Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Damn, these go quickly. Lucky I checked IG right at 959 since I was working last night and forgot as I'm about to go to bed.

So is WonderBoy Collectors going to be sold separately as a standalone or will it just be the CE? I REALLY want it but with my work schedule I may not get lucky like today again

In for one copy of Jotun. Looks like I will be getting it in a bubble mailer this time since I only ordered one. It will be interesting to see if it comes as a floater since I haven't gotten a loose disc on a PS4 game from them since LRG started using boxes for multiple game (with one PS4) orders.
You can pay the $2 for them to ship it in a box. I wish every retailer offered that option.

Well that was a fairly quick sellout considering the total stock numbers.  I'm sure the evening batch will last longer than 6 minutes though.

Yeah I didn't mind $5.50 shipping when it was priority, now that it's Innovations I kinda hate paying that.

But, as I've said before...where else am I gonna buy it? 

Damn, these go quickly. Lucky I checked IG right at 959 since I was working last night and forgot as I'm about to go to bed.

So is WonderBoy Collectors going to be sold separately as a standalone or will it just be the CE? I REALLY want it but with my work schedule I may not get lucky like today again
They are doing both a CE and a standard edition of Wonderboy.

Got my order in for a copy of Jotun.

Aaaaand... it's gone. That one went pretty quick. Fairly high profile, so I suppose it isn't that surprising.

For the record, the Wii is a much-maligned and underrated system, much like the GameCube before it. If you don't have either a Wii or a Wii U, I strongly recommend picking one of them up used. The Wii in particular is hitting the sweet-spot where the hardware only costs around $50. In another decade the nostalgia will start kicking in, and the prices will begin to go back up. We're already seeing this with some of the more obscure games on the system. I would not recommend going for a 100% collection, but I don't recommend or strive for that on any system. That's a level of obsession that I can do without.

Wii was alright had Xenoblade,the last story,first party games and a few other small ok titles.

Wiiu was a disaster and the only time I thought of giving up on old ninty.

Got my order in for a copy of Jotun.

Aaaaand... it's gone. That one went pretty quick. Fairly high profile, so I suppose it isn't that surprising.

For the record, the Wii is a much-maligned and underrated system, much like the GameCube before it. If you don't have either a Wii or a Wii U, I strongly recommend picking one of them up used. The Wii in particular is hitting the sweet-spot where the hardware only costs around $50. In another decade the nostalgia will start kicking in, and the prices will begin to go back up. We're already seeing this with some of the more obscure games on the system. I would not recommend going for a 100% collection, but I don't recommend or strive for that on any system. That's a level of obsession that I can do without.
Agree. I was disappointed in the Wii at first after I got over the initial waggle excitement. With time though it became a system that had a pretty incredible library from not only Nintendo, but also some great third parties. I actually like the fact that there is a lot of stuff that people disregarded as shovelware as it reminded me of the old days when third parties were free to release whatever they thought they could sell. I have a near complete Wii collection that I bought as stores were starting to liquidate the games and it's actually one of my favorite systems to collect for in the modern era given the large library.

Yeah, I think only a small handful will make it to eBay. The only other way to get it will be to receive it randomly instead of the standard cover (which we'll do for about 30 copies on each platform). It wouldn't be fair to Kickstarter backers who put in money upfront to sell the cover another way.
this bothers me and i know it shouldnt. I am going to sound whiny i know.

it feels like some lucky few will get a random reward for not backing the game that everyone else that gets it will. KS backers put up money for the game to be made, and it got funded. backers get a variant cover in appreciation for their support. But 60 or so random folks will get that privledge without taking the risk. And if i want a copy of the LRG cover as well, which i am considering because both are awesome, i have to double dip and buy a second copy to get it beyond my backer copy.

It just feels wrong. I appreciate the partnership to make this game physical, but its putting a sour taste in my mouth for supporting any future KS+LRG projects.

it feels like some lucky few will get a random reward for not backing the game that everyone else that gets it will. KS backers put up money for the game to be made, and it got funded. backers get a variant cover in appreciation for their support. But 60 or so random folks will get that privledge without taking the risk. And if i want a copy of the LRG cover as well, which i am considering because both are awesome, i have to double dip and buy a second copy to get it beyond my backer copy.

It just feels wrong. I appreciate the partnership to make this game physical, but its putting a sour taste in my mouth for supporting any future KS+LRG projects.
The other side of that coin is that these kickstarters don't get that much press usually, so it's very easy to miss one that you would have backed. That's certainly what happened with me on this one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The other side of that coin is that these kickstarters don't get the much press usually, so it's very easy to miss one they you would have backed. That's certainly what happened with me on this one.

And to that end, thats the boat i am in about whats it called, muv-luv or moe chornicle or something. I missed out and didnt know it was a thing until it ended. Ill have to resort to ebay or soemthing else to get it i assume. But if i do, i also dont expect to get any special perks the backers got for backing it.

I thought the Wii was one of the worst consoles ever released. The hardware itself was poorly designed, underpowered, and feature-lacking, well below the other consoles in its generation (much like the Wii U after it). The hook that Nintendo tried to throw in was the awful waggle gimmick, which dumbed down the controls and ruined many games. Tons of awful shovelware flooded the system, and after the initial novelty of the waggle gimmick wore off, the system just died out quickly, years before the other consoles of its generation. I doubt that the Wii and its games will ever be considered collectible, certainly not in the same way that the NES and SNES are now.

The Wii U had many of the same problems, except it ended up with a much smaller library due to its poor specs (couldn't handle 3rd party games well even from the previous generation, never mind the one it occupied). The gamepad was an expensive gimmick that caused the base console specs and features to be drastically curtailed, and it failed to add anything useful to actual gameplay.

In the end, neither of these systems will be viewed well in the history of gaming.

Wii U will be popular just because it has a easily obtainable < 150 or so physical releases making it low hanging fruit for new collectors who will think they can knock out a full set easily. Systems perceived as flops with small libraries always end up collectible.

Can see already some more obscure shitty games are already passing $100 before the system was even officially pulled off shelves.

I get what you're saying and I do agree but I'm going to guess there weren't exactly 400/700 backed. So they probably had to round to the nearest hundred to make sure they have enough.

What are they supposed to do with the few extras? Sell for charity? Through into a fire?

I agree here-- I know extra copies need to be made as for replacements/damage but it also irks me that I put fronted my money and took a risk (a HUGE one, since we're seeing more and more KS failing to deliver) for something that was supposed to be exclusive. But knowing it could potentially be a tossup prize for someone (worse yet, a scalper/flipper) just made me feel like I was playing the lottery where someone else wins.

EDIT* I think they should just eBay these extra copies for charity- as in actual auctions. If someone wants it, they can pay the market price for it and the proceeds (selling price less LRG's costs) can go to some good cause.

They should be tickets or something based on loyalty. Some way to weed out people who might have supported the KS if they knew about it.

I don't care about honest collectors getting a freebie but just imagine the delight of a reseller (eg that Chris 300zx character that everyone is obsessed with) opening their 2+ boxes and possibly getting the KS one. Just the thought is vomit inducing.

Impossible odds but it's often the worst people with the best luck.

In the end, neither of these systems will be viewed well in the history of gaming.
Your entire post evidences a fundamental lack of understanding regarding the video game industry, its history, and how it functions.

The Wii is going to be quite collectible, but it will take time for it to reach that state. (just as it did with the NES, SNES, and basically every other system before it) Anyone with a longer perspective can tell you how these trends work, and how they will likely play out with the Wii. While hard-core game enthusiasts scoffed at the Wii in its own time, millions of younger and casual fans flocked to it in droves. In another decade and change, the nostalgia factor will start to kick in, and enthusiasm for Wii games will start to rise.

The hardware for the Wii will never reach the level of the SNES, but it will likely be comparable to the NES. For the hardware its usually just a matter of supply, and there are a lot of Wiis on the market. Nintendo hardware is notoriously durable. (and not poorly designed as some claim) The Wii's hardware platform is similarly robust. It won't be as long-lasting as the GameCube. (a veritable tank) But the average Wii will likely hold up for decades, perhaps longer. So once the Wii starts becoming more collectible, the hardware itself will be easy and relatively cheap to acquire. You'll never see old Wiis going for more than $100. They will probably top out around the $70 mark.

The games are another matter. While there's plenty of shovelware for the system, there are also a lot of instances of critical darlings that got smaller print runs. Often this was because some of these more gamer-centric titles didn't target the casual demographic that the Wii was known for. Many of those titles are already seeing price hikes, especially the third-party ones that are not likely to get best-of reprints.

The Wii U had issues, but none of those were due to its specs. And the Wii U is going to easily be twice as collectible as the Wii. It's short lifespan and diminutive numbers are going to make it one of the hottest items in the collectible community. It's not going to see this enthusiasm bloom for another fifteen years. But its going to happen. In twenty years, the Wii U hardware will be selling for more than its current retail price. Guaranteed. It's a niche platform from a storied developer, with unique experiences and a bizarre hardware setup that is not easy to emulate. Guaranteed collectible monster. Low supply on the hardware and games is going to drive the collectible prices through the roof. If you're a game collector, you need to jump on the Wii U RIGHT NOW.

The other side of that coin is that these kickstarters don't get that much press usually, so it's very easy to miss one that you would have backed. That's certainly what happened with me on this one.

I got in on the KS, and I'll buy a LRG copy as well, and I personally don't care that they are offering a rather minuscule qty of the variants. It's still a lottery win for anyone who gets one.

The Wii has a few of my all time favorite "N" titles, as in Galaxy 1 & 2(and a few others), but overall those damn motion controls all but ruin the system and it's place in history for me personally. I still have mine, and it's modded, so I'll probably never get rid of it, but it's for sure not a system I would ever consider collecting for.

Even playing games on the Wii U now, and they force me to do some form of motion controls(Star Fox Zero, some shrines in Zelda), I want to kick someone in the balls, as I just really hate them that much. It was a novel idea, but the execution is just terrible more often than not, and the "fad" of it all is pretty much gone from gaming and won't really be remembered as anything "great". "N" has introduced many features over the years that have become standards, and I'm very happy to see the motion controls go the way of the dodo.

I have felt this exact same rage... multiple times.
For a company that has always prided themselves on innovation and games being released only when working as they should, motion controls for most games just suck! Since the Wii came along, I think that mind set went right out the window, as I always thought "N" where masters of proper gaming controls and controllers, and since motion has been introduced, I have lost much respect for this company.

I don't even care if they are offered, but give options to not use them. The same way you offer a 2DS for those that don't want or need 3D. I swear, "N" is so fuck ing beyond clueless at times, and motion controls are a HUGE fail in my book.

The Wii has some good games, and I don't usually say this but I really can't stand the standard def pixelated graphics of the Wii most of the time.   It just looks so old.   I'm not a graphical snob either.  I think the Wii U game resolutions look great and we've even gotten past the level of diminishing returns with current graphics performance to the point where anything beyond PS3 levels doesn't really matter.  But the Wii games just look so poor...  The great RPGs like Xenoblade, The Last Story, etc don't entice me to go back to the platform.  Metroid Prime trilogy is the only thing I have gone back to play in recent years.

I sincerely hope they do HD re-releases for Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.  Same with all the Operation Rainfall games but that's not going to happen.  The graphical performance really takes away from the experience.  The Wii controllers can be really frustrating at times too.

Taking the extended long-term view I think that Wii U consoles will become quite expensive down the line.   There weren't a ton of systems made and there won't be brand-new Gamepad replacements easily available.  It already had a relatively high entry price that never went below $250 retail.  We've already seen it approach levels of $300+ right when the Ebay direct from Nintendo refurbished units dried up. 

I'm fairly certain they'll be $400+ six years from now.  And perhaps that's still not enough of a price increase to justify buying a secondary backup system.  But I'd like to get a second console on the cheap for future protection. 

Your entire post evidences a fundamental lack of understanding regarding the video game industry, its history, and how it functions.

The Wii U had issues, but none of those were due to its specs.
Seriously? It seems like you are the one with a "fundamental lack of understanding", when you make this statement about the specs not being an issue for the Wii U. The poor specs were the single most important reason that the Wii U didn't receive 3rd party support, and the severe lack of those games was a major reason for the system's failure. How you can rule that out is just baffling. The Wii U couldn't even match the performance of ports from the generation before it (PS3 and XB1), many ports ran worse on it than those other, much older systems. Let's not pretend that the poor specs had no impact on the failure of the Wii U, because they certainly were a huge factor in its demise.

soooooo a game was released today, any comments on how fast it did/didn't sell out?

I was happy I got my game no problems :)

and of course chrisz300zx is already selling his multiple copies up on ebay 

Seriously? It seems like you are the one with a "fundamental lack of understanding", when you make this statement about the specs not being an issue for the Wii U. The poor specs were the single most important reason that the Wii U didn't receive 3rd party support, and the severe lack of those games was a major reason for the system's failure. How you can rule that out is just baffling. The Wii U couldn't even match the performance of ports from the generation before it (PS3 and XB1), many ports ran worse on it than those other, much older systems. Let's not pretend that the poor specs had no impact on the failure of the Wii U, because they certainly were a huge factor in its demise.
So, out of all of the dozens of valid points he made, that's the one you've chosen to argue about? I mean he literally took you apart in a detailed point by point precision strike but now all you want to argue about is the WiiU being underpowered? This is a pretty poor showing even for you.

So, out of all of the dozens of valid points he made, that's the one you've chosen to argue about? I mean he literally took you apart in a detailed point by point precision strike but now all you want to argue about is the WiiU being underpowered? This is a pretty poor showing even for you.
"Dozens of valid points"? Funny I don't see anything like that in his post, more like a stubborn refusal to admit that the Wii U's poor specs and missing features directly led to its failure. Which they did, causing very few 3rd party developers to bother with the system.

I know you hate it when people express other opinions to your own Almighty Truth, but the reality for the Wii U is very easy to understand by the vast majority of gamers, who simply skipped it after seeing how little it offered. The system was built entirely around an expensive gimmick, one that failed to deliver solid gaming experiences, and it's now just a footnote in the history of gaming. No matter how much you hate to hear that, it's the truth. Learn to accept that your own opinion is not always representative of the larger gaming community, and you'll be less upset when you read opinions that don't match with your own.

LRG is one thing.  It's cool and manageable to have a complete set.  But that too will change over time.  I think going for complete collections of an entire console library is gauche and kinda lame.   It really dumbs down the quality of your collection when you're buying all those shovelware games no one cares about.   They take up a ton of space too. 

There's a reason why the biggest enthusiasts end up selling their beloved complete system collections frequently.  Those complete collections are also never as impressive as finely honed multiplatform collections comprised of gems. 

actually the install base sales numbers were the reason the Wii U didn't get any third party support...
At launch, the Wii U had more games available and 3rd party support than probably any system "N" has ever launched. The well went dry, when no one bought those games, because they where poor ports and much cheaper by that time on the PS3/360.

I won't debate why the Wii U failed, as I'm sure we all believe what we want to, but saying the Wii U didn't have support, is not true at all. It went away due to it's rather poor showing, but it was there at launch in spades.

actually the install base sales numbers were the reason the Wii U didn't get any third party support...
Thank you. I was hesitating in replying to chimpmeister's "challenge" as it was so incredibly weak and poorly phrased. Seriously, if you're going to try to make a point, you need to represent. Don't bring that weak-sauce in here.

Having a spec-light system is an advantage in the video game industry, and always has been. The vast majority of consoles have succeeded due to their lesser specs, not failed. And we've seen this pattern repeated time and time again. Lower specs do not cause a console to fail, frequently the opposite is true. NES, PS1, PS2, DS, Wii, the history of video games is littered with examples of technically inferior platforms managing to outsell and out support technically superior platforms. And frequently these lesser systems get better 3rd party support. And it's never because of the specs, its because of the install base. And install base is far more than just what you've got under the hood.

The Wii has some great games, and I don't regret buying mine on day one.

Now, Jotun: Valhalla Edition just went free for the next couple of days on GOG. I was one the fence about Jotun for the second batch, but not anymore. No doubt the second batch will sell out too, but poor timing to give the game away for free. I'd be a little miffed if I were LRG. Assuming they didn't know.

"Dozens of valid points"? Funny I don't see anything like that in his post, more like a stubborn refusal to admit that the Wii U's poor specs and missing features directly led to its failure. Which they did, causing very few 3rd party developers to bother with the system.

I know you hate it when people express other opinions to your own Almighty Truth, but the reality for the Wii U is very easy to understand by the vast majority of gamers, who simply skipped it after seeing how little it offered. The system was built entirely around an expensive gimmick, one that failed to deliver solid gaming experiences, and it's now just a footnote in the history of gaming. No matter how much you hate to hear that, it's the truth. Learn to accept that your own opinion is not always representative of the larger gaming community, and you'll be less upset when you read opinions that don't match with your own.
Again, why don't you go back and read your poorly drafted post and then compare it to his response. You lumped the Wii and WiiU together as not worthy of collecting or owning and he took apart your argument methodically. You're right, these are all opinions, but at least the rest of us have the ability to support ours with compelling arguments and facts. You just seem to spew the same weak lines that are undoubtedly rooted in some past issue you had with a Nintendo product. Let's be honest here, if you don't own a WiiU or Switch, you are already missing out on one of the greatest titles of this generation in Breath of the Wild. Bitch all you want about Nintendo, but that is a true masterpiece of a game and it's an exclusive.

ULEegzZ.gif

At launch, the Wii U had more games available and 3rd party support than probably any system "N" has ever launched. The well went dry, when no one bought those games, because they where poor ports and much cheaper by that time on the PS3/360.

I won't debate why the Wii U failed, as I'm sure we all believe what we want to, but saying the Wii U didn't have support, is not true at all. It went away due to it's rather poor showing, but it was there at launch in spades.
If contractually obligated and hastily ported launch games are what you call "3rd party support" then ok. The Wii U didn't continue to get support from other developers and publishers because the system sold poorly.

The Wii has some great games, and I don't regret buying mine on day one.

Now, Jotun: Valhalla Edition just went free for the next couple of days on GOG. I was one the fence about Jotun for the second batch, but not anymore. No doubt the second batch will sell out too, but poor timing to give the game away for free. I'd be a little miffed if I were LRG. Assuming they didn't know.
I just saw that to, and I swear, every time LRG releases these titles, I see the steam versions on sale. Do the publishers not look at the release schedule, or do they just not care? It seems to be poor planning each and every time, but I would buy the releases anyway, as I'm about the physical. But for someone who doesn't care as much, it seems like a quick way to loose potential sales.

finely honed multiplatform collections comprised of gems.
I'd like to believe I have centered my 20+ year collection around this philosophy, for the most part. I own about 2500 games across over 30 years and 20 systems but with the exception of a couple (NES, PS3, PS4) I own under 100 on each, as I try to avoid games I'll never play or games that suck in favor of good games, whether they are worth money or not. My SNES collection is only about 40 games, for instance, and I don't own Aero Fighters or anything mega valuable, but the 40 or so I own are all worth remembering, from cheap fun games that are only worth 10 bucks now (Super R-Type) all the way up to Castlevania Dracula X, which I believe is my priciest SNES game.

On the Jotun issue, as it is related to the collecting discussion we've been having...

Digital releases and promotions frequently increase demand for physical verisons. Knowledge and exposure about a particular game frequently effects the demand for physical copies of that game. Whenever a game is made avaialable on PSN or XBox Live, the physical versions usually jump in price, not decrease.

Having a sale or even a free digital copy of Jotun available close to the LRG sale is actually a benefit, not a drawback. The increased awareness and exposure from such a promotion is going to spike demand for the physical copies. Given that LRG's business model is designed around short-term sales, this should work out just fine. I would expect the afternoon copies of Jotun to go more quickly than the afternoon copies usually do.

Again, why don't you go back and read your poorly drafted post and then compare it to his response. You lumped the Wii and WiiU together as not worthy of collecting or owning and he took apart your argument methodically. You're right, these are all opinions, but at least the rest of us have the ability to support ours with compelling arguments and facts. You just seem to spew the same weak lines that are undoubtedly rooted in some past issue you had with a Nintendo product. Let's be honest here, if you don't own a WiiU or Switch, you are already missing out on one of the greatest titles of this generation in Breath of the Wild. Bitch all you want about Nintendo, but that is a true masterpiece of a game and it's an exclusive.
The only "poorly drafted" posts are your own, where time and again you attack people from having different opinions from your own. I understand that you have a large collection of Wii (and probably Wii U) games, but you need to step back and not feel personally insulted when people express opinions that are different from your own. The gaming community has spoken with respect to the Wii U, and it was judged a failure and is now dead in terms of future games (and ultimately had a small overall library in the end). Time to move on.

As for the Wii, it's one of the more embarrassing systems ever released, and largely forgotten by all but the most diehard Nintendo fans, thankfully.

I believe the devs aren't worried about the physical copy selling since every LRG title has sold out.

It actually makes sense holding a digital discount from a company perspective especially depending on how much LRG takes compared to the digital platform.

Rail-shooters. In my mind, they are the single greatest reason to continue owning and playing the Wii. I use my Wii as basically a "gun game" machine. I think the motion tech does great for shooters, and since I'm not a fan of the nunchuck, I tend to really enjoy any game that guides you along and allows you to keep both hands on the weapon (as it should be). The aforementioned Ghost Squad is great, but there's also House of the dead overkill, Resident Evil Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, Attack of the Movies, NY and LA Guns, and several others that are great arcade style fun, especially when played co-op. I own about 100 Wii games, but if I had to dump my entire collection, I'd keep the rail shooters longer than the Marios and Zeldas.
But it's so slow at aiming. I bought a Move because I wanted rail shooters too, like Time Crisis and Gal*Gun. But then they kinda stopped supporting it.

If contractual agreement launch games are what you call "3rd party support" then ok. The Wii U didn't continue to get support from other developers and publishers because the system sold poorly.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_%28US%29

This was more 3rd party support, and games at launch than any "N" system in history. Like I've said before, people see what they want to see.

If all these games sold well, support would have stayed, they didn't, so 3rd parties left. It's the chicken or the egg argument. 3rd party support doesn't happen unless the user base is there, the user base isn't there without the proper games. But to say they had all those 3rd party titles at launch, and then went belly up, speaks to the bigger issues they had. The support dried up, but it was there when the system launched, "N" just didn't make a system that could benefit long term 3rd party support.

The Wii U had more support then the PS3/360 launches as well, no one bought the games, as they where overpriced, and the system was under powered. You could buy a PS3/360 cheap at the time, and both systems had better versions of what was being offered on the Wii U at half of what the Wii U games cost. It didn't get better support, because it was a poor value along side it's competition.

But yeah, this is the truth as I see it to be, and I'm often wrong in regards to most around here, so I'll leave my 2 cents here and move on.

bread's done
Back