Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
Folded posters are worthless.  I'm not 10 years old anymore.  Any legitimate poster comes rolled up in a tube.   Even the freebies they hand out at Gamestop come flat or rolled. 

That being said Wonder Boy looks pretty good.  I will buy 2x of the standard version.  The Sega Master System box art looks very cool. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Folded posters are a drag. Understand it is out of necessity in this situation, in order to fit it into the game case/box. But as someone who collects and frames/displays theatrical quality 27X40 movie posters, I couldn't bear the thought of displaying a folded one, for the reasons everyone else mentioned. I wonder if in the future it would be possible to provide a small rolled poster, like 11x14 or something. I guess that would just increase the shipping fees, though. 

I know this probably seems stupid to many but the large boxes we do for the CEs with special printing techniques cost quite a bit to produce. They're arguably the most expensive part of our CEs.

Please consider them as a part of the CE since it's likely the box that you'll end up displaying on your shelf. If you assess the value of the CE without considering the outer box, you're basically incentivizing us to cut costs there and go with cheaper, less striking, options. You're pretty much telling us that you don't see any value in a premium box and would rather pay less and have us compromise there.

I think that's silly because the box will be on display more than any other component - it should be the best it can be. It can't be if people don't see it as a valuable part of a CE.

Noted on the posters, but unless you want something tiny, there just isn't another feasible way to include one in the package. I don't know about you guys but I *hate* it when CEs have components that don't fit in the box. I have no idea where to put the medallion from my Ultra Despair Girls CE. It just floats around my Vita shelf.

'
Noted on the posters, but unless you want something tiny, there just isn't another feasible way to include one in the package. I don't know about you guys but I *hate* it when CEs have components that don't fit in the box. I have no idea where to put the medallion from my Ultra Despair Girls CE. It just floats around my Vita shelf.
I figured that was the reason, plus if a poster was rolled, it would be added shipping costs. An obvious alternative would be an artbook but I'm guessing that's also a pricey option.

My suggestion is maybe a 'folded' artbook if you guys wanna some something that's between a poster or artbook... basically, it's the same concept as the folded poster except where the folds are basically make boxes and each box is a separate piece of artwork. I remember getting something like that as a pre-order bonus for a game (wanna say it was one of the Metroid Primes) and thought it was cool. Basically the creases are a non-factor for display purposes (since they effectively act like borders) and it's probably the same cost as printing a poster.

Couldn't you take a poster that has a width equal to the height of the box, roll it, place it in a small tube, and place that inside of the CE Box?

I don't know how tall the CE boxes are, but the Dariusburst CS CE box was quite tall if I recall correctly.  Proportionately it wouldn't be a massive poster, but it'd be a decent size, no?

Folded posters are a drag. Understand it is out of necessity in this situation, in order to fit it into the game case/box. But as someone who collects and frames/displays theatrical quality 27X40 movie posters, I couldn't bear the thought of displaying a folded one, for the reasons everyone else mentioned. I wonder if in the future it would be possible to provide a small rolled poster, like 11x14 or something. I guess that would just increase the shipping fees, though.
Except this isn't a theatrical quality movie poster or a Mondo print or something that requires separate handling and framing. I mean come on, it's a fun little folded poster just like we used to get in Sega hard card case games back in the day. I can understand being a collector, but this idea that everything has to be perfectly preserved or it somehow doesn't belong is just getting silly.

Couldn't you take a poster that has a width equal to the height of the box, roll it, place it in a small tube, and place that inside of the CE Box?

I don't know how tall the CE boxes are, but the Dariusburst CS CE box was quite tall if I recall correctly. Proportionately it wouldn't be a massive poster, but it'd be a decent size, no?
Our usual box is 9.5 inches at longest, so the resultant poster would be only slightly bigger than a standard sheet of paper. I'd be disappointed with something like that advertised as a poster. I kind of feel like the smallest legitimate option for a poster is 11 x 17 and we couldn't fit that in our usual boxes. With art books it isn't necessarily the cost that holds us back, it's that art books take a LONG TIME to put together. It's legitimate work that requires a copy writer, layout designer, and artist - a good art book takes months to put together. I feel like I'd get more use out of folded 18 x 24 poster than I would out of an art book that was flimsy or thrown together.

Just to show you guys what I mean by premium boxes: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/892452628269072385

We don't want our boxes to just be a means to an end. We want them to be much more and be beautiful display pieces. That comes at a price, unfortunately. If people don't feel that a premium box is worth the expense - I guess I just don't understand that.

The BioShock 2 CE had 3 very nice rolled posters (with hidden black light messages) inside the box. One of my favorite CE's.

Except this isn't a theatrical quality movie poster or a Mondo print or something that requires separate handling and framing. I mean come on, it's a fun little folded poster just like we used to get in Sega hard card case games back in the day. I can understand being a collector, but this idea that everything has to be perfectly preserved or it somehow doesn't belong is just getting silly.
Haha. Mondo posters are pretty sweet. Not arguing the point you made, I get the throwback aspect of it. It just isn't practical for me now. Doesn't mean it isn't cool to receive it and doesn't mean I would rather people have nothing.

I know this probably seems stupid to many but the large boxes we do for the CEs with special printing techniques cost quite a bit to produce. They're arguably the most expensive part of our CEs.

Please consider them as a part of the CE since it's likely the box that you'll end up displaying on your shelf. If you assess the value of the CE without considering the outer box, you're basically incentivizing us to cut costs there and go with cheaper, less striking, options. You're pretty much telling us that you don't see any value in a premium box and would rather pay less and have us compromise there.

I think that's silly because the box will be on display more than any other component - it should be the best it can be. It can't be if people don't see it as a valuable part of a CE.

Please don't cut corners on the box, this CE box is honestly one of the best CE's boxes I've ever seen, and the main reason I am buying one. I am happy to pay the premium price if future CE's are this cool. Thanks!

There are more fabric-y ones I've seen in a few LE's. They still have some fold lines, but you can put another thin piece of cloth between it, an iron, and gently remove them.

I'm willing to bet they cost more to produce though, and you're adding a step I see a lot of people skipping in the end.

Please don't cut corners on the box, this CE box is honestly one of the best CE's boxes I've ever seen, and the main reason I am buying one. I am happy to pay the premium price if future CE's are this cool. Thanks!
I definitely don't want to cut corners! I love the premium boxes. After seeing the posts in this thread completely neglecting to mention the Wonder Boy box as part of the CE, I'm just worried others may not be keen on paying for a premium box. The box for LawBreakers costs us ~$8/piece. It's absolutely beautiful, though.

The Wonder Boy box has to go through printing twice - the first round prints the grid pattern in a metallic brilliant silver, the second round prints the remaining graphics on top. The stock for the box is a thick 24pt stock that I think people will appreciate when they hold it.

The BioShock 2 CE had 3 very nice rolled posters (with hidden black light messages) inside the box. One of my favorite CE's.
That was the one that came in that HUGE record album size box right? I can see how they had 3 rolled posters in that set, as the box was ginormous. LOL I remember buying a few during a holiday sale one year cheap, but I ended up selling them, so I never did have a look inside.

I definitely don't want to cut corners! I love the premium boxes. After seeing the posts in this thread completely neglecting to mention the Wonder Boy box as part of the CE, I'm just worried others may not be keen on paying for a premium box. The box for LawBreakers costs us ~$8/piece. It's absolutely beautiful, though.

The Wonder Boy box has to go through printing twice - the first round prints the grid pattern in a metallic brilliant silver, the second round prints the remaining graphics on top. The stock for the box is a thick 24pt stock that I think people will appreciate when they hold it.
The CEs are really not bad in price if the box is sturdy which it seems to be. I agree it would be nice to have an artbook even if the price for the CE increases. Still I'm sure the CEs will sell out in less than a minute.

I personally want to see more CEs. I would love a Grim Fandango CE if you guys are able to release it. Out of This World would be nice too.

This release schedule is brutal. I'm torn on some of these collectors editions. They all look so good...

I think I'm gonna pass on all LE/CEs.  I need to stop throwing money at stuff that is just gonna sit and not be appreciated.

If I had the shelf space, I'd agree, but I don't.

Might make an exception for Night Trap, but I'm thinking not.
I'm in the same boat on physical space. I have 2 choose my Collectors editions very wisely. As much as I love my music box Resident Evil 7 collector's edition, that puppy takes a ton of space. I know these are obviously much smaller, but it all adds up.

Lili is an OK game. It's worth a $1 on iOS or on Steam when there is a sale because the actual gameplay is SUPER basic (think whack-a-mole and with the console version ... whack-a-mole as quick time events)... and it's only about 3 hours long. I think this one is more for the flippers/collectors out there than general gamers. Stick with digital. It'll likely be free on PS+ or on sale soon enough for PS4.

I think I'm gonna pass on all LE/CEs. I need to stop throwing money at stuff that is just gonna sit and not be appreciated.
The only LE/CE's I tend to go after are ones that cost the same as standard releases (typically launch day editions like Yakzua Zero and Kiwami Steelbook) or for franchises I'm either bonkers for or one of my kids is. Even Zelda BotW I only wanted a vanilla version because the extras just mean nothing to me. I don't need $8 cardboard boxes from LRG to store... so an easy pass for that stuff. It's kind of stupid they put so much into chotchkeys which seem to always delay shipping games. I already kind of hate the oversized stuff for the Fire Emblem games (Fates Special Edition and Echoes LE) just because they don't fit the height or depth of my shelves. I hate stacking them. I'd prefer just standard sizes so everything can be fairly uniform on my game shelves. I WOULD however love to get posters in games like the old NES days (at no extra cost). They may end up just like most manuals, relegated to never leave their case, but for the right games I'd opt to frame them and put them on display.

[attachment=27463:ghostblade.jpg] Damn, Play Asia just threw down the gauntlet ! The Ghost Blade HD limited release is gonna be hard to do better ! I highly doubt LRG can do better then this, and STILL charge 30 dollars. I know they said they would, but I doubt they can release game, nice outer box, soundtrack etc. and not charge more.

I'm sure there's a reason why Play Asia and their relationship with XYZ developer (east asia etc.) can release something cheaper..... but at the end of the day the consumer sees 30 dollars (not the politics behind a release).

I'm not comparing games, just the extra's.... the actual contents of a CE. In that regard, things like the Wonder Boy CE package is much better is better then the Ghost Blade HD.... However it's double the price. Talking about Wonder Boy though, LRG did a much better job with the standard Wonder Boy release then the one Play Asia has. So when the price points are the same, I think LRG does better and I will always pick up their version of a game.

IMHO I think LRG should just scratch their release and put their time and energy into a different indie game (and not one that's already been released physically to such a high standard). There's way too many quality indie releases that should get a release, instead of just releasing a probably more expensive version of a game that's already been released. That makes as much sense as releasing a physical release of a online only game ;)

tumblr_ntnrklnrlr1ql5yr7o1_r1_500.gif

Lili is an OK game. It's worth a $1 on iOS or on Steam when there is a sale because the actual gameplay is SUPER basic (think whack-a-mole and with the console version ... whack-a-mole as quick time events)... and it's only about 3 hours long. I think this one is more for the flippers/collectors out there than general gamers. Stick with digital. It'll likely be free on PS+ or on sale soon enough for PS4.

The only LE/CE's I tend to go after are ones that cost the same as standard releases (typically launch day editions like Yakzua Zero and Kiwami Steelbook) or for franchises I'm either bonkers for or one of my kids is. Even Zelda BotW I only wanted a vanilla version because the extras just mean nothing to me. I don't need $8 cardboard boxes from LRG to store... so an easy pass for that stuff. It's kind of stupid they put so much into chotchkeys which seem to always delay shipping games. I already kind of hate the oversized stuff for the Fire Emblem games (Fates Special Edition and Echoes LE) just because they don't fit the height or depth of my shelves. I hate stacking them. I'd prefer just standard sizes so everything can be fairly uniform on my game shelves. I WOULD however love to get posters in games like the old NES days (at no extra cost). They may end up just like most manuals, relegated to never leave their case, but for the right games I'd opt to frame them and put them on display.
I am the same way when it comes to LE/CE stuff. I only get them if I am interested in the extra stuff enough to warrant the extra cost, but typically stick to the standard releases and always go for the launch day steel book stuff, which I love when companies do. The last LE I believe I bought was the NXT Edition for WWE 2K17 last year and I only got that because I wanted that code for Nakamura on day one. Thankfully I can skip the WWE 2K18 Cena(Nuff) Edition this year because the things I want like the Season Pass and extra DLC wrestlers are included in the Deluxe Edition, which is rarely worth picking up IMO, but for the price and what you get I feel this one is worth it if you are into the series.

$15 difference for different cover art and a slipcase. IMO not worth it. Anyone know anything about this game?
It's a super casual adventure game with pleasing graphics more suited toward younger gamers. What nightc1 said is accurate, this isn't going to be a game you're buying to play, it'll be to collect/resell.

Out of all of the LRG releases up till now, I think Lili might be the least deserving of a physical release

$15 difference for different cover art and a slipcase. IMO not worth it. Anyone know anything about this game?
It also comes with an artbook. Talking to my wife, she wants me to get the LE because she wants the artbook because she likes the art style of the game. It's also a game my wife would probably like.

A booklet is a book. I've got plenty of hardback art books that are roughly 24 pages. Yes, it's probably the same as a 24-page manual, but only art, but it sounds like it ISN'T in the standard edition.
Yes I realize that. I am not saying it is not an book. If it was hardcover, then I consider it an artbook but it fits in the game case, softcover. So to me its a booklet and very similar to a manual. They shouldn't be calling it a art book but a manual that has some art thrown in there.

Yes I realize that. I am not saying it is not an book. If it was hardcover, then I consider it an artbook but it fits in the game case, softcover. So to me its a booklet and very similar to a manual. They shouldn't be calling it a art book but a manual that has some art thrown in there.
Righto, but it doesn't sound like a manual, if it is strictly 24 pages of art, it's nothing but an artbook. If it has the controls and warnings and stuff, then sure I agree.

I'm sorry, but you provided incorrect information and rather than admitting it, you're now trying to parse words to prove that somehow a 24 page softcover art book is not an art book. Give it up, you're in the wrong here.

Post more stuff like your avatar too. Reminds me I met Tiffany Grant about 4 years ago at a local con. Even did a screening of Infinite Stratos as well.

And yes I got the Ghost Blade HD too from play asia a few days ago too. I honestly just enjoy both Limited Run Games releases and Play Asia too. Knowing me I'll probably end up with both versions anyway.

There are a lot of thick, well made artbooks that don't have a hardcover, so I don't agree with that qualifier you're using.

However, there is a difference between a good artbook, an okay artbook, or a bad artbook, which I think it's what you were trying to imply.

Post more stuff like your avatar too. Reminds me I met Tiffany Grant about 4 years ago at a local con. Even did a screening of Infinite Stratos as well.

And yes I got the Ghost Blade HD too from play asia a few days ago too. I honestly just enjoy both Limited Run Games releases and Play Asia too. Knowing me I'll probably end up with both versions anyway.
df0471b5cbb620eab1f3b27dd6c3d515eb26ca91_hq.gif

$39.99 ($15) seems excessive to me for a slipcover and an artbook that literally goes inside of the case. especially when compared to LRG's release of skullgirls which if i remember correctly included a cd as well for the same price

$39.99 ($15) seems excessive to me for a slipcover and an artbook that literally goes inside of the case. especially when compared to LRG's release of skullgirls which if i remember correctly included a cd as well for the same price
*snip* Agree.

Anyone know if LRG will offer a cover variant for Absolver?  Their busy summer schedule has made it a bit difficult to keep up with LRG news.

bread's done
Back