Limited Collectible: Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance Promo Edition (PS2) $30 A/C at GQD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[rightimg]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5198&pictureid=8405[/rightimg]GameQuest Direct has informed CAG that they have exclusively acquired the last 1018 units of this out-of-print game directly from Midway. For more information on this game's history, read the official story here.

Currently down to the last 900 units, GQD has issued a coupon code to the CAG community for a limited time. To get $10 off, use coupon code: MKDACAG3 at checkout. Coupon expires August 1st or when quota is met. Prices are expected to increase when GQD is down to the last 100 pieces.

:ps2: Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance Promo Edition $29.99 after coupon

[quote name='sotc1988']I would take the spirit of the thread as harmless ribbing and not as anything too bad. Nice writeup though.[/QUOTE]

same here. not a deal but might be noteworthy to some hardcore fan/collector. weren't people selling misprinted FF7s (that had a shifted i or something) for more than a regular copy?

If these were given away free then I'm sure there are some floating around which makes the GQD description more hilarious. Edit: my mistake I thought the post by Kyro was written by GQD.

shittycagdealsftw.png

"Extremely Limited Collectible" :roll:

Two ads in a row! :p

[quote name='drfrielgood']Someone nailed it on the head a while ago when they said GQD probably overpaid a bit for these and have to charge $30 to make a decent profit. I'm sure they would sell them at $20 if they could.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, but it's not like they can't take a loss on this rubbish. Every retailer has to face a few overstocked blunders and take a loss with a clearance sale. This should have been their posterboy for just such a sale:

"Mortal Buyback Deadly Overstock Clearance Sale - Limited Edition"

Thankfully I'm not the collector as I used to be so this is not something I'll pick up, but I appreciate the information and the coupon code that was provided.

It's too bad GQD couldn't also find some worthless Mortal Kombat patches or something to throw in with this. If that were the case, people on here would be buying this in droves.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']This a very CAG unfriendly deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously, what the fuck? $30 for a sticker on a mid-range last gen title? That is about as un-cheap ass gamer as you can get. I hope you got paid for the straight up ad you are giving the shit-suckers at GQD. I bet that didn't pay over a grand for the whole lot.

Edit: Just read the later post. So you didn't even get paid? That's sad... And their so-called coupons still leave you with over-priced crap that you can usually get cheaper elsewhere. Not to mention the ethics involved of the company as a whole. I'm not offended, I just don't think it belongs there, at least not without being paid for.

if posting GQD stuff helps pay the bills than so be it. they payed for it so cheapy is obligated to post their ads.

not interested at all in this.

edit: nvm on what i said.that really sucks you dont get paid for it.They should be paying you cheapy.

I'd only buy one if it was a guarantee that Sonya Blade jumped out of the case and kicked the recipient in the balls, got a few people I would love to buy it for if that where the case, that would be one hell of a collectors edition!!

For Cheapy posting this, it does not live up to his name. I hope that GQD does not hold these sales numbers against him when they find out that hardly (if any) promotional codes where used. This is not a game that collectors want, I'd understand if it where a hard to find RPG, but a shitty fighting game? Whats next X-Box's Tao Feng with the koran feature for $59.99? I understand the advertising part of it, but to make a post to promote it thinking that this is what Cheap Ass Gamers want? This is the first questionable thing I have seen him post here since I have been a member, and I do not mind the Soldner-X or promotion of Hells Kithcen because thats for people he knows. Still a fan of the site and he can post stories of his shit on the front page if he wants to, because he is the self proclaimed Internet Space Pimp and last I checked he did own the site as well......

Cheapy did this as a favor jeez does everyone here live alone with no friends and have never done favors?
At least they thought about the site when doing this (good deal or not)

I am not interested at all but heh it's kinda funny to see the discussion and read the posts from people who bought it...so I can stare at them with a cocked eye whenever they post elsewhere

[quote name='SuxoR']I am not interested at all but heh it's kinda funny to see the discussion and read the posts from people who bought it...so I can stare at them with a cocked eye whenever they post elsewhere[/QUOTE]

We're 60 posts in and I don't see a single CAG admitting to buying this from GQD. There seems to be more shame in buying this than there is with Joey Season 1 on DVD.

I have to agree that a Greatest Hits 'promo copy' of MK: DA isn't worth anywhere near $30($40 before coupon) and I gotta wonder who the hell bought 118 copies of this game already.

Although, some will buy ANYTHING that has the words 'collectible' or 'rare' in the item description.

But I do know why so many CAG's dislike GQD. It's because they had copies of squirreled away to pay for their and now their long held copies are worth bupkiss.

I can't say I blame them, but investing in ONE thing is always a bad idea. Diversify, diversify, diversify. :razz:

If I didn't have a non promo copy of this game and wanted to pick it up I would buy this if it was 10-20 bucks shipped. Well I might buy it. However I have a copy of the game from when it first came out and this is not 10-20 bucks shipped. I see no point in even buying this and the MK collector that they are targeting chances are already has this.

[quote name='Kerig']We're 60 posts in and I don't see a single CAG admitting to buying this from GQD. There seems to be more shame in buying this than there is with Joey Season 1 on DVD.[/QUOTE]

The first post said he is buying it -.-

[quote name='sotc1988']I would take the spirit of the thread as harmless ribbing and not as anything too bad. Nice writeup though.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

I was just pointing out earlier that it just seemed... weird?

Here's an interesting topic... The FTC is discussing regulating Blog posts about free stuff sent to the blog owner, like, if someone sends a blog a free TV, and then gets an excellent review of that TV on the blog site.

Would giving away discount codes for a post like this qualify under the FTC as advertisement?

Discuss.

(grabs popcorn)

[quote name='Davestation']I'd only buy one if it was a guarantee that Sonya Blade jumped out of the case and kicked the recipient in the balls, got a few people I would love to buy it for if that where the case, that would be one hell of a collectors edition!![/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow. If GQD weren't seen as a bunch of money-hungry, greedy sphincters before, this one should seal the deal. As if selling those first batches of reprints on eBay and portraying them to be original prints wasn't bad enough... :D

I find it a bit scary business-wise if they did purchase these in bulk with the intent on flipping them for anything more than "lunch money".

I'm available (for a fee!) to run your purchasing decisions through, fellas!

So what distinguishing factors set this edition apart to make it valuable? Well, in addition to its origin of production, limited availability, and the current scarcity in the market, this version of Deadly Alliance still displays the coveted Sony UPC sticker on top. If you've recently made any purchases for the PlayStation, you’ll know that Sony no longer manufactures video games with UPC seals. Also, be mindful that these are not demos or reprints, but the actual full-featured game. From what we can tell, Midway released two editions of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance for Playstation 2. The regular print, which is somewhat available today as a used copy, has the UPC 031719268665. As for this featured edition, the UPC is 031719900329.

That's not all, though! Even if both copies embrace the all-too-familiar greatest hits label, this limited promotional edition has a different art insert where the cover is specially marked, “Promotional Copy, Not For Resale.”

You guys seem to be missing the point. THIS GAME HAS THE COVETED UPC STICKER ON TOP!!!!! Lawlz...

While I don't see the collectibility of this, I don't feel its right for people on here to question Cheapy about it. He provided the info, and its up to the consumer to make the choice. IMHO this has been a great year for the site -- so many upgrades, nice deals, and fun. Thanks

[quote name='CheapyD']If a sponsor does pay for a front page news post, you will see it detailed in the post itself.[/QUOTE]

If you're still reading this thread, CheapyD, this is exactly what you must do in order to avoid backlash like the one you just incurred. Take a lesson from Sony's PR/Marketing division: do not take your public for idiots. Much like the infamous "All I want for Christmas is a PSP" gaffe, this "deal" was quickly called out as an aberration and reeked of collusion from the PR-speak OP.

However, if you make your intentions plain and clear from the get-go, you avoid a lot of the backlash. For the most part, we'll understand the necessary evils that come with running a site with thousands of members and hundreds of thousand of hits per day.

Ok, folks round here gotta chill, its just a deal. Just like there are slow news days that have bears in tutus on their front pages, cheapy has to put something on the front. And if it only appeals to a few who cares? Im certainly not gonna get this, but everyone giving cheapy crap has gotta calm down. If the deal sucks (it does) then just ignore it. I can count how many times Ive seen people getting excited over crap that wasnt worth it that got half the crap this post is getting.

"Bart: Hey, I know it wasn’t great, but what right do you have to complain?
Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What? They’re giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe them.
Comic Book Guy: [hesitantly] ...Worst episode ever."

[quote name='tankass']If the deal sucks (it does) then just ignore it. I can count how many times Ive seen people getting excited over crap that wasnt worth it that got half the crap this post is getting.[/QUOTE]

tankass, I think it's the fact that this was posted on the front page is what's annoying to most people. It's hard to ignore the thing when it's posted right there when you enter CAG...
If I were CheapyD, I'd just remove it from the front page and leave to the thread open in the Game Deals section, where it will likely die due to nobody being interested

Yeah, it's pretty pointless, not like the game is rare, or even so if it have promotional copy on it would make it any more. I wouldn't even bother, especially if they was originally designed to be pre-order freebies. More like a ripoff if you ask me.

Be quite honest....I don't think any of the Mortal Kombat games are rare, they are all common and are normally $5-10 used (besides MK VS DC, even at that, it not even worth the price it is)

[quote name='bsesb2003']While I don't see the collectibility of this, I don't feel its right for people on here to question Cheapy about it. He provided the info, and its up to the consumer to make the choice. IMHO this has been a great year for the site -- so many upgrades, nice deals, and fun. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I am in full-on agreement.

The pick-and-choose righteousness [certainly the exception
and clearly not the rule] is a bummer. We're talking
saving some money or directing folks to potential points of interest,
for the most part on this site. And there are few other sites, if any,
that do it as well and with so little conflict of interest.

How an ad/promotion/pricing/anything the owner feels is worth
a push for whatever reason can be offensive to anyone,
is an unwarranted stretch.

The web is full of a-holes, especially on sites that touches the subject of gaming, so I'm not a bit surprised on the douches that spew their putrid bile on this thread criticizing people that will be delighted to purchase this item.

[quote name='vikingvessel']I am in full-on agreement.

The pick-and-choose righteousness [certainly the exception
and clearly not the rule] is a bummer. We're talking
saving some money or directing folks to potential points of interest,
for the most part on this site. And there are few other sites, if any,
that do it as well and with so little conflict of interest.

How an ad/promotion/pricing/anything the owner feels is worth
a push for whatever reason can be offensive to anyone,
is an unwarranted stretch.[/QUOTE]

I strongly disagree with you. While Cheapy has done an amazing job of building this community and growing it, the site itself is 100% dependent on its users for information sharing. When something isn't a deal, the community immediately responds and explains to the original poster why it isn't a deal, saving unknowing users from wasting their money. Cheapy or anyone else isn't exempt from these rules. People advertise on here and pay commissions because of the large user base and the vibrant community. When someone comes on here and posts something that isn't even close to a deal and then supplements that posting with additional promotion all the while knowing that it really isn't a deal, that raises questions in the minds of people in the community. I'm not upset at Cheapy and his supplemental post has an adequate explanation of why this happened, but I can fully appreciate why people are so upset about this.

[quote name='bojay1997']I strongly disagree with you. While Cheapy has done an amazing job of building this community and growing it, the site itself is 100% dependent on its users for information sharing. When something isn't a deal, the community immediately responds and explains to the original poster why it isn't a deal, saving unknowing users from wasting their money. Cheapy or anyone else isn't exempt from these rules. People advertise on here and pay commissions because of the large user base and the vibrant community. When someone comes on here and posts something that isn't even close to a deal and then supplements that posting with additional promotion all the while knowing that it really isn't a deal, that raises questions in the minds of people in the community. I'm not upset at Cheapy and his supplemental post has an adequate explanation of why this happened, but I can fully appreciate why people are so upset about this.[/QUOTE]

^This. Cheapy is not exempt. He might be the owner, but he's just like us after all. Just a gamer looking for a good deal or two.

[quote name='bojay1997']I strongly disagree with you. While Cheapy has done an amazing job of building this community and growing it, the site itself is 100% dependent on its users for information sharing. When something isn't a deal, the community immediately responds and explains to the original poster why it isn't a deal, saving unknowing users from wasting their money. Cheapy or anyone else isn't exempt from these rules. People advertise on here and pay commissions because of the large user base and the vibrant community. When someone comes on here and posts something that isn't even close to a deal and then supplements that posting with additional promotion all the while knowing that it really isn't a deal, that raises questions in the minds of people in the community. I'm not upset at Cheapy and his supplemental post has an adequate explanation of why this happened, but I can fully appreciate why people are so upset about this.[/QUOTE]

I am with you on some of it, but I cannot exactly get behind your use of "upset" and "so upset".
If it is a matter of semantics, I can somewhat understand. But when folks truly seem "upset" over a
choice without any force, I can't help but wonder if maybe someone was looking for a chance to pounce.
Sure, most folks are looking out for others. While others seem to need somewhere to vent, so why not here [insert thread heading]

The Fatal Frame reprints thread was one where interpretation of what is a deal was vigorously questioned. Are they priced like in-house releases
from the big studios? Certainly not. Can GQD afford to? I truly believe that they cannot. Is there a cheaper factory sealed option? Are there even any
alternatives? By virtue of existence, to me they are without question, a deal. People seemed "so upset" in that thread too, and to me at times it
hovered somewhere between whiny and entitled [I say that lovingly]

Mortal Kombat isn't my area of expertise, so prior availability of this recent offering is out of my reach. If they are readily available exactly as they are being offered at much cheaper prices, then sparing folks from parting with extra bread is a great thing. Comparing current deals to penny sales and former one-off deals does little beyond generating a wish for a situation that will probably never return. Then they can over analyze the offer and miss out and wish they didn't.

Some of the other informed users are "upset" because this is only a slight variant on the commercial release. Are they informing at that point, or looking to impose their will on others? Again, I can see it from your side, and others who share your opinion, though I do not truly believe that all of this is going through most users heads as they tear someone a new one because they double posted or simply were enticed by an offer that they felt was inadequate.

[quote name='vikingvessel']I am with you on some of it, but I cannot exactly get behind your use of "upset" and "so upset".
If it is a matter of semantics, I can somewhat understand. But when folks truly seem "upset" over a
choice without any force, I can't help but wonder if maybe someone was looking for a chance to pounce.
Sure, most folks are looking out for others. While others seem to need somewhere to vent, so why not here [insert thread heading]

The Fatal Frame reprints thread was one where interpretation of what is a deal was vigorously questioned. Are they priced like in-house releases
from the big studios? Certainly not. Can GQD afford to? I truly believe that they cannot. Is there a cheaper factory sealed option? Are there even any
alternatives? By virtue of existence, to me they are without question, a deal. People seemed "so upset" in that thread too, and to me at times it
hovered somewhere between whiny and entitled [I say that lovingly]

Mortal Kombat isn't my area of expertise, so prior availability of this recent offering is out of my reach. If they are readily available exactly as they are being offered at much cheaper prices, then sparing folks from parting with extra bread is a great thing. Comparing current deals to penny sales and former one-off deals does little beyond generating a wish for a situation that will probably never return. Then they can over analyze the offer and miss out and wish they didn't.

Some of the other informed users are "upset" because this is only a slight variant on the commercial release. Are they informing at that point, or looking to impose their will on others? Again, I can see it from your side, and others who share your opinion, though I do not truly believe that all of this is going through most users heads as they tear someone a new one because they double posted or simply were enticed by an offer that they felt was inadequate.[/QUOTE]

I have no issue with the whole reprinting thing, although it was very dishonest of GQ to try and claim that the initial reprints they were selling were in fact warehouse finds. I personally won't buy from GQ after a recent issue I had with them over a return. They have lousy customer service, take forever to respond to e-mails and don't even have a live operator option for their order line. As such, this attempt to misrepresent a worthless item as a collectible simply reinforces the belief I have that they are to be avoided at all costs.

These were originally given out with preorders for Psi-Ops. DA was $19 at the time and Psi-Ops was the regular $40 for a new game, so the original deal was okay. I traded my "special edition" MK-DA into Gamestop ages ago and wouldn't consider regretting it unless it becomes worth at least double the GQD price to someone not employed by GQD. The game was unremarkable then and became pointless once Deception hit. I somehow doubt there are any Deadly Alliance purists out there, in public.

Hey Midway, how's that "NOT FOR RESALE" thing working out?

[quote name='bojay1997']I have no issue with the whole reprinting thing, although it was very dishonest of GQ to try and claim that the initial reprints they were selling were in fact warehouse finds. I personally won't buy from GQ after a recent issue I had with them over a return. They have lousy customer service, take forever to respond to e-mails and don't even have a live operator option for their order line. As such, this attempt to misrepresent a worthless item as a collectible simply reinforces the belief I have that they are to be avoided at all costs.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. There is no defensing some of their earlier actions.
I have been lucky with them so far, with very limited experience.
I didn't know what to think about this new MK deal, as it was
initially foreign to me [I still had to read all about it, as part of the obsession]

Sorry to hear that they did you wrong and also appreciate the back
and forth without getting personal. There is hope for the 'ole internet.

Hey guys lets be easy on Cheapy, without him we wouldn't have a CAG and without CAG we would be shelling out full price for games. Not to be a kiss ass or anything but I thank Cheapy and the community of this site for getting all of the PS3 games I have so far for under $30.00 a game and I just got the system a month ago.

I played around with the cart and it will let you put up to 250 copies in your cart. Not sure if that is what is left or the max you can add by some limit they set. Thats sad if people bought 700+ copies.

Wow... this thread hasn't been going well. I don't think this is a deal in any sense of the word even though I do some collecting.

But come on... there's plenty of crap posted in the deals section these days. There are tons of threads posted for MSRP pre-orders before any price discounts or pre-order bonuses are announced (especially for Atlus and NIS games) by pre-pubescent CAGs who want to be the first to post something.

And if GQD is paying Cheapy a few bucks for the front page, who the fuck cares? It's basically an ad... you don't have to look at it and it's not that hard to scroll past it.

Give it rest.:roll:

On the plus side, I'm hoping some suckers from SD or FW venture over to the front page, see it, think it's rare, and buy a hundred copies and get burned when they try to resell it.

[quote name='mestrocker']does this site sell all there products sealed or what doesnt say[/QUOTE]

All of the games on the site should be new and sealed by the manufacturer. In the past (years ago), I bought a couple of games from them that were not legit. The last three years or so, I haven't had any problem. Although, I try to avoid them because the customer service sucks. Sometimes, GQD posts some decent deals, so I buy a few items from there.

[quote name='opportunity777']All of the games on the site should be new and sealed by the manufacturer. In the past (years ago), I bought a couple of games from them that were not legit. The last three years or so, I haven't had any problem. Although, I try to avoid them because the customer service sucks. Sometimes, GQD posts some decent deals, so I buy a few items from there.[/QUOTE]

There is a chance you will get a non-US version of a PSP game as I did when I purchased Resistance from them a few weeks back. It wouldn't have bothered me, but they clearly advertised that it was the US version and even denied there was any such thing as a Canadian version when I e-mailed them about it despite the fact that it was covered in French and had a different UPC number meaning I couldn't trade or sell it down the road. I returned the game at my cost using their RMA form and two weeks after my confirmation showed they received it, they still haven't processed my refund. Now they claim they can't find the return. I have sent probably a dozen e-mails and I keep getting more and more evasive responses. In short, I would highly recommend that nobody buy anything from them. It's not worth the risk.

[quote name='bojay1997']There is a chance you will get a non-US version of a PSP game as I did when I purchased Resistance from them a few weeks back. It wouldn't have bothered me, but they clearly advertised that it was the US version and even denied there was any such thing as a Canadian version when I e-mailed them about it despite the fact that it was covered in French and had a different UPC number meaning I couldn't trade or sell it down the road. I returned the game at my cost using their RMA form and two weeks after my confirmation showed they received it, they still haven't processed my refund. Now they claim they can't find the return. I have sent probably a dozen e-mails and I keep getting more and more evasive responses. In short, I would highly recommend that nobody buy anything from them. It's not worth the risk.[/QUOTE]

I read about Resistance, but I wasn't involved in that fiasco, so I couldn't directly comment about it. Their customer service is practically non-existent. I'm not surprised you are having trouble getting a refund.

Cheapy is an internet space pimp trying to get paid...what's wrong with that? It's a deal that may not be for a lot of people but I'm sure there's a few out there that really appreciated him posting it.

Things are posted up all over the site that are or aren't deals in my opinion. Me, as the consumer, takes that information and I make a purchase or I don't. I've posted things that I thought were deals and others didn't - that's the way it is and its ok.

[quote name='bojay1997']There is a chance you will get a non-US version of a PSP game as I did when I purchased Resistance from them a few weeks back. It wouldn't have bothered me, but they clearly advertised that it was the US version and even denied there was any such thing as a Canadian version when I e-mailed them about it despite the fact that it was covered in French and had a different UPC number meaning I couldn't trade or sell it down the road. I returned the game at my cost using their RMA form and two weeks after my confirmation showed they received it, they still haven't processed my refund. Now they claim they can't find the return. I have sent probably a dozen e-mails and I keep getting more and more evasive responses. In short, I would highly recommend that nobody buy anything from them. It's not worth the risk.[/QUOTE]

To help you in your case, you have 2 things on your side... which would remove ALL risk.

1) Get signature tracking, if you're going to return something, make a monkey sign it, and it's guarenteed there, and their fault for losing it.

2) ANY problems... Use a credit card and Chargeback. Nothing they can do then.

I've dealt with GQD many times and haven't had any issues, because taking awhile to ship games.

As for this "Deal".... I can't believe how many panties are all twisted up... for the ones commenting about not a deal... so what.. we know... it's cheapy's post for fucks sake.... head pimp hancho... let it go....

bread's done
Back