Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
I wasn't intending on purchasing from LRG. Supporting physical copies of selling scarcity is worse to me then digital.
I would have bought digital to save on scallping prices. Not about to drop $200 to have a physical copy of oddworld when it's digital for like $2 dollars. I just want to know if any of the games were good which seems very subjective.
Even the MSRP I find high when people call them mobile games.

I wasn't intending on purchasing from LRG. Supporting physical copies of selling scarcity is worse to me then digital.
I would have bought digital to save on scallping prices. Not about to drop $200 to have a physical copy of oddworld when it's digital for like $2 dollars. I just want to know if any of the games were good which seems very subjective.
Even the MSRP I find high when people call them mobile games.
Well, some people like myself refuse to buy digital at all for various reasons, so LRG is one of the only chances to actually play some of these titles. Some of them are pretty quality too, far from "mobile" games.

Wonder boy and oceanhorn for vita hopefully both on the same day in July please.
Yeah, it sucks the Vita didn't get a version of Wonder Boy, as I would have bought that in a heartbeat. Then I was hopeful LRG would make a physical version happen for the NS, but I guess that boat has sailed also. Oh well, I'll just buy it cheap on sale for the PS4 somewhere down the road I guess.

Can anyone name a game from this generation of consoles that has had it's servers shut down?
Off the top of my head: Xbox Fitness, the Disney Infinity series, and Project Spark. I know it's happened for several sports titles as well.

Googling a bit, it looks like you can add Sony's Kill Strain to that list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone name a game from this generation of consoles that has had it's servers shut down?
More importantly, ask if anyone can name an online-only game from this generation which is essentially dead due to few/no players. Why own a disc for a game that is unplayable? Waste of time.

That's the way for most online-only games, they have a limited shelf life and are put by the wayside once the initial excitement ends. And one of the major points of LRG is preserving games physically so that they can be played any time, without the need for servers and online players.

Off the top of my head: Xbox Fitness, the Disney Infinity series, and Project Spark. I know it's happened for several sports titles as well.

Googling a bit, it looks like you can add Sony's Kill Strain to that list.
Dead Star also shut its servers down after about six months.

edit - beaten by Bums

Yeah, so basically no online-only first person shooters have been shut down. No one knows how long the community will last but its safe to say this game will still be playable for 5+ years.

when the hell has it ever been a concern that current-gen games get shut down?  people get concerned about past gen stuff down the line. 

Yeah, so basically no online-only first person shooters have been shut down. No one knows how long the community will last but its safe to say this game will still be playable for 5+ years.
I absolutely am screenshotting this post and putting it in Google Drive with a name like "OPEN ME 7/1/2022" just for fun. I think you're likely correct, for what it's worth but I think 'safe' is a small stretch given it's a new studio / IP. Support varies a lot by company and we just don't know how this one will handle it yet.

I haven't ordered a game in 2017, but Firewatch for the PS4 ran $5.25 in December.
It's up to $5.50 an order now.

Also, Lawbreakers was likely LRG helping out a fellow NC company. I just can't see myself buying it though since it will be online only and it will be the first console game that I miss from them.

It's up to $5.50 an order now.

Also, Lawbreakers was likely LRG helping out a fellow NC company. I just can't see myself buying it though since it will be online only and it will be the first console game that I miss from them.
We're now planning to release it outside of the Limited Run Collection - so no spine tag or catalog number. Missing it won't cause a gap in your LRG spine numbers. :)

We realize the online only nature of the title is polarizing but we still think this is an important title to preserve. We think this is the right route to make sure this release doesn't cause any of our die-hard fans to drop out.

Cliff is inadvertently the reason I'm in this industry so there was no way I'd miss the opportunity to help on his latest game. Doesn't hurt that the game is a lot of fun!

Remember Mag for PS3? Only lasted 4 years.
BTW I really like CliffyB's Gears 1, 2, and 3. He made those 3. Judgment and Gears 4 not from him. Judgment is trash. 4 was ok

Remember Mag for PS3? Only lasted 4 years.
BTW I really like CliffyB's Gears 1, 2, and 3. He made those 3. Judgment and Gears 4 not from him. Judgment is trash. 4 was ok
Haven't played 4, yet, and I didn't play Judgment's campaign, but I did enjoy the multiplayer... felt like an interesting spinoff.

But yea, I'm conflicted about Lawbreakers. I feel like every online only game should be able to be played with a LAN once the servers go offline. That would, at least, allow the game to be preserved and continue to be played if you really wanted to.

I feel like every online only game should be able to be played with a LAN once the servers go offline. That would, at least, allow the game to be preserved and continue to be played if you really wanted to.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I don't ever play multiplayer games online anymore, but for a game like this where a disc is being offered, your idea seems a no brainer.

There's like weird circles of people that still play Phantasy Star together on the Dreamcast using broadband adapters and such, so I know it is possible to play certain games after the official servers go down. No idea how possible it'd be on a PS4 though.

There's like weird circles of people that still play Phantasy Star together on the Dreamcast using broadband adapters and such, so I know it is possible to play certain games after the official servers go down. No idea how possible it'd be on a PS4 though.
That depends on if the code for playing on online servers can be re-written.

Also, Phantasy Star Online and the Dreamcast are miles better than Lawbreakers and any other online game ;)

The quality of games is always subjective. Different strokes for different folks. People's tastes vary, and always will. So a given title can be critically praised to the heavens, but a given person may hate that game, despite being told by others that it's great. It happens all the time.

I've never been a fan of sports simulations. I usually enjoy more arcade-focused sports games, but I can't stand games that attempt to simulate sports. So I've never really been a fan of Gran Turismo, or NBA2K, or Madden. But I love games like Burnout, NBA Live (2d version), and NFL Blitz. (late hits!) It's just something that's peculiar to me. The sports sims I mentioned are often critically praised, but I just don't enjoy that particular genre. I'm willing to acknowledge that those games are most likely good, but I will never go out of my way to play them.

Analysis can be separate from taste, and indeed should be. My personal analysis is that LRG's catalog of titles has been fairly good. I would rate it as somewhere between average and above-average. Maybe an 8/10 overall. For a publisher putting out a lot of different games, that is a very respectable rating. I wouldn't give a score that high to EA or Activision. LRG is in the enviable position of being able to pick and choose a lot of the titles that they publish.

The supply of smaller indie games has been constantly on the rise, a trend that will only continue as knowledge and tools get more extensive and easier to learn and use. So LRG has a finite number of release slots, and a constantly increasing supply of content. Thanks to their past track record of successful sell-out releases, developers' confidence in their service is quite high. Anyone looking to release their game through LRG can be reasonably confident that they won't be left holding extra stock. This makes LRG look like a much less risky option, and developers are more willing to front the money for an LRG release.

So LRG can now select which games they want to release. They have to cover their current contracts, of course. But even those have generally been for good-great games. They haven't really gotten stuck with any real stinkers to date. Going forward they will have their pick of the litter, and can keep the quality of their releases quite high.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I don't ever play multiplayer games online anymore, but for a game like this where a disc is being offered, your idea seems a no brainer.
I stopped playing anything that requires sign ons, mandatory nerf patches, and which stores my save file on a server where it can be held hostage behind forced nerf patches instead of local storage where I can play offline where my stuff can't be taken away or made laughable tier.

Tom Clancy's The Nerf was the last straw and the last online game I will ever play.

Plague rogue is going to ship next month; happy I ordered a ps4 and vita copy before I stopped doing every LRG release.

Holy hell there's only 400? I didn't see any numbers in the email and I'm not on social media.
Update from today:

Hello again friends,

The moment has finally arrived. We're getting ready to ship physical copies of Plague Road to backers. As of now, we expect shipping to commence the first week of August. Hooray!

This does mean that we have to make sure we have everything locked down in terms of shipping addresses. If you are expecting physical copies and have moved recently or have some other change to your shipping address, we need to know immediately. Please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] so that we can update your information.

These copies with the limited edition cover are going to be extremely rare (quite possibly the rarest of all physical Vita games), so make sure we get yours to you. The cut off for shipping information is July 5, 5pm Eastern time. Please, do not delay in reaching out if there's been a change.

If you missed your shot at one of the Kickstarter Edition copies, you can still get your hands on a physical copy from our partners at Limited Run Games. Physical editions for PS4 and PS Vita will be going on sale at their website (www.limitedrungames.com) July 28.

On the digital front, barring any unforeseen issues, we fully expect Plague Road to release on PSN in Europe and on Xbox One in July. We don't have any more specific dates than that, but (as we did for NA digital orders) we should be able to get codes to backers prior to the game being available for purchase.

That's all for now. We'll talk again soon.

Cheers,
Arcade Distillery Team

Update from today:

Hello again friends,
The moment has finally arrived. We're getting ready to ship physical copies of Plague Road to backers. As of now, we expect shipping to commence the first week of August. Hooray!
This does mean that we have to make sure we have everything locked down in terms of shipping addresses. If you are expecting physical copies and have moved recently or have some other change to your shipping address, we need to know immediately. Please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] so that we can update your information.
These copies with the limited edition cover are going to be extremely rare (quite possibly the rarest of all physical Vita games), so make sure we get yours to you. The cut off for shipping information is July 5, 5pm Eastern time. Please, do not delay in reaching out if there's been a change.
If you missed your shot at one of the Kickstarter Edition copies, you can still get your hands on a physical copy from our partners at Limited Run Games. Physical editions for PS4 and PS Vita will be going on sale at their website (www.limitedrungames.com) July 28.
On the digital front, barring any unforeseen issues, we fully expect Plague Road to release on PSN in Europe and on Xbox One in July. We don't have any more specific dates than that, but (as we did for NA digital orders) we should be able to get codes to backers prior to the game being available for purchase.
That's all for now. We'll talk again soon.
Cheers,
Arcade Distillery Team
Yep, that's the email I got.

I totally forgot about this game, and I'm really excited it's coming out now

Has anyone actually played Plague Road?

I played it for 15 minutes before I lost interest... I'm either doing something wrong or the game is too hard, but I couldn't get past one of the earliest parts of the game. 

There are 700 Vita KS covers, 400 PS4. I accidentally reversed it the first time I tweeted about it.

No DARIUSBURST/Furi have shipped yet. Everything is prepacked and ready to go out but we're waiting for the premium trading cards to come in from the manufacturer. We officially dropped stickers and postcards this run because we were tired of people clogging support with "why did I only get one" questions. With trading cards it is one per game and each game has multiple designs available. Cards are high gloss, thick stock, with some incredible foil elements. These are manufactured by some of the same folks that did the premium superhero cards of the 80s and 90s. We're pretty stoked about them. They're actually a little more expensive per card than a sticker/postcard combo but I think less people will toss these so I can feel better about including one for each game ordered.

There are 700 Vita KS covers, 400 PS4. I accidentally reversed it the first time I tweeted about it.

No DARIUSBURST/Furi have shipped yet. Everything is prepacked and ready to go out but we're waiting for the premium trading cards to come in from the manufacturer. We officially dropped stickers and postcards this run because we were tired of people clogging support with "why did I only get one" questions. With trading cards it is one per game and each game has multiple designs available. Cards are high gloss, thick stock, with some incredible foil elements. These are manufactured by some of the same folks that did the premium superhero cards of the 80s and 90s. We're pretty stoked about them. They're actually a little more expensive per card than a sticker/postcard combo but I think less people will toss these so I can feel better about including one for each game ordered.
Can we get a peek?

Can we get a peek?
Agreed^, and is there a set amount of TC per game? You state multiple designs available, so will one game have 3 different cards, while another has 5? Or will it be a set amount per each title? Will each release have the same amount per card, or will some be rarer than others?

Also, will they be offered as stand alone purchases, or will it just be offered as pack ins per game bought?

So we're waiting on the games because of cards? I mean it's whatever but I just want the game guess it's something to give or sell later.

So we're waiting on the games because of cards? I mean it's whatever but I just want the game guess it's something to give or sell later.
We're still within our provided two week window for shipping. Wish it could have gone faster but manufacturing took a bit longer than expected.

Agreed^, and is there a set amount of TC per game? You state multiple designs available, so will one game have 3 different cards, while another has 5? Or will it be a set amount per each title? Will each release have the same amount per card, or will some be rarer than others?

Also, will they be offered as stand alone purchases, or will it just be offered as pack ins per game bought?
Most games will just have two different cards available and folks who buy two copies will get each card (otherwise it will be random). Some games may have more or less depending on the available art. We're producing enough cards to cover one card per game, plus ~10% extra of each design. Leftovers will be bundled together into randomized packs at the end of the year. Additionally, each card has a silver and gold foil parallel. At some point we'll put some extra cards into orders to encourage trading - that'll probably be in a few months once we've built up excess.

mDLLOv1.jpg

This is the only image I have at the moment. We don't have any finals or proofs in hand yet.

bread's done
Back