Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
Target has Cartwheels for 25% off starter packs and 75% off Movie and Chima fun packs
Thanks. I ended up buying the Lego movie and Chima figures I was missing. I'll buy any of these figures for under $4.

I honestly don't even know anything about Lego Chima. I guess I need to use these figures in the game or play the Lego Chima ps vita game I have sitting on the shelf... or just Google it.

Really disappointed in the Midway arcade pack being so short (considering how nostalgic and fun it was) but also kinda bewildered by it. Is it really true all the arcade content is strewn across all those other levels? It has to be the only pack that has such a strange cross functionality with the game. I just saddens me that the wizard likely won't tell me fun facts in all the other levels!
i hate that the character is some nondescript "gamer kid" but that thing comes with the Spy Hunter car, a Defender cabinet, and I read it has a goddamn Rampage level in it

so I'm buying it

i hate that the character is some nondescript "gamer kid" but that thing comes with the Spy Hunter car, a Defender cabinet, and I read it has a goddamn Rampage level in it

so I'm buying it
Yeah, it sets up as the most epic level pack you could possibly imagine and then jumps right off a cliff with no resolution. I don't have much of a reason to replay the game but am more tempted to perfect it and collect all the games. Just wish the whole thing was done a bit more elegantly. It was absolutely surreal (and fun) explaining the entirety of 80's arcade gaming to my seven year old though as he played through it.

Does anyone know what historic low prices have been for these things? I am thinking we might jump into this. Clearly last week was the time to buy those sets at Target, but we missed that by a day.

Xbox one starter set?
Level packs?
Team packs?

They'll be sitting in the basement for a month or two before we give them to our kid so there's no urgent rush unless the prices are spectacular. Have GCU.

Thanks

Does anyone know what historic low prices have been for these things? I am thinking we might jump into this. Clearly last week was the time to buy those sets at Target, but we missed that by a day.

Xbox one starter set?
Level packs?
Team packs?

They'll be sitting in the basement for a month or two before we give them to our kid so there's no urgent rush unless the prices are spectacular. Have GCU.

Thanks
Well the cheapest was when Amazon had a save $10 coupon off the Level and Team packs then also dropped prices to 14.99 and 19.99. We probably won't see that again. Outside of that, I'd say the current Best Buy deal is the way to go.

Xbox one starter set?
Level packs?
Team packs?

Thanks
Fun packs were half off at Best Buy a few weeks ago and Target had a cartwheel coupon that gave half off for all fun packs. So PM Best Buy and use coupon had fun packs going down to 3.74 each.

Anyone know how the Doctor Who level pack is? I got the Cyberman/Dalek pack in the last sale because lego Dalek is just too adorable, but I also find the idea of a lego Peter Capaldi to be absolutely hilarious

I can imagine that he's swearing at all the other legos all the time

I noticed the Starter Packs are on sale at LEGO.com, but still $60....what's the historic low on the STarter pack?  Still looking for the best deal.  My kids played it over their cousins, and it seems like a good purchase as they liked it.

Target had a 30% off cartwheel that made the game around $30 when stacked with price matching Target's website price of $45. I don't think I've seen it go any cheaper than that.

Xbox one starter set?
Level packs?
Team packs?

Thanks
The cheapest I saw the starter set was $45 off Amazon which I bought for XBone.

Anyone know how the Doctor Who level pack is? I got the Cyberman/Dalek pack in the last sale because lego Dalek is just too adorable, but I also find the idea of a lego Peter Capaldi to be absolutely hilarious

I can imagine that he's swearing at all the other legos all the time
It's probably the best out of all the level packs

No way, Portal is better.

I had a ton of trouble getting through the Doctor Who level. Took like 3-4 tries cause of game breaking bugs. That killed my enthusiasm for it quite a bit. No other level was like that for me.

Also, the Daleks in the Lego Ideas set are better.  It also comes with Matt Smith, Clara, and an Angel.

The cool part about the Doctor in Dimensions is that it cycles through the Doctors when you die.

Anyone ever wonder why the vehicles/accessories discs are blank while the characters are printed/labeled? Me too!  AAAAAND now I know:

The blank discs are ACTUALLY blank.  A vehicle/accessory can be written to any unlabeled disc when you go through the instruction manual using the character it belongs to and choose "write vehicle to disc".

Now, what does this mean for CAGs, you say?  It means I can't buy things like the 2 vehicles from the Ninjago Team Pack on eBay for $5.99 (like I did today), and expect to use said cool vehicles without having the worthless ninja brothers to activate/write the vehicles in-game to their disc.  I was about to buy the Tardis standalone for $8, thinking I could try out the Dr. Who level (using Cyberman? this is where my logic stopped me).  Dimensions is easily the most confusing of the three toys-to-life franchises.

On the bright side, if any of my blank discs die, I'll have 2 spares now.  Also curious to see if I can have two Batmobiles written and used in-game at the same time.

In other news: Bought Sensei Wu used from Warehouse Deals. instead of a dinger, it actually came with all of the parts in an off-brand ziplock snack bag inside the box, and Sensei Wu isn't recognized when placed anywhere on the gateway.  Oh well, his dragon looks like a fat dog with a mustache; all I'll be losing out on is his rare pole vault ability. 

Between Gandolf, Doc Brown, and Sensei Wu, it was starting to feel like an old man sausage fest anyhow.

This was our first night playing Dimensions (built everything last night using Youtube instructions manuals).  Dimensions is so much better than Infinity 3.0, and it's the most enjoyable LEGO game since Star Wars Trilogy.  You can feel the love and originality that went into making this.  Overall, it's a shame that it took a 75% off sale to get me to finally dip my toes in the water.

Anyone ever wonder why the vehicles/accessories discs are blank while the characters are printed/labeled? Me too! AAAAAND now I know:

The blank discs are ACTUALLY blank. A vehicle/accessory can be written to any unlabeled disc when you go through the instruction manual using the character it belongs to and choose "write vehicle to disc".

Now, what does this mean for CAGs, you say? It means I can't buy things like the 2 vehicles from the Ninjago Team Pack on eBay for $5.99 (like I did today), and expect to use said cool vehicles without having the worthless ninja brothers to activate/write the vehicles in-game to their disc. I was about to buy the Tardis standalone for $8, thinking I could try out the Dr. Who level (using Cyberman? this is where my logic stopped me). Dimensions is easily the most confusing of the three toys-to-life franchises.

On the bright side, if any of my blank discs die, I'll have 2 spares now. Also curious to see if I can have two Batmobiles written and used in-game at the same time.

In other news: Bought Sensei Wu used from Warehouse Deals. instead of a dinger, it actually came with all of the parts in an off-brand ziplock snack bag inside the box, and Sensei Wu isn't recognized when placed anywhere on the gateway. Oh well, his dragon looks like a fat dog with a mustache; all I'll be losing out on is his rare pole vault ability.

Between Gandolf, Doc Brown, and Sensei Wu, it was starting to feel like an old man sausage fest anyhow.

This was our first night playing Dimensions (built everything last night using Youtube instructions manuals). Dimensions is so much better than Infinity 3.0, and it's the most enjoyable LEGO game since Star Wars Trilogy. You can feel the love and originality that went into making this. Overall, it's a shame that it took a 75% off sale to get me to finally dip my toes in the water.
Well, it is quite self explanatory if you bought only one pack. Batmobile is generic and if you bought one more pack then it should be apparent that the read/write part of the pad is used to write the vehicles.

This was our first night playing Dimensions (built everything last night using Youtube instructions manuals). Dimensions is so much better than Infinity 3.0, and it's the most enjoyable LEGO game since Star Wars Trilogy. You can feel the love and originality that went into making this. Overall, it's a shame that it took a 75% off sale to get me to finally dip my toes in the water.
The writing is some of the best I've seen in games, but it gets very noticeable that every level and boss has to be built to be beaten with the starter pack characters. Value for money on add-ons feels pretty weak - one level at best for triple the asking price for a season DLC pass in most Lego games, abilities that are often used to unlock areas that then require another ability that you also don't have, the added characters don't seem to become part of the story, and you constantly have to kick them off the portal because you need the three starter figures, the batmobile, and empty spaces to move them around.

Speaking of other Lego games, there's a major PSN sale on older titles. If you like Dimensions but aren't sold on the packs, is it worth picking up older titles like the Lego Movie ($11), Hobbit ($10), and/or Jurassic World ($30)?

There are way too many mechanics that make leaving characters on the pad more a hassle than a benefit. You are pretty much guaranteed to need one spot free per zone, leaving a max of 4 characters / vehicles at a time. In multiplayer, it's a major pain in the ass. To the point where I happily moved to Lego Avengers, and hesitated to go back to Dimensions.

Re: PSN Sale

IMO, Lego Movie and Hobbit are two of the weakest entries. Jurassic World is the only one I haven't played.

Lego Movie was bad cause it was basically just the Movie, with almost no variation. Lots of cutscenes that make you feel like you're watching the movie again.

Hobbit is bloated and stretched, cause of the source movies.

Best two to me are still Marvel Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings, followed by probably Lego Star Wars III or one of the Batmans.

Speaking of other Lego games, there's a major PSN sale on older titles. If you like Dimensions but aren't sold on the packs, is it worth picking up older titles like the Lego Movie ($11), Hobbit ($10), and/or Jurassic World ($30)?
Not much a sale to me, I could have gotten better when discs were on sale. Jurassic World has been for $17 at least twice on woot (+$5 shipping for all orders in the same month).

I think Disney Infinity 2.0/3.0 play sets missions are quite repetitive, just to fill up the time to a few hours and can be boring to some point, the Toy Box part I think is where it actually shines. There is a big community of it and making a lot of impressive toy box, you can build different types of games within in. I think LEGO should have the potential as they're the building blocks in real life, but not until they can catch up with what DI has already done.

I think Disney Infinity 2.0/3.0 play sets missions are quite repetitive, just to fill up the time to a few hours and can be boring to some point, the Toy Box part I think is where it actually shines. There is a big community of it and making a lot of impressive toy box, you can build different types of games within in. I think LEGO should have the potential as they're the building blocks in real life, but not until they can catch up with what DI has already done.
Infinity 2.0 plasets were mildly disappointing. Particularly Spider-man. The set feels like the open world part of Lego Marvel, but without the story mode (the story is wrapped up in the open world part in Infinity). However 3.0 sets are in general pretty great. Notably the prequel one, it is a great set - easily up there with many good full games. The other two Star Wars ones are decent as well. Not sure on the Up one. Toy Box Takeover and Marvel Battlegrounds are really good, particularly if you are interested in what they are - Battlegrounds is basically a really good Power Stone clone.

Dimensions is a great Lego game, it feels much more complete than the other ones. The only one that competes (and in my opinion surpasses) is Lego City, which is limited only to the WiiU crowd. It is really just an E rated Lego GTA.

I have some Best Buy RZ certs that expire in June....what are the odds the STarter set goes cheaper than the $70 it is now?  I have GCU also.  I haven't really tracked prices on this until now.

I have some Best Buy RZ certs that expire in June....what are the odds the STarter set goes cheaper than the $70 it is now? I have GCU also. I haven't really tracked prices on this until now.
It was $59.99 before GCU a few weeks ago. I would wait. I bet we see some decent sales as Memorial Day approaches.

Some versions even went down to $45 at one point. Add in a Cartwheel 30% off coupon along with price matching Target's own website and I ended up getting it for $30. I would definitely wait, if you have the patience. A better deal will come along eventually.

Meijer has $20 off Lego Dimensions, but it appears to be full price there.  They also had a $10 MPERK coupon for Team and Level packs....average deals from what I've looked at.

Some versions even went down to $45 at one point. Add in a Cartwheel 30% off coupon along with price matching Target's own website and I ended up getting it for $30. I would definitely wait, if you have the patience. A better deal will come along eventually.
It depends on your luck. All Cart Wheel codes specially said not to be combined with Price Match. I just got shot down by trying to price match their own website on DI 3.0 Baloo (store $13.99, target.com $7.59), I could only do pricematch or cartwheels, but not both.

Amazon Warehouse had LIKE NEW for $52....I had a $10 off $50....works for me.
I've bought a few level and team packs from Amazon Warehouse. So far all of them have appeared to be new and sealed, just with damaged packaging. Not sure if that would be the case for a starter pack, but I have had great luck with the rest.

Another new week, another 50% off at Best Buy.  This time only Fun Packs...again. (I'm hoping they do it again around May 10th for Bane)

Picked up a Peter Venkman base from eBay for $9.76.  After stupidly buying the Ninjango vehicles I have 2 spare blank bases, so buying a level pack character base will net me the character, the level, the open world, the vehicle, and accessory.   Ghostbusters was an easy pick for "best in-game content with worst physical toy parts";  especially the "Ecto 1/2" that they chose to make. 

Time to crack open the LEGO collection and make myself a Peter Fakeman :)

Another new week, another 50% off at Best Buy. This time only Fun Packs...again. (I'm hoping they do it again around May 10th for Bane)

Picked up a Peter Venkman base from eBay for $9.76. After stupidly buying the Ninjango vehicles I have 2 spare blank bases, so buying a level pack character base will net me the character, the level, the open world, the vehicle, and accessory. Ghostbusters was an easy pick for "best in-game content with worst physical toy parts"; especially the "Ecto 1/2" that they chose to make.

Time to crack open the LEGO collection and make myself a Peter Fakeman :)
You could have paid $6 more and gotten the complete Ghostbuster level pack when they are usually on sale at Best Buy.

did this game bomb?
Not in the least. It is just over six months old, and it has held value better than every other Lego game (of course it also contains Legos). Packs are frequently on sale, but they seem to sell really well. The big loser this year in TTL games appears to be Skylanders, which while they didn't do THAT bad, it was still a HUGE drop off from previous years. I was reading that TTL market in general only grew 7% this year, but there was a new game sharing it - Lego. It appears that Lego, along with a much improved Infinity based on Star Wars ate their lunch.

Not in the least. It is just over six months old, and it has held value better than every other Lego game (of course it also contains Legos). Packs are frequently on sale, but they seem to sell really well. The big loser this year in TTL games appears to be Skylanders, which while they didn't do THAT bad, it was still a HUGE drop off from previous years. I was reading that TTL market in general only grew 7% this year, but there was a new game sharing it - Lego. It appears that Lego, along with a much improved Infinity based on Star Wars ate their lunch.
I think Skylanders was going to be set up for a big painful iteration anyways: Trap Team needed SOOOO much stuff that people just basically got fed up. Despite the fact that Super Chargers only really needs 3 things (Air/Land/Sea) and then most of the other stuff is "nice to have", it had to deal not only with sequel fatigue but also people that were pissed off at having to buy 10 trap masters, 10 traps, and a Kaos trap... that's a LOT of stuff.

Toys R Us finally got the Lego Dimensions Gaming Capsule's in (storage for all the lego figures.)  The Toys R Us 20% purchase coupon is still live and working on the site.  I just ordered two (they were $12 each instead of $15 since I used the coupon and shipping was free since I made the minimum amount to get free shipping.)  This will bring me to a total of 4 capsules lol.  Theyre cool because they also stack on top of each other.  Def worth picking up at that price.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=93448906&cp=2255956.3209580.61582296&parentPage=family

Promo Code: FRIEND20

****PS Today is the last day to use the coupon...****

I paid a mere $7 for my ornament box, and it holds everything released so far.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy a generic-ish storage set for $60+. If it had been designed to fit them specifically, I would have considered it (as in sized properly, with a recess for the tag).

You could have paid $6 more and gotten the complete Ghostbuster level pack when they are usually on sale at Best Buy.
Totally true and thought about it, but paying 60% more to have those LEGO pieces just wasn't worth it to me. Same reason why I'm selling my Chell figure. Hoping to get about $12 ($9 shipped after fees) to offset the price of the Portal 2 Level Pack (love the companion cube and turret LEGO figs, Chell…not so much)

Target will be doing 50% off starter packs next week. Hopefully another coupon or cartwheel offer will come out. Regardless, it will be around 45 bucks so that's pretty decent.

I think Skylanders was going to be set up for a big painful iteration anyways: Trap Team needed SOOOO much stuff that people just basically got fed up. Despite the fact that Super Chargers only really needs 3 things (Air/Land/Sea) and then most of the other stuff is "nice to have", it had to deal not only with sequel fatigue but also people that were pissed off at having to buy 10 trap masters, 10 traps, and a Kaos trap... that's a LOT of stuff.
Skylanders shat the bed the day they decided to release multiple poses of the same character AND limited editions of the same character. From that point on, you knew they'd do EVERY trick in the book to get people to buy everything AND engineer the game to stupidly encourage purchasing a new portal every year, specifically TWO versions if you want the Dark edition of the characters AND the regular ones. I don't even want to get into the insanity of buying FOUR versions

Hammer Slam Bowser and his vehicle can only be found in the Wii version Starter Pack of Skylanders SuperChargers Racing. Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and his vehicle can only be found in the WiiU version Starter Pack of Skylanders SuperChargers. The Dark Editions of these characters and their dark edition vehicles can be found in their respective Dark Edition Starter Packs
That's right. You have to buy the game TWICE for TWO PLATFORMS each if you want both the dark and light versions of Donkey Kong and Bowser. And then TWO MORE if you collect Skylanders for the regular and dark versions of Spitfire and his vehicle. (Because he's not in the Wii or Wii U versions.)

Yeah. To be complete for Skylanders Superchargers you'd have to buy the base game SIX TIMES for 3 different platforms or go to the resale market.

Skylanders shat the bed the day they decided to release multiple poses of the same character AND limited editions of the same character. From that point on, you knew they'd do EVERY trick in the book to get people to buy everything AND engineer the game to stupidly encourage purchasing a new portal every year, specifically TWO versions if you want the Dark edition of the characters AND the regular ones. I don't even want to get into the insanity of buying FOUR versions

That's right. You have to buy the game TWICE for TWO PLATFORMS each if you want both the dark and light versions of Donkey Kong and Bowser. And then TWO MORE if you collect Skylanders for the regular and dark versions of Spitfire and his vehicle. (Because he's not in the Wii or Wii U versions.)

Yeah. To be complete for Skylanders Superchargers you'd have to buy the base game SIX TIMES for 3 different platforms or go to the resale market.
For the record, that's all past tense, though. (Which in itself has pros and cons.)

But you speak of these things like that is how things are. That is how things WERE. Now both Bowser and DK have their own stand-alone sets, which have been on sale at multiple retailers multiple times.

No,they aren't the Dark versions. But *most* buyers aren't trying to get both the Dark and regular versions. Not for themselves and not for their kids. Some do, but they are not the majority at all.

The Back to the Future level pack is $12.99 at Best Buy right now, $10.39 with GCU.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wb-games-lego-dimensions-level-pack-back-to-the-future/6618021.p?id=1219664844968&skuId=6618021&productCategoryId=pcmcat306400050032

It's an obvious price mistake, as they've also dropped the price of all fun packs to $12.99. This is the only level pack that they've accidentally lowered to this price. Get it while it lasts!

Edit: Make that most fun packs. Doc Brown is still $14.99 for some reason. I guess they screwed up on which BTTF pack to price drop.

The Back to the Future level pack is $12.99 at Best Buy right now, $10.39 with GCU.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wb-games-lego-dimensions-level-pack-back-to-the-future/6618021.p?id=1219664844968&skuId=6618021&productCategoryId=pcmcat306400050032

It's an obvious price mistake, as they've also dropped the price of all fun packs to $12.99. This is the only level pack that they've accidentally lowered to this price. Get it while it lasts!

Edit: Make that most fun packs. Doc Brown is still $14.99 for some reason. I guess they screwed up on which BTTF pack to price drop.
Thanks! I had purchased BttF during the last sale a couple weeks ago. At this price, I repurchased it and saved $6.

bread's done
Back