Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I got a shipping notice for it a few days ago but it hasn't been picked up yet. Guessing I'm not getting a low number since I ordered really late. 

Hey Josh, any progress updates on Salt and Sanctuary? Last article I read (December I think?) They were putting the final touches on the Vita version and were preparing for a Q1 release.
They're still working on it. It wasn't an easy game to bring over.

Awwwwww, Yeah! It's about  fuck ing time!

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/837234049051582464

EDIT: That is 2017 right? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwwwww, Yeah! It's about fuck ing time!

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/837234049051582464

EDIT: That is 2017 right? LOL
237.gif

Also cool to see Full Throttle coming soon as well. I just finished Lara Croft GO yesterday, so I freed up some room to download Day of the Tentacle which I bought ages ago. 

Hey Josh, I know that wall is probably just release dates for upcoming titles, but any chance we see a physical Full Throttle, or any Lucas Art games in general from LRG?

Awwwwww, Yeah! It's about fuck ing time!
I wouldn't get too excited yet. The Dev stated that the first release is PS4 & Steam and that Vita is likely going to miss the launch window of those versions.

Post #13 here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/256460/discussions/0/141136086914761889/

If they have made progress since then and this date is actually not just digital but gives enough time for the final game to be made physical, then that's kind of scary. I'd actually prefer the physical game be delayed a month or two so any bugs can be squashed and the physical version can be the best it can be.

I wouldn't get too excited yet. The Dev stated that the first release is PS4 & Steam and that Vita is likely going to miss the launch window of those versions.

Post #13 here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/256460/discussions/0/141136086914761889/

If they have made progress since then and this date is actually not just digital but gives enough time for the final game to be made physical, then that's kind of scary. I'd actually prefer the physical game be delayed a month or two so any bugs can be squashed and the physical version can be the best it can be.
Damn you, why'd you have to spoil it for me? LOL

Well hopefully this doesn't turn in to another Axiom Verge situation. It was about a 1 year wait on the the Vita version after the PS4, but the wait was well worth it, excellent game. I'm looking forward to the physical release for that one as well.

Damn you, why'd you have to spoil it for me? LOL

Well hopefully this doesn't turn in to another Axiom Verge situation. It was about a 1 year wait on the the Vita version after the PS4, but the wait was well worth it, excellent game. I'm looking forward to the physical release for that one as well.
Hopefully the coding for CSH is better than AV. AV has slowdown points and not very deep into the game at all. Granted, I'm glad to have it out for vita (and PSTV compatible)... but... I wish it had spent just a little more time in the cooker to work out the kinks. Hopefully by the time the physical version is out they will have it patched up.

Also cool to see Full Throttle coming soon as well. I just finished Lara Croft GO yesterday, so I freed up some room to download Day of the Tentacle which I bought ages ago.

Hey Josh, I know that wall is probably just release dates for upcoming titles, but any chance we see a physical Full Throttle, or any Lucas Art games in general from LRG?
I don't see that as happening since Double Fine is publishing/developing those remasters.

Got my copy of The Silver Case. It's.... nicer than I expected. I absolutely love it. Worth the wait. Super excited to have it in my collection. Also I made an unboxing video of it for those of you who haven't gotten it yet and want to see what's in store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Xj6dNq-uk

Take note, it's not just a shitty camera - my skin may actually be greenish!

Seriously tho @Doomstink you guys crushed it with this release. I know some people are salty over the delays, but I love it and I can't wait for more of your future releases. Also I'm excited to meet you guys at PAX East next week :D

edit: I just wrote out a lengthy post about my full thoughts on the set. If anyone cares beyond the video check it out here

Got my copy of The Silver Case. It's.... nicer than I expected. I absolutely love it. Worth the wait. Super excited to have it in my collection. Also I made an unboxing video of it for those of you who haven't gotten it yet and want to see what's in store.

Seriously tho @Doomstink you guys crushed it with this release. I know some people are salty over the delays, but I love it and I can't wait for more of your future releases. Also I'm excited to meet you guys at PAX East next week :D

edit: I just wrote out a lengthy post about my full thoughts on the set. If anyone cares beyond the video check it out here
Your box looks good, so I guess it was packaged well?

Your box looks good, so I guess it was packaged well?
Well enough, I suppose. The box really was in perfect condition, with no dents or marks on it anywhere. It wasn't packed like [insert really fragile thing here] but I wouldn't have expected it to be. It was packed in a white box that was a slight bit bigger than the TSC box and just had some brown filler paper lining TSC box to keep it from moving. Can't complain. Like you said the game box looks great.

Received my The Silver Case CE yesterday, but wish it had shown up in that good of shape. The shipping box had a large gash on one side (with the LRG sticker poking out of it, no less!) and a decent sized rip and a dent on the other. Both of those impacted the game box itself, which looked like someone had given it a good hard kick on each side, since as Miker525 noted it was just in a white box slightly bigger than the TSC box with no additional padding or protection.

The damage to the shipping box surely isn't LRG's fault, but I can't help but think that the game box damage could have been prevented with at least some bubble wrap or air packets or something, like how NISA ships their stuff. I'll be exchanging it, but very unhappy that I'm guessing I'll end up paying for return shipping, plus end up with a higher number in the print run (which doesn't really matter in the long run, but still, this shouldn't have happened to begin with).

The damage to the shipping box surely isn't LRG's fault, but I can't help but think that the game box damage could have been prevented with at least some bubble wrap or air packets or something, like how NISA ships their stuff. I'll be exchanging it, but very unhappy that I'm guessing I'll end up paying for return shipping, plus end up with a higher number in the print run (which doesn't really matter in the long run, but still, this shouldn't have happened to begin with).
Sadly, more often than not, shipping boxes get beat up, it's just the nature of the game, but as you stated, with proper padding on all sides of an item, even when the box is punctured, dented, cut, etc, it still helps to insure the inner boxes safety.

I figured with LRG large qty of orders, we would more than likely see something that isn't great, but not terrible either. Luckily these types of items aren't happening often, but for any severe damages that do happen, hopefully something can be done.

Has everyone received their copies of The Swindle already? Mine still hasn't shipped.
Yeah, got mine awhile ago. If you only ordered that, you might have missed the shipping window before LRG left out of town. I'm sure it will ship ASAP once they return.

I know this is probably pre-mature, but what are the chances of us eventually seeing LRG Switch releases? I know that Nintendo has some print run limits that might preclude this sort of thing, but I don't know if they will change their policies for their new system. With some of the indie support that the Switch is going to be getting, it seems like it might be a pretty good platform for certain LRG releases.

But then again, a lot of this will depend heavily on Switch performance in the market. (something we can't really predict at this point)

I know this is probably pre-mature, but what are the chances of us eventually seeing LRG Switch releases? I know that Nintendo has some print run limits that might preclude this sort of thing, but I don't know if they will change their policies for their new system. With some of the indie support that the Switch is going to be getting, it seems like it might be a pretty good platform for certain LRG releases.

But then again, a lot of this will depend heavily on Switch performance in the market. (something we can't really predict at this point)
LRG has said they are very interested in doing Switch releases. I can't imagine that the Nintendo model of charging $40 for a physical release of indie games like Binding of Isaac and others is sustainable long-term so I suspect LRG may have an easier shot after the initial launch hype for the Switch has passed.

I can't imagine that the Nintendo model of charging $40 for a physical release of indie games like Binding of Isaac and others is sustainable long-term so I suspect LRG may have an easier shot after the initial launch hype for the Switch has passed.
Nintendo aren't actually the ones determining those prices. The developers and publishers are the ones setting the MSRP at that level for physical releases. Pricing isn't really the limiting issue. The most concerning factor is Nintendo's approach to minimum print runs. LRG has typically operated using 3,000-5,000 unit print runs. I believe for the Wii U and 3DS Nintendo refused to print any game for less than 10,000 units per title. That's too much up-front cost for a lot of smaller developers to shoulder, and too much risk of overstocking. It was possible for LRG to have released some Nintendo games, but the cost and risk was too rich for most developer's to brave.

I know this is probably pre-mature, but what are the chances of us eventually seeing LRG Switch releases?
Probably less than 1% chance. LRG won't probably ever produce games in the numbers required for Nintendo to take them seriously. In total so far there are only around 70,000 vita carts from B&C through Runner 2. I think Binding of Issac alone on the Switch will outsell the entire run of everything LRG has made for Vita.

EDIT:

And there's the flip flop side too... LRG has to make enough on the margins for it to be worth doing. Even at 10K units, if the production cost breaks don't add up very well, it may not be worth it. And 10K units will only fly off the shelves if the game is actually wanted. The cost break where LRG sees profits like what PS4 & Vita make would probably be much higher than 10K units. Maybe 100K units. Maybe 50K units. Whatever it is, the LRG formula for quick sells would fail. They would have to move to regular retail distribution at that point and even then... they would need to actually have great quality games that are actually wanted by the consumer as the resellers won't be adding fuel to the rush to clear inventory.

​It's not really a matter of comparative profits either. None of the developers who print their games through LRG are in it purely for the money. Yes, they want to come out ahead, but they aren't making fat stacks of cash off of LRG either. The minimum print run requirement is the main thing preventing Nintendo games being added to the LRG roster. If Nintendo was willing to bend on that policy, the likelihood of these releases would go up.

Another factor would be the success of the Switch. With a large enough install base for the Switch, the number of copies that LRG could expect to sell in a single run would also increase. Of course, this would take a year or two at least, and even then having a larger install base would not necessarily translate into awareness for LRG. Still, a larger number of Switch users would make the situation more viable. Developers would feel more bold in meeting Nitnendo's print-run limit if they were fairly certain of selling out quickly.

​It's not really a matter of comparative profits either. None of the developers who print their games through LRG are in it purely for the money. Yes, they want to come out ahead, but they aren't making fat stacks of cash off of LRG either. The minimum print run requirement is the main thing preventing Nintendo games being added to the LRG roster. If Nintendo was willing to bend on that policy, the likelihood of these releases would go up.
They are all in it for the money. That quick cash infusion for many is helping keep the lights on and fund their next projects. Granted it's not the ONLY reason, but if it weren't very profitable they wouldn't do it. I mean, to a big company ~$75,000 for a 5K production run wouldn't be a big deal but to an indie... that is a massive infusion.

Nintendo aren't actually the ones determining those prices. The developers and publishers are the ones setting the MSRP at that level for physical releases. Pricing isn't really the limiting issue. The most concerning factor is Nintendo's approach to minimum print runs. LRG has typically operated using 3,000-5,000 unit print runs. I believe for the Wii U and 3DS Nintendo refused to print any game for less than 10,000 units per title. That's too much up-front cost for a lot of smaller developers to shoulder, and too much risk of overstocking. It was possible for LRG to have released some Nintendo games, but the cost and risk was too rich for most developer's to brave.
Actually, LRG has refuted this to some extent. The issue with them not becoming a WiiU publisher was that Nintendo wasn't allowing new publishers to sign up in the last year or so. Nintendo has also reduced print run minimums and has worked with some small developers and publishers previously to do runs of a size that LRG could handle. As for the MSRP issue, it's true that ultimately the publishers decide, but my point was that most consumers are not going to pay $40 for a physical copy of a game they can buy on Steam for a few dollars. Yes, collectors will and some physical media diehards, but that's not the majority of the audience, especially for indie games. That's why I think LRG could have a viable business with the Switch once the initial hype cools and Nintendo and publishers realize there just isn't a substantial physical retail market for most indie games.

That is encouraging to hear, although I don't necessarily agree on there not being a substantial physical retail market for indie games on the Switch. I think physical indie games will do rather well on the Switch. The portable nature of the system makes it a better fit for that style of game. It would not suprirse me if quite a few indie games got wide physical releases on the Switch through more conventional avenues.

Personally, I'm very much looking forward to the release of Blaster Master Zero, the digital version of which is launching for $10.

I just got my copy of The Silver Case for PC and was wondering if one of the seals stickers were supposed to cut open already I just got it right now 

I just got my copy of The Silver Case for PC and was wondering if one of the seals stickers were supposed to cut open already I just got it right now
That's not how it should be, it may have popped in transit as the wafer seals were perforated. Feel free to open a support ticket regarding it. Note that the game and soundtrack inside are y-fold sealed.

Josh I tweeted this but I'll type it here also. I have a couple of critiques on this release:

The circle sticker is pretty bad It peals off the cardboard art. Is there any alternative?

Preferably could we get a bit more internal protection kind of how NISA does it? I have never had any issues with them.

The internal box could be fitted a little more to the actual items instead of left being to rattle around in the box where the small fragile papers can get bent.

Hopefully by Skullgirls and Sundred (which I have also put my hard earned money) this can be worked out.

bread's done
Back