Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Decisions decisions... What is the likelihood Best Buy gets steelbooks for NMH 1 and 2?
As noted, zero. But I have a question... what is the itch for steelbooks? Is it that you started collecting them and now can't help but want them? Do you have a nice curio or shelf at home and you display them all with picture frame stands? Is it just these two games are super special to you? I'm really curious. I have several games that came with steel cases and while some of them have nice art and are for games I love... I have no real use for them and they just take up shelf space (not display shelf space, just spine-art normal shelving of media).

As noted, zero. But I have a question... what is the itch for steelbooks? Is it that you started collecting them and now can't help but want them? Do you have a nice curio or shelf at home and you display them all with picture frame stands? Is it just these two games are super special to you? I'm really curious. I have several games that came with steel cases and while some of them have nice art and are for games I love... I have no real use for them and they just take up shelf space (not display shelf space, just spine-art normal shelving of media).
I know the question was directed towards me, but personally, if there's an edition that comes with a steelbook, either day one (like the Yakuza games) or for $10 more, I'll get the steelbook version. They just look nicer compared to standard cases. This is true for me going all the way back to 'Halo 2' and one of the 'Splinter Cell' games on the original Xbox.

I'm not too sold on steelbooks for LRG games, unless it's part of a large edition (which is why it pisses me off so much they won't replace the damage 'Streets of Rage 4' steelbook I received), but those editions typically come with other items I want, and I already have a major interest in the game itself. I didn't bother with any of the 'Shantae; steelbooks for instance.

I like it best when Steelbooks are retail releases with the clear plastic slipcover. It help give them a spine that doesn't stick out from the rest of your collection. 

My biggest gripe on Switch Steelbooks is that a lot of them are missing titles on the spines. I think LRG has been pretty good about putting titles on the spines though.

I wouldn't say any LRG games skyrocket on Ebay these days. Beyond Jak 1 and some early ones.
LRG has put out so much nonsense (honestly seems like they just look at potential cover art as their decision maker for pursuing a title) that it's become clear what will be worth something from LRG and won't. Popular, good titles (Shantae) are worth the most. Popular, mediocre titles (Night Trap) are a step down and then there's really everything else. If you want to play the LRG game, you want a case of NHM and Curse of the Moon 2, not so much Hero Must Die Again. Scott Pilgrim is going to be worth more in the long run than the bulk of the LRG library, regardless of the metric ton of copies, because it is good and fun.

I feel like i suffer from battered wife syndrome when buying from LRG. It's nearing the end of Q1 and my shantae games haven't shipped but I just went ahead and bought bloodstained curse of the moon 2 and both no more heroes games. (based stimmi)

Last edited by a moderator:
We should just pretend LRG are a Kickstarter company at this point. Kickstarter projects give rough estimates, are usually months or years late, and then one day they are like oh yeah it's shipping now, and by then you either care some or forgot about it. I usually only back visual novels that need help or board game Kickstarters I know I can wait for. When stuff finally comes in I'm like alright and decide to sell it or play it then. 

I'm the same as you. I would not pay more for steelbooks - movies or games. I agree some of them look nice, but ultimately, I don't see the value in the premium since, in the end, what matters to me most is that I have the content on-disc, and that is the same regardless whether I get it in plastic or steelbook case.

LRG has put out so much nonsense (honestly seems like they just look at potential cover art as their decision maker for pursuing a title) that it's become clear what will be worth something from LRG and won't. Popular, good titles (Shantae) are worth the most. Popular, mediocre titles (Night Trap) are a step down and then there's really everything else. If you want to play the LRG game, you want a case of NHM and Curse of the Moon 2, not so much Hero Must Die Again. Scott Pilgrim is going to be worth more in the long run than the bulk of the LRG library, regardless of the metric ton of copies, because it is good and fun.
And of course, whether any game stays "valuable" remains speculative because any LRG title can be reprinted by another publisher. Sure, it may not be the LRG "version," but I wonder whether that would matter with games. It's not as if it's a movie where one bluray release to another may differ in visual quality and special features. This would be the exact same game just published at two different times with some different outside art.

Anyways, the whole collecting for the sake of collecting is an approach I don't understand. I buy movies and games, but collecting is just a collateral consequence. I buy games to unseal and play, and movies that I want to see and enjoy. The fact that some of these items may become "valuable" doesn't really factor into the equation.

What annoys me most nowadays is that due to SO many speculators, flippers, and others who just buy stuff (i.e. have zero interest in the game, movie, etc.) to "make money," I wind up finding items that should be in sound supply just disappear from storefronts and wind up in droves on eBay and Amazon. I'm not saying folks don't have the right to do this, but it's just annoying for those who simply want a game, movie, or whatever else it may be, to just consume and enjoy it.

I can't think of another industry where FOMO is as frequently and actively weaponized against consumers - whether by the game-makers themselves or speculators - as it is in this one.

One could say it's gotten out of hand, but I'm not sure there is any way to stop it. And frankly, I'd be more concerned if any regulatory body tried to do so with something like this. It's a first-world problem.

I'm fine with all the KOF releases, but I can see why people would be upset especially after they bought KOF 97 and KOF 98 UM. Just know that these are different versions of previous releases.

What annoys me most nowadays is that due to SO many speculators, flippers, and others who just buy stuff (i.e. have zero interest in the game, movie, etc.) to "make money," I wind up finding items that should be in sound supply just disappear from storefronts and wind up in droves on eBay and Amazon. I'm not saying folks don't have the right to do this, but it's just annoying for those who simply want a game, movie, or whatever else it may be, to just consume and enjoy it.
Bit of an off-topic tangent, but allow me to be optimistic for a second to that particular part of your post.

A supermajority of all this speculation and side-hustle has come from Covid forcing a lot of people indoors. Back during the first lockdowns people started cleaning out their attics, etc and began selling off old games, pokemon/baseball cards, Funko Pops, etc. and found they were making some GOOD money off of these items. Then you have streamers like Jake Paul (Or Logan i forget) paying $500,000+ for Booster boxes to open on stream further fueling the get-rich-quick aspect of these hobbies. And on top of that you have tons of youtube channels (Angry Video Game Nerd, Heavy Metal Jesus, etc.) dedicated to the "Play this old hidden gem" style of video.

So now you have a LARGE number of people working from home (easy access to ebay and other storefronts) and NOT going out to bars/clubs/restaurants, or even on vacations like they used to and they have quite a bit of extra income as a result. Allowing them to spend extra on whatever there FOTM collectable might be. The extra at-home time is giving them ample time to devour all this news/content and try to one-up consumers and sellers. (VERY much like everyone going into the stock market right now)

My optimism comes from the fact that once people get vaccinated and go out more (Summer of this year maybe?), we will begin to see prices dip a bit. Will we see Path of Radiance drop down to $150 (December 2019 average) or less? Probably not, but this current hobby-market is 100% a bubble that is going to burst once more people start going out on weekends or vacationing more and have less disposable income to spend.

It really sucks right now, and is going to surge even more due to the new round of US Stimulus checks going out, but I am optimistic it wont be THIS crazy in 4-6 months.

Hate to go far off track but I honestly haven't had any issues with selling on eBay, outside of the fees and platform sucking (like needing to re-enter my zip code each time...).
Ugh, I hate to side track the thread but I just need to vent here bc... welp, I jinxed myself. New buyer bought a near mint game from me last week and it arrived loose/damaged inside the case, LOL.

KOF 97 should still be the same version, unless they did a special version of that one.

Has anyone heard anything on retrobit or whomever was going to do the Mega Man Wily Wars physical release?
King of Fighters 97 Global Match was a special standalone release.

Orochi Saga doesn't have online play.

Yes, LRG supporters are comprised of a bunch of Ebayers. And when they miss a title they are willing to go pay double on the aftermarket because that's how they operate.

It's a bunch of artificial demand that is going to dissipate over time.

If you're a seller then why were you always whining about "Chris on Ebay".
Because the guy clearly was bypassing purchase limits you dumb fuck

I feel like it might be a little psycho bringing up ebay chris after more than a year without him being mentioned.

No judgement.

Seems like most games in recent years have had no limits on them since they are manufactured to order.

Crap, now I'm starting to wonder if ole ebay chris skipped all open preorder games since there wasn't the system to game on them.

Great... now I'm the psycho.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1372604662948462594?s=20
Sigh...why did this have to be announced right after I bought a PS5. I'm a sucker for Fata Morgana and Umineko.

edit: Eh. Just noticed the price. Pass. I already own the PS4 CE and it would be dumb to buy another copy.

Ok so fine, LRG wants to play the China excuse game for preorders, whatever. But that doesn't exactly work when I order 2 games they have in stock and they still haven't shipped after a week. What's the excuse du jour for that?

Ok so fine, LRG wants to play the China excuse game for preorders, whatever. But that doesn't exactly work when I order 2 games they have in stock and they still haven't shipped after a week. What's the excuse du jour for that?
Those dudes literally makes excuses for anything. It took at least 6 months for games well before Covid.

That was Covid's fault. It's a very witty virus.
Covid was messing with them via a temporal time warp due to the hadron collider. It's a very picky and bitter virus that hats a small north carolinian niche gaming company that certainly isn't just run by to incompetent 'business' men.

Any day the Shantae games that were already delayed once will most likely be delayed again all because of that time traveling virus.

Meanwhile, I've had no issue with iam8bit and strictly limited games. SLG even keeps you up to date with the production and development of the games. Seems Covid didn't timewarp and mess with them.

Covid was messing with them via a temporal time warp due to the hadron collider. It's a very picky and bitter virus that hats a small north carolinian niche gaming company that certainly isn't just run by to incompetent 'business' men.

Any day the Shantae games that were already delayed once will most likely be delayed again all because of that time traveling virus.

Meanwhile, I've had no issue with iam8bit and strictly limited games. SLG even keeps you up to date with the production and development of the games. Seems Covid didn't timewarp and mess with them.
Are you kidding with SLG? They are literally the worst. Not only have they had games delayed over a year in some cases, but even after they ship, it can take three months for the package to arrive. I agree that iam8bit is generally fine, although they have had significant delays as well. The only one of these companies that is really prompt is Super Rare Games and that's because they actually order their games well before they open orders.

Are you kidding with SLG? They are literally the worst. Not only have they had games delayed over a year in some cases, but even after they ship, it can take three months for the package to arrive. I agree that iam8bit is generally fine, although they have had significant delays as well. The only one of these companies that is really prompt is Super Rare Games and that's because they actually order their games well before they open orders.
I personally haven't had a problem with SLG

I personally haven't had a problem with SLG
They always deliver eventually, but to pretend that they are prompt or even good at communicating delays is just not accurate. Their customer service is also terrible and generally involves a canned response of "you should check with your post office to see where your package is after three months". In fact, I don't think a single one of their releases has been even close to the original estimate in the past two years. I also think they have the current record for longest delayed release with the possible exception of Dispatch Games.

Does Game Tengoku count as a delay? I think that still takes the cake if so. 25+ months later, still waiting on that advertised DLC.

I don't think SLG has done a great job with communication or delivery, but I'd reiterate that one company doing worse doesn't absolve all of the others. LRG is the most irksome to me simply because they keep digging their backlog deeper and deeper by putting more stuff up for sale every week. No other limited company has anywhere near the output or the backlog.

I do think nagpo has a good point, though. Most of the people running these companies are people passionate about games or the game industry and not people with backgrounds in management.

Does Game Tengoku count as a delay? I think that still takes the cake if so. 25+ months later, still waiting on that advertised DLC.

I don't think SLG has done a great job with communication or delivery, but I'd reiterate that one company doing worse doesn't absolve all of the others. LRG is the most irksome to me simply because they keep digging their backlog deeper and deeper by putting more stuff up for sale every week. No other limited company has anywhere near the output or the backlog.

I do think nagpo has a good point, though. Most of the people running these companies are people passionate about games or the game industry and not people with backgrounds in management.
I agree that other companies doing poorly shouldn't be an excuse for LRG to do so as well, but I do think it's odd that a company that only does one release a month still has such a massive backlog and can't be bothered to provide accurate updates or responsive customer service. I mean at one point last year SLG was sending out a monthly update essentially saying "good news, we moved to a new warehouse facility, so delays will be eliminated going forward". Almost immediately after that, the delays got even worse and that was well before Covid.

I have been having the same problem with SLG the last 2 order that have been shipped by them have taken almost 3 months to get to me

I have been having the same problem with SLG the last 2 order that have been shipped by them have taken almost 3 months to get to me
Yep. I finally received Sisters Royale CE after fourteen weeks in transit. I am still awaiting the Crosscode CE which is at around eight weeks in transit now and the tracking number still doesn't work. It's very frustrating because I regularly import vinyl and other items from Germany and other parts of Europe and I have never seen delays of this type at any point in the pandemic from other vendors.

Yep. I finally received Sisters Royale CE after fourteen weeks in transit. I am still awaiting the Crosscode CE which is at around eight weeks in transit now and the tracking number still doesn't work. It's very frustrating because I regularly import vinyl and other items from Germany and other parts of Europe and I have never seen delays of this type at any point in the pandemic from other vendors.
The reality is that there are plenty of people with disposable income that will continue to buy their releases and won't complain about the delays or lack of communication because the truth is that most people with significant disposable income don't have the time to worry about it and just enjoy the experience when the products show up.
It's the experience, enjoy it.

I agree. Nothing says humblebrag of "disposable income" to others or even yourself like having walls of sealed video games and vinyls. As they always say, materialistic things is what makes happiness.
Hmmm...new account and immediately makes a beeline for the LRG thread. I wonder what repeatedly banned user this could possibly be?

Yeah I've also had pretty lousy experiences with my 2 most recent orders from SLG.
I ordered the Vasara Collection for Switch in July of 2019 and it didn't ship until March of 2020. Plus when it finally arrived its art insert was all mangled and the digital version went on sale for 99¢ that same week.

The only other game I've ordered since then was the Space Invaders Invincible Collection for Switch. Ordered it in June 2020, it was supposed to ship in November/December but now they're saying it will ship in April or May. Pretty ridiculous.

bread's done
Back