LEGO Deals 3

A true CheapAss wouldn't fly Delta.
What are you going to do, fly Southwest? You would never get to Denmark... or off the ground.

A real Cheapass wouldn't buy $500 LEGO sets, they would buy the $100 ripoffs. (Which I will probably start doing soon.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Norwegian used to have cheap flights to Europe but that business model crapped out even before the pandemic. The pirate set is the first House exclusive i'd be tempted to pay a premium for, but I'm too cheap for that. 

Norwegian used to have cheap flights to Europe but that business model crapped out even before the pandemic. The pirate set is the first House exclusive i'd be tempted to pay a premium for, but I'm too cheap for that.
It's $90USD! Nevermind whatever mark up buying it from Bricklink.

Can we pool our resources and send BigD to clean out the Lego House stock?
I do have family in Germany I can visit. They used to be LEGO fans but it's been a few years so I don't know if they still are. Would have to be sooner, I'm much more busy in the summer.

Also I'm going to need some strong drugs to get on the plan. Anything Zelenskyy or Biden or Trump Jr. Takes will be fine.

I went to the LEGO site to check something like 10 minutes ago to check something. Ran fine.I went just now, the KPop set has broken the site. The stupid queue now doesn't even tell you how long it will be or how many are in front of you.

I went to the LEGO site to check something like 10 minutes ago to check something. Ran fine.I went just now, the KPop set has broken the site. The stupid queue now doesn't even tell you how long it will be or how many are in front of you.
All better now, mini super star destroyer is going to pair well with the mini star destroyer from several years ago.

Target has new polybags online including Harry Potter quidditch, but “sold out” for now.

I don’t normally care about marketing, but the sales pitch Lego does with 18+sets about “mindful” builds is difficult to read. Yeah it’s mindful to me that Lego is up charging 18+ display sets because they feel they can.

Target has new polybags online including Harry Potter quidditch, but “sold out” for now.

I don’t normally care about marketing, but the sales pitch Lego does with 18+sets about “mindful” builds is difficult to read. Yeah it’s mindful to me that Lego is up charging 18+ display sets because they feel they can.
You have a link for it?

Interesting press release.

Today, the LEGO Group is kicking off its celebration of Disney’s 100th anniversary by recreating some of the most beloved Disney movie moments in iconic LEGO brick form as part of its new #SharetheWonder video series.

The three-part series will feature scenes from timeless Disney and Pixar movies, and will encourage fans to share their own favourite LEGO built Disney moments on social media using #SharetheWonder. The #SharetheWonder series will debut throughout the next month on LEGO.com, LEGO social channels and Disney’s YouTube.

Disney100 is a celebration of timeless storytelling and unforgettable characters that have entertained and inspired people of all ages for a century. To commemorate 100 years of Disney, the LEGO Group is inviting families to share the wonder of storytelling, imagination, and creative play that LEGO Disney has inspired over the 24 years since it launched.

The LEGO Group has also revealed its first collection of 'Disney100' products to help fans of all ages experience the magic of LEGO Disney storytelling:
So we will get two more waves of Disney 100 sets.

Seeing the Disney castle that was rumored turn out to be a duplo set was swift kick in the nuts
Well those nuts are getting unkicked because the rumoured Disney castle is priced at $160 or $170. So you are in luck, we are getting another castle.

(Probably turn out to be minidolls though.)

Oh well that’s good to hear … I think. Cinderellas castle (WDW) is a lot bigger than Sleeping Beauty’s Castle (DLR) so lower piece count and price may make sense. They have already done a few different castles in the Disney mini doll line so hopefully this isn’t more of that.

Someone in of the LEGO fb groups I’m in mentioned that the reason goats are so expensive is because LEGO lost or broke the mold, which is the same reason why we don’t get a new monorail. I just have a hard time reconciling why the biggest toy maker in the world, a multibillion dollar corporation who raised prices on sets last year can’t take a little from their massive profits to make new molds, for products people already want, which they will in turn make more money from. (Channeling my inner BigD here)

Someone in of the LEGO fb groups I’m in mentioned that the reason goats are so expensive is because LEGO lost or broke the mold, which is the same reason why we don’t get a new monorail. I just have a hard time reconciling why the biggest toy maker in the world, a multibillion dollar corporation who raised prices on sets last year can’t take a little from their massive profits to make new molds, for products people already want, which they will in turn make more money from. (Channeling my inner BigD here)
Yes! Come to the dark side.

But that's a lie. It used to be the case that when a mold broke it cost a lot to fix it, but how many new animals do we get a year? They brought back an elephant after I'm guessing the older molds were no good. We have several new cats and dogs every year. We have fucking otters! OTTERS!

But a small goat? Nah that cost too much.

LEGO designers have talked about how the mold is broken and it makes sets they want to build go out of LEGO's predetermine budget (Each set has it's price point made BEFORE the set is designed.) It's just LEGO being LEGO. The last 5 years had at least 20 sets which would be perfect to bring it back, Mickey Mouse boat, The JP set, this year's JP 30th anniversary sets, the farm sets, the $400 castle. Nope.

More interestingly is the 'leaked' 2024 sets that people were asked what they thought of them and how much would they pay, there was a brown goat in one of them!

The monorail is different because that would need to connect to the old monorails which were not made by LEGO, it was made by a third party, just like raised baseplates. So those would cost too much or wouldn't match the old ones and be a completely new system.

Didn’t know about the monorail being third party but they can afford to make a whole new system themselves at this point. People will buy it and it can be used for space, city, Disney themes at minimum

Didn’t know about the monorail being third party but they can afford to make a whole new system themselves at this point. People will buy it and it can be used for space, city, Disney themes at minimum
I remember reading an interview, many years ago, like 10-12, that the designers of a train had to fight with LEGO with making new train wheels for one of the Creator train sets. LEGO claimed that because trains don't sell they should not invest in train only pieces. LEGO makes billions and is cheaper than cheap. They ended up using those wheels on the Toy Story Train and probably the $500 Harry Potter junk train.

There is no reason not to make a new monorail system, and with tech they can probably make it match the older design. They have made 15 roller coaster pieces and about 12 of them are exclusive two one or two sets. Make a new monorail and charge $1,000 for it, it would still sell. If LEGO thinks it wouldn't just add a classic Space theme to it.

Disney is doing several big sets this yet 43222 is 4837 pieces, comes out in July. 43226 has 500 pieces and 43227 has 1800 pieces and is an 18+ set. So a chance for two castles in the there. The 432-- numbers have been minifigure based.

Another warning about ordering from LEGO, be REALLY careful to check your orders. They are trying to charge me for shipping on a $35 order AFTER I placed the order. So it seems I will have to argue with my credit card about denying the whole order. 

[attachment=37797:DF401BAC-3072-491B-BB42-35530641A3C8.jpeg][attachment=37798:336E0048-C354-465F-AA80-681391F85F67.jpeg][attachment=37799:42F3B6E0-987D-48A3-A74F-B698249B0254.jpeg]

The hat with the molded hair is kind of weirding me out. The whole wave just feels off to me.
This is pretty much how I feel about 90% of LEGO sets in 2023, they just feel off. What bothers me is LEGO is too damn cheap to bring back the correct plane cockpit so they used a round 2x4x6 window and a front of car piece. It's just a mess. They should have made the hat lighter brown and his hair darker, it would look better.

I hope LEGO doesn't screw up the Jurassic Park sets.

Also LEGO owed me $1.89, they finally refunded me... $1.63. :lol:

Lego sales went up and LEGO made another two billion dollars in net profit. So what does Lego do? Charge $16 for an 88 piece micro fighter.

I felt the most recent wave of $10 sets over several themes was really good but then Lego has to go back to doing Lego things.

I felt the most recent wave of $10 sets over several themes was really good but then Lego has to go back to doing Lego things.
The $10 City and Friend sets are amazing, but I think it's clear this is the last year of that. Next year they will be $13-$15.

By Huw in United Kingdom,

07 Mar 2023 09:18
@Crushmaster said:
"Nice, so profits and revenue continue to rise while the new pricing is out of sight. Really makes one feel appreciated as a longtime customer."

Would you prefer them to drop, risking the long-term future of the company?
Huw is the founder of Brickset. I already hated him (Ignorant clown couldn't admit he was wrong.) but damn is he an idiot.

I highly suggest reading the topic because the comments are amazing. Half the people are defending the price hikes saying they were minor (60% price hike on a micro vehicle in three months) and the other half are like "fuck you Lego".

What I havent seen pointed is the fact if next profit went down 25% year to year Lego still would have made 1.5 billion dollars! Oh no net sales only went up 4%. It's not like Lego started at zero, they started at 2 billion dollars!

Bootlickers gonna lick boots.

I enjoy Lego’s products, but I’m not gonna sit here and wring my hands if they go out of business (let’s be real not hiking prices isn’t going to make them go out of business anyway).

People really need to take a step back and stop worshiping brands and corporations as if it’s their sole identity. I like a lot of things owned by giant corporations, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Lego, Nintendo, Asmodee games, but I’m not gonna sit and defend any of them as if they’re my children. They’re companies, they make stuff, I consume that stuff. If they get too ridiculous in pricing or otherwise, I stop consuming their stuff. People need to really take step back and realize corporations aren’t their friends.

Lego doesn’t give a single shit about any of us, they just want their cheddar, which is fine but at a certain point people need to stop just blindly following and defending these corporate actions. Last week when I was grabbing groceries I took a spin through the Lego aisle, as you do. They had everything but the Fast and Furious Nissan Skyline for the new Speed line. I skipped all of them, I like the line but $25 for those cars is crazy, it’s not worth it.

The price hikes are ridiculous, full stop. As has been pointed out they made a massive profit last year, they raised prices because they could, not because they had to. Look at about 8 (or so?) years back when they did their last price hike because oil prices were climbing, they never bothered to decrease their prices after prices for oil plummeted, because they didn’t have to. Inflation was just a convenient excuse this time around to increase price/profits.

Alright, I’m done now, I’ll get off my soapbox.

I’m not crazy about any of the sets, the Jeep that comes with the brachiosaurus tree set looks good though. The explorer and jeep with canopy top, not so much.

Also, kind of amusing the 4+ set seems to be inspired by probably the scariest/darkest part of the movie when Muldoon gets eaten and Ellie runs for the bunker. Too bad they didn’t include an extra arm in the set.

I’m in on the Nedry $20 set. The rest are taking dinosaur tax to the extreme. Given Lego’s affinity to poop and toilets, I’m surprised they dropped the ball again by not having the lawyer. Fingers crossed he’s a GWP

I’m in on the Nedry $20 set. The rest are taking dinosaur tax to the extreme.
I'm VERY shocked that the price isn't $30 and wouldn't be shocked at all if LEGO fixed that 'mistake' by the time the sets are released.

Someone on Brickset brought up a great point...

Not sure if someone mentioned this yet but that Dilophosaurus Ambush set, with its Speed Champions sized Jeep and dino animal, is only $4 more than the Star Wars N-1 Microfighter set that was revealed yesterday.

How does that work?
This is the problem with LEGO pricing, it's clear it's not based on anything besides greed. A 10% increase in price across the board fine, but you get 88 pieces and 1.5 Microfighter for $16. A jeep and dinosaur for $20, then Speed Champs is pretty much the same, but $25 now.

There's a couple 500 VIP point Mario polybags that may have been on Lego.com for awhile but I just noticed. As well as the Earhart plane returning for 1800 points mentioned on reddit. 

Earhart is sold out. I would have grabbed another if I was placing an order in the next week. Remember even with a code you aren't guaranteed the set and it can still sell out.

Interesting that we aren't getting a new women month set this year. Lego no longer cares about women!

Excited to see more plastic dinosaur sets, some even include a small buildable item as well! Very excited for more building facades rather than full buildings because they reduce plastic waste and can be easily recycled once you’re done looking at how ugly and unfulfilling they are.

The "facade with minfigure accessories" has been a staple, particularly of licensed lines, for a while now. Continuing the long tradition of reusing the same idea across every theme that includes greatest hits like "2-wheeled cart with minifigure," "themed 4-wheeled vehicle for super hero who doesn't need a vehicle," and "themed Ninjago/Superhero mech."

It's lazy AF, but these things must sell well and/or cost practically nothing to design after the first one so Lego keeps rolling them out until the numbers indicate otherwise. They're certainly capable of doing more interesting builds, like the smaller Creator 3-1 buildings, but I assume it's a cost/benefit thing that lends them to be lazy with these licensed sets instead.

The "facade with minfigure accessories"
I have the facade with minifigures for Jurassic World 2. The house actually worked like that. The doesn't. It's one of the most iconic things in Jurassic franchise and that's a mess. I'm a huge Jurassic fan, and these suck as much as the last two movies.

The pricing is insane. The $40 4+ set is 37 Euro, yet the $20 Jeep set is 27 Euro. So clearly that one will be $25-$30 by the time it comes out. Also just more proof LEGO pulls pricing out of their asses.

I'm down for all the JP sets but that 4+ set pricing is just fucking asinine. 

I like that the Jeep is the new 8-wide Speed Champion style and priced as such.

At 11am Eastern tomorrow, MAR10 day, Lego will be unveiling Donkey Kong. Not an 18+ set.

LEGO-Donkey-Kong-Teaser.jpg

Wait, are they doing another $200+ set like Bowser, with Donkey Kong… brought to you by the same company that made a $350 Black Panther bust…

Or is it not being an 18+ set that indicates it won’t be one of those expensive shelf pieces?

I have nearly all the JP set, but I'm done with them now. Too similar, too expensive, and too dumb looking.

DK announcement on Mar10 day? WTH.

Wait, are they doing another $200+ set like Bowser, with Donkey Kong… brought to you by the same company that made a $350 Black Panther bust…

Or is it not being an 18+ set that indicates it won’t be one of those expensive shelf pieces?
LEGO said last week that the reveal tomorrow will NOT be an 18+ set, so it might be affordable. It will most likely be a DK in the style of Mario.

So we are getting a new Bowser's Castle that looks like the last one with more fire and a weird Bowser. LEGO built a 10 foot tall Bowser for shows and he's going around the world. They need to be environmentally friendly so I'm sure shipping a massive two ton thing will not cause any global warming issues. Donkey Kong is brick built, and Mario can ride him. He can't ride Yoshi but he can ride DK? Has that ever happened in any Mario games ever? 

That was it. The only new set shown was Bowser's Castle, that is just an expansion set, and a brick built Donkey Kong. 

Now we have pictures.

92693_DK1.png

71423-1.jpg

bread's done
Back