Limited Edition Pikachu GameBoy Advance SP at TRU now!

mechamappy

CAGiversary!
Just got back from my Toys R Us and saw that they now have a limited edition Pikachu GameBoy SP. It's bright yellow and has Pikachu's face on the cover. It's the same one that was released exclusively to Pokemon Center in Japan last year but the US one has the new bright screen (and much more affordable). It's the same price as the normal GBA SP ($79.99). I remember seeing the limited edition Spongebob GBA SP at my Toys R Us last year and those didn't stay on the shelf for long. I have a feeling that these will go fast. Definitely worth picking up. I'm guessing that this special Pikachu edition is getting released to celebrate the release of the Mystery Dungeon games, Lucario movie and Mew download.

Yeah I saw them too when I went looking around (ended up getting DK: Jungle Beat for $27.88 and a third party Xbox controller for $4.99). They looked pretty cool and even has a little pikachu shape on the bottom right corner next to the A and B buttons.

52_1.jpg

Haha, my little 5 year old nephew bought a spongebob sp from toysrus. I al the other little nephews wanted one too so their mom told me to find her one to buy because they werent at toysrus anymore. so i just told her id buy her one online. soo i check ebay and im amazed. the nephew with the sp just got a ds :) , wonder where the sp's gonna go? i think i will buy one of these pikachu ones for my other nephew.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

It's too cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!! (but it isn't pink.... this is a hard decision.)

Is this TOYS R US or AMAZON exclusive? Make sure you ask at register before you buy if you can still register with Nintendo. I register all my Nintendo products for warranty but I know some of these Toys R US exclusives will already be registered under TOYS R US. That means I can't register with Nintendo so if anything happens to my SP, I won't be covered unless you buy that warranty policy from TOYS R US.

You won't find this one on Amazon.com - not since they split from TRU. I haven't seen the Pikachu SP on toysrus.com for that matter. They just hit stores this week so it might be on their site soon.

I find it hard to believe that Nintendo wouldn't provide support for one of their products just because it's a TRU exclusive.

[quote name='kimmeenjee']Is this TOYS R US or AMAZON exclusive? Make sure you ask at register before you buy if you can still register with Nintendo. I register all my Nintendo products for warranty but I know some of these Toys R US exclusives will already be registered under TOYS R US. That means I can't register with Nintendo so if anything happens to my SP, I won't be covered unless you buy that warranty policy from TOYS R US.[/QUOTE]

All GBAs are still registered with Nintendo. TRU will scan the serial number at the register and then it will register with Nintendo. It doesn't matter if it's a TRU exclusive or not, it's still covered by Nintendo's 1 year warranty. TRU just has a 45 day return policy on it no warranty coverage at all.

[quote name='icruise']I find it hard to believe that Nintendo wouldn't provide support for one of their products just because it's a TRU exclusive.[/quote]

That's not what he said. The way it was worded, Toys R Us registered the systems before he bought them. Thus meaning he can't register them for the warranty cause Toys R Us registered them already.

[quote name='guinaevere']It's too cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!! (but it isn't pink.... this is a hard decision.)[/quote]

It is cuuuuuteeeeee. I would totally get one when the price drops a little more.

[quote name='PRGuitarman']
52_1.jpg
[/quote]

It's.... erm... interesting looking, to say the least...

But I'd only get one for collecting purposes. But I have no cash to blow on rare items at the moment...

What do SPs go for nowadays? $80? I'm not very big on pokemon or pikachu but there's something about that gameboy that just screams BUY ME!

Man, I know I'll regret not buying this thing. I just have absolutely no desire to get ANOTHER SP right now.

i've been looking for a reason to buy a "newer brighter" SP for some time... i don't like the smallening that happens when you run GBA titles on the DS. but 80 bucks? POINTY.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']I got the N64 Pikichu System. LOL the way his cheeks glow when its on.

n64pokemon.jpg
[/quote]

AHHHH!! I want one of those so baaaadddd!!!!

[quote name='super_nerd']It is cuuuuuteeeeee. I would totally get one when the price drops a little more.[/QUOTE]
Awesome. You could get one for me while you're at it. *flutters eyelashes*

[quote name='mrblinG22']AHHHH!! I want one of those so baaaadddd!!!![/QUOTE]
Pokemon, when done right are irresistable.

Even the poor voice-recognition of Hey You! Pikachu was forgivable because he'd be so darn cute doing whatever he wasn't supposed to be doing. Compare that to the not very cute Ryo in Lifeline...

Reaction A: Put it down, Pikachu. ...No, put it down. ...No... awwwwww!!!
Reaction B: Left eye, shoot. Ryo!! I HATE YOU, YOU STUPID WOMAN!!!!

[quote name='mrblinG22']AHHHH!! I want one of those so baaaadddd!!!![/QUOTE]

Stalk ebay, eventually I was able to get a pikachu n64 package for $40 shipped, including some games. They can be had for not that much if you watch for a while.

I am deleriously happy to hear about this. The only reason I didn't import one of these last year is because of the old screen technology -- and I thought I'd never get one. I'll add it to my pokemon gameboy color and pikachu n64...none of the other pokemon systems (GBA gold, the silhouette GBA SPs, the micro) have had exciting-enough designs, but this one is SO worth it!

[quote name='Rozz']Well, this special SP is $20 more than normal ones.[/quote]

No it's not. It's $79.99. There was a Price mistake in the TRU ad.

I haven't heard about it costing more than the other GBA SP systems. The one I bought cost $79.99, same price as the others.

[quote name='geepgal']Stalk ebay, eventually I was able to get a pikachu n64 package for $40 shipped, including some games. . . [/QUOTE]

My local TRU B&M had a stack of them for $50 new about 5 years ago. It came with a Pokemon watch I think, but I'm still not sure why I picked one up. Impulse buy I guess. . .

sorry for the bump, but decided to pick this one up for the brighter screen... however, i had a question for those that also picked one up, is there supposed to be a bright spot on the bottom left of the screen (not on the display but on the yellow case)... this spot can also be seen on the pikachu-face side in a dark room... perhaps this is the way all the brighter sp's were built? thanks!

I noticed the same thing with the light coming through the plastic on the top part too. I thought at first that I might have gotten one with a defect but it appears to be normal. Could be a result of the plastic used for the case.

[quote name='PRGuitarman']
52_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

man, the Pika SP? what's next? Pika DS Lite? :rofl: imagine the DS Lite, all yellow.

[quote name='mechamappy']I noticed the same thing with the light coming through the plastic on the top part too. I thought at first that I might have gotten one with a defect but it appears to be normal. Could be a result of the plastic used for the case.[/QUOTE]

i wonder if this problem occurs with the other brighter screen SPs since they have some kind of metallic paint on those versus cheap yellow plastic...

I don't have a Toys R Us where I live. If someone could pick one up for me, I'll pay you $80, plus shipping, and an extra $10 for your troubles...

I have one of the graphite GBA SPs with the brighter screen and that light does not show up on the upper case like it does with the Pikachue one. Looks like it must be the plastic used for this case but I have to admit that I do like the feel of the Pikachu one compared to the regular color choices.

Hey, I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering, does Toys R Us still sell these?

[quote name='Rozz']Hey, I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering, does Toys R Us still sell these?[/QUOTE]

Almost all stores sold out months ago, hence the reason the Ebay prices are higher than MSRP.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']My local TRU B&M had a stack of them for $50 new about 5 years ago. It came with a Pokemon watch I think, but I'm still not sure why I picked one up. Impulse buy I guess. . .[/QUOTE]

We bought one of these at TRU when it was $50 for my daughter.

that's funny. These would absolutely NOT sell at my TRU until we ran out of all other color GBA's. Once the christmas panic hit, they finally sold.

We seriously had 30 or so on the shelf for months, with only one selling in that time.

bread's done
Back