I understand because I’m the same way. Going to try a legit toy show next weekend so if anyone lives in the Lehigh Valley, Pa, area, hit me up with interests and I’ll try to make it worth your while.

Finally put together the Friends Central Perk set.  That was a more interesting build than I expected.  Loved the angled wall, the open floor with the SNOT rug/floor designs.  I also like the "Service" sign sticking out into the cafe.  That was a nice little touch.  

Now I just need to pick up the Apartment set (and Seinfeld, despite that one not looking as impressive).  

Tried selling Lego at a flea market “toy show.” Had sealed stuff marked cheaper than eBay ( at least 30% and sometimes 50% below sold prices and nothing more than $80).
I didn’t have much luck. People want less-than-msrp deals, which I understand because I’m the same way. Going to try a legit toy show next weekend so if anyone lives in the Lehigh Valley, Pa, area, hit me up with interests and I’ll try to make it worth your while.
Any chance you have any or a complete set of 71028 Harry Potter series 2? I already have Pomona Sprout, Neville Longbottom, George Weasley and Griphook. I missed out on these during Walmart clearance and only found Vidiyo packs which I have at least 1 of each sealed except for DJ Cheetah and Banshee Singer if your interested. Or if anyone else can help please let me know. I’m interested in less than eBay prices.

Finally put together the Friends Central Perk set. That was a more interesting build than I expected. Loved the angled wall, the open floor with the SNOT rug/floor designs. I also like the "Service" sign sticking out into the cafe. That was a nice little touch.

Now I just need to pick up the Apartment set (and Seinfeld, despite that one not looking as impressive).
I'm not a friend's fan, I actually hate the show, but Central Park is a wonderful set.

My problem with the Friends and Seinfeld Apartments are the use of stickers. Central Perk have some great printed pieces along with stickers. The newer sets don't seem to have that.

And don't forget the QueerEye apartment set comes out soon.

I would say that selling LEGO at a flea market is more of a venue issue than a product demand issue. Flea markets, at least in my area, are notorious for pain in the ass hagglers and low ballers. They’re great for clearing out junk you don’t need and finding semi-decent deals, but I wouldn’t advise trying to sell a LEGO collection of any real worth through that type of venue.

1. Your product stock is sitting out in the sun all day and getting touched by countless people. 2. Most people at Flea Markets don’t have a ton of money … yes, there’s always the “rich” people that come looking for deals … but that’s exactly the problem, the people who have money and know the value of what you have also want it for 50% off the actual value.

So basically you get people with very little money looking for deals and no perception of the value of sealed sets … or you get really cheap wealthier buyers who are even more annoying imo.

Personally, I would stick to selling online … preferably via Facebook Market or Craigslist where shipping and fees don’t kill your profits. And probably eBay for really rare sets … but that’s just my two cents. Flea Markets can be profitable, but in this economic climate you’ll find way more suffering and difficult customers than amazing profits imo.

Personally, I would stick to selling online … preferably via Facebook Market or Craigslist where shipping and fees don’t kill your profits. And probably eBay for really rare sets … but that’s just my two cents. Flea Markets can be profitable, but in this economic climate you’ll find way more suffering and difficult customers than amazing profits imo.
Your points are all valid. It was all an experiment for me. People seem to do well enough at the nicer flea markets nearby selling video games and action figures, but nobody ever sells Lego aside from the occasional bin full of soiled bricks. And I found out it's likely for all the reasons you mentioned. I wasn't looking for big profits, just an easy spot between the inflated eBay highs and the resellers' "I'll give you 20 cents on the dollar." I'm going to try some legit toy shows (and try to do some pre-hype through Craigslist), but then eventually go to Facebook Marketplace. I know I'm only hurting myself with my grudge, but eBay can eat a bag of dicks.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to get rid of?
I started buying clearance Lego in the late 90s, so if it's been on clearance in the past 20 years, I probably have it in my attic. Which is too much. I keep buying Lego because, well, I love Lego but I only build a fraction of what I buy and kept buying duplicates. So then I look around and wonder WTF I have 22 Prince of Persia sets. Take that example and multiply it over most themes since the first Star Wars sets, and that's my first world problem.

My brother calls me a hoarder, and I think, well okay, yeah I do have too much Lego, but having 7 Mill Village Raid sets isn't the same as having a pile of old pizza boxes. I mean, 7189 has 2 Lego goats, so I guess I needed 7 of them.

I started buying clearance Lego in the late 90s, so if it's been on clearance in the past 20 years, I probably have it in my attic. Which is too much. I keep buying Lego because, well, I love Lego but I only build a fraction of what I buy and kept buying duplicates. So then I look around and wonder WTF I have 22 Prince of Persia sets. Take that example and multiply it over most themes since the first Star Wars sets, and that's my first world problem.

My brother calls me a hoarder, and I think, well okay, yeah I do have too much Lego, but having 7 Mill Village Raid sets isn't the same as having a pile of old pizza boxes. I mean, 7189 has 2 Lego goats, so I guess I needed 7 of them.
I found Mercari to be decent alternative to eBay. Fees aren't quite as bad but you don't get paid until the buyer leaves you feedback. On the plus side, if the buyer doesn't leave feedback within 3 days of receiving the item, you automatically get positive feedback and get paid. The sale is also final after the buyer leaves feedback. I don't find there to be as many people on Mercari so some of my less in demand games stay for sale longer or I don't sell them for as much but I like knowing the risk of return is closed after 3 days. Mercari also does what ebay is doing in that they hold your money until you decide to transfer it to your bank account.
This is CAG so we all hoard to some degree. I consider it inventory accumulation with intention to sell

Checkout lanes or toy section?
Checkout lanes

I found Mercari to be decent alternative to eBay. Fees aren't quite as bad
Within the last year Mercari upped their fees which put them essentially the same as eBay at this point
One of the pluses of Mercari is no bidding, can make offers
I try to sell local or through message boards, forums before listing online but sometimes it’s worth just paying eBay, Mercari fees to not deal with flakes or low ballers

Checkout lanes

Within the last year Mercari upped their fees which put them essentially the same as eBay at this point
One of the pluses of Mercari is no bidding, can make offers
I try to sell local or through message boards, forums before listing online but sometimes it’s worth just paying eBay, Mercari fees to not deal with flakes or low ballers
Yea, looking at Mercari fees, it's the exact same as eBay's old 10% FVF + 3% PayPal fee + $0.30 PayPal fee.

One advantage (for sellers) I’ve heard for Mercari is the short window for a buyer to make a complaint and eBay will pretty much always side with the buyer.

I soured on eBay when a buyer claimed her credit card was stolen and I was left to pay all the fees and shipping on a $700 item. eBay and PayPal said it was my problem. Like wtf. PayPal approved the transaction, item was sent to a verified address, what was I supposed to do?

One advantage (for sellers) I’ve heard for Mercari is the short window for a buyer to make a complaint and eBay will pretty much always side with the buyer.

I soured on eBay when a buyer claimed her credit card was stolen and I was left to pay all the fees and shipping on a $700 item. eBay and PayPal said it was my problem. Like wtf. PayPal approved the transaction, item was sent to a verified address, what was I supposed to do?
I probably would have filed something with the Post Master General or something. That sounds like mail fraud.

But it's also why I insure things that are more than a couple hundred. Although, I don't know if it covers cases like that.

I probably would have filed something with the Post Master General or something. That sounds like mail fraud.

But it's also why I insure things that are more than a couple hundred. Although, I don't know if it covers cases like that.
The item (it was an Imperial Flagship) was returned to me more than a month later after “refused delivery” but the box looked like the UPS driver kicked it back into his truck. Set itself was dented pretty bad. That whole transaction didn’t make sense.

I can see why your sour over ebay, I would loose my shit over that.

PS.... You can never have enough LEGO, hoarder status engaged!!!!

Just got my case of Marvel minifigures!

Just got my case of Marvel minifigures!

l]
That’s awesome that you can still do that (through Entertainment Earth, right?)

I still have my boxes of Series 1 and 2 from them (although I think I swapped out a wrestler for a crash test dummy because I never found one at TRU).

My mom's a hoarder, she hoarders useless shit no one wants like gift wrap and bags. Useless kitchen things like a yogurt maker, coffee maker (she doesn't like coffee) or bread maker. She barely cooks.

It's not like Lego will lose it's value. As long as you aren't hoarding bags or news papers or boxes you are fine.

So the next Nintendo set seems to be a big block that macro builds come out of.... IDK.

Also the Winter Village set is a blue house that reminds me of the cottage.

I think I like the ? Block, but my interest in buying it will probably depend on what the construction of the inner contraption is like.  A big yellow block with question marks on it doesn't seem like a very interesting build otherwise.

Nice! That’s a good looking set in that color. Not much of a vehicle guy, but I think I prefer the blue to yellow.

Wonder if the Titanic will be worth it. Like the Mario mystery cube but not enough to buy it over a modular. If the Home Alone set is done like a modular, with 4 walls, I’ll definitely buy it as my last big 2021 LEGO purchase. If it’s like Stranger Things, I’ll probably pass. Hoping those end of year sets leak soon … curious about the AT-AT too … but I don’t collect enough Star Wars to seriously consider it.

I’m just saving for that Cat D11 track type tractor. I have a patent on the actual machine, so it’ll be a cool to display them together

Winter Village set is pretty meh. If you took out the mistletoe, nothing with the building screams Christmas. It looks more like a ski lodge, which would have been more interesting.

Not only that but the cottage years ago was a similar blue and look at the exterior, it's very flat and blah. There is no texture, not even on the chimney.

I get the complaint about the flat exterior but, overall I like it.  

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I keep seeing the Hogsmeade set thinking it would fit in great with the WV series.

I get the complaint about the flat exterior but, overall I like it.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I keep seeing the Hogsmeade set thinking it would fit in great with the WV series.
I like it. The light up tree is awesome. Just after the last two sets it's very smooth and flat.

That HP was a must buy for me because it looks nice and wintery until I saw the green lattice on the round windows is a sticker.

bread's done
Back