Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Never had a package from LRG or any other limited vendor take 14 weeks from shipment to arrive on top of an 11 month wait from order. But sure, it's exactly the same thing.
It is the same thing many here has experienced with LRG. I waited over a year for my order from LRG to ship and once it did, the tracking number never updated until weeks later. All they did was print the shipping label and sat on it for weeks. This was way before covid too. How is this situation different from what you are experiencing and has said that you are frustrated with? Isn't this the experienced that you told us to enjoy since people with a lot of income like you don't mind? Has your significate disposable income been affected lately?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a package from LRG or any other limited vendor take 14 weeks from shipment to arrive on top of an 11 month wait from order. But sure, it's exactly the same thing.
I just waited 14 months for my last iam8bit order (Kentucky Route Zero). Don't think I'm going to order from them very much anymore.

It is the same thing many here has experienced with LRG. I waited over a year for my order from LRG to ship and once it did, the tracking number never updated until weeks later. All they did was print the shipping label and sat on it for weeks. This was way before covid too. How is this situation different from what you are experiencing and has said that you are frustrated with? Isn't this the experienced that you told us to enjoy since people with a lot of income like you don't mind? Has your significate disposable income been affected lately?
A package from LRG took 14 weeks to reach you once it shipped? Did you contact LRG? Did they tell you they couldn't do anything after two months and that you should probably go ask your post office to look around for it? Pretty sure that's not what happened. What happened is you probably got a tracking number from LRG and then got the package a few weeks later. Again, not the same thing and I can assure you that if the package from LRG didn't show up, they would have replaced it based on what I've seen other customers report. I doubt SLG would have done anything but tell you it's your problem to deal with and that you should check the post office.

Again, I don't think most LRG customers are all that concerned with how long it takes for the games to actually be produced as long as the games work properly. I do think they would have an issue if LRG was using a totally untrackable shipping service that took 2-3 months each time and LRG's response was "hey, not our problem" if things didn't show up. As for my disposable income, it's just fine, thank you for asking. Apparently that's the case for a lot of their customers as I believe Scott Pilgrim sold a record number of copies.

Yep. I finally received Sisters Royale CE after fourteen weeks in transit. I am still awaiting the Crosscode CE which is at around eight weeks in transit now and the tracking number still doesn't work. It's very frustrating because I regularly import vinyl and other items from Germany and other parts of Europe and I have never seen delays of this type at any point in the pandemic from other vendors.
This is due the fact that SLG sent the packages out by sea mail. Tracking does not work while the package is at sea. Once it hits land the tracking will update. Sea mail is taking about 2 to 3 months right now to USA.

Using sea mail during the pandemic is not unheard of. NG Dev did it for Gunlord.

I do think they would have an issue if LRG was using a totally untrackable shipping service that took 2-3 months each time and LRG's response was "hey, not our problem" if things didn't show up.
LRG is doing exactly this for international packages with Asendia. This is from yesterday on their Discord:

lEkSKhZ.png

In fairness though, that's about all these companies can do. They aren't hand delivering packages and if they offered up replacements every time something was delayed in transit they'd be bankrupt.

Shipping via seamail has always been excruciatingly slow, and shipping via airmail has always been excruciatingly expensive. COVID has exacerbated both of those problems. Ideally you'd give customers the choice (slow shipping or expensive shipping) and let them pick their poison, but domestically LRG only allows UPS Mail Innovations and internationally I think they only offer Asendia. It's been so long since I've ordered from SLG that I don't remember if they offer multiple shipping methods.

For those that missed the Ys Origin CE, Strictly Limited Games in Europe is selling 1,500 copies each (PS4/Switch) of their version of the CE. No Steelbook but a 2-disc soundtrack instead of 1-disc. Comes out to just under $70 shipped after conversion from Euro's. PS4 version is already 25% sold, not sure about Switch.

That astrocity cab is cool looking, but an easy pass.  I just got the Legends Gamer Pro (and for less than this)... and I have the NeoGeo Mini (which I played maybe twice)... so I can just let this go.   Looks like it's very similar in features/layout as the NeoGeo Mini.

Only 3500 made. It will sell out. "This features localized English packaging for the US." So are the ROMs still Japanese? I'd think no but seems odd to call out the packaging.

Am I the only one not seeing the reason for all of the LRG hate? Their main problem seems to be delayed games which they can fix by just being more honest with their descriptions and saying it can take 6 months to a year for the game to ship. Other than that they're the same company they've always been when everyone loved them. Saying they release "too many games" is a bad take because taste is subjective. Just buy what you want and forget about collecting every single release. It makes more people happy that way to have more variety. Other than that when I've had a problem with a missing item I opened up a ticket and customer service shipped it out right away with no problems and they do a great job with cover art design, instruction manuals, etc. compared to the lazy packaging that major publishers put out.

Only 3500 made. It will sell out. "This features localized English packaging for the US." So are the ROMs still Japanese? I'd think no but seems odd to call out the packaging.
Pretty sure it's just the Japanese version with an English box. It sounds like LRG just imported 3,500 of them and re-boxed them. I believe Douglas mentioned on Discord that they didn't import the arcade sticks because it was too expensive.

Sony just recently announced that the digital stores for the PS3 and Vita will soon be going down permanently.

AND, THIS is why we still need physical games. THIS, right here! In the near future, it will no longer be possible to purchase digital games for a console that sold around 100 million units worldwide over the course of a decade. Too much of an ongoing expense, I suppose, to continue supporting a digital store for a legacy console. So anyone hoping to buy and play some older, more obscure PS3 games are going to be out of luck. It's pick up a physical copy somewhere, or twiddle your thumbs in frustration.

The better part of 10 years worth of posted video games, now no longer available for legitimate acquisition. That's crazy. Especially for a platform as broadly supported as the PS3. I can understand this sort of thing for a commercial hiccup like the Vita. But the PS3 was an arguably successful and extensively played system. And there are a number of titles that are exclusive to that system, and haven't been ported anywhere else.

Hang on to your PS3 collections, and start keeping an eye out while shopping for obscure PS3 titles. They all just got that much more valuable.

Sony just recently announced that the digital stores for the PS3 and Vita will soon be going down permanently.

AND, THIS is why we still need physical games. THIS, right here! In the near future, it will no longer be possible to purchase digital games for a console that sold around 100 million units worldwide over the course of a decade. Too much of an ongoing expense, I suppose, to continue supporting a digital store for a legacy console. So anyone hoping to buy and play some older, more obscure PS3 games are going to be out of luck. It's pick up a physical copy somewhere, or twiddle your thumbs in frustration.

The better part of 10 years worth of posted video games, now no longer available for legitimate acquisition. That's crazy. Especially for a platform as broadly supported as the PS3. I can understand this sort of thing for a commercial hiccup like the Vita. But the PS3 was an arguably successful and extensively played system. And there are a number of titles that are exclusive to that system, and haven't been ported anywhere else.

Hang on to your PS3 collections, and start keeping an eye out while shopping for obscure PS3 titles. They all just got that much more valuable.
Emulation/piracy is the way. I'm worried about being able to re-download games and especially the availability of patches.

Just to be clear, no they haven't.

The PS3, PS Vita, and PlayStation Portable stores aren’t long for this world. According to a source familiar with the situation (verified by TheGamer), the stores are due to be closed down from July. The announcement is planned for the end of this month.
Emphasis mine.

Sony hasn't announced anything. A news outlet with a sketchy publication history cited an anonymous source saying the store was closing, and since then nobody - Sony, other outlets (except those citing the original news article), or developers - have confirmed it.

One developer even posted a picture of a Vita devkit they received today. I'd be astonished if they were selling devkits this close to store closure.

Am I the only one not seeing the reason for all of the LRG hate? Their main problem seems to be delayed games which they can fix by just being more honest with their descriptions and saying it can take 6 months to a year for the game to ship. Other than that they're the same company they've always been when everyone loved them. Saying they release "too many games" is a bad take because taste is subjective. Just buy what you want and forget about collecting every single release. It makes more people happy that way to have more variety. Other than that when I've had a problem with a missing item I opened up a ticket and customer service shipped it out right away with no problems and they do a great job with cover art design, instruction manuals, etc. compared to the lazy packaging that major publishers put out.
Member Since 18 Mar 2021

Another alt account

As for my disposable income, it's just fine, thank you for asking. Apparently that's the case for a lot of their customers as I believe Scott Pilgrim sold a record number of copies.
That's good to hear. Don't forget, you have too much disposable income to get frustrated with your Crosscode order. Just enjoy the experience, the order will show up.

That's good to hear. Don't forget, you have too much disposable income to get frustrated with your Crosscode order. Just enjoy the experience, the order will show up.
Again, when a LRG package takes 14 weeks from the time it leaves their warehouse to get to me and LRG refuses to take any responsibility other than to tell me to check with the post office, I'll concede the point.

Am I missing the pre-order for the "English" version, or is this only for the already released Japanese version? If so, is LRG the only retailer to offer the US(English)version?
The system itself is the same, the only difference is the outer cardboard box has English for the lrg version and costs a little more. LRG mentions this in their listing as English packaging. The Japanese version has English text on the system art as well as English in actual games. See the jp Amazon link and the reviews and pictures from the various European English text reviews. Fast shipping and the screens show English. So the only benefit is an English box which may or may not matter to you.

The system itself is the same, the only difference is the outer cardboard box has English for the lrg version and costs a little more. LRG mentions this in their listing as English packaging. The Japanese version has English text on the system art as well as English in actual games. See the jp Amazon link and the reviews and pictures from the various European English text reviews. Fast shipping and the screens show English. So the only benefit is an English box which may or may not matter to you.
I've been under the impression that even though the Japanese versions has and "English" language option, that not all the games are in English within the game itself? This video I saw yesterday which led me here, states as much, and while the packaging is in English, the games that didn't have English before, now seem to have it. This was the reason I had never ordered this before, as I wanted to be able to read the in game text for every game, but if it is not all in English, than an easy pass, but the EU distribution, as well as LRG seems to state it will be English across the board?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4nfD5hnmb8

I've been under the impression....
If you read the comments in the video you linked it's stated by the video creator:

"*as mentioned in comments, LRG's has deleted the tweet stating the games are in English. Sounds like just a repackage of the Japanese version then..."

Also they updated the listing on LRG to note which games are japanese only and which have english menus but japanese text in them.

Looks like it's 100% the same as the Japanese version which makes sense as sega isn't going to make a unique production run of 3500 units.

Also these changed from on hand to in production. So... add that extra delay in there.

If you read the comments in the video you linked it's stated by the video creator:
Thanks for that info, as that video didn't have the update when I had originally viewed it yesterday. So a blessing in disguise I suppose, as just changing the box seems a HUGE waste of time. Still a good offering for those who may not want to deal with importing, but that was never my personal issue to begin with.

And of course LRG rises to their normal levels of shite, by saying now in "production", as it was ready to ship when first listed. Wow, if I had a dollar for every time they listed something, and then changed it by release day.......well, you get my point. LOL Well, I was trying my level best to not have to deal with LRG for this, and now thanks to SEGA and lazy offerings, it's a non issue either way.

Limited Run revised the shipping dates for a bunch of titles today:

Estimated Ship Date changed to April 2021:

Estimated Ship Date changed to Q2 2021:

Titles by Production Status::
  • In Production: 213 (95.9%)
  • On Deck: 9 (4.1%)

Titles by Estimated Ship Date::
  • TBD: 107 (50.2%)
  • Q1 2021: 51 (23.9%)
  • Q2 2021: 23 (10.8%)
  • April 2021: 18 (8.5%)
  • 2020: 6 (2.8%)
  • Q4 2020: 4 (1.9%)
  • 2021: 3 (1.4%)
  • Q1/Q2 2021: 1 (0.5%)

lol i knew shantae would get delayed again. And look at that production ratio. yikes

(And thanks for taking the time to pull all this info together!)
No problem! I wrote a script to ping the production updates page once a day and look for changes. I can post these regularly, but I didn't know if it'd get annoying.

Since I started monitoring these on March 9th, 22 titles have changed to 'On Deck' status. The list above is the first time they've updated shipping dates since then.

As Bojay would say: "I don't really see a problem with the delays. I love LRG"

Still debating if its really worth ordering NMH if they won't be coming till next year. Those seem like the type of games that would REALLY be delayed as far back as possible.
Their average turnaround tends to be 6-8 months, barring oddities like Tiny Metal (which took a year), Game Tengoku (which I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me bitch about), Celeste, Skullgirls, etc. They also seem to move 25-35 games per month into the "Shipping" status (that's not to say every unit of that title is shipped in that timeframe, but I digress). So with 220 items in the pipeline, we're looking at 6-9 months for shipping, which is pretty consistent with the turnaround times we're observing.

All that math to say, we're at the point in the year where it's questionable whether anything you order now will actually arrive this year, NMH included. And of course, that's assuming that the massive order quantities for things like Shantae or Scott Pilgrim don't further disrupt their current velocity.

No problem! I wrote a script to ping the production updates page once a day and look for changes. I can post these regularly, but I didn't know if it'd get annoying.

Since I started monitoring these on March 9th, 22 titles have changed to 'On Deck' status. The list above is the first time they've updated shipping dates since then.
Any update on Shantae GBC?

All that math to say, we're at the point in the year where it's questionable whether anything you order now will actually arrive this year, NMH included. And of course, that's assuming that the massive order quantities for things like Shantae or Scott Pilgrim don't further disrupt their current velocity.
Agree anything you're ordering now is 2022. Factor in the ongoing supply chain delays, and you're probably looking at a few months into 2021 already.

Not the Switch version, the GBC repro.
Ah, sorry for misreading.

Given it wasn't on the list, I wonder if they just forgot to put the orders in.
Here's everything still listed as 2020 or Q1 2021:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
| Name | EstimatedShipDate |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
| Shantae: Risky's Revenge 2LP Soundtrack Vinyl | 2020 |
| Hellfire Soundtrack Vinyl | Q4 2020 |
| October 16th Mega-Bundle | Q4 2020 |
| Shantae and the Pirate's Curse SteelBook | Q4 2020 |
| Shantae Trading Card Set (3 Cards) | Q4 2020 |
| August 14th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| August 21st Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| August 28th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| August 7th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| Chasm 2LP Soundtrack Vinyl | Q1 2021 |
| Destroy All Humans! 2LP Soundtrack Vinyl | Q1 2021 |
| DOOM Slayer Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| Fault Milestone One Collector's Edition (PS4) | Q1 2021 |
| Fault Milestone One Collector's Edition (Switch) | Q1 2021 |
| July 24th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| Limited Run #356: Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (PS4) | Q1 2021 |
| Limited Run #375: Art of Fighting Anthology Collector's Edition (PS4) | Q1 2021 |
| Neon City Riders Vinyl | Q1 2021 |
| October 23rd Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| October 30th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| October 9th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| September 4th Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| Shantae (GBC) | Q1 2021 |
| Shantae Collector's Edition (GBC) | Q1 2021 |
| Shantae GBC Vinyl Soundtrack Clear Variant | Q1 2021 |
| Shantae: Half-Genie Hero SteelBook | Q1 2021 |
| The Mummy Demastered 2LP Soundtrack Vinyl | Q1 2021 |
| Tie Fighter/X-Wing Mega-Bundle | Q1 2021 |
| Truxton Soundtrack Vinyl | Q1 2021 |
| Zero Wing Soundtrack Vinyl | Q1 2021 |

I just realized I was double-counting some titles in my summary last night. It should be:

Titles by Production Status:
  • In Production: 174 (95.1%)
  • On Deck: 9 (4.9%)
Titles by Estimated Ship Date:
  • TBD: 106 (57.9%)
  • Q2 2021: 23 (12.6%)
  • Q1 2021: 20 (10.9%)
  • April 2021: 18 (9.8%)
  • Q4 2020: 3 (1.6%)
  • 2021: 2 (1.1%)
  • Q1/Q2 2021: 1 (0.5%)
  • 2020: 1 (0.5%)

Streets of Rage 4 is getting dlc, I won't be surprised if they get people to double dip for the "complete" version

I'm curious as to how Best Buy chooses which LRG to carry. For example, why would they choose to distribute unpopular titles like Windjammers and Lumines which seems like they'll never be able to sell out of while pass off games that would sell out quickly like the KOF games and Grandia HD Collection?
Well, first, those were two of the first titles they had the opportunity to carry.

Second, 'Windjammers' and 'Lumines' are far from unpopular. The interest in 'Windjammers' alone garnered a second after how many years from the first release.

I'm curious as to how Best Buy chooses which LRG to carry. For example, why would they choose to distribute unpopular titles like Windjammers and Lumines which seems like they'll never be able to sell out of while pass off games that would sell out quickly like the KOF games and Grandia HD Collection?
By throwing darts at a board of course. Sure some of the earlier games are lingering because they ordered too many but most of the recent ones are much more limited. Very few Switch games end up being a bad investment for them, they just sell. It's unbelievable how many we sold over the weekend after everyone got their stimulus.

Second, 'Windjammers' and 'Lumines' are far from unpopular. The interest in 'Windjammers' alone garnered a second after how many years from the first release.
Yeah, this. Windjammers might not have had all that much exposure in the mainstream. But for old-school gaming fans, it has a substantial cult following. It's particularly well known as a great two-player head-to-head title. And don't even get me started on Lumines. That game comes from a series that started on the PSP, had plenty of critical praise, and a famous director. Lumines is actually one of the better known and more mainstream series that LRG has published.

Streets of Rage 4 is getting dlc, I won't be surprised if they get people to double dip for the "complete" version
I know times have changed and LRG has changed, but it's frustrating to them make decisions like this while still trying to parade themselves as the patron saints of preservation on Twitter. Feels like they're playing both sides of the field and comes across as uninformed at best and disingenuous at worst.

I won't be surprised if they do a Streets of Rage 4 Complete Edition, but you can only get it if you purchase a $150-$200 collector's edition.

I know times have changed and LRG has changed, but it's frustrating to them make decisions like this while still trying to parade themselves as the patron saints of preservation on Twitter. Feels like they're playing both sides of the field and comes across as uninformed at best and disingenuous at worst.
Yeah I thought their original MO was to only release the final patched with dlc version of games to preserve them

bread's done
Back