Let's Stop Pretending The Media Is Unbiased regarding Obama

bmulligan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Kudos for the NY Post to allow this type of story of their own behavior. It shows there may be hope for a free press.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110702895.html

Gosh, she's not even a statistician. Lord knows what types of tanking the media did for Obama if real data crunchers could be enlisted to do such analysis. I think we can safely believe that Obama wasn't the victim of an overreaching media attack against him, like others' want to believe. The lack of scrutiny this election cycle is stunning to me, not only on the plethora of Obama's questionable credentials, but the bias by omission on all of McCain's past escapades as well.

If only Myke's talents could be used for good instead of evil...

If you have to go to the print media for all your information, then you are a retard. Quit acting like you can't go out and find any of this information on your own.

LOL.. Give it up. You couldn't even fit everything the media left out about McCain's past on the entire internet.

[quote name='bmulligan']Kudos for the NY Post to allow this type of story of their own behavior. It shows there may be hope for a free press.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110702895.html

Gosh, she's not even a statistician. Lord knows what types of tanking the media did for Obama if real data crunchers could be enlisted to do such analysis. I think we can safely believe that Obama wasn't the victim of an overreaching media attack against him, like others' want to believe. The lack of scrutiny this election cycle is stunning to me, not only on the plethora of Obama's questionable credentials, but the bias by omission on all of McCain's past escapades as well.

If only Myke's talents could be used for good instead of evil...[/quote]

Most of the media became pro-Obama because of the actions of the McCain campaign.

The campaign started spewing lies, trying to imply he was a terrorist, a communist, and an "outsider". The media woke up, and noticed that (thank shit).

It's not about being pro-Obama. It's about showing the McCain campaign for the hateful fear mongering campaign it ended up being.

End of thread.

[quote name='nathansu']Most of the media became pro-Obama because of the actions of the McCain campaign.[/QUOTE] :lol:

The media was pro-Obama from at least 2004 on.

:lol: Let's buy into the "let's count the articles each gets" method of establishing bias.

:rofl: Because what that means is an even MORE lopsided bias in *favor* of Sarah Palin.

:rofl: Her methodology sucks my ass.

Besides, what are you bitchin' about? Ain't it you nitwits on the right who don't want to see the fairness doctrine back in place?

:lol:

C'mon bmulligan, you're smarter than that, you know you can't ignore causation.

You can't draw conclusions on the impartiality of press based on balance of positive/negative coverage -- coverage should accurately reflect the facts. I know it'll rub a lot of people the wrong way to hear, but Obama got more favorable coverage because he was the superior candidate and ran the better campaign. Historians will agree.

According to any conservative, everything is left-leaning / liberal.

Fact of the matter is, relative to conservatives, America is left-leaning. There are more registered dem than registered rep, and even those who are registered rep typically agree with left ideology when presented to them through non-partisan polling rather than as the stance of the democratic platform.

This has been proven extensively, but conservatives write it off because "Academia is liberally biased" or whatever...

The whole argument is pretty much bullshit. American politics will always be centrist as the majority leans left while the most vocal lean right.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Interesting. Why do you think that is?[/QUOTE]

He thinks it is so because he is a vapid know nothing taint.

Bmulligan, principe and the assorted funky bunch are just a bunch of ignorant asses who crawled up their own asses and died.

It is why they believe what they do.

[quote name='Koggit']According to any conservative, everything is left-leaning / liberal.

Fact of the matter is, relative to conservatives, America is left-leaning. There are more registered dem than registered rep, and even those who are registered rep typically agree with left ideology when presented to them through non-partisan polling rather than as the stance of the democratic platform.

This has been proven extensively, but conservatives write it off because "Academia is liberally biased" or whatever...

The whole argument is pretty much bullshit. American politics will always be centrist as the majority leans left while the most vocal lean right.[/quote]Really? Last time I checked, gay marriage was banned in all of the states that proposed such measures. Even in California, which many consider very liberal. Trust me, I was shocked, too. But it seems as if America leans a tad to the right, rather than the other way.

California being predominantly liberal is a misconception. Sure, Los Angeles and San Francisco tend to be pretty liberal, but the rest of the state is just as much God-fearing conservatives as the midwest. Outside of the big cities, the state is very much red. The problem is that the population is really low there, so their vote doesn't count as much.

For Canadians, think of Canada as Alberta. Los Angeles and San Francisco are Calgary, the rest is Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Really? Last time I checked, gay marriage was banned in all of the states that proposed such measures. Even in California, which many consider very liberal. Trust me, I was shocked, too. But it seems as if America leans a tad to the right, rather than the other way.[/quote]
1: Cherry picking?
2: Massachusetts?

[quote name='The Crotch']1: Cherry picking?
2: Massachusetts?[/quote]How is it cherry picking, yet your example isn't? Mass is friggin' tiny! All I'm saying is that from what I've seen, most of America is a tad to the right (but only a tad).

Yeah, I'd agree that America is still a center-right nation, especially on social issues. I think we've been moving left from the 60's on, with set backs of course (Reagan, W, etc.), but still have a long ways to go.

There was a good article on this in a recent Newsweek.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/164656

dmaul beat me to it. This country is center right and will always be there. Obama won because people were tired of being lied to by the Republican Party.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Tiny? Come on, what are you talking about? That thing is friggin' huge![/quote]How do you know that? I never stated the weight! :whistle2:k

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']How is it cherry picking, yet your example isn't? Mass is friggin' tiny! All I'm saying is that from what I've seen, most of America is a tad to the right (but only a tad).[/quote]
You used only one of a many possible issues as an example, hence my complaint about cherry picking. That's not to say that you're necessarily wrong, just that one example can't be used to prover your point. I brought up Massachusetts because it contradicted a blanket statement that you made: "Last time I checked, gay marriage was banned in all of the states that proposed such measures."

All = all, though I guess it's possible that you were talking about this election cycle only.

Also, Connecticut.

Media bias != media pointing out that shit is fucked up. That's all they did this campaign.

The McCain campaign was a throwback to McCarthyism - a very "OMG HE'S A COMMUNIST" the entire time.

[quote name='elprincipe']2008 election Washington Post exit poll:

22% liberal
44% moderate
34% conservative

I'd say that qualifies as "center-right."[/QUOTE]

That doesn't say much, though. "Liberal" has been slammed into the ground by the right so much that it's become a slur. It's expected that fewer would self-identify as liberal.

The left hasn't rallied against conservatives as the right have against liberals, so people are less susceptible to the negative connotations.

Note the overwhelming amount of people that self-identify as "socially liberal but fiscally conservative"... it's a joke. It's quite literally a joke, 30 Rock had their dumbass character call himself "socially conservative but fiscally liberal" -- when you stop to think about how asinine the counter statement is you really realize what the Karl Roves of the country have done to the words we use to describe political ideology.

Regardless -- more Americans register Democratic (not to be confused with Democrat, another slur from the right), more independents vote Democrats, and Americans have been found to favor liberal national policy in nonpartisan studies.

[quote name='depascal22']Maybe we should turn conservatism into a four letter word like liberalism.[/QUOTE]
It's what the leftists have already been doing for years. From Hillary repeating the term "right wing conspiracy", to the media canonizing every Republican involved in a scandal as a "Right Wing Conservative." It's what you attempt to do every time you post.

And yes, you are a "leftist", not a "Liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. You an your brethren could not be any farther from representing belief in freedom or rights of the individuals to act as free people. The fact that Republicans and conservatives are too stupid to realize they are demonizing the term that equates with 'freedom' leads me to believe they are just a determined to eliminate it as you and your camp are.

[quote name='depascal22']Maybe we should turn conservatism into a four letter word like liberalism.[/QUOTE]

Too late.

Some just have not realized it yet.

2008 election Washington Post exit poll:

And this is where you lost all credibility. See http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/ten-reasons-why-you-should-ignore-exit.html . Exit polls are not reliable or even halfway scientific as, say, phone polls are.

Even if that WEREN'T the case, however, asking people to self identify their political views is going to lead you to crappy results. As talked about above, liberal has become a bad thing to be. Conservative is good (although 'right' is wrong.). When given the choice between 'race has no impact on my decisions' and 'I'm a racist', most people will choose the former, even when they actively discriminate against others based on their race.

America has always been a progressive country. Those who want to move forward defeat those who want to look backwards. If there's anything this election should teach everyone, that is it.

Here you go (of course, after the fact when it won't affect the outcome), from that "liberal publication," the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/07/AR2008110702895.html

An Obama Tilt in Campaign Coverage

By Deborah Howell
Sunday, November 9, 2008; Page B06

The Post provided a lot of good campaign coverage, but readers have been consistently critical of the lack of probing issues coverage and what they saw as a tilt toward Democrat Barack Obama. My surveys, which ended on Election Day, show that they are right on both counts.
My assistant, Jean Hwang, and I have been examining Post coverage since Nov. 11 last year on issues, voters, fundraising, the candidates' backgrounds and horse-race stories on tactics, strategy and consultants. We also have looked at photos and Page 1 stories since Obama captured the nomination June 4. Numbers don't tell you everything, but they give you a sense of The Post's priorities.
The count was lopsided, with 1,295 horse-race stories and 594 issues stories. The Post was deficient in stories that reported more than the two candidates trading jabs; readers needed articles, going back to the primaries, comparing their positions with outside experts' views. There were no broad stories on energy or science policy, and there were few on religion issues.
Bill Hamilton, assistant managing editor for politics, said, "There are a lot of things I wish we'd been able to do in covering this campaign, but we had to make choices about what we felt we were uniquely able to provide our audiences both in Washington and on the Web. I don't at all discount the importance of issues, but we had a larger purpose, to convey and explain a campaign that our own David Broder described as the most exciting he has ever covered, a narrative that unfolded until the very end. I think our staff rose to the occasion."

The op-ed page ran far more laudatory opinion pieces on Obama, 32, than on Sen. John McCain, 13. There were far more negative pieces (58) about McCain than there were about Obama (32), and Obama got the editorial board's endorsement. The Post has several conservative columnists, but not all were gung-ho about McCain.
Stories and photos about Obama in the news pages outnumbered those devoted to McCain. Post reporters, photographers and editors -- like most of the national news media -- found the candidacy of Obama, the first African American major-party nominee, more newsworthy and historic. Journalists love the new; McCain, 25 years older than Obama, was already well known and had more scars from his longer career in politics.
The number of Obama stories since Nov. 11 was 946, compared with McCain's 786. Both had hard-fought primary campaigns, but Obama's battle with Hillary Rodham Clinton was longer, and the numbers reflect that.
McCain clinched the GOP nomination on March 4, and Obama won his on June 4. From then to Election Day, the tally was Obama, 626 stories, and McCain, 584. Obama was on the front page 176 times, McCain, 144 times; 41 stories featured both.
Our survey results are comparable to figures for the national news media from a study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism. It found that from June 9, when Clinton dropped out of the race, until Nov. 2, 66 percent of the campaign stories were about Obama compared with 53 percent for McCain; some stories featured both. The project also calculated that in that time, 57 percent of the stories were about the horse race and 13 percent were about issues.
Counting from June 4, Obama was in 311 Post photos and McCain in 282. Obama led in most categories. Obama led 133 to 121 in pictures more than three columns wide, 178 to 161 in smaller pictures, and 164 to 133 in color photos. In black and white photos, the nominees were about even, with McCain at 149 and Obama at 147. On Page 1, they were even at 26 each. Post photo and news editors were surprised by my first count on Aug. 3, which showed a much wider disparity, and made a more conscious effort at balance afterward.
Some readers complain that coverage is too poll-driven. They're right, but it's not going to change. The Post's polling was on the mark, and in some cases ahead of the curve, in focusing on independent voters, racial attitudes, low-wage voters, the shift of African Americans' support from Clinton to Obama and the rising importance of economic issues. The Post and its polling partner ABC News include 50 to 60 issues questions in every survey instead of just horse-race questions, so public attitudes were plumbed as well.
The Post had a hard-working team on the campaign. Special praise goes to Dan Balz, the best, most level-headed, incisive political reporter and analyst in newspapers. His stories and "Dan Balz's Take" on washingtonpost.com were fair, penetrating and on the mark. His mentor, David S. Broder, was as sharp as ever.
Michael Dobbs, the Fact Checker, also deserves praise for parsing campaign rhetoric for the overblown or just flat wrong. Howard Kurtz's Ad Watch was a sharp reality check.
The Post's biographical pieces, especially the first ones -- McCain by Michael Leahy and Obama by David Maraniss -- were compelling. Maraniss demystified Obama's growing-up years; the piece on his mother and grandparents was a great read. Leahy's first piece on McCain's father and grandfather, both admirals, told me where McCain got his maverick ways as a kid -- right from the two old men.
But Obama deserved tougher scrutiny than he got, especially of his undergraduate years, his start in Chicago and his relationship with Antoin "Tony" Rezko, who was convicted this year of influence-peddling in Chicago. The Post did nothing on Obama's acknowledged drug use as a teenager.
The Post had good coverage of voters, mainly by Krissah Williams Thompson and Kevin Merida. Anne Hull's stories from Florida, Michigan and Liberty University, and Wil Haygood's story from central Montana brought readers into voters' lives. Jose Antonio Vargas's pieces about campaigns and the Internet were standouts.
One gaping hole in coverage involved Joe Biden, Obama's running mate. When Gov. Sarah Palin was nominated for vice president, reporters were booking the next flight to Alaska. Some readers thought The Post went over Palin with a fine-tooth comb and neglected Biden. They are right; it was a serious omission. However, I do not agree with those readers who thought The Post did only hatchet jobs on her. There were several good stories on her, the best on page 1 by Sally Jenkins on how Palin grew up in Alaska.
In early coverage, I wasn't a big fan of the long-running series called "The Gurus" on consultants and important people in the campaigns. The Post has always prided itself on its political coverage, and profiles of the top dogs were probably well read by political junkies. But I thought the series was of no practical use to readers. While there were some interesting pieces in The Frontrunners series, none of them told me anything about where the candidates stood on any issue.
A longer column is online. Deborah Howell can be reached at 202-334-7582 or [email protected].

The media tends to lean left. It's fairly obvious. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

That being said, do I care if they lean left? No. Do I care that conservative dominates talk radio? No. I'm an independant that can make up my own mind about things. I am not going to be so naive as to think fairness takes place in anything regarding politics.

Quite simply, when I watch CNN or FoxNews I focus on regular news, not political news. Any time I see anything dealing with politics I take it with a grain of salt. Every person on those channels is human and has the right to believe what they want.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The media tends to lean left. It's fairly obvious. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

That being said, do I care if they lean left? No. Do I care that conservative dominates talk radio? No. I'm an independant that can make up my own mind about things. I am not going to be so naive as to think fairness takes place in anything regarding politics.

Quite simply, when I watch CNN or FoxNews I focus on regular news, not political news. Any time I see anything dealing with politics I take it with a grain of salt. Every person on those channels is human and has the right to believe what they want.[/quote]

/endthread

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The media tends to lean left. It's fairly obvious. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.[/QUOTE]

You must be joking.

Do you care to grant the right to declare arguments over by fiat to others or just retain those powers for yourself.

Internet independants are getting to be worse than dopa who once famously declared "Bush are not conserataeve".

[quote name='bmulligan']

And yes, you are a "leftist", not a "Liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. You an your brethren could not be any farther from representing belief in freedom or rights of the individuals to act as free people. The fact that Republicans and conservatives are too stupid to realize they are demonizing the term that equates with 'freedom' leads me to believe they are just a determined to eliminate it as you and your camp are.[/quote]

Yeah..How's the patriot act doing? Who signed that again?

Also, the media doesn't lean left in the tiniest bit. It leans right because the neocons have been crying wolf about the media being liberal for so long. It has become so ingrown that even some of you who are not associated with the media believe it.
They do it because, now that people believe it, the media has to be nicer when talking about the right to try to avoid being called liberally biased. This causes the right tilt there is in the media.
Prove me wrong.

[quote name='Msut77']You must be joking.

Do you care to grant the right to declare arguments over by fiat to others or just retain those powers for yourself.

Internet independants are getting to be worse than dopa who once famously declared "Bush are not conserataeve".[/quote]

No, you can declare arguments over as well. :lol:

I should have included "radio leans right" in the quote in the name of fairness though. Or I should have just said, "in my opinion" at the end of that one sentence. I figured that would go without saying though.

I call it like it is. The media (television and print) tends to be liberal, and radio tends to be conservative. Does that mean in all cases? No, but that is just how it tends to be, in my opinion, and I don't have a problem with it.

It's all much ado about nothing. In the information age, we all can find whatever angle on news/politics we like.

I am just saying is that you often hear how people in the media tend to be "liberal" and more often than not it means socially liberal (not fundie) and of course that does not necessarily translate into ones views on policy let alone make you an ideologue.

Which is why I laugh when the media which pretty much defines the acceptable political spectrum as ranging from Joe the Plumber to Joe the Lieberman and both A)were complete panty sniffers during the Clinton and B) Comatose during the Bush years are commies or some shit.

[quote name='Msut77']I am just saying is that you often hear how people in the media tend to be "liberal" and more often than not it means socially liberal (not fundie) and of course that does not necessarily translate into ones views on policy let alone make you an ideologue.
[/quote]

I can agree with that.

What does it mean about "tending" to be conservative.

There's so much *cough* "bias" in how one interprets the news that saying something is so doesn't make it so.

Where were the news stories on McCain's loose ties to terrorism? The fact that he gave 8 times as much money to Khalidi as Obama? Where were the keating five stories to balance Obama's Rezko or William Ayers stories? The gushing on Joe Biden that was given to Sarah Palin (those first ten days, anyway)?

This "story count" is the closest you'll come to a methodological assessment of the media. And it's shit. Allow me to demonstrate.

I have 15 video games. You have 5. I have more than you. So let's trade, ok?

OK! Sweet. Here's your 15 copies of "Madden 2002," now let me have your Fallout 3, Fable 2, Gears of War 2, LittleBigPlanet, and WiiFit.

What do you mean you don't want to trade anymore?

;)

And y'all who know better have gone out of your way to *avoid* pointing out a major methodological flaw in this survey, just like the Pew's Project for Excellence in Journalism study: polls counted as positive/negative coverage. So covering the facts that Obama was ahead of McCain was "liberal media" coverage for the media.

But I'm not going to get y'all to change your minds. You've been so indoctrinated by this idea of the liberal media that the closest you can come to a "study" is an aggregate measure counting the number of positive and negative stories - one with bullshit measures and illogical application of "positive" and "negative" coverage.

And you lap it up like kittens do milk, because you've just found something to fit the conclusion you brought to the argument before you had information to back it up. And you provide no scrutiny for how the study was assembled, and how stories were counted. And you're the people who constantly accuse others of being sheep.

It'd be adorable if it weren't the way you lived your lives.

[quote name='bmulligan']It's what the leftists have already been doing for years. From Hillary repeating the term "right wing conspiracy", to the media canonizing every Republican involved in a scandal as a "Right Wing Conservative." It's what you attempt to do every time you post.

And yes, you are a "leftist", not a "Liberal" by any stretch of the imagination. You an your brethren could not be any farther from representing belief in freedom or rights of the individuals to act as free people. The fact that Republicans and conservatives are too stupid to realize they are demonizing the term that equates with 'freedom' leads me to believe they are just a determined to eliminate it as you and your camp are.[/quote]

OK. I'm leftist. So what? Your version of freedom is the one espoused by white slave owning males. How did that work out for everyone?

[quote name='Koggit']That doesn't say much, though. "Liberal" has been slammed into the ground by the right so much that it's become a slur. It's expected that fewer would self-identify as liberal.

The left hasn't rallied against conservatives as the right have against liberals, so people are less susceptible to the negative connotations.

Note the overwhelming amount of people that self-identify as "socially liberal but fiscally conservative"... it's a joke. It's quite literally a joke, 30 Rock had their dumbass character call himself "socially conservative but fiscally liberal" -- when you stop to think about how asinine the counter statement is you really realize what the Karl Roves of the country have done to the words we use to describe political ideology.

Regardless -- more Americans register Democratic (not to be confused with Democrat, another slur from the right), more independents vote Democrats, and Americans have been found to favor liberal national policy in nonpartisan studies.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you define as "liberal" policy. Read this for some more insight into Americans' mindset.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122628429302812557.html

bread's done
Back