Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started getting into dimensions almost a week ago and got every pack except for the ninjago, Chima, adventure time, midway, and A Team packs. Am I missing anything by skipping those?

Spent about $320 thanks to the visa $25 of $100, have the PS4 starter with Supergirl and every pack offered at Best Buy, I'll have to do inventory when all arrive to see which ones I'm missing, but I don't think it's too many.. lol

Looks like they got some new ones in . Wonder Woman, wicked witch are new to five below. I don't recall the lego movie characters being there but I might be wrong
You are wrong. :p

They have had Unikitty, Benny, and Cop for awhile, including the 2 for $5 sale. Makes me mad I wasted $2 on Wicked Witch. Only Super Girl and Witched witch are new to that list.

And people want the etchings to become super cheap? The game is $20-30 and the fun packs are $2.50-$6, how much cheaper can we get people? Your ass isn't cheap enough?

They have had Unikitty, Benny, and Cop for awhile, including the 2 for $5 sale. Makes me mad I wasted $2 on Wicked Witch. Only Super Girl and Witched witch are new to that list.
And people want the etchings to become super cheap? The game is $20-30 and the fun packs are $2.50-$6, how much cheaper can we get people? Your ass isn't cheap enough?
2 for $5 sale?

Are any of these fun packs necessary? My kids got the starter pack and a few other packs for Christmas, I don't want to spend extra $$ and have extra crap lying around the house if these characters don't do something worthwhile.
To open up everything would you just need one character from each franchise?

Are any of these fun packs necessary? My kids got the starter pack and a few other packs for Christmas, I don't want to spend extra $$ and have extra crap lying around the house if these characters don't do something worthwhile.

If you don't ha

If you don't have a character from that universe, it opens it up for exploration. If you already have one (and DC Universe, Lego Movie, and Lord of the Rings all come with the starter) it doesn't open up any new worlds, but the powers they have might still be useful. Of the ones listed in the ad, the Wicked Witch and characters from Ninjago (the ninjas) and Legend of Chima (the animal ones) will open new worlds if you don't own them already. The rest are taken care of by the starter pack.

Just started getting into dimensions almost a week ago and got every pack except for the ninjago, Chima, adventure time, midway, and A Team packs. Am I missing anything by skipping those?
Well, if you're a fan of old-school arcade games, the Midway level pack is supposed to have playable versions of things like Centipede and Defender in-game (and the vehicle is the car from Spy Hunter).

Are we looking at the same list? I didn't see Supergirl there anywhere and, like Santa, I checked twice.

Yes, there will be periodic sales on stuff, but they probably won't get much lower until Traveller's Tales stops supporting the game and producing new content and toys. Skylanders and DI stuff is cheap because those games are basically dead.

No, none of the extra content is necessary to finish the base game, but you will need extra stuff if you want to play in the adventure worlds for different franchises and/or if you want to 100% the game.

Well, if you're a fan of old-school arcade games, the Midway level pack is supposed to have playable versions of things like Centipede and Defender in-game (and the vehicle is the car from Spy Hunter).
Centipede is not one of the games included: it includes 23 (22 if you don't count Championship Sprint as a separate game, as it's only a two instead of three player version of Super Sprint with a few new tracks) mostly from the Midway Arcade Treasures series (especially the first one).

The emulation is geberally good, but some games do not translate well, especially Super Sprint, which had those steering wheels that could be endlessly spun, and cannot be translated to a dual shock. I also had sound issues with certain games (particularly Super Sprint), much like they do when I try to play them on MAME on an underpowered computer. Mine is on the PS3, so the newer systems might not have this issue. Other games, like Toobin', play excellent.

Despite these issues, it's worth buying for access to these games alone (with cute lego illustrations usually based on the cabinet art taking up the empty space, since they're on a 4:3 aspect ratio) and the gamer kid has a lot of useful abilities.

That's why I defer to the experts.

Are we looking at the same list? I didn't see Supergirl there anywhere and, like Santa, I checked twice.

Yes, there will be periodic sales on stuff, but they probably won't get much lower until Traveller's Tales stops supporting the game and producing new content and toys. Skylanders and DI stuff is cheap because those games are basically dead.

No, none of the extra content is necessary to finish the base game, but you will need extra stuff if you want to play in the adventure worlds for different franchises and/or if you want to 100% the game.

lol. I don't know what I want. Just would like to be able to play the full game without having to buy all of the crap.
They have lots of good Lego games that allow you to do exactly that. Buying the toys is what makes this game, having physical Legos is part of the fun.

If you just want to play a Lego game, you can probably buy just about all of the non-Dimensions pretty cheaply and still come out ahead money wise.

lol. I don't know what I want. Just would like to be able to play the full game without having to buy all of the crap.
:lol:

That's cute. You really should have researched what the game really is. How much did someone say they spent? $400? Level packs are at least $15 each and there are like 10 of them so that's $150. Never mind the Team Packs (What do those do?) and fun packs.

This is from reddit before series 2 came out....

MSRP of 1 Starter Pack + ALL add-on packs comes to $784.62, plus sales tax. Thankfully so much is on sale nowadays.

You can play the full campaign with just the included characters. Here's what the other packs unlock:

Story - 6 new levels

Level - 1 new level

Team - 1 new adventure world if you don't own characters in that franchise

Fun - Same as team

If you want the most to explore for the lowest cost, the Fun Packs are the way to go, though some, like Sonic, Portal, and Scooby Doo, can't be accessed through fun packs due to no characters from those franchises being released outside Story, Level, and Team Packs. There are also sections within levels which require certain abilities, like dig, sliver block destruction, etc. Figures and builds (vehicles and gadgets) both have these, and if you get enough fun packs, you'll gain most of them, but there still will be a few you won't have, especialy since some abilities are unique to particular characters.

This site has an excellent guide to abilities and who can do what:

http://lego-dimensions.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Characters

They have lots of good Lego games that allow you to do exactly that. Buying the toys is what makes this game, having physical Legos is part of the fun.

If you just want to play a Lego game, you can probably buy just about all of the non-Dimensions pretty cheaply and still come out ahead money wise.
This.

Take advantage of the b2g1 free preowned deal at BB right now and pick up Lego Marvel Super Heroes + Lego Movie Game + Hobbit (or swap in Lego Batman 3) and for $30 you've probably got 200 characters you can unlock for no additional add on charge.

You'll have zero real life mini figs and builds, though.

We have most of the lego games, my oldest was really into those. And now my youngest is really into building logos, so I figured this would be awesome. So I picked it up along with 5-6 team/fun packs. Didn't get any of the level packs though. I figured I would pick those up later if she was still interested.

We have most of the lego games, my oldest was really into those. And now my youngest is really into building logos, so I figured this would be awesome. So I picked it up along with 5-6 team/fun packs. Didn't get any of the level packs though. I figured I would pick those up later if she was still interested.
The I would focus on the sets you find on sale that interest him. Sure, you can min/max it to unlock content, but it sounds like the little guy just wants to play with it and probably doesn't care if he gets 100%.

Fun packs are a good option because they are frequently on sale.

Level packs are second because they give new levels in addition to opening character worlds. It is a great mix of in game and physical. They also go on pretty good sales.

Team packs are great if you want to build, but they are just two Fun packs in one and typically cost more than two Funs on sale (but they do often get you unique content, like Scooby-Doo, Harry Potter, Gremlins and Jurassic Park). The base price of these is $24.99 and the sales aren't as great typically.

Story Packs give you lots of in game content (6 levels), but rebuilding the portal is kind of dumb - I personally rebuilt the portal into a compact custom thing that won't fall apart when I take it out or put it up.

The I would focus on the sets you find on sale that interest him. Sure, you can min/max it to unlock content, but it sounds like the little guy just wants to play with it and probably doesn't care if he gets 100%.

Fun packs are a good option because they are frequently on sale.

Level packs are second because they give new levels in addition to opening character worlds. It is a great mix of in game and physical. They also go on pretty good sales.

Team packs are great if you want to build, but they are just two Fun packs in one and typically cost more than two Funs on sale (but they do often get you unique content, like Scooby-Doo, Harry Potter, Gremlins and Jurassic Park). The base price of these is $24.99 and the sales aren't as great typically.

Story Packs give you lots of in game content (6 levels), but rebuilding the portal is kind of dumb - I personally rebuilt the portal into a compact custom thing that won't fall apart when I take it out or put it up.
I always thought rebuilding the Portal was dumb - they should just give us a crapload of figures and builds: for instance, the new Ghostbusters should give us all four of the busters in figure form, not just selectable under Abby.

I always thought rebuilding the Portal was dumb - they should just give us a crapload of figures and builds: for instance, the new Ghostbusters should give us all four of the busters in figure form, not just selectable under Abby.
Why would they do that? The mini figures are the most expensive piece to produce, so including four would be cost productive. Also you can just buy the Echo 1 & 2 for less than $50 on sale quiet often, it was $41 last week at Target.

In the main game there was some promise of doing cool alterations to the portal but in Ghostbusters it's just window dressing. If they did more with it I think it could be great but I have a feeling it's just going to be an irrelevant part of story package. I just hope Fantastic Beasts is better than Ghostbusters. Haven't seen FB yet but it can't be worse than Ghostbusters and the license is the only unique thing in a Lego game these days.

In the main game there was some promise of doing cool alterations to the portal but in Ghostbusters it's just window dressing. If they did more with it I think it could be great but I have a feeling it's just going to be an irrelevant part of story package. I just hope Fantastic Beasts is better than Ghostbusters. Haven't seen FB yet but it can't be worse than Ghostbusters and the license is the only unique thing in a Lego game these days.
I'm not quite sure whether this is what you meant about not having "seen" Fantastic Beasts, but speaking as someone whose seen the film and the other 8 movies (and not being quite enough of an HP nerd to read the books or make a specific, Comic-Book-Guy-like distinction between the two franchises), I would say that Fantastic Beasts is easily as good as any of the other films. The um, non-Maj guy in the movie was somewhat generic and forgettable, but the other characters were pretty interesting and the effects, setting, and story were fun. The story beats were a little predictable and I'm in the camp of people who feel that Colin Farrell only detracts from most of the things he's involved in (Ondine being the only possible exception I can conceive), but it felt like a good standalone adventure with just enough setup for sequels to suggest they were really hoping to make sequels.

After I saw the movie, I bought the fun pack on sale at Best Buy and I was sorely tempted to order the story pack (even at $30, it's a bit too much for me right now--Christmas and whatnot). I can't imagine wanting the Ghostbusters story pack at $15, and I haven't even seen the new movie.

On a wholly-unrelated note, does anyone else feel like the character design for the LEGO Batman Movie Robin is utterly cheesy? Seriously, what's with the giant goggles-glasses look? It's so dumb-looking, it actually makes me considerably less interested in that story pack as well. I like the Yvonne Craig-like Batgirl design they went for in the movie and story pack, but Robin? Ugh.

I am of this mindset as well. I'm not interested in getting packs for franchises I don't already have some interest in, so even as cheap as the Ninjago and Chima stuff got at Five Below, I just have no desire to get those, as well as some of the other franchise content that I'm personally not particularly enamored of, like PowerPuff Girls and Adventure Time.

Building another portal does seem superfluous, particularly if it doesn't even grant you any unique abilities in-game. It's probably more a way of padding the piece counts in these sets than anything else.

On a wholly-unrelated note, does anyone else feel like the character design for the LEGO Batman Movie Robin is utterly cheesy? Seriously, what's with the giant goggles-glasses look? It's so dumb-looking, it actually makes me considerably less interested in that story pack as well. I like the Yvonne Craig-like Batgirl design they went for in the movie and story pack, but Robin? Ugh..
I'm fairly certain the Robin design in the movie is loosely based off the Carrie Kelly Robin from Dark Knight Returns. It was a future Batman story written in the 80s so that's why her look is the way that it is.

On the subject of rebuilding, does anyone NOT rebuild the vehicles when the game instructs you to after upgrading them? Personally I like the Batmobile or the Dalek to look like it should rather than some alteration of it. But it is also fun to take apart a vehicle and put it back together in a different formation.

I'm fairly certain the Robin design in the movie is loosely based off the Carrie Kelly Robin from Dark Knight Returns. It was a future Batman story written in the 80s so that's why her look is the way that it is.

On the subject of rebuilding, does anyone NOT rebuild the vehicles when the game instructs you to after upgrading them? Personally I like the Batmobile or the Dalek to look like it should rather than some alteration of it. But it is also fun to take apart a vehicle and put it back together in a different formation.
I thought that wasn't a actual Robin but a super fan that is following batman around.

Yeesh, if that's supposed to be the Carrie Kelly Robin, they did a crap job.

Yeesh, if that's supposed to be the Carrie Kelly Robin, they did a crap job.
It isn't Carrie Kelly, but the hair and glasses are supposed to be similar. Robin is Dick Grayson in the movie, despite his appearance not even close to being similar. But, the movie is not supposed to be serious Batman, of course so obviously they went with what would work for the kids/humor, not the comic nerds. The movie actively mocks some things from the comic books, like when Joker mentions some of the villains and points out how they are all real villains from the comic and not made up (like Condiment King).

As far as the Ghostbuster Story Pack, from what I can tell, even if you aren't a fan of the movie, Abby Yates does seem to have a unique ability - so it is likely required for the completionists. I was playing through the Mission Impossible level and one of the bricks required "Charge Transfer", which no other released character has.

One of the things I enjoy about this game though is how some characters trivialize certain challenges with out of the box thinking. Like the "chase down the thing" challenges, Sonic owns those (Midway Kid can do speed, but he has to drink a soda first which takes time) but Sonic is always fast. Superman's invincibility makes fights easy, and flying characters make climbing challenges trivial. Speaking of Sonic, how do they not have a Flash minifig for this game?

LEGO Batman mistakenly adopts Robin, so he's just a little child. I like the glasses, they look silly and goofy and fun.

Why would they do that? The mini figures are the most expensive piece to produce, so including four would be cost productive. Also you can just buy the Echo 1 & 2 for less than $50 on sale quiet often, it was $41 last week at Target.
Well, they are taking at least a step in the right direction: the latest story pack (Batman Lego Movie) has two characters instead of one, at least putting it on par with the team packs. However, they not only include a portal rebuild, but it's the gaudiest and flimsiest one yet.

I thought the building of the portal was so that storage was as difficult as possible.
The original gateway from starter pack, the Chinese restaurant gateway from ghostbuster, the MACUSA gateway from fantastic beast are all in sealed bags in their own story pack box. Storage problem solved.

The only thing I need to play the game is the base.

Is the supergirl PS4 starter pack still difficult to find? Also is she playable in the XB1 version of the game right now?
Not sure about difficulty in finding, but she works on other platforms.

The original distribution was just a polybag at a convention, not tied to a specific console.

The BB sale from last week is still on now, and stuff that was sold out before, like the Fantastic Beasts story pack and the Sonic the Hedgehog level pack are back in stock.

bread's done
Back