Feedback
25 (100%)
Master topic for Lego Dimensions. 

Starter Packs are $99.99 on :ps4: :xb1: :360: :ps3: :wiiu:

Remeber,

Best Buy: 20% GCU Discount

Breakdown of products that release on 9/27:

Starter Pack:

Starter Pack includes LEGO Dimensions video game, LEGO Toy Pad, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle LEGO Minifigures and LEGO Batmobile vehicle.

MSRP: $99.99

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Level Packs (Level Packs contain a single character, a gadget/vehicle, and a new level that corresponds to that character), MSRP is $29.99:

The Simpsons

The Simpsons Level Pack, which includes a Homer, Homer's Car and the Taunt-o-Vision

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget, Toys R Us

Back to The Future

Back to the Future Level Pack, which includes a Marty McFly Minifigure, DeLorean Time Machine and Hoverboard

Order: Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Portal 2

Portal 2 Level Pack, which includes a Chell Minifigure, Sentry Turret and Companion Cube.

Order from Best Buy, AmazonTarget

Team Packs (Team packs come with 2 characters and a combination of 2 different vehicles and/or gadgets) MSRP is $24.99:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World Team Pack, which includes Owen and ACU mini figures, Gyrosphere and a Velociraptor.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Target, Toys R Us

Scooby-Doo!

Scooby-Doo! Team Pack, which includes Scooby-Doo and Shaggy mini figures, Mystery Machine and Scooby Snack.

Order from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us

Fun Packs (Fun packs contain a single character and a single gadget or vehicle that corresponds to that character.) MSRP $14.99. Note: The links go to Best Buy unless noted.

DC Comics Wonder Woman
DC Comics Cyborg

The Lord of the Rings: Gimli
The Lord of the Rings: Legolas
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

The LEGO Movie Emmet
The LEGO Movie Bad Cop
The LEGO Movie Benny

LEGO Ninjago Jay Toys R Us Timed Exclusive
LEGO Ninjago Nya
LEGO Ninjago Zane

The Wizard of Oz The Wicked Witch

LEGO Legends of Chima Laval Toys R Us Link
LEGO Legends of Chima Cragger
LEGO Legends of Chima Eris

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for the newbie question, but will ANY character work in the main game "campaign"? Even the 2016 characters?

I ask because my kid has no interest in Gandalf, for example, but she'd love to use Harry Potter to play in the main story, and I don't want to buy a lot of level/story packs...maybe just one or two characters.

Thanks!

The last time I tried to get Best Buy to adjust the price on something over the phone, it was a complete waste of my time. Where is this legendary web chat function on their site?

Apologies for the newbie question, but will ANY character work in the main game "campaign"? Even the 2016 characters?
This will work fine. They didn't screw us like Disney Infinity did...

Harry is a good substitute for Gandalf; I think his abilities include everything Gandalf has that's required for his use in the main story.

I ask because my kid has no interest in Gandalf, for example, but she'd love to use Harry Potter to play in the main story, and I don't want to buy a lot of level/story packs...maybe just one or two characters.

Thanks!
You can use all characters, but you need the abilities of the 3 included characters to complete the campaign. Any characters with the abilities will suffice. In the case of Gandalf, Harry will work ... but all of the cutscenes will be of Gandalf.

Grabbed Ghostbusters for $20 and Sonic for $12 plus $10 off with a cert. Thanks!

NOTICE TO ALL: If you purchased sets during the last sale (or at all recently) through bestbuy.com and want to get a price match/adjustment, they will **NOT** give you both the 50% off and the GCU 20% off. GCU applies PRIOR to the discount in these cases, according to their idiotic policy. I just found this out and have to take a lot of my sets into the store to do a full-out return and repurchase as a result.

...THIS kind of crap is why I rarely shop at Best Buy.  :wall:

NOTICE TO ALL: If you purchased sets during the last sale (or at all recently) through bestbuy.com and want to get a price match/adjustment, they will **NOT** give you both the 50% off and the GCU 20% off. GCU applies PRIOR to the discount in these cases, according to their idiotic policy. I just found this out and have to take a lot of my sets into the store to do a full-out return and repurchase as a result.
...THIS kind of crap is why I rarely shop at Best Buy. :wall:
Who ever told you that is lying. It is explicitly stated in their price match faqs that gcu will apply with the price adjustment

Rebuy and return the newly purchased sets on the old receipt.

Here's the relevant portion:

". If Best Buy lowers our price during the return and exchange period on a My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked purchase, we will, upon request, apply the 20% discount on the new lower price. For example, If a Gamers Club Unlocked member paid $47.99 for a new game priced at $59.99 and Best Buy lowers the price to $49.99 during the return and exchange period, we will, upon request, price match the new price with the 20% discount and sell the My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked member the game for $39.99."

Rebuy and return the newly purchased sets on the old receipt.

Here's the relevant portion:

". If Best Buy lowers our price during the return and exchange period on a My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked purchase, we will, upon request, apply the 20% discount on the new lower price. For example, If a Gamers Club Unlocked member paid $47.99 for a new game priced at $59.99 and Best Buy lowers the price to $49.99 during the return and exchange period, we will, upon request, price match the new price with the 20% discount and sell the My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked member the game for $39.99."
Well, it seems an online chat rep is more helpful and thankfully applying refunds for all of my items at the proper sale prices. Phone support is a total failure, however.

Except that I just did this. This morning. And had no problem doing it through the chat rep.

You can use all characters, but you need the abilities of the 3 included characters to complete the campaign. Any characters with the abilities will suffice. In the case of Gandalf, Harry will work ... but all of the cutscenes will be of Gandalf.
All three included figures only include three skills each, which are the skills that are required to complete the game. None of these skills are rare, save Wyldstyle's Master Builder (shared only by the good guys from Lego movie: Benny, Emmet, and Unikitty). Any of the Potterverse characters (including those from Fantastic Beasts) and most other magic users (like the Wicked Witch from Oz) will have Gandalf's basic abilities, and more. Don't forget, too, that you can have any combination of up to seven figures/vehicles/gadgets on the portal at once, and can swap out any time, so if none of your characters have the skill you need, swap out for one that does. This is an excellent list of who can do what, as well as links to what those skills do in-game.

http://lego-dimensions.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Characters

I'm tempted to buy the Supergirl starter for $35.99. Wasn't it $27.99 last time?I should have bought it on BF. I just never saw it in stock until tonight. Looking at camelcamelcamel lets me see that it was $29.99 a couple weeks ago on amazon. I can't believe I missed that. I'm having trouble spending $35.99 when I think it was once cheaper... and I don't even want the starter pack of course. I only want Supergirl dammit.

MuOhEF.gif

I bought Fantastic Beasts before it goes out of stock though. Have we ever seen a story pack go below $19.99 yet? I figured I might as well buy it now because who knows if or when it will be any lower.

I may finally pick up the midway arcade and simpsons level packs this time if I can build up some best buy credit somehow this week. Last week was the week to do it with the 50% bonus but I didn't get a chance. I bet the customer service lines after Christmas weren't very fun anyway.
Supergirl was cheaper at a few points, but in each instance sold out fast. I've even seen it sell out at places where the sales weren't as good. This week (the week after New Years) typically marks the end of the Holiday deals (though this year, only BB is having any real deals): everyone else quit after X-Mas. $19.99 is the cheapest I've seen either Story Pack at a retailer thus far. Will they be cheaper? Probably. Will they be cheaper any time in the near future? I'm thinking not, and ordered mine, but I also thought the sale we just had was the cheapest they'd ever get, and was wrong.

For your record, the Supergirl starter pack was $29.99 (and 5% off with Red Card) at Target the week before Christmas. So, it's possible some retailer will have it cheaper than $36 again, but who knows.
They also had it for an additional 10% off for one day that week as well so it was even cheaper.

I did the Visa Checkout $25 off $100 when I bought my packs. Will that be a factor?
Yes. If you review your purchase, the price of each item was reduced by an amount of the $25 distributed throughout the items.

I had the same issue with the $25 Visa Checkout when the price of the blu-ray sets I purchased using it each dropped by $8-$10 the following week. I only received $2 -$4 back per set because they had been reduced by $6.25 each by the Visa Checkout discount.

Yes. If you review your purchase, the price of each item was reduced by an amount of the $25 distributed throughout the items.

I had the same issue with the $25 Visa Checkout when the price of the blu-ray sets I purchased using it each dropped by $8-$10 the following week. I only received $2 -$4 back per set because they had been reduced by $6.25 each by the Visa Checkout discount.
Looks like I don't get a price adjustment: I checked out my order - with the Visa Checkout applied, the price of all my lego items in that order are lower than the current sale price, and the items I didn't buy under the Visa checkout are all fun packs, which were already 50% off.

Well, it seems an online chat rep is more helpful and thankfully applying refunds for all of my items at the proper sale prices. Phone support is a total failure, however.
If it makes you feel any better, their email support was complete trash in the past too (I asked for a price match a while back, they told me I had already received 10.00 off... which was a 10.00 rewards cert... Just gave up and did a return/rebuy after too much back and forth emails). Web chat is stupidly hard to find on their site but works great!

You have to get the service rep to focus on the original price of the items before any discount. I did this on several computer monitors with the Visa Checkout and price adjustment to new sale prices. Ignore the Visa discount, that's like a form of payment like reward certs. That's how I get a full discount on these price adjustments.

That's when you make a decision to either argue the terms of price adjustment with the arrogant service rep or hang up and call back.

Thanks!
Main story cutscene is always Gandalf, but I used Wicked Witch instead as he can fly (and access Wizard of Oz world), anyone has Magic and Illumination can be substitution.

Wow, a lot of stuff is sold out: Ghostbusters 2016 Story pack, many of the Team Packs and a lot of Year 2 stuff (but the Fantastic Beasts Story Pack, which is one of the few things that sold out regularly last time, is still available as of now). 

Yeah I ordered Ghostbusters and Sonic early, they sold out quick. Went to two stores today, all that was left in both combined were 2 Mission Impossible sets and a Midway set. I wanted The Simpsons level pack and it was in stock online, forgot till I saw this thread again and it's OOS now...blah. Ordered ET, Bart, and Portal 2.

Also, built and started the Fantastic Beasts Story Pack today, by the time it finished downloading the Newt toy tag stopped reading. First time I have had this happen, everything I read said there's an android app that can read NFC chips. I have an iPhone and Samsung tab4 but neither could use the app. Just now thought about the Wii U and 3DS readers for amiibo, tried those and it read it as an invalid amiibo...fired Dimensions up and it works again!

Crazy how cheap dimensions has been during the holidays. Was it like this last year?

I am wondering if it'll go back up but mostly hoping it's not because it's been selling poorly.

Was surprised Disney infinity failed and Skylanders apparently is doing worse every year.

Dimensions was smart to do a year 2 and not a sequel.

Crazy how cheap dimensions has been during the holidays. Was it like this last year?

I am wondering if it'll go back up but mostly hoping it's not because it's been selling poorly.

Was surprised Disney infinity failed and Skylanders apparently is doing worse every year.

Dimensions was smart to do a year 2 and not a sequel.
Dimensions has 50% off sales pretty regularly (maybe quarterly at least?). I also hope it's more because Lego can afford it due to a better supply line but I'm also a bit surprised on how common sales are. Season 2 has a lot of obscure stuff and frankly that makes me wonder. They are staying true to form as all the characters have pretty hilarious interactions (Sonic comments on how he and Golem both love rings) which Disney utterly failed at but I think Lego will need to leverage Marvel or Star Wars in the next season to rejuvenate the game if they don't drastically change the mechanics. I'll say that I bought everything released so far though most of it only 20-30% off and I wish I had waited.

I don't think Marvel or Star Wars will be added in year three. LEGO had a three year plan with the game before Disney ditched Infinity. So if we did see Star Wars or Marvel I'd say it will be for a 4th year if sales stay up.

The sales have been pretty regular, I have a feeling they have A LOT more leeway in pricing for this many sales.  Most of the packs do not even have unique parts, so new production runs are probably not nearly as expensive as they would be for other TTL games.

The character interactions are great, Green Arrow likes to tell Harry that despite him wearing green, he is definitely not Slytherin, and Sonic talks to Marceline about knowing what turning to a werewolf is like.  My favorite is from last year, with Doc Brown asking Homer if he has any plutonium he could "borrow".  Great touch!

As far as packs moving, some do really well - Adventure Time and Sonic seem to be really popular when they go on sale and sell out quickly.  I don't see Sonic often in stores.  Sonic is a neat pack, but the control is somewhat inconsistent and it doesn't play all that great mixing old school Genesis levels as well as Sonic Adventure - but Sonic is still cool.  Sonic also busts some old content in fun ways, no other character has speed on demand for the chase challenges he trivializes (Midway Gamer Kid can go fast, but you have to wind up with a soda which takes too long).

I hope eventually the Flash is added to the game since the mechanics are there due to Sonic, and of course a better way to get Supergirl.  It would be interesting if Supergirl gets a Fun Pack, as many that splurged on a new Starter or EBay would find themselves needing it again for collection purposes if she comes with an item.  Maybe Gamestop will have another promotion in the Spring.

I don't think Marvel or Star Wars will be added in year three. LEGO had a three year plan with the game before Disney ditched Infinity. So if we did see Star Wars or Marvel I'd say it will be for a 4th year if sales stay up.
Fortunately, those might be options now. No way when Infinity was still around, but Disney now has reason to license them to another TTL. I'm wondering if they ever go 2.0, this adding expansions has worked out great - and probably keeps the franchise alive longer than the others that require a new Starter every year. Putting a whole game out now is sketchy due to the instability in the whole TTL market with Skylanders likely being next to bow out according to reports. As a Skylander fan (Imaginators is great), I'm just hoping stores will bother to stock the remaining five figures that aren't out yet - last year they practically skipped the last one (regular Thrillipede) with only TRU offering it online for a brief period.

But the sets have been under development for awhile now, so it's not like they will scrap things in order to make room for Star Wars and Marvel. Those two themes could take up a whole year of sets. I don't see any need to do a new starter set unless there are new consoles. Just add one for the Switch, that shouldn't be difficult.

I'd love if they could make a rushed set of Princess Leia in honor of Carrie Fisher for the release of Episode 8.

I hope eventually the Flash is added to the game since the mechanics are there due to Sonic, and of course a better way to get Supergirl. It would be interesting if Supergirl gets a Fun Pack, as many that splurged on a new Starter or EBay would find themselves needing it again for collection purposes if she comes with an item. Maybe Gamestop will have another promotion in the Spring.
The Flash has a hidden area already, complete with his minifigure rendition, hidden in one of the levels. It is accessable via a Tardis pad.

Looks like most of the Team and Level packs are sold out, while most of the fun packs are still available. Maybe 50% off is a lot of people's "go" price, and since the Fun Packs were 50% off the last sale, they bought their fill then. Either BB ordered a lot of Fantastic Beasts to have plenty of inventory since it sold out so often last sale, or most who wnated it bought it last time.

I didn't know about the flash level. That's awesome. The Flash is super fun to play as in Lego Batman 2 --he's almost too fast to control.

I'd love to see them remake Lego Batman 2 for current hen consoles. The controls are terrible on that game, but the game itself is excellent.

I was unaware of the Flash area as well. The kids and I have been playing a lot more since we picked up some year 2 sets at Christmas. We did come across a Bedrock (Flintstones) hidden area. It was very small and I saw no NPCs but it was still great to find it.

I was unaware of the Flash area as well. The kids and I have been playing a lot more since we picked up some year 2 sets at Christmas. We did come across a Bedrock (Flintstones) hidden area. It was very small and I saw no NPCs but it was still great to find it.
Also a Jetsons' level somewhere in the game.

But the sets have been under development for awhile now, so it's not like they will scrap things in order to make room for Star Wars and Marvel. Those two themes could take up a whole year of sets. I don't see any need to do a new starter set unless there are new consoles. Just add one for the Switch, that shouldn't be difficult.

I'd love if they could make a rushed set of Princess Leia in honor of Carrie Fisher for the release of Episode 8.
I think there's a decent chance it's smoke and mirrors as far as "planning" goes. If Disney was able to communicate the discontinuation of Infinity early enough to Lego (which they could have) Lego could have changed plans pretty quickly. That said, I'd wager the licensing agreement for that could be painfully tricky because if you recall Disney couldn't even get Disney to allow for cross brand experiences in Infinity, which was an utter joke.

I think there's a decent chance it's smoke and mirrors as far as "planning" goes. If Disney was able to communicate the discontinuation of Infinity early enough to Lego (which they could have) Lego could have changed plans pretty quickly. That said, I'd wager the licensing agreement for that could be painfully tricky because if you recall Disney couldn't even get Disney to allow for cross brand experiences in Infinity, which was an utter joke.
Well, that really only applied to playsets defined by universes, they were fine with it in the Toybox and things like Toybox Takeover. They also lightened up on it a ton in 3.0, any Star Wars figure would work in any Star Wars playset (after finding a single token). As little sense as it made, you could have Kylo Ren running around the prequel set.

Now mixing it up with DC and Marvel in a game, well that would be touchy. And it might not just be Disney that has problems with that - DC might be reluctant as well.

Well, that really only applied to playsets defined by universes, they were fine with it in the Toybox and things like Toybox Takeover. They also lightened up on it a ton in 3.0, any Star Wars figure would work in any Star Wars playset (after finding a single token). As little sense as it made, you could have Kylo Ren running around the prequel set.

Now mixing it up with DC and Marvel in a game, well that would be touchy. And it might not just be Disney that has problems with that - DC might be reluctant as well.
The developers said that, in 4.0 they intended to have all characters playable in all playsets, and possibly include a plot that would explain it. They also planned playsets for Rogue One and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, among others, as well as figures for Maui and Moana, which they actually made prototypes of.

Wish I had bought that Harry Potter Team Pack, not because I particularly need any more characters, but because it is the only way to get access to their world which has the only way to get perhaps the best red brick in the game: the stud magnet! That would make exploring adventure worlds so much less tedious to not have to run after every bouncing stud!

Thanks for posting the chat link. I couldn't seem to find it on the BB site. The CS rep was able to credit me a price adjustment for the LEGO Dimensions figures I purchased on December 23rd. Very happy. I stopped by my local store and it looked like the food old stores in the communist USSR. Not one LEGO Dimensions figure was on the shelf.

bread's done
Back