Let the throttling begin: Netflix raising prices almost double in Sept

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Update 8 24 11
Just noticed Netflix was started enforcing streaming device limits (ie how many devices at once can stream) Guess this is so they can push their "family plan" is that is rumored

Netflix just announced that they are raising the price of their plans. They are splitting off the streaming and non streaming plans.

Stream only will cost $7.99 with no disc option
DVD only with no stream will be $7.99

Both 1 disc out at a time and stream will be $15.98. More discs out raise price more

edited to add more price
2 disc only $11.99

2disc with stream $19.98
3 disc with stream $24.99
4 Disc with stream $29.99

STAYS THE SAME
1 Disc out (2 max per month) $4.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']And Blockbuster counters.

30 day free trial for netflix customers, and their one disc (with bluray) at a time plan is dropping to $9.99 starting (was $11.99 before I think). Game rentals are included in the plan as well.

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/20794558

I think I'll give the trial ago and if the turnaround times and selection seem the same or better than Netflix for my needs, I'll probably switch.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I used to be a BB.com member a LONG time ago, hopefully I can take adavantage of this.

I know BBV switched the IN-STORE policy with a 1 say rental basically now for a cheaper price, how do the IN-STORE swaps work, can you only have it for 1 night?

[quote name='Nesrie']Bluray and games does appeal to me though. Netflix streaming wasn't very good anyway. I could go for a trial wit Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's definitely worth checking out if you're into renting games and/or would do the instore exchanges locally (i.e. you still have a Blockbuster nearby). Even more so if you don't care about foreign films, indie films and documentaries as their selection will be fine for you in that case.

But I watch a lot of those, only play a few games a year these days (and just buy them) and my closest store went under so not much reason for me to bother since it's the same price as Netflix for 1 Blu-ray at a time.

[quote name='doubledown']I know BBV switched the IN-STORE policy with a 1 say rental basically now for a cheaper price, how do the IN-STORE swaps work, can you only have it for 1 night?[/QUOTE]

You keep for as long as you like. They wont send you another movie via mail until you check that movie back in.

[quote name='lordopus99']You keep for as long as you like. They wont send you another movie via mail until you check that movie back in.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see....interesting. I believe when they first started, they treated the IN STORE rental as just a normal rental, so they would ship you your mail movie as soon as you dropped it off.

Thus, you could potentially have 2 out at the same time.,

[quote name='doubledown']Oh, I see....interesting. I believe when they first started, they treated the IN STORE rental as just a normal rental, so they would ship you your mail movie as soon as you dropped it off.

Thus, you could potentially have 2 out at the same time.,[/QUOTE]

They did. They changed it in April-May(ish) 2010. When you would swap a movie before then, you'd get a movie for 3-5 days (depending on how new it was) and they would send you the next movie on your queue. It no longer works like that.

Blockbuster still seems like a decent choice for me, since I have one relatively close still. How are New Release availability for BBV?

[quote name='blackfrancis44']Come September, I am done with Netflix. They added all sorts of streaming contents that just absolutely sucks (like 80s sex/horror flicks), they pay a fortune to license this garbage...then pass the cost on to us. I'd rather they not license terrible movies and keep the same prices. I can get two premium cable channels for the price of netflix and record what i watch on a DVR. I never thought HBO and Showtime would be the cheaper option. Terrible Netflix.[/QUOTE]

I don't want romance movies on Netflix, but I put up with them since Netflix puts up my 80's horror movies.

Not everybody has the same taste as you, bud.

[quote name='doubledown']Blockbuster still seems like a decent choice for me, since I have one relatively close still. How are New Release availability for BBV?[/QUOTE]

When I did a trial this past Spring, I didn't have an issue with new releases. I rent straight Blu-ray.

Do realize I would expect they will be getting a high volume of new subscribers so that could change. I won't know until I re-subscribe back up (waiting on fiance to finish tv series on Netflix stream).

It's too bad BB doesn't have an instant collection. It would probably be an instant siwtch f they did (assuming the content is comparable)

I don't even rent from netflix I only stream, anyway I've heard that the $8 per month for streaming only will remain intact

I know it wont be the same... but how does amazons free with prime stream service compare to netflix? After the past 2 rate hikes from Netflix, im finally ready to tell them to f-off.

I dropped streaming, kept discs.

Streaming's quality isn't good enough.
The close captioning sucks IF it's there.
The selection BARELY overlaps with my queue.

It's mostly for TV shows, but I have my own DVR already.

[quote name='Steggy']I know it wont be the same... but how does amazons free with prime stream service compare to netflix? After the past 2 rate hikes from Netflix, im finally ready to tell them to f-off.[/QUOTE]

This article might help to answer that question, and it doesn't look good:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4174706...s/t/amazon-prime-vs-netflix-which-better-you/

For what it's worth, though, I did take a random sampling from my Netflix queue and compare it to what's available on Amazon, and many (though not all) of the titles that I checked were available. I only had time to check a small number, though. I think you'll just have to go through their listings and see if they'll work for you.

One thing that I'm definitely not pleased about with Amazon's streaming listings (I haven't subscribed to actually try it yet) is that it's unclear what if any of the content is in HD. HD is hit-or-miss on Netflix, but at least they make it easy to find out whether something is in HD or not. I'd like to know, if I make the jump, that I won't be losing what HD content I have.

Another issue for me is that I've got five devices attached to my TV that can play Netflix streaming content (the PS3, the XBox, the Wii, the computer, and the TV itself). The only device that I have which is capable of playing Amazon streaming content is the computer, which is the biggest pain in the ass of all of them (have to wait for it to boot up, log on, etc.). I know that I can buy a Roku box that will handle Amazon streaming, but ugh... enough boxes already.

Still, since I continue to cling tenuously to my grad student status, I can use Amazon's student Prime offer to get it for $39/year, and I'll get the free shipping as well (I'm still not clear on whether I can keep my free student Prime account for the shipping for another year or whether I have to do the $39 option for it to keep it). At that price, I'll probably give it a try.

I'm really torn on what to do about Netflix at this point. While I am incredibly pissed about this move and ready to jump the moment a better option comes up, there still really aren't any. Everything else will cost just as much, or offer less service, or have some other problem. I really hope that some of these other services can start being more competitive now.

What I think I might do is cancel my Netflix subscription entirely for a few months as an act of protest. Get counted in the numbers of people dropping off because of it. Between my blu-ray backlog and Hulu+, I've got plenty of content to keep me entertained for a while. But the reality of the situation is that, until something better comes up, I'll probably eventually end up resubscribing to Netflix anyway. And I get the feeling that they know that.

[quote name='arcane93'](I'm still not clear on whether I can keep my free student Prime account for the shipping for another year or whether I have to do the $39 option for it to keep it). At that price, I'll probably give it a try.
[/quote]

Pretty sure you have to pay the $39. The free year is just for your first year on a student account to get you hooked. :D

I really hope that some of these other services can start being more competitive now.

That's what really needs to happen. Someone else needs to get their streaming content up to, or beyond netflix's, so there's some competition that makes it harder for them to raise prices.

But the reality of the situation is that, until something better comes up, I'll probably eventually end up resubscribing to Netflix anyway. And I get the feeling that they know that.

They do. There's really just no better option for a serious movie fan right now. Blockbuster's selection is too lacking in foreign films, indie films and documentaries.

Casual move fans can get by with blockbuster, or just Redbox. TV fans can mostly get buy with Hulu etc. But if you're really into movies you're pretty much stuck sucking on Netflix's tit, and they know it.

That said, the pricing they offer is still pretty good IMO. I just personally don't think the streaming is worth the extra money right now when I can just request a disc for pretty much any title I'd want to stream.

The convenience of streaming is great, but I won't pay the extra price to have it and discs, and I have to have the discs for all the new releases and other titles that aren't available to stream that are my top priority. Down the road if they improve the selection a lot, then maybe it will be worth adding back to my disc plan or even switching to streaming only.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They do. There's really just no better option for a serious movie fan right now. Blockbuster's selection is too lacking in foreign films, indie films and documentaries.

Casual move fans can get by with blockbuster, or just Redbox. TV fans can mostly get buy with Hulu etc. But if you're really into movies you're pretty much stuck sucking on Netflix's tit, and they know it.[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster isn't great for foreign and indie films, but I'm wondering how a combination of Blockbuster and Hulu+ would work out for that, since Hulu+ has the Criterion Collection now. And yeah, I know that those two combined will cost just as much or more than Netflix, but the reality for me is that I already subscribe to Hulu+ (subscribed because of a few shows my gf and I wanted to watch, staying for Criterion), so it's not an extra cost to factor in this decision anyway.

Actually, you know, that's my biggest problem in all of this. If one service would cover my every need, I'd be happy to pay a premium for it. But when I have to subscribe to both Netflix and Hulu+ to get what I want (and I still don't get everything), it all adds up to be a bit much.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That said, the pricing they offer is still pretty good IMO. I just personally don't think the streaming is worth the extra money right now when I can just request a disc for pretty much any title I'd want to stream.

The convenience of streaming is great, but I won't pay the extra price to have it and discs, and I have to have the discs for all the new releases and other titles that aren't available to stream that are my top priority. Down the road if they improve the selection a lot, then maybe it will be worth adding back to my disc plan or even switching to streaming only.[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, a lot of what I watch on Netflix streaming is TV shows. I just got through their entire selection of Eureka (which, to be fair, is on Hulu+ as well, though not all in HD like it is on Netflix), and I'm currently watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Before those, I watched Weeds and Californication. And I've been intermittently watching episodes of The Incredible Hulk.

So yeah, I could probably get all of these on disc as well. But TV shows on disc from Netflix are a bit of a losing proposition. Unless you intend to just plow through the shows watching a bunch of episodes at a time, you're going to end up sitting on that disc for a while. So it ends up taking up space in your queue and keeping you from getting anything else.

That's the problem with Netflix splitting off streaming and discs right now -- neither the streaming option nor the disc option are entirely satisfactory. So you're stuck almost having to subscribe to both.

[quote name='arcane93']Blockbuster isn't great for foreign and indie films, but I'm wondering how a combination of Blockbuster and Hulu+ would work out for that, since Hulu+ has the Criterion Collection now. [/quote]

Criterion is a pretty small collection of classic/indie/foreign films though. And very few new releases in those categories.

So it's not enough for me--but I don't have Hulu anyway since I'm not much into TV shows anymore.

But it may be enough if you're only casually into foreign and indie films.

On the other hand, a lot of what I watch on Netflix streaming is TV shows. I just got through their entire selection of Eureka (which, to be fair, is on Hulu+ as well, though not all in HD like it is on Netflix), and I'm currently watching Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Before those, I watched Weeds and Californication. And I've been intermittently watching episodes of The Incredible Hulk.

So yeah, I could probably get all of these on disc as well. But TV shows on disc from Netflix are a bit of a losing proposition. Unless you intend to just plow through the shows watching a bunch of episodes at a time, you're going to end up sitting on that disc for a while. So it ends up taking up space in your queue and keeping you from getting anything else.

That's the problem with Netflix splitting off streaming and discs right now -- neither the streaming option nor the disc option are entirely satisfactory. So you're stuck almost having to subscribe to both.

All true. Moot for me as I pretty much quit watching TV series. Just too big of time sinks for my current schedule.

I would say, if I was watching a ton of TV shows, I'd think the Netflix streaming + disc plan was still a good deal. It's just not a good deal for me since I don't watch many TV shows and was only using the streaming to watch 1 or 2 random films a month in between discs. For the few shows like Dexter and Weeds I still follow, I'm ok with the disc rentals. I just watch a disc over a night or two and mail them back.

Even if you need Hulu for current shows (i.e. you don't have cable or satellite) you're looking at $15.98 for Netflix (+$2 if you want Blurays) and $9.99 for Hulu plus (if that's still the price).

So that's $25-27 a month depending on bluray or not, which is still way cheaper than cable or satellite. So while the price increase sucks, if you're actually using both the disc and streaming a lot, it's still a pretty cheap entertainment plan.

Though of course I know everyone has their own budgets and own opinions of what things are worth, so that's totally a YMMV thing.

Well I have the 1 disc out unlimited plan and I have kept each disc for months, I use it for streaming only pretty much. Glad to hear that we'll have the option for streaming only and the price will be the same. They have a great selection for the TV shows that I like, and an amazing selection for the young children I have.

[quote name='arcane93']T
Still, since I continue to cling tenuously to my grad student status, I can use Amazon's student Prime offer to get it for $39/year, and I'll get the free shipping as well (I'm still not clear on whether I can keep my free student Prime account for the shipping for another year or whether I have to do the $39 option for it to keep it). At that price, I'll probably give it a try.
I[/QUOTE]

I don't have a student prime account, but I think they DO NOT get free streaming the regular prime customers get. I seem to remember some grousing about this when Amazon announced their streaming for prime customers a few months back....maybe things might change for student prime accounts that folks actually pay something for, but you will want to look into this before putting down your cash for it.

[quote name='punklivz'] Glad to hear that we'll have the option for streaming only and the price will be the same. They have a great selection for the TV shows that I like, and an amazing selection for the young children I have.[/QUOTE]

They had a streaming only option for almost a year now, I don't know why you didn't just switch to it. It sucks for everyone else when people like you hold on to a DVD for so long.

[quote name='ssjmichael']They had a streaming only option for almost a year now, I don't know why you didn't just switch to it. It sucks for everyone else when people like you hold on to a DVD for so long.[/QUOTE]

Well I wasn't aware of it, so I'll be switching over. And when I rent a movie it's been women work out vids, which if I like I have purchased.

[quote name='punklivz']. And when I rent a movie it's been women work out vids, which if I like I have purchased.[/QUOTE]

lol seriously? I guess there isn't a huge demand for those on other people's queue.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Criterion is a pretty small collection of classic/indie/foreign films though. And very few new releases in those categories.

So it's not enough for me--but I don't have Hulu anyway since I'm not much into TV shows anymore.

But it may be enough if you're only casually into foreign and indie films.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area (Washington, DC metro area) where we have several theaters that specialize in foreign and indie films (two Landmark theaters and the AFI Silver), as well as various other screenings at museums and embassies and such. So I get to see a lot of the new foreign and independent films that I want to see in the theater. I can definitely sympathize with people who live in places that don't have that option, though, as I did myself for many years.

For classic foreign and indie stuff -- yeah, Criterion doesn't have nearly everything by a long shot, but the important thing for me is that they have far more that I want to see than I actually have time to watch. ;)

[quote name='dmaul1114']All true. Moot for me as I pretty much quit watching TV series. Just too big of time sinks for my current schedule.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I'm the opposite -- I've actually started watching a lot more TV shows than I used to because of my current schedule. Generally, I want some sort of entertainment at night before I go to bed, but I don't have time to watch a full movie (unless I really want to be dragging my ass at work the next day). An episode of a TV show tends to fit the bill perfectly, though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Though of course I know everyone has their own budgets and own opinions of what things are worth, so that's totally a YMMV thing.[/QUOTE]

My problem is that I can afford it, so on the one hand I have a hard time justifying dropping it, but at the same time, a sudden 60% increase in price (what it will be for me with my current plan) right on the heels of another price increase earlier this year just really pisses me off on principle. I don't want to support it. It may not seem like much with just Netflix, but if every service that I subscribe to (internet, phone, electricity, etc.) were to do that, it would be pretty awful.

[quote name='K_G']I don't have a student prime account, but I think they DO NOT get free streaming the regular prime customers get. I seem to remember some grousing about this when Amazon announced their streaming for prime customers a few months back....maybe things might change for student prime accounts that folks actually pay something for, but you will want to look into this before putting down your cash for it.[/QUOTE]

The free student Prime accounts don't include streaming, but the $39 ones do. It's one of the big advertising points they've been using to get people to upgrade.

[quote name='ssjmichael']lol seriously? I guess there isn't a huge demand for those on other people's queue.[/QUOTE]

lol yea, I don't really care for the ones in the instant queue. I really like Jillian Michaels, and they don't have ANY on instant. :p I don't think many people rent them.

[quote name='arcane93']One thing that I'm definitely not pleased about with Amazon's streaming listings (I haven't subscribed to actually try it yet) is that it's unclear what if any of the content is in HD. HD is hit-or-miss on Netflix, but at least they make it easy to find out whether something is in HD or not. I'd like to know, if I make the jump, that I won't be losing what HD content I have.

Another issue for me is that I've got five devices attached to my TV that can play Netflix streaming content (the PS3, the XBox, the Wii, the computer, and the TV itself). The only device that I have which is capable of playing Amazon streaming content is the computer, which is the biggest pain in the ass of all of them (have to wait for it to boot up, log on, etc.). I know that I can buy a Roku box that will handle Amazon streaming, but ugh... enough boxes already.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is not as convenient as Netflix but I think it's a great substitute if you already have Prime. You can filter out high defintion content by typing [HD] and make sure you click on the button that says clear so only free videos pop up.

I use my Blu-Ray player to watch Amazon and think it's great but still not as convenient. I'm sure there other devices you can use such as appleTV or something similar.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area (Washington, DC metro area) where we have several theaters that specialize in foreign and indie films (two Landmark theaters and the AFI Silver), as well as various other screenings at museums and embassies and such. So I get to see a lot of the new foreign and independent films that I want to see in the theater. I can definitely sympathize with people who live in places that don't have that option, though, as I did myself for many years.[/quote]

Yeah I was in the DC area for 7 years before moving to Atlanta. We don't get the selection of foreign and indie films here, but still get most of the major ones.

My issue is I just seldom go to to the theater anymore. Just hard to find the time and anyone to go with, and ticket prices keep going up. So I mainly would just rather wait and watch at home. Especially character dramas etc. that don't really benefit from the big screen experience anyway.

Heh, I'm the opposite -- I've actually started watching a lot more TV shows than I used to because of my current schedule. Generally, I want some sort of entertainment at night before I go to bed, but I don't have time to watch a full movie (unless I really want to be dragging my ass at work the next day). An episode of a TV show tends to fit the bill perfectly, though.

Yeah, I work a ton of ours a week, but being a professor I can pretty much work them whenever I want so I don't have to worry about getting up early the next day.

So I can usually find a couple hours to watch a movie a few times a week. With a TV series it's just a huge time chunk to get through it all when you're talking anywhere from 10 to 22 45-60 minute episodes and multiple seasons. So I could watch a LOT of movies in the same time it takes to finish say all 8 seasons of 24 or another long running show. :D

Watching shows as they air isn't so bad as then it's just 45 minutes a week to fit in. I just hate getting into serial dramas as they air as I've gotten burned so many times with them getting canceled and not getting any resolution to the story!

My problem is that I can afford it, so on the one hand I have a hard time justifying dropping it, but at the same time, a sudden 60% increase in price (what it will be for me with my current plan) right on the heels of another price increase earlier this year just really pisses me off on principle. I don't want to support it. It may not seem like much with just Netflix, but if every service that I subscribe to (internet, phone, electricity, etc.) were to do that, it would be pretty awful.

Yeah, I get the principle thing. I was very annoyed when I first got the e-mail about the increase as well.

But then I realized I don't really use the streaming much anyway, so I'm not out much canceling it and just going disc only, and actually save $2 a month that way.

And the $15.98 is still a good deal for someone that watches a lot of streaming and discs--even though the 60% price jump at once is a slap in the face. But it's more a case that it was a bad financial move on Netflix's part to add the streaming service for free in the first place as it spoiled everyone.

Well I may go with just the steaming option. First I think I"ll upgrade my router to something with N either a netgear, cisco, an asus, or a d-link. I leaning toward the netgear.

Will Roku work with Hulu?

[quote name='kube00']Will Roku work with Hulu?[/QUOTE]

Roku will support Hulu+, at least on their latest models. You might want to double check for the specific model that you're looking at before you buy.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I was thinking of trying Hulu now, they look like less fail but... that isn't compatible with the transformer too... :\[/QUOTE]

Transformer?

Do you find yourself watching a lot of video on your Transformer?

I was initially stocked about having Netflix on my iPad, but I hardly ever used it. At home I'd rather watch on the 50" tv, and when traveling the wifi in most hotels was too slow to use it.

Makes sense for those types of things. I was never much into streaming video on my desktops or laptops either, so I'm not sure why I thought I'd use a tablet more for that!

If it's video, I'd usually rather just wait until I can watch it on my big screen. And I never got into podcasts and video blogs etc. so those were always moot for me.

I enjoy video on my 47in hdtv (no don't need it bigger... dad has a 60 in.) but only if it's Blu ray or HD (naturally). As for on the go I've always been about video. Since it's a smaller screen I don't really worry about quality of the video although going from a archos 7o to an asus transformer is a pretty BIG step in quality and size. I've been real happy.

Yeah, I've never been super picky about quality. I just like the big screen as it's more true to the movie theater experience. Though of course I prefer BR/HD when possible!

On the go is the one time I would like to use video on my tablet for netflix etc., but I'm not on the go much locally (just back and forth to home and work and I drive so can't watch anything then) and have had bad luck, as noted, when traveling with the hotel wifi being too slow for the video to stream without either stopping to buffer a lot or looking terrible.

Otherwise, I never really got into streaming video online--probably because I didn't get broadband at home until I was 26 or 27 so I got used to just using the internet for reading sites and posting on forums! Hell, I never even used Netflix streaming until they added it to the 360 as I didn't want to watch movies on my desktop or laptop!

[quote name='arcane93']My problem is that I can afford it, so on the one hand I have a hard time justifying dropping it, but at the same time, a sudden 60% increase in price (what it will be for me with my current plan) right on the heels of another price increase earlier this year just really pisses me off on principle. I don't want to support it. It may not seem like much with just Netflix, but if every service that I subscribe to (internet, phone, electricity, etc.) were to do that, it would be pretty awful.[/QUOTE]

That is my exact stance on why I am switching to Blockbuster from Netflix.

They removed so much last month, and now they wanna charge more? I'm not gonna cancel but they damn well better add some more. I want Dexter back!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I was initially stocked about having Netflix on my iPad, but I hardly ever used it. At home I'd rather watch on the 50" tv, and when traveling the wifi in most hotels was too slow to use it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've found that even with just a 3G connection, I have no trouble viewing Netflix on my iPhone most of the time (thank goodness I've managed to keep my unlimited data plan :D). I have a hard time imagining wifi that's worse than AT&T's sorry excuse for 3G. :lol: It's not really ideal on the tiny phone screen, but I've found it useful when traveling.

[quote name='arcane93']Really? I've found that even with just a 3G connection, I have no trouble viewing Netflix on my iPhone most of the time (thank goodness I've managed to keep my unlimited data plan :D). I have a hard time imagining wifi that's worse than AT&T's sorry excuse for 3G. :lol: It's not really ideal on the tiny phone screen, but I've found it useful when traveling.[/QUOTE]

Some hotels I've stayed showed the wifi in the 100-300kbps range on speedtest.net. Probably gets bogged down if a lot of people are on at one time.

Also, when you stream over 3G, it downgrades to a lower quality stream. A problem with wifi is it tends to try to stream a higher quality than it should so you have to wait for it to rebuffer and downgrade.

[quote name='lordopus99']That is my exact stance on why I am switching to Blockbuster from Netflix.[/QUOTE]

I considered it, but just from some quick searches of stuff in my Netflix queue I found them pretty lacking in foreign films and documentaries.

Not having a close BB anymore since the nearest one went out of business hurts as well.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

On the go is the one time I would like to use video on my tablet for netflix etc., [/QUOTE]

One things for sure... Drag and Drop > iTunes Transcoding and CrApple. If not streaming stuff.

It seems like a lot of people are cancelling already, but the prices don't go UP until September for existing users (at least that is what my e-mail said). I'll ride it our until then, and then I will cancel the streaming portion.

Right now I have streaming plus 1, and il be downgrading to stream only, which, btw, for $8 a month is still very much worth it to me. I'm watching Netflix more than I'm playing video games these days. I love Netflix, even though they don't have true new releases, and I want the world to know.

[quote name='doubledown']It seems like a lot of people are cancelling already, but the prices don't go UP until September for existing users (at least that is what my e-mail said). I'll ride it our until then, and then I will cancel the streaming portion.[/QUOTE]

If you'll cancel streaming, I think you'd be better off if you cancelled Netflix itself. Paying a guaranteed $8 + tax per month for DVDs makes little sense to me. At least in my case I get a DVD every 3 days if I watch it the same day it arrives and send it out next morning. That is a maximum of 10 DVD's a month. But so many times I just don't get to a DVD for days and as a result I end up watching say 4-5 movies a month & I'd rather pay $5 at a BBV or a redbox.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']If you'll cancel streaming, I think you'd be better off if you cancelled Netflix itself. Paying a guaranteed $8 + tax per month for DVDs makes little sense to me. At least in my case I get a DVD every 3 days if I watch it the same day it arrives and send it out next morning. That is a maximum of 10 DVD's a month. But so many times I just don't get to a DVD for days and as a result I end up watching say 4-5 movies a month & I'd rather pay $5 at a BBV or a redbox.[/QUOTE]

If you're only watching new release movies, I guess that makes sense, but Redbox and the BBV equivalent have a pretty limited selection. If you want to be able to watch catalog titles or anything out of the mainstream, you're largely out of luck except for those few random things they throw in.

Oh how times have changed when $8 is considered a lot for 4-5 movies. What did Blockbuster stores charge for DVD rentals again? $4 each for catalog titles, $5 for new releases?

bread's done
Back