Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
The last thing i would do is listen to anything you say. I've watched your youtube videos on sealed collecting.

You're part of the problem that excels companies like LRG, they thrive off collectors like you.
Ooo can I be part of the problem, too?

IMG_2955_zpsazm6cyqg.jpg

Here are the prices in case anyone is curious

Oxenfree (PS4) - $29.99
Aqua Kitty DX (PS4/Vita) - $24.99
Curses N Chaos (PS4/Vita) - $24.99

Prices are based off of PSN prices.
Well this will be the first time i pass on LRG games 3 games for others to get. Waiting for the big indie games.....still hoping for binding of issac

LRG still hasn't implemented the combined shipping thing right? I feel like with 3 releases, it would have been nice to have in Jan. 

The last thing i would do is listen to anything you say. I've watched your youtube videos on sealed collecting.

You're part of the problem that excels companies like LRG, they thrive off collectors like you.
I'm going to go ahead and deconstruct this, but I first just want to point out that this was rude, childish, and uncalled for. That's as far down to your level as I'll be sinking.

I have one video on YouTube dedicated to sealed collecting. I analyze it to the best of my ability and pose the question of why do people do it when looking at it objectively, rather than through the eyes of "because I'm a collector!". For my own stance after looking at it as objectively as I can, I'm against it. I don't see compelling reasons, and it doesn't fit into any version of how I glean enjoyment from my collection.

My collecting philosophy, and obviously the one that I express on my channel, is that people should buy/collect games that they think are interesting and like--not buying random shit because it's cheap, not buying things they don't even like because they're rare, and certainly not doing either of those while keeping the games sealed.

With that in mind, wouldn't that make my philosophy one that in no way urges or encourages people to rabidly buy up every game that LRG releases to keep sealed for years in the hopes of making $30? In fact, wouldn't it be quite to the contrary? These are rhetorical questions of course, but it seemed like you needed some help understanding all of that.

Apologies for derailing the thread, everyone. It's one thing for someone to be an ass hat on the Internet, but I don't like having my views misunderstood and misrepresented, so that had to be corrected. Carry on!

Also, elephant in the room: What the hell do my views on collecting--which you clearly don't even understand--have to do with my method to easily not miss out on an LRG release? The answer, quite obviously, is nothing.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using TapaTalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
LRG still hasn't implemented the combined shipping thing right? I feel like with 3 releases, it would have been nice to have in Jan.
Combined shipping sounds great, but it's going to be tough for LRG to manage but it will ease the pain for those of us planning on purchasing all 3

Well this will be the first time i pass on LRG games 3 games for others to get. Waiting for the big indie games.....still hoping for binding of issac
Indie games don't get much bigger than Oxenfree. Rated very highly and multiple award winning. Not only that, it's just an all around great game.

Are all three of these hitting on the 27th? Just wondering because I don't recall them ever doing three titles on the same day before.

I'd imagine one is coming earlier... maybe Oxenfree since they said their first game is going to be PS4 only.

Combined shipping sounds great, but it's going to be tough for LRG to manage but it will ease the pain for those of us planning on purchasing all 3
Honestly, I'm happy to pay shipping on a per game release basis. Having games sitting around for weeks and months seems like more trouble than it would be worth, just to save a few bucks.

It's cool they are offering it for those who want to take advantage, but I'm cool just combining games from the same day, to one order. Anything past that day, I'll just pay shipping again.

The fuck is your problem?
I would ignore him. He's a troll that shows up here and on other forums from time to time spinning his usual BS about how sealed collectors and collectors in general are all terrible people and how he alone knows how a gamer should behave. He has also been banned here and elsewhere many times in the past.

Indie games don't get much bigger than Oxenfree. Rated very highly and multiple award winning. Not only that, it's just an all around great game.
I watched a youtube video its not my type of game none of these for the 20th are. Aqua kitty is really short, oxen isnt my cup of tea and chaos looks like rogue legacy but with slight differences

They are really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Seems like they're going after any Indie company that will sign on and whore their overpriced 2 hour game.

One of the Limited Run guys said that they would never release shovelware. Most of these games have been reviewed poorly. Those "Actual Garbage" pics are very funny.

Of the new releases Oxenfree is probably fine but the other 2 do not need physical copies.

Making physical copies of digital only games WAS a great idea and Saturday Morning RPG, Oddworld New N Tasty were good starts but way too many misses and barely any hits. Ofcourse I'm guilty of buying pretty much all of them except Soldner and Strangers Wrath because of the instant sold out glitch.

Why exclusive to Indie releases? Why not do Yakuza 5? Or maybe an Indie series that deserves a physical release on PS4. The Trine Trilogy.

I can see something like Tower of Monsters as a future Limited Run Game instead.

They are really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Seems like they're going after any Indie company that will sign on and whore their overpriced 2 hour game.

One of the Limited Run guys said that they would never release shovelware. Most of these games have been reviewed poorly. Those "Actual Garbage" pics are very funny.

Of the new releases Oxenfree is probably fine but the other 2 do not need physical copies.

Making physical copies of digital only games WAS a great idea and Saturday Morning RPG, Oddworld New N Tasty were good starts but way too many misses and barely any hits. Ofcourse I'm guilty of buying pretty much all of them except Soldner and Strangers Wrath because of the instant sold out glitch.

Why exclusive to Indie releases? Why not do Yakuza 5? Or maybe an Indie series that deserves a physical release on PS4. The Trine Trilogy.

I can see something like Tower of Monsters as a future Limited Run Game instead.
They already said they can't do it or more better Sega didn't want to do it, I mean if you dont like the games then just skip them

This is just ignorant and ridiculous. LRG's mission from the start has been to release niche indie games in physical form. Sure, they've snagged some higher profile titles along the way, but it's pretty naive to think that most large video game companies are going to be satisfied selling 5K to 10K physical copies of a game when digital sales of the game are in the hundreds of thousands or in some cases millions of units. Frankly, if you're looking for bigger titles, it's more likely that companies like Gamestop and others that can get the games into retail are going to attract the established developers. I personally love the titles LRG announced this week and I'm super excited about adding them to my physical collection.

Oxenfree has been on multiple GOTY lists and is nominated alongside games like Uncharted 4 in the Game Developer's Choice Awards. Don't know how this could possibly miss the mark for being a big indie.

Sega has told us that a physical Yakuza 5 will not be possible due to the format the game was mastered in for North American release. We offered to buy 20,000 copies from them at a high wholesale price. I doubt GameStop or any other retailer would make a better offer so it's not going to happen.

Landing bigger releases takes building a reputation, sorting licensing deals, etc. Indies aren't tied behind a ton of bearaucracy and corporate walls. Japanese corporations are impossible to sway as a virtually unknown foreign publisher. Stay tuned throughout this year and you will see that we've managed at least two big Japanese releases from old guard companies.

In any case, releasing smaller games doesn't sacrifice our ability to release big ones. I enjoyed Aqua Kitty and Curses 'N Chaos (Tribute are an incredible dev team, best known for Mercenary Kings and for being the driving forces behind the Scott Pilgrim game). Your opinion that they're shovelware is just that, your opinion. I know that if I enjoyed these games, others will too. Game preservation shouldn't be limited to big releases. Obscure games deserve it too. But really, jf you think these two are on the level of "M&Ms Kart Racer" and "Ninjabread Man", you need to go back and review what real shovelware is. :)

If for some reason you also lumped Oxenfree into that "bottom of the barrel" comment, see my post above. Critically acclaimed, developed by ex-Telltale staff, and published by Skybound (the company owned by Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead). It's an incredibly noteworthy indie release from last year that absolutely deserves a physical relase.

I must be the only person who thinks the Trine series is absolute garbage. Oxenfree has my interest simply because of Skybound... but we're still recovering from unexpected expenses here, and stuff needed for conventions in 17, so my gaming budget is dead. Can't even get RE7. My VR headset is sad.

Seems like one of the best months so far IMO. I love Aqua Kitty, Oxenfree and Curses n Chaos have some outstanding box art.

Can't wait to own all 3.

Landing bigger releases takes building a reputation, sorting licensing deals, etc. Indies aren't tied behind a ton of bearaucracy and corporate walls. Japanese corporations are impossible to sway as a virtually unknown foreign publisher. Stay tuned throughout this year and you will see that we've managed at least two big Japanese releases from old guard companies.
Is the Feb title one of them?

Sega has told us that a physical Yakuza 5 will not be possible due to the format the game was mastered in for North American release. We offered to buy 20,000 copies from them at a high wholesale price. I doubt GameStop or any other retailer would make a better offer so it's not going to happen.
That makes me sad. But details like these are interesting.

In any case, releasing smaller games doesn't sacrifice our ability to release big ones. I enjoyed Aqua Kitty and Curses 'N Chaos (Tribute are an incredible dev team, best known for Mercenary Kings and for being the driving forces behind the Scott Pilgrim game). Your opinion that they're shovelware is just that, your opinion. I know that if I enjoyed these games, others will too. Game preservation shouldn't be limited to big releases. Obscure games deserve it too. But really, jf you think these two are on the level of "M&Ms Kart Racer" and "Ninjabread Man", you need to go back and review what real shovelware is. :)

If for some reason you also lumped Oxenfree into that "bottom of the barrel" comment, see my post above. Critically acclaimed, developed by ex-Telltale staff, and published by Skybound (the company owned by Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead). It's an incredibly noteworthy indie release from last year that absolutely deserves a physical relase.
You are really too patient with morons like these, who can't understand that just because they don't enjoy a game doesn't mean others can't either. You've no need to justify the games you have released. I'm happy for all of them.

Why in hell are you still doing low 2500 print runs this late in? That's ridiculous.

My worst fear with you guys is doing too many low print runs on the same day and not being able to add all to cart and check out before one of them sells out. And then the cart error delay causing a domino effect.

I haven't missed a release yet but when you have 10k+ followers and every reseller in the world knows about you now, 2500 is just unbelievable!  I thought we were past that and doing 6k+ minimum runs now, what happened?

I love collecting but stuff like this is the bane of my existence and makes me wish stuff like LRG never happened.  This is just too much stress and anxiety with these low print runs.  And then being limited to 1 on top of it provides no insurance against floaters or broken cases.

I mean really what's next, 3 cover variants with 1500 print run and a limit of 1?  That's inciting nuclear war with your target audience, seriously. Please promise here and now you'll never produce a situation of being limited to less copies than there are variants...

Side note, it's already hairy as is with the release schedule overlapping with both a possible Switch preorder announcement on a Friday and the Switch launch itself also on a Friday in March... Going to be juggling 2500 print runs from LRG while not missing an F5 of a Switch order that will sell out in .01 second.

Multi tasking items at the same time that sell out in the span of a single page refresh is just SO EXCITING. Not.

Why in hell are you still doing low 2500 print runs this late in? That's ridiculous.
It does seem low, at this point. I wonder how early they have to put in their order for manufacture. As of last release, their numbers really spiked. They haven't always sold out immediately, but I think we're going to see that more in the future. Hopefully, if that becomes the case, they can safely bump their numbers.

I don't know, I think some of you are still missing the whole point of "limited" Run Games.

Every game released so far could have sold more copies over a few hours, or even days, maybe even weeks.

This is not a standard retail operation where the most copies possible are looking to be sold. If anyone has seen many of the exclusives offered by GS, you also know that somewhere along the line, some of those games are offered at $10-$20 off of the original retail price, so they can clear inventory that is stuck there.

The only reason a game like Aqua Kitty can sale out in a few minutes or even hours is due to these games being "limited". Shovel Knight which was first offered awhile back at Fangamer, still has copies for sale. I forget the number they made, but it was a few thousand for preorders, and then another 1000 or so on top of that. If that same amount would have been offered in the way LRG offers it, it would have SOLD OUT the first day, as it would have appeared to be "limited". By them offering preorders, and creating copies on top of that, it is still limited, but not in the same way as LRG is "limited".

For Yacht Club, Fangamers method is fine, as they are in no rush to sale items and Fangamer has a huge warehouse where holding inventory is the order of the day.

If anyone of these games where produced to the point of really not being considered "limited", they would sit here as well, and LRG would not be in business long. This has been explained many times over, and still the same comments are made and the same questions asked. You neither understand this, or you don't. So yes, more copies could always sale, but it is better to keep numbers low to make sure they move, than to sale more, and maybe not sale out at all, and that is an issue LRG can't afford to have happen.

@Josh

Please view the Katt Williams "Haters Gon Hate Skit" clip on Youtube, I would post it here, but the language is a little racy, and I don't want to offend anyone, but that 56 second skit sums up the issues that are going to continue around here, NeoGaf, and probably Gamefaqs(wherever you actively post). I love that you comment here, but defending yourself to a "certain" crowd is pointless. And eventually you will end up saying something that pisses someone off, and then the real shit storm will begin, and then you'll probably stop posting everywhere, and I would hate to see that happen. You and Doug seem like cool dudes, so just ignore the crowd that you are never going to change no matter what you do or say.

There's definitely a balance, though. Limited IS relative. If the games are literally selling out within a minute, which happened to me twice at the release of Stranger's Wrath, there's room to increase the print. I literally refreshed the page and had the game within my cart and hit checkout with in 30 seconds of it coming up and missed the game TWICE.

At that juncture, I don't think you're risking business to have a higher print. The trick is knowing which games will draw that attention. I feel like LRG has seen very fluctuating numbers even after a year of business. I understand why they might undershoot a print or even overestimate it. It seems like they just recently had a large influx of customers, too.

People need to relax, though. I was disappointed when I missed the game, but I don't blame LRG. It's very apparent they are doing their absolute best to accommodate a very hostile and competitive market. I think people severely underestimate the difficulty of what they're trying to do.

LRG is a business, and there is likely some strategic decisions being made in regards to why print runs are as large or as small as they are. It could have to do with how many copies were sold digitally, how well the game was reviewed, what the developer was comfortable with (It could be embarrassing for them if their game sits around for weeks and never sells out, leading to bad publicity) or agreed to, or even what genre the game falls into and how well that type of game sold in the past.

I'm a little nervous with Curses only getting 2500 copies and I hope that Oxenfree gets a significantly higher run, considering it's awards and critical acclaim. But I've never entertained the idea that LRG set these print numbers with the specific intent of screwing people. There's a very fine balance at play here, yes it's a slippery slope, but there's more behind it than feeding scalpers.   

I love what LRG is doing. Only been able to score one game for my friend and when I missed others I was sad but was like oh well.

When I can afford just find one on CAG or eBAY.

Also when I see titles that are not for me, like JAN releases, I just think more money for Feb if they have stuff I like.

The print runs are low because we felt like the games had limited appeal versus a bigger title like Firewatch or Oddworld. If we printed too many copies of a game with limited appeal, we'd end up sitting on them forever with no hope to move them. Neither Curses 'N Chaos nor Aqua Kitty have reversible art nor cover variants and both will be limited to one per customer. I don't suspect anyone will have issue getting them. Response to these has been relatively mixed (see the previous shovelware comment) so we expect we'll be right on the money in terms of total units. Don't let the response fool you, though - these are still great games.

Oxenfree is 4,500 units so really no need to worry there.

Thank you Josh for taking the time to share some of what goes on behind the scenes, and for making a real effort to get Yakuza 5.   It makes it even more disappointing because Atlus/SEGA is releasing a physical PS3 game (Persona 5) almost a year and a half later.  That's going to sell almost nothing, like Rise of the Tomb Raider on the 360.  

Do you expect the system to combine orders to be up and running so we could get 1 shipment for the games on 1/20 and 1/27?

We allowed people who contacted us to combine their Lone Survivor orders and it was a bit a sloppy as the plugin we purchased for Shopify didn't actually do what it advertised. We're looking into alternatives and should hopefully be able to have that all running fine by the time Oxenfree goes up.

If it ends up snowing here this weekend and I can't make it into work early next week, Oxenfree may actually land on the same day as Aqua Kitty and Curses 'N Chaos. I have to submit all the final artwork to the factory once approved and can only do that from our office (Sony IP restricts their sites). If everything lands on the same day, that should save folks the hassle of needing to combine.

If we did that, we'd figure out a way to add a button to the site that would allow people to easily add all the games to their cart with one click. Should alleviate the concern that some people have about not being able to add to cart fast enough.

If we did that, we'd figure out a way to add a button to the site that would allow people to easily add all the games to their cart with one click. Should alleviate the concern that some people have about not being able to add to cart fast enough.
This has been my only issues in the past, as adding multiple games at launch time, can be really hectic. So this is a great idea, if it works. I still may get one in the am, and get my other in the pm. I'll follow your comments and see if it will good to try on the next game day.

Good luck with these new programs, as I know they are being done to help customers, but hopefully they won't cause to many issues either.

My worst fear with you guys is doing too many low print runs on the same day and not being able to add all to cart and check out before one of them sells out. And then the cart error delay causing a domino effect.

[snip]

Side note, it's already hairy as is with the release schedule overlapping with both a possible Switch preorder announcement on a Friday and the Switch launch itself also on a Friday in March... Going to be juggling 2500 print runs from LRG while not missing an F5 of a Switch order that will sell out in .01 second.

Multi tasking items at the same time that sell out in the span of a single page refresh is just SO EXCITING. Not.
I do agree that 2500 print runs are too small. 1000 (or so) copies for each of the two selling groups (morning and evening) is really tiny. I suspect that Aqua Kitty will sell out instantly and be gone.

As for the Switch, you really shouldn't agonize over missing a preorder. It's never going to be rare like these LRG games, so even if you miss an initial preorder, you'll be able to get one no problem. And if you can't, due to Nintendo's asinine product limitations to stoke demand, you'd be better off just skipping it completely.

As long as Curses N Chaos and Aqua Kitty don't go up on the same day, esp with being PS4 and Vita.  That's 4 items to add to cart for a 1000 inventory lot before checking out and your have to do it in like 3 seconds.  That's nerve wracking.  They aren't going up on the same day and same exact time are they???

As long as Curses N Chaos and Aqua Kitty don't go up on the same day, esp with being PS4 and Vita. That's 4 items to add to cart for a 1000 inventory lot before checking out and your have to do it in like 3 seconds. That's nerve wracking. They aren't going up on the same day and same exact time are they???
They're both on 1/27. Oxenfree is on 1/20, but might get pushed back to 1/27

The print runs are low because we felt like the games had limited appeal versus a bigger title like Firewatch or Oddworld. If we printed too many copies of a game with limited appeal, we'd end up sitting on them forever with no hope to move them. Neither Curses 'N Chaos nor Aqua Kitty have reversible art nor cover variants and both will be limited to one per customer. I don't suspect anyone will have issue getting them. Response to these has been relatively mixed (see the previous shovelware comment) so we expect we'll be right on the money in terms of total units. Don't let the response fool you, though - these are still great games.

Oxenfree is 4,500 units so really no need to worry there.
2500 is low for pretty much any release, and I think you missed the mark in your assessment of their appeal. But we will see... I envision both selling out in minutes and very highly sought after in the after market.

Thanks for all the hard work though, hope you guys have a great 2017.

They're both on 1/27. Oxenfree is on 1/20, but might get pushed back to 1/27
Oh good fucking god. 4 x 1250 qty batch games going up at exactly the same time? Who comes up with this? The first will be sold out before you can refresh the third one to add to cart.

This is basically trolling collectors trying to maintain complete PS4 and Vita libraries.

Oh man. A possibility of 3 games on the 27th with 2 of them having PS4 and Vita versions sounds like a nightmare to get in 1 order.

Challenge accepted!!

I think Doomstink has a point... I'm not big into indie games but I've never even heard of Aqua Kitty and Curses 'N Chaos, but I have heard of Oxenfree. I know it's not a good way to gauge games but look at the release dates/number of reviews on PSN store... Oxenfree came out like 9 months ago and has nearly 850+ reviews, CnC came out over a 1.3 years ago and has about 300 reviews, and AK came out over 2 years ago has less than 600 reviews (a majority of which were likely driven by purchases for when the game being on sale, I'd imagine). Oxenfree also has 5 star rating, the other two have 4 stars. 

I'd wager that their numbers are good that the games will sell out fairly quickly but not be impossible to get if you can be on when it hits 10AM. EST. 

bread's done
Back